TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

But Galveston Island is certainly not off the map and definitely NOT rural. It's crowded and close to the Strand which always has a ton going on, not to mention it is a substantial cruise port now and the traffic through that area is major. It is not somewhere one goes to hide. He could have gone ANYWHERE. Like Cuba, but someone NAILED it, in that he liked living on the edge, constantly on the verge of getting caught. A pure psycho.

Where he was was a little dinky hole in the wall in a big city he could get lost in where really no one knew him. He went there to hide. He did love skirting around being smarter than everyone else and getting away with things.

Also, wasn't he found with, and I don't quote cause I am not sure, something like 48 grams of weed? That is a felony in and of itself and I believe intent to distribute charge. I think on these charges alone, he would die in prison in NOLA, but I think, by principle he will be tried for murder in LA.

For a first-time offender, the charge of illegally carrying a weapon in the presence of a controlled substance carries a maximum penalty of 10 years, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon carries a maximum of 20 years, according to Orleans Parish district attorney's office spokesman Christopher Bowman.

But for someone with a felony record, the maximum penalty could be life in prison, Bowman said.

Bowman declined to say Thursday whether his office plans to prosecute Durst before he is extradited to California.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-oakland-woman-20150319-story.html

After KC I don't believe in slam dunk anymore.

BBM

Yeah, Robert is so naive since he's had so little experience with LE in the past. :rolleyes:

I don't think there are ever any slam dunks. Because even with great evidence it has to be presented in a way to make sense to the jury. The prosecution in the Black murder failed by playing Durst's game. Not by making sure that they were succinct and called him on his lying and activities. I am no lawyer, I don't even play one on TV, but... I can see big flaws. Big Big flaws.

BBM; Man, his lawyer already has a game plan. That is obvious.

Robert Durst questioned for 3 hours without an attorney, lawyer says

High-powered defense attorney Dick DeGuerin made the claim in an interview with CBS.
Millionaire murder suspect Robert Durst’s lawyer claims a Los Angeles prosecutor grilled his creepy client for three hours without him present.
“A prosecutor came out here and took him aside and, you know, questioned him for three hours,” DeGuerin told “48 Hours Presents” in an episode that airs Saturday.
“I would have hoped they would not try to trick him without his lawyer present.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ned-3-hours-attorney-lawyer-article-1.2157013

I live here. I know exactly where he was. WHere he was was a much smaller scale Bourbon street surrounding area. If he wanted he could have gone far down into the island and never been found, but he didn't. He stayed in the heart of the city, which just like NO is quite gross just off the main, but very populated and a lot of police presence. There are a lot of festivals, the cruise port, the opera house, restaurants, the seawall, etc.

On that note, i pray he doesn't get released and come back here with his creepy latex mask!

data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,7dIg0vl4W2lpFqt47J6o9rIwr7P4YLFUkp3JRc3DqGz7KAF0nsa8ZcILAooeQnQv7Dk33PC-sTyp_SbkpIsUDqkHIHWdqEWJqBnRcQtHtzFq4GlU59Tt9fvoOFfY0GoBI10lKLk9knYp5XReeUF2-pCXKxkYMu5TWLtdMWPNncVaIBZNm9Vy1dZKTTiYWHcDi0cXtSCVSF9V-RiTcFB_mx_P75Ljx18bNmKxnU0xwHWcT852Tap5BENffCiomfUZHDtkeTaLAH-TdPmsvl20BCUCJ1u_l4Ldc_-JUhk

Where he was was a little dinky hole in the wall in a big city he could get lost in where really no one knew him. He went there to hide. He did love skirting around being smarter than everyone else and getting away with things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/n...-personal-papers-used-by-filmmakers.html?_r=0

Only hours before the conclusion of an HBO documentary about Mr. Durst and the murders last Sunday, a State Police investigator, Joseph Becerra, arrived at the home of Susan T. Giordano in Campbell Hall, N.Y., to seize a trove of Mr. Durst’s private papers stored there.

Ms. Giordano said Mr. Becerra told her that she could release the material to him or he would obtain a search warrant and return. Ms. Giordano said she decided to let him have the documents.

The authorities ultimately hauled away about 60 file boxes, Ms. Giordano said, including phone records, bills, family-trust documents, photographs, video depositions from a lawsuit he filed against his brother and transcripts from his 2003 murder trial in Texas, where he was found not guilty of murdering his neighbor.

“He didn’t do this,” said Ms. Giordano, who first met Mr. Durst through mutual friends about 30 years ago. “I’m such a strong believer in him. There’s probably some explanation. I don’t know what it is. I’m still waiting to hear from him.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0318/Could-Robert-Durst-HBO-interview-actually-help-him-video

LOS ANGELES — The whispered words of Robert Durst recorded in an unguarded moment in a bathroom could come back to haunt him — or help him — as he faces a murder charge.

A possible move by prosecutors to introduce the incriminating material from a six-part documentary on his strange life and connection to three killings could backfire as interview footage did in the Michael Jackson molestation trial and the Robert Blake murder case.

In both cases, the defense was allowed under the "doctrine of completeness" to provide segments of interviews that presented their clients favorably without subjecting them to tough cross examination

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0318/Could-Robert-Durst-HBO-interview-actually-help-him-video

LOS ANGELES — The whispered words of Robert Durst recorded in an unguarded moment in a bathroom could come back to haunt him — or help him — as he faces a murder charge.

A possible move by prosecutors to introduce the incriminating material from a six-part documentary on his strange life and connection to three killings could backfire as interview footage did in the Michael Jackson molestation trial and the Robert Blake murder case.

In both cases, the defense was allowed under the "doctrine of completeness" to provide segments of interviews that presented their clients favorably without subjecting them to tough cross examination

And yet if that evidence comes in and the prosecution gets fair and equal application, we have him saying that he killed them all. We have him saying he lied all over the documentary. We have him saying I was in california.. but its a big state..

I think that in the end the use of the documentary will hang him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ned-3-hours-attorney-lawyer-article-1.2157013
“I think people are fascinated by wealth, by strangeness and by mystery,” he said. “And I think that this case has all of those things.”

But, the lawyer added, “I think the case ought to be tried on the facts and not on an effort to win an Emmy.”

The case against Durst is based on a “junk science letter and a bathroom confession,” DeGuerin said.

May be replacement of shunt...this from December 2014:

Crossdressing Robert Durst violated orders to stay away from family: prosecutors

<snip>

Durst blamed the strange behavior on &#8220;hydrocephalus,&#8221; or water on the brain.

<snip>

&#8220;They give me a shunt,&#8221; said the dapper-suited family pariah, showing off a large bump and scar on the side of his head.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/10/crossdressing-robert-durst-busted-for-getting-too-close-to-his-family/

Older adults

Among adults 60 years of age and older, the more common signs and symptoms of hydrocephalus are:

Loss of bladder control or a frequent urge to urinate
Memory loss
Progressive loss of other thinking or reasoning skills
Difficulty walking, often described as a shuffling gait or the feeling of the feet being stuck
Poor coordination or balance
Slower than normal movements in general

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hydrocephalus/basics/symptoms/con-20030706

And yet if that evidence comes in and the prosecution gets fair and equal application, we have him saying that he killed them all. We have him saying he lied all over the documentary. We have him saying I was in california.. but its a big state..

I think that in the end the use of the documentary will hang him.

That's what the article says. If shown in completeness the documentary could help him or hang him...each side could be helped/hurt by it

&#8220;I think people are fascinated by wealth, by strangeness and by mystery,&#8221; he said. &#8220;And I think that this case has all of those things.&#8221;

But, the lawyer added, &#8220;I think the case ought to be tried on the facts and not on an effort to win an Emmy.&#8221;

The case against Durst is based on a &#8220;junk science letter and a bathroom confession,&#8221; DeGuerin said.

A confession is a confession and deguerin just called it that a Confession.. TAKE NOTE PROSECUTION! Mark that interview right there.
If he calls it a confession he believes in it. He does not call it a bathroom statement or whimsy.. but a confession.

A confession is a confession and deguerin just called it that a Confession.. TAKE NOTE PROSECUTION! Mark that interview right there.
If he calls it a confession he believes in it. He does not call it a bathroom statement or whimsy.. but a confession.

IMO DeGuerin is using "confession" sarcastically. The article also says

Durst, 71, was arrested Saturday in New Orleans for the 2000 murder of Susan Berman &#8212; a day before the finale of an HBO documentary about the New York real estate scion in which he appears to confess he &#8220;killed them all, of course.&#8221;

&#8220;I think it was great drama," DeGuerin said of the snippet. &#8220;But it&#8217;s not the truth.&#8221;

http://fox6now.com/2015/03/20/forme...t-case-brings-out-highest-level-of-weirdness/

Days before Christmas 2005, Criss ran into the man whose real estate developer family is among New York&#8217;s wealthiest at Houston&#8217;s The Galleria mall.

Durst, who was on parole at the time, was on his cellphone. He had his head down. &#8220;I was glad because I could get my composure,&#8221; Criss recalled.

It was the first time Criss had seen Durst outside court, &#8220;in the free world,&#8221; as she put it.

&#8220;I needed to not show any fear,&#8221; she remembered thinking. &#8220;I got my poker face on.&#8221;

&#8220;Hey, I know you,&#8221; she said Durst told her.

IMO DeGuerin is using "confession" sarcastically. The article also says

Durst, 71, was arrested Saturday in New Orleans for the 2000 murder of Susan Berman &#8212; a day before the finale of an HBO documentary about the New York real estate scion in which he appears to confess he &#8220;killed them all, of course.&#8221;

&#8220;I think it was great drama," DeGuerin said of the snippet. &#8220;But it&#8217;s not the truth.&#8221;

It does not matter to me. The words matter. He could have used any other phrase but did not.

I think that he is trying to belittle it but it is what it is. And he can not change that.

It does not matter to me. The words matter. He could have used any other phrase but did not.

I think that he is trying to belittle it but it is what it is. And he can not change that.

The context in which words are said matters. He was trying to minimize it (that's his job). It's been labeled a confession in every story after the airing of episode 6. So the lawyer uses "confession" in an air quotes style and clearly states it was used by the film for dramas sake but it's not the truth

The context in which words are said matter. He was trying to minimize it (that's his job). It's been labeled a confession in every story after the airing of episode 6. So the lawyer uses "confession" in an air quotes style and clearly states it was used by the film for dramas sake but it's not the truth

It still does not change that it is indeed a confession. Of course they are going to try and spin it but in the end, It is exactly a confession given under free will, and while miked and he knew it.
My guess is that it is possible that he wanted to be heard. That he was trying to see how far he can push this and still get off. I think he likes this game.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back