AR - Fully-Armed Sheriffs Remove 7 Homeschool Children from 'Prepper' Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
corporal punishment is not illegal, we don't know if no shoes in snow was a regular occurrence or a one time playful incident.

This corporal punishment stuff is so mind boggling to me. Do people think it is OKAY for someone to provide corporal punishment to an adult? Say a husband? Is that OK? Say your neighbor is upset with you. OK to apply corporal punishment?

But it is OKAY for a big adult to do corporal punishment?

That implies to me that the adult needs to learn some new skills.

I love this! Major sarcasm.

Apply this to yourself.

Who on this earth would you allow to do this to you?

Why can this be done to children!!!!!!???????

Exactly, but that's the law.

Folks like Hal and Michelle want the law to say that the government can never intervene between a parent and child. Folks like us want the law to say its not OK to hit a kid.

So we end up with a muckety muck in the middle. It's OK to hit your kids but not too hard or without justification.

I'll be sure and let my friends who choose to home school know they really don't hold a candle to the more appropriate public high schools that have weapon scanners at the entrance and they really are depriving their little angels the opportunity to socialize with their "peers."

JMO

Wow MyBelle,

I am just assuming you are responding to my post about my take on Michelle Stanley's video. I am amazed that out of 10 items you picked the one about public schools but I never stated it was better only that the children were receiving an appropriate education. Our local schools do not have nor have ever had weapon scanners although a student did commit suicide by gun in the foyer of the highschool some years ago while my daughter was a witness and a student. Her peers were at my house for days and days in the aftermath, discussing what they could have done to prevent this and how sad they felt for this student's state of mind.

Socialization is a huge part of learning and most of the parents that I know who home school readily admit that their children do not get the social skills they will need in the business world just from home schooling. Most of the home schooling parents I know often encourage their kids to enroll in extra-curricular activities (ie: sports, band, theatre, art, book club, etc) with similar aged peers for this very reason. Learning how to make and keep friends, take turns, keep promises, own up to mistakes, accept that friends are someone who you don't always agree with but will continue to be kind to, etc.

That kind of learning comes from those who do not live with you every day. It comes from being around people who don't think like you all the time, who challenge you to think outside of the box, and those who didn't have your experiences but bring different perspectives and stories, yet someone with whom you still can find common ground.

My little brother attended a very small Christian school (26 kids in 8 grades) together in one room. He mainstreamed to public school in 8th grade and his grades plummeted initially. He was so used to 1:1 instruction and very close supervision that he really struggled with the expectations of public school. Once he got into recognizing that he was responsible for his own behaviors, his homework and his performance - he began to do better. He never attained the "A's" that he got in the small school setting but he was a strong "B" student in public school. He went on and got his degree in engineering and he boasts he is the only engineer he knows that can't do math in his head. He had to work harder and struggle more in public school than some of his peers but he always said it was much better to do to prepare him for college.

Just my experience and my opinions - no snark intended.

Very true. But, hey, the authorities ALWAYS get it right, dontchaknow? Give 'em time and they surely will find something that justifies the emotional trauma to a four-year-old after removing him not only from his home but also his mother. It is all a'ok because the Sheriff, who had been in office more than a week, NEVER makes mistakes and Arkansas CPS is perfect!!

JMO

In fact they don't always get it right and no agency is perfect.

However, that is why there are various checks in place, including the provision of Guardian Ad Litem to ensure that the children are not steamrollered in any conflict between the agency and the parents, each of whom have their own rights, responsibilities and agenda.

BTW--I am still waiting to hear about what ground you believe that the Stanleys will have to sue.

I'll be sure and let my friends who choose to home school know they really don't hold a candle to the more appropriate public high schools that have weapon scanners at the entrance and they really are depriving their little angels the opportunity to socialize with their "peers."

JMO

I don't think that Hal and Michelle are going to get terribly far in arguing that the public schools are equivalent to a parents' worst nightmare--or that they have been sent there to be brainwashed (Hal's words). They are entitled to their own preferences, but to argue that their children are worse off for going to public school is pretty much a losing argument.

They can argue whatever philosophy they want.

Hurting a child or anyone else is not OK. Not OK for me to get hurt. Not OK for me to hurt you

This corporal punishment stuff is so mind boggling to me. Do people think it is OKAY for someone to provide corporal punishment to an adult? Say a husband? Is that OK? Say your neighbor is upset with you. OK to apply corporal punishment?

But it is OKAY for a big adult to do corporal punishment?

That implies to me that the adult needs to learn some new skills.

Not everyone agrees with you - I agree to disagree.

Wow MyBelle,

I am just assuming you are responding to my post about my take on Michelle Stanley's video. I am amazed that out of 10 items you picked the one about public schools but I never stated it was better only that the children were receiving an appropriate education. Our local schools do not have nor have ever had weapon scanners although a student did commit suicide by gun in the foyer of the highschool some years ago while my daughter was a witness and a student. Her peers were at my house for days and days in the aftermath, discussing what they could have done to prevent this and how sad they felt for this student's state of mind.

Socialization is a huge part of learning and most of the parents that I know who home school readily admit that their children do not get the social skills they will need in the business world just from home schooling. Most of the home schooling parents I know often encourage their kids to enroll in extra-curricular activities (ie: sports, band, theatre, art, book club, etc) with similar aged peers for this very reason. Learning how to make and keep friends, take turns, keep promises, own up to mistakes, accept that friends are someone who you don't always agree with but will continue to be kind to, etc.

That kind of learning comes from those who do not live with you every day. It comes from being around people who don't think like you all the time, who challenge you to think outside of the box, and those who didn't have your experiences but bring different perspectives and stories, yet someone with whom you still can find common ground.

My little brother attended a very small Christian school (26 kids in 8 grades) together in one room. He mainstreamed to public school in 8th grade and his grades plummeted initially. He was so used to 1:1 instruction and very close supervision that he really struggled with the expectations of public school. Once he got into recognizing that he was responsible for his own behaviors, his homework and his performance - he began to do better. He never attained the "A's" that he got in the small school setting but he was a strong "B" student in public school. He went on and got his degree in engineering and he boasts he is the only engineer he knows that can't do math in his head. He had to work harder and struggle more in public school than some of his peers but he always said it was much better to do to prepare him for college.

Just my experience and my opinions - no snark intended.

how much are you around home schoolers?

All of my public high schools have weapon scanners that were put in place after a school shooting by a student in another city.
The principal was giving students breathalyzer tests at homecoming ten years ago. I'm not the one who needs a reality check.

JMO
All your public schools in your area are not all public schools in America. Wow these broad generalizations are helpful how?

Wow my concerns are growing outward from the Stanley children to....farther reaches and other families. Appalling the attitudes and lack of respect for our youngest citizens. IMO
I'm reminded of an episode of Mad Men when Betty Draper is getting angry with her husband for not physically disciplining their child. She said to Don something about how he wouldn't be the man he its today if his father hadn't have beaten him. He replied that no, all that did was make him wait and fantasize about the day he could kill his dad or leave.

Attack me for the non-scientific example, but there is a lot of wisdom there, IMO.

[video=youtube;hVY1V8fXBmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVY1V8fXBmY[/video]

Wow my concerns are growing outward from the Stanley children to....farther reaches and other families. Appalling the attitudes and lack of respect for our youngest citizens. IMO
I'm reminded of an episode of Mad Men when Betty Draper is getting angry with her husband for not physically disciplining their child. She said to Don something about how he wouldn't be the man he its today if his father hadn't have beaten him. He replied that no, all that did was make him wait and fantasize about the day he could kill his dad or leave.

Attack me for the non-scientific example, but there is a lot of wisdom there, IMO.
yes, because all of our philosophies should be rooted in mad men, or some equally dopey sitcom , our political theory from John Stewart and our hatred of religion from Dawkins ...we are so enlightened.

yes, because all of our philosophies should be rooted in mad men, or some equally dopey sitcom , our political theory from John Stewart and our hatred of religion from Dawkins ...we are so enlightened.

Wow. That is just RUDE.

Well, if you want to look at the science, corporal punishment is not effective at best, harmful at worst.

We know there are plenty of studies that show the impact of corporal punishment. But as we know, studies do not impress some.

I just know that no one better ever hit me and they better never hit me or my grandhchidren all of whom continue to be fabulous achievers and wonderful people.

New picture of Hal and Michelle posted on the "standing with..." FB site. HS and MS holding a large lettered placard reading "Send the Stanley kids home".

Presumably prepared for the rally tomorrow at the courthouse. They are asking friends and supporters to show up for the hearing, and to wear red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu