Italy’s Highest Appeals Court to Decide Amanda Knox’s Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean will the US immediately arrest her if the guilty verdict is upheld and put her in jail until they get the green light for extridition?
I am curious what will happen to Amanda until the US decides if she will be extradited. Will the US maybe put her on house arrest, pull her passport, put on an ankle monitor, jail her or something so that she will not be able to run till it is settled. I don't have a clue if she is guilty or not. What i can see is her trying to run and she has the financial means to do it. Unless the US government is ready to immediately say no extradition, I cannot see them not doing something. Hope that makes sense.

They have had people from the State Department go to Italy the first time to monitor this case so their is no uncertainly of this case against Knox.

The State Department knows exactly has been going on the whole time.

I think there is a lot of uncertainty that still lays right in the middle of this case.

Good news all... I have had a SMK sighting. Maybe SMK will stop by.

I am curious what will happen to Amanda until the US decides if she will be extradited. Will the US maybe put her on house arrest, pull her passport, put on an ankle monitor, jail her or something so that she will not be able to run till it is settled. I don't have a clue if she is guilty or not. What i can see is her trying to run and she has the financial means to do it. Unless the US government is ready to immediately say no extradition, I cannot see them not doing something. Hope that makes sense.

I can't see them not doing anything either.

:seeya: Hi there !

BBM: Almost every person who has brought up this case to me believe she is "innocent" -- and the reasons they state they believe this is because the Italian system is "corrupt" ... Seriously ...

So then I ask them : what FACTS do you know about the case ? :thud:

It's the usual, well I was watching CNN or HLN ... blah blah blah ... Yep ... opinion from the biased media.

So then I explain how her family HIRED a Public Relations firm, state a few FACTS, and then it's the same ole same ole that the Italian system is "corrupt" :thud:

Most IMO have "no clue" ... just believe the talking heads ... yada yada yada ...

:moo:
RBBM

I tend to follow a lot of international cases and I hear/read that a lot but most often when the defendants are english speaking in a non-english speaking country. Make of that what you will but it's hard to fathom how much corruption, ineptitude and medievalry apparently goes on everywhere else in the world. ;)

Some people may choose not to believe this but were I to commit a crime, I personally would much prefer be on European soil than American. No indeterminate sentencing, the automatic right to appeal on any grounds, more than one appeal, rehabilitative imprisonment and a nice snuggly blanket of human rights to cover up with (country depending, of course).

All JMO

its amazing to me that the Italian jurists are apparently having a difficult time making a decision when so many here are SO CERTAIN their opinions are so correct, not to mention obvious. Whats taking so long if its so dam clear, as many of you like to make it out?

Im sure you have answers for this.

No. Extradition has to be requested by Italy first. She can't be taken into custody until and unless a federal arrest warrant is signed. She may also be detained in US custody while extradition is being decided but bail is granted on a case by case basis.

It turns out that U.S. federal law has a provision allowing for arrest prior to an extradition request. Here's the legal language:

18 U.S. Code § 3187 - Provisional arrest and detention within extraterritorial jurisdiction

The provisional arrest and detention of a fugitive, under sections 3042 and 3183 of this title, in advance of the presentation of formal proofs, may be obtained by telegraph upon the request of the authority competent to request the surrender of such fugitive addressed to the authority competent to grant such surrender. Such request shall be accompanied by an express statement that a warrant for the fugitive’s arrest has been issued within the jurisdiction of the authority making such request charging the fugitive with the commission of the crime for which his/her extradition is sought to be obtained.
No person shall be held in custody under telegraphic request by virtue of this section for more than ninety days.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 824.)​

Funny, that bit about using a telegraph! (Obviously, cuz the law was codified almost 70 years ago.) I assume the idea behind this is that people who learn that they have been convicted abroad might try to evade arrest in the U.S. by hiding or leaving the country, and a rapid arrest would put a stop to that.

I have no idea if the Italian authorities will make such a request. But I did read that Raffaele Sollecito was followed to his home in Bari by six policemen, and I presume this is to keep him in sight so that if the Italian Supreme Court upholds the guilty conviction he can be arrested immediately.

its amazing to me that the Italian jurists are apparently having a difficult time making a decision when so many here are SO CERTAIN their opinions are so correct, not to mention obvious. Whats taking so long if its so dam clear, as many of you like to make it out?

Exactly right.

Have you seen the number of pages the Nencini motivation report is composed of, plus the defendants appeal documents. They have A LOT to go through.

Have you seen the number of pages the Nencini motivation report is composed of, plus the defendants appeal documents. They have A LOT to go through.

I hope they are debating guilt or innocence and not international politics!

Their verdict will have to be backed up by a motivation report as well. Meaning they have to write like a 100+page report on how/why the verdict was reached. Yes they have 90 days post verdict to write it but they still have to have covered all points while deliberating. The long time makes total sense to me.

Is that even legal in Italy? submit a 306 page appeal before your final verdict is rendered?

Apparently they aren't. Verdict in 10 minutes according to twitter.

From Andrea Vogt:

Andrea Vogt @andreavogt · 5m 5 minutes ago

Alert: Possible ruling in the next half hour. #amandaknox

It turns out that U.S. federal law has a provision allowing for arrest prior to an extradition request. Here's the legal language:

18 U.S. Code § 3187 - Provisional arrest and detention within extraterritorial jurisdiction

The provisional arrest and detention of a fugitive, under sections 3042 and 3183 of this title, in advance of the presentation of formal proofs, may be obtained by telegraph upon the request of the authority competent to request the surrender of such fugitive addressed to the authority competent to grant such surrender. Such request shall be accompanied by an express statement that a warrant for the fugitive’s arrest has been issued within the jurisdiction of the authority making such request charging the fugitive with the commission of the crime for which his/her extradition is sought to be obtained.
No person shall be held in custody under telegraphic request by virtue of this section for more than ninety days.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 824.)​

Funny, that bit about using a telegraph! (Obviously, cuz the law was codified almost 70 years ago.) I assume the idea behind this is that people who learn that they have been convicted abroad might try to evade arrest in the U.S. by hiding or leaving the country, and a rapid arrest would put a stop to that.

I have no idea if the Italian authorities will make such a request. But I did read that Raffaele Sollecito was followed to his home in Bari by six policemen, and I presume this is to keep him in sight so that if the Italian Supreme Court upholds the guilty conviction he can be arrested immediately.
Thank you. This answers my question.

Between them, Knox and Sollecito submitted appeals that ran to hundreds of pages. At some point after today, a written report has to be made explaining the decision of the Supreme Court judges.

I believe that the panel of judges is going through all of the dozens and dozens of issues raised by the defense and establishing a consensus among them as to what legal argument is applicable to each point and should be included in their forthcoming written motivation.

So I don't think their task is particularly difficult (they are experienced jurists), but it is long and painstaking.

They have had all of that before them since the appeal was filed. What they are (more than likely) haggling about is whether "National Pride" should win out over the absolute dearth of any physical evidence against Amanda and Rafaelle that has been pointed out by many qualified experts in DNA testing (Dr. Perter Gill for one) and crime scene investigation.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member