SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks ... lets all play nice and cut the snark and personal snipes towards other posters.

Y'all know what happens when this stuff gets out of hand.

Thanks !!

Why would the car have been stolen. Are we just dreaming up scenarios here?

<self snipped>

So of COURSE it was stolen. :rolleyes:

(Extreme sarcasm here. Just tired of seeing this kind of innuendo over and over when the fact is an UNARMED man was murdered by a cop).

Just keep on making excuses for the murder suspect. <self snip>

(BTW, CoolJ: none of this directed at you, or actually anyone on particular. Just amazed that there are now "stolen car" scenarios to justify murder.).

3202d77f.gif

Walter Scott owed more than $18,000 in child-support payments and had a bench warrant for his arrest when he was fatally shot by a South Carolina police officer, according to court documents obtained by NBC News.

[...]

Scott owed a total of $18,104 in back child-support, the documents obtained by NBC News show. His last payment was on July 20, 2012, according to the paperwork. The bench warrant for his arrest had been active since a January 16, 2013, court hearing. At that time, Scott had owed $7,836 &#8212; but the amount had increased to more than $18,000 at the time of his death.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

So, in a matter of 2¼ years, the amount increased 250%?!? It's very hard for me to accuse someone of being a "deadbeat dad" when their child support increases exponentially. I'll reiterate, imho, these sort of fines system set up supporting parents for failure. And again, in light of this, I am not really surprised he ran. Not the best or smartest move but I can certainly understand it.

The child support would continue to accrue until paid, plus it would contain interest just as unpaid IRS taxes accumulate. The $18,000 doesn't strike me as being unreasonable. It goes to show how unpaid debts pile up rapidly. I think anyone who doesn't pay their debt to support their own children absolutely is a deadbeat.

JMO

Tricia, I was apparently in the midst of writing my sarcastic post when you posted this. I didn't intend for it to look like I posted something sarcastic in response to you asking for it to stop!! Sorry, and please remove my post if necessary.

Well, carp. Mine, too.

Sorry Tricia. I just got pretty bowed up reading that Mr. Scott must have stolen the car. Because, uM, WHAAAT? Mr. Scott is dead and not charged with murder. Or car theft. And he is the VICTIM.

But I do apologize and will bow out. God bless Mr. Scott's family, especially that sweet Mom of his. <3

MyBelle
Excellent point.
The license plate is there in pix.

It seems nearly everyone else on fringes stepped up for their 15 min. of fame.

Speculating w no basis in fact: if car had been stolen, and Mr Scott (perhaps unknowingly) was driving car,
seems likely the owner would surface in MSM or SM, perhaps involuntarily.

I think the fact that he couldn't produce the insurance or registration--both usually kept in a glove box for the very purpose of traffic stops--would raise a red flag to the Officer that the car possibly was stolen. The Officer could have been running the plates when Scott decided to flee. It is interesting that this bit of information about ownership of the car has been withheld from the public.

JMO

The child support would continue to accrue until paid, plus it would contain interest just as unpaid IRS taxes accumulate. I think anyone who doesn't pay their debt to support their own children absolutely is a deadbeat.

JMO

Do you perhaps have a link to support what you are saying? I have been under the impression that child support stopped accruing after the child reached 18 or graduated high school but that any arrearages from before that remain collectable, even if the "child" is well into adulthood and paid to the person who actually supported the child. Also, I've never heard on interest on child support. I have heard of the child support agency getting an administrative fee however.

Scott didn't stay current with his child support payments. Still not a reason to be killed, especially since the cop didn't even know that about the victim.

No. No I shouldn't. You may. But please do not tell me that I should consider anything simply because you do. I don't think you get to tell other people how to think or post.

ETA: if you have a link to show that the car was stolen (not Brietbart), then please post it.

I think the fact that he couldn't produce the insurance or registration--both usually kept in a glove box for the very purpose of traffic stops--would raise a red flag to the Officer that the car possibly was stolen. The Officer could have been running the plates when Scott decided to flee. It is interesting that this bit of information about ownership of the car has been withheld from the public.

JMO

Twenty year old car valued at less than $2000 is not usually the kind of car that gets stolen. There are stats out there about what kind of vehicles get stolen most often. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/08/18/the-most-stolen-new-and-used-cars-in-america/
Here&#8217;s the list of the 10 most stolen cars from all model years taken during 2013, according to the NICB, with total units cited:

Honda Accord, 53,995
Honda Civic, 45,001
Chevrolet Silverado, 27,809
Ford F-150, 26,494
Toyota Camry, 14,420
Dodge/Ram Pickup, 11,347
Dodge Caravan, 10,911
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, 9,272
Toyota Corolla, 9,010
Nissan Altima, 8,892

Taxpayers do get reimbursed! I personally know people who have repaid! and it's not just men, but also women. My friend's daughter got caught not reporting child support, (while on welfare), and yes, when she was caught, she had to pay it back out of her own pocket. moo

Taxpayers don't personally get reimbursed because the repaid child support goes to the State's coffers to help pay for all those workers it had to hire to go after child support in the first place.

JMO

ETA: if you have a link to show that the car was stolen (not Brietbart), then please post it.

I've not read BB in years.

BTW, I never said the car was stolen. I said that it is normal to suspect the car was stolen considering the words and actions of Scott.

No. No I shouldn't. You may. But please do not tell me that I should consider anything simply because you do. I don't think you get to tell other people how to think or post.

Insert LE for the word you.

Do you perhaps have a link to support what you are saying? I have been under the impression that child support stopped accruing after the child reached 18 or graduated high school but that any arrearages from before that remain collectable, even if the "child" is well into adulthood and paid to the person who actually supported the child. Also, I've never heard on interest on child support. I have heard of the child support agency getting an administrative fee however.

Scott didn't stay current with his child support payments. Still not a reason to be killed, especially since the cop didn't even know that about the victim.

Lol, I have posted before about the enviable lifestyle my dad lived after my parents' divorce, with girlfriends barely older than me, and vacation homes in some prime places, while my Mom worked like a dog to pay for our college because Dad claimed "broke".

But she didn't shoot him 8 times in the back. Even though the impulse may have crossed her mind. (and I love him, but I sort of "get" that)

That is what separates thoughtful humans from impulsive Cretans.

Anyway, this officer was not in a position to play judge, jury and executioner. But he still did. Hope he reaps what he has sown. (not death, though. I cannot thumbs-up on the DP). Sorry.

Just amazed that there are now "stolen car" scenarios to justify murder.).
bbm sbm

Sorry you interp'ed what I explicitly labelled as 'Speculation, w no basis in fact' about possibility car being stolen,
as my conclusion that killing was justified.
Off & on, posts have commented - wondering why the car owner (if it did not yet belong to Scott) has not bn identified.
Essentially I was chiming in, to wonder about that too.

I think ppl re-reading earlier posts will see possibility of stolen car was not listed a justification for killing.

Thx for re-reading.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Originally Posted by MyBelle I agree. I've noticed no one in the media has managed to come up with the "neighbor" who supposedly owns the Mercedes.JMO"

"al66pine:
MyBelle
Excellent point.
The license plate is there in pix.

It seems nearly everyone else on fringes stepped up for their 15 min. of fame.

Speculating w no basis in fact: if car had been stolen, and Mr Scott (perhaps unknowingly) was driving car,
seems likely the owner would surface in MSM or SM, perhaps involuntarily
."

People in South Carolina have 45 days to change the title on the car.

Hi Everyone,

It has been a busy day and I admit I am not caught up on this thread. With that being said unless it has been confirmed that Walter Scott stole the car please do not state this as a fact.

I have little patience for people who assume something like this. Please do not discuss unless confirmed.

Thank you

When I watched the video and heard Slager say taser three times I thought that was when Scott allegedly
took or tried to take the taser. Until this new video comes out with the other guy. He says it there to warn others that
he is about to use the taser.

So that must have been when he employed the taser on Scott. Very soon after Scott took off
and while still close to the cruiser.

While I do not think in any way that the man should have been shot, I am just doubtful Slager will be indicted and convicted.

RSBM. If this turns out that Slager is not indicted and convicted of something, even a lesser charge, I'm afraid Ferguson will look like a trip to Disney compared to public reaction should Slager walk in this case.

JMO

Because the ownership of the car isn't in question. NO ONE has come forth to say their vehicle matching that car has been stolen. In a case as high profile as this, are we to believe that would get overlooked?

No, because the car wasn't stolen. It was his car. Whether he had "just bought it" or not, he was driving it lawfully.

Whoops, just saw Tricia's post about the car. My apologies againnnnnnn! lol I'm on a roll.

I've not read BB in years.

BTW, I never said the car was stolen. I said that it is normal to suspect the car was stolen considering the words and actions of Scott.

What you said was "of COURSE you should consider the car stolen".

And it is not imperative that I, nor any other poster do so.

By saying that anyone should of course consider the car stolen, I would expect a MSM link of some kind to back that up.

You can, I am sure, see how otherwise that may be inflammatory and inciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.