TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

I agree that although he deserves to be punished he did have a sad childhood. In episode 2 he was telling how his father made him wave to his mother right before she jumped to her death. How horrific for a 7 year old. I think that event helped usher in his being emotionally twisted.

His mothers death definitely traumatized him even if it turned out he may have embellished some parts.

There was 1 part I remember where he talked about going to his moms funeral as a young child. He said he freaked out there. I think it must have been an open casket.

When I was young I went to a family member open casket funeral and it was good for me to learn about death. I think it helped me learn about it.
I was very young too. I think I was maybe 7 or 8.

Not sure how old he was when he went to his moms. Maybe he was younger than that.

Its a touchy thing for a lot of families whether to bring young kids to open casket funerals.
I suppose the age is the hard thing to know what age is ok to bring a child.

ETA: His situation with his Mom committing suicide is much different than a normal death so I could understand why he may have struggled with it at the funeral. Especially a young boy and his Mom is not coming back.

My 1st funeral was a relative that wasnt close like a Mom, and it was a normal health related death. Much different.

I agree that although he deserves to be punished he did have a sad childhood. In episode 2 he was telling how his father made him wave to his mother right before she jumped to her death. How horrific for a 7 year old. I think that event helped usher in his being emotionally twisted.

Durst says brother lies about mother’s death in HBO show

“On the night my mother died, Robert was not brought to the window by my father, Seymour, and asked to wave to my mother,” he writes. “I, and my three siblings, were awoken and whisked out of our house to our neighbors for the duration of the tragedy. The four of us were together the entire time and none of us witnessed the death of our mother.”

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...ays-brother-lies-about-mothers-death-hbo-show

Durst says brother lies about mother’s death in HBO show

“On the night my mother died, Robert was not brought to the window by my father, Seymour, and asked to wave to my mother,” he writes. “I, and my three siblings, were awoken and whisked out of our house to our neighbors for the duration of the tragedy. The four of us were together the entire time and none of us witnessed the death of our mother.”

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...ays-brother-lies-about-mothers-death-hbo-show

Thanks for the clarification. I do think he embellishes some things but I was pretty convinced his Mom death really affected him from that point on.

It sounded to me that he was very close to her and not so close at all to his father.
So when she died, I think it started the downward spiral in his life.

The younger Durst made it sound like his father was somewhat stern. I wonder if there is any chance the father threw the wife off the balcony. Probably not but something you have to wonder about.

Thanks for the clarification. I do think he embellishes some things but I was pretty convinced his Mom death really affected him from that point on.

It sounded to me that he was very close to her and not so close at all to his father.
So when she died, I think it started the downward spiral in his life.

The younger Durst made it sound like his father was somewhat stern. I wonder if there is any chance the father threw the wife off the balcony. Probably not but something you have to wonder about.

I know it's difficult for families to decide on what is a good age to take a child to a funeral. I do think it was very traumatic for him. He says he was 7. It seemed like he really couldn't grasp what death was,when he said he wanted her out the box. Losing your mother at such a young age is life altering. I'm sure the fact that it was a suicide adds to the pain. But,I have to admit, I wondered what were the circumstances of her suicide. I also wondered if his father had something to do with it.

I have just started The Jinx series. I remember when he was arrested for shoplifting with all of the money on him. Although I fell asleep half-way through the episode 2, several things stood out to me.

-The man's family is scared of him. IMO, they would know him best, and that is very telling. The pictures of he and Kathie Durst's family made me wonder if he was a Jekyll and Hyde of sorts?
-I was floored by the conversations between he and his wife while he was incarcerated pending the trial of his neighbor.... The exact verbiage escapes me right now, but they were talking about his jumpsuit and how comfortable it was and how often he wore it................... I guess they have to talk about all kinds of things, but IMO, that was just bizarre given the circumstances of his incarceration. IMO, a total disconnect. IMO, those conversations also made me think he had Aspergers, and I'm in no way a doctor, just had experience with others with that condition. One of my uncles, now deceased, started his own company that is now a corporation in Oklahoma. He was HIGHLY intelligent, capable of excelling at work, but suffered from Aspergers. It wasn't diagnosed until late in his life, and he died from dementia.
-IMO, he totally lacks empathy and regard for human life, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had murdered other people.
-IMO, he will never tell where his first wife's body is located. From what I have seen and read, he was very "possessive" of her. IMO, maybe he thinks she is his, forever?
-For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of insanity defense, at this point. Unless he is so narcissistic that he thinks he is untouchable. IMO, he seemed to want to be caught.
-I agree with ktgirl in that his conversation, seen in print since I haven't made it that far into the series, makes me think of someone with multiple personality disorder.... Actually, it makes me think of Smeagol/Gollum from Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but that is JMO :moo:
-RD's eyes scare me. IMO, they look like bottomless pits. JMO

I can't wait to see the rest of the series. It will be very interesting to see how this is played out in the court system.

ALL JMO

Here's why I think he may be dual personality:

In episode three he says: "Bob was not in Shipsbottom" He mostly refers to himself as I.
In episode 4 while on the witness stand he says that Janine Pirro was going to renew the investigation into Robert Durst.
Then at another time on the stand he says "It was explained to me that I would have to do the dismemberment." Who explained it to him?
His final monologue sounds like he's talking to someone else as well.
He also seems to have a conscience. Sending the letter to the police. I think he has an evil side and a good side. I think the evil side controls the nice side. That's just my look at it. What do you think?

Steely, when he said ' it was explained to me that I would have to do the dismemberment', that was his lawyers telling him that he couldn't skirt around the issue on the stand. He couldn't say he killed Morris in self defense, then went out for waffles, during which time some magical person came and took care of it for him. He was going to have to own it in order to play the 'self defense' card.

Personally, I don't think he has dual/multiple personalities, I just think that's the way he talks to himself. I may or may not be saying that because I may or may not do the same thing. :D

I may get an email and respond out loud 'You should always listen to Rachael. Duh.'
I may stub my toe and say 'She's a real klutz, that one'
I may do something else dumb and say 'I am a friggin genius, is what!'

I may refer to myself in all sorts of bizarre ways, to myself, out loud.

I may be misreading, but the overall feeling I am getting from articles out there is that he flat out confessed in that bathroom. I've seen headlines and tag lines that say 'He said he killed them all'.

No. He did not say that.

I wonder if it's because the last thing he said prior to 'Killed them all, of course' was 'What the hell did I do', so when you read it sounds as if he is answering his own question. But the reality of it is that there is a good size pause between all of his bizarre statements. I don't think it's wise to assume he was answering. He doesn't say 'I killed them all, of course', which changes everything. Because he mixes those pronouns up all over the place, so you never know who he is actually addressing, I think it will be easy work for his lawyers to destroy the credibility of this statement as confession. For all we know, his thought process leading to that statement was 'What does Andrew think about me now?'

It's super compelling television, no doubt, but I think the star of the trial will be the letter. I cannot imagine how they will even try to talk him out of that.

http://gawker.com/the-other-disappearances-connected-to-robert-durst-1691889568

The Other Disappearances Connected to Robert Durst
Today 11:35am

Thanks Steele! This is the first time I have heard about his dogs. :thud:

Igor, Igor, Igor, Igor, Igor, Igor, and Igor

Perhaps the most disturbing claim against Durst, at least in its specificity and believability, comes from Robert's brother Douglas Durst, and concerns dogs rather than humans.

In a rare interview with the New York Times in January, 2015, Douglas—who described his brother as "a true psychopath"—spoke about the deaths of Robert's seven Alaskan Malamuts named Igor:

Psychopath indeed!

Have not yet read this thread, but, los2188 posted this in a missing person thread..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...rancisco-23-June-1997&p=11599359#post11599359

Coincidentally, have been wondering if he might have been involved in the 1976 dismemberment of a young pregnant uid," Beth"?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...aby-169UFPA-16-22-Dec-76-2&highlight=beth+doe

http://nypost.com/2015/01/21/hbo-documentary-series-probes-mystery-deaths-in-robert-dursts-life/
Jan 21/15
"The turning point came four years into the marriage, in 1976, when, Durst admits, he forced her to have an abortion.

“I said [to Kathie], ‘I told you from the beginning that I didn’t want children,” Durst tells his documentarians, his voice filling with irritation as he seemed to relive the nearly 30-year-old conversation. “Well, you keep the baby, you’re going to get divorced from me. Period."

Steely, when he said ' it was explained to me that I would have to do the dismemberment', that was his lawyers telling him that he couldn't skirt around the issue on the stand. He couldn't say he killed Morris in self defense, then went out for waffles, during which time some magical person came and took care of it for him. He was going to have to own it in order to play the 'self defense' card.

Personally, I don't think he has dual/multiple personalities, I just think that's the way he talks to himself. I may or may not be saying that because I may or may not do the same thing. :D

I may get an email and respond out loud 'You should always listen to Rachael. Duh.'
I may stub my toe and say 'She's a real klutz, that one'
I may do something else dumb and say 'I am a friggin genius, is what!'

I may refer to myself in all sorts of bizarre ways, to myself, out loud.

BBM

:facepalm:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/17/inside-mind-robert-durst/

If a mother’s love can disappear, can’t any emotion? If a mother can disappear, can’t anyone?

Maybe the full, human version of Robert Durst, for all intents and purposes, disappeared at age 7, along with his mother. Maybe that’s why he can assume an alternate identity so completely. Maybe that’s why he can cut up a body and throw it away. And maybe that’s why he can tell investigators that his wife—now missing for so long—simply boarded a train all those years ago, never to be seen, again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/nyregion/robert-durst-to-face-murder-charges-in-los-angeles.html

In a series of telephone interviews as the documentary unfolded, Mr. Durst was not always happy about his portrayal but initially gave little indication that he was afraid of renewed attention by the authorities.

After the third episode, he wondered what else the director, Andrew Jarecki, might have left. He said that the documentary had largely rehashed old territory.

By the fifth episode, Mr. Durst had grown anxious and increasingly angry, his friends and associates said, and felt that the filmmakers had betrayed him.

While he did not know that Mr. Jarecki had been cooperating with investigators, his friends said they were worried he was about to flee the country.

Mr. Durst’s decision to come here and stay in a hotel on a busy stretch of Canal Street, across from the French Quarter, had come about as talk of new evidence began to percolate, said Chip Lewis, another lawyer representing Mr. Durst.

Mr. Durst’s condominium in Houston was being besieged by reporters, and he asked Mr. Lewis if he could leave town. Mr. Lewis said that he could, but that he should stay somewhere close.

“Austin or Dallas or New Orleans,” he said. The next day Mr. Lewis said that he got a call from Mr. Durst at the hotel, and that Mr. Durst had contacted him every day at noon.

Asked what Mr. Durst had been doing in recent days, he said, “What tourists and what an aging hippie would do in New Orleans I suppose.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/17/inside-mind-robert-durst/

If a mother’s love can disappear, can’t any emotion? If a mother can disappear, can’t
Maybe the full, human version of Robert Durst, for all intents and purposes, disappeared at age 7, along with his mother. Maybe that’s why he can assume an alternate identity so completely. Maybe that’s why he can cut up a body and throw it away. And maybe that’s why he can tell investigators that his wife—now missing for so long—simply boarded a train all those years ago, never to be seen, again.

Thanks for this excellent article.

That is a very beautiful pic! I hope she writes her life story one day; she would have much to tell about so many meaningful subjects. The threads woven together in one tapestry would have such redeeming value and leave a legacy to the world that FAR outweighs the tragedy Durst brought into her life.

Prudence, you are amazing in so many ways. May you live in peace and love. [emoji92]
(Obvious fan here)

Bid to move Robert Durst to psych ward denied

<snip>

At a surprise afternoon court hearing, a lawyer for the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office sought authorization to move Durst to the Elayn Hunt Correctional Center in St. Gabriel, La., where he said all “acute prisoners are kept” while in the sheriff’s custody.

“Mr. Durst has a mental condition,” lawyer Blake Arcuri said.

<snip>

But Magistrate Judge Harry Cantrell sided with defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin...“There is no acute mental illness that I’m aware of. I can converse with him very well. He is not incompetent, and his competency is not in question.”

http://nypost.com/2015/03/17/bid-to-move-robert-durst-to-psych-ward-denied/

Bid to move Robert Durst to psych ward denied

<snip>

At a surprise afternoon court hearing, a lawyer for the Orleans Parish Sheriff&#8217;s Office sought authorization to move Durst to the Elayn Hunt Correctional Center in St. Gabriel, La., where he said all &#8220;acute prisoners are kept&#8221; while in the sheriff&#8217;s custody.

&#8220;Mr. Durst has a mental condition,&#8221; lawyer Blake Arcuri said.

<snip>

But Magistrate Judge Harry Cantrell sided with defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin...&#8220;There is no acute mental illness that I&#8217;m aware of. I can converse with him very well. He is not incompetent, and his competency is not in question.&#8221;

http://nypost.com/2015/03/17/bid-to-move-robert-durst-to-psych-ward-denied/

And let the defense ball start rolling.... He is definitely not right but he has nothing that will keep him from prosecution. He found the stamina and wherewithall to help himself in Texas and get off for killing and dismembering someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back