SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Originally Posted by SStarr33 LOL, notice anything unusual in that photo"

Yeah concealed fasteners like 2 dollars more a square foot, nicer finish though.

I take it
- SStarr33 ref'ed photo is Fulton w tool in hand. Or a diff pix? (I hit paywall w post & courier)
- EllieMae ref'ed the subfloor he's working on?

Staged photo? Missing safety glasses for eye protection, w auto stapler or nailer? What? What? Pls.

Yep I'm in the same boat. Who knows why he ran?

But, since this thread is littered with examples of dreamt up scenarios to attack Mr. Scott's character. I figure it is ok to speculate with an example that questions the character of former officer Slager. Considering his past history of course.
right....so many concoctions, smh. I read a NYT article about Slager's early life, (I was hoping to gain insight on what led him to do this), but all I walked away with was, he was a loner who had a hard time socializing and wasn't athletic. His mother said he doesn't seem to be aware of the attention he has garnered, but also said she thinks he's 'scared to death'...A former neighbor seems to think that 'something happened in the training' that caused Slager to become 'desensitized' after joining the Police Department. Idk about that because I don't care for the subtle shift of blame here. Imo, people should take responsibility for their own actions. But, desensitization is a possibility, although not an excuse, by any means... because desensitization doesn't take away the knowledge of when to use deadly force and desensitization doesn't take away the knowledge of right from wrong. moo

LOL, notice anything unusual in that photo?

Yeah concealed fasteners like 2 dollars more a square foot, nicer finish though.

"Originally Posted by SStarr33 LOL, notice anything unusual in that photo"

I take it
- SStarr33 ref'ed photo is Fulton w tool in hand. Or a diff pix? (I hit paywall w post & courier)
- EllieMae ref'ed the subfloor he's working on?

Staged photo? Missing safety glasses for eye protection, w auto stapler or nailer? What? What? Pls.

I am so lost.

The actions of the officer. Something the officer said or did that made him feel like he was not safe, imo. Him calling his mom for bail means he was taking it in stride..

So do you think the dash cam video was altered? Because from what I saw of it, Slager was very nice to him.

This snippet under the photo of Fulton with another officer is really odd. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150413/PC16/150419740/1177

SLED interviewed Pierre D. Fulton, the passenger in Walter Scott’s car seen in the police video, and did not file charges.

Why *would* they file charges? Why even mention that they hadn't since there doesn't seem to be any reason as to why they would consider filing charges against him... ??????

I think most police officers are desensitized to a point. They see the worst of the worst, just like ER doctors, war veterans and what not. 99.99% of those people never murder anyone. I agree desensitized doesn't excuse the behavior at all. IMO.

This entire thing is just sad. Nothing but modern day debtors prison. Our system is so messed up. First the government probably spends more money trying to collect back child support, and locking these guys up, then it would to just use welfare money to pay the child support. Then the dads wouldn't be losing their jobs, and would be paying taxes to support the system.

Instead of that, we have what happened here. Now taxpayers will have to foot the bill for a million dollar wrongful death lawsuit, and the back child support, instead of just a few thousand dollars of welfare. Taxpayers are out millions of dollars instead of thousands, and a guy is dead.

BBM

If people start adding up the cost of these unnecessary actions by LE, things will soon change. Imo, the realization of how widespread this is, the cost aspect will most certainly start to play a role.

What will former officer Slager alone cost the taxpayers with all three cases currently against him? Investigation time, DA time, court costs, settlements awarded - times that by all of the LE cases on the books of various cities - yikes!

This snippet under the photo of Fulton with another officer is really odd. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150413/PC16/150419740/1177

Why *would* they file charges? Why even mention that they hadn't since there doesn't seem to be any reason as to why they would consider filing charges against him... ??????

Maybe it was the writer of the article that asked if there were any charges agaisnt the passenger? Maybe they asked because if they hadn't they wouldn't have been told, maybe. jmo

He could have been caught in the act of stealing a car, took off like he did, and the shooting still wouldn't make sense to me :dunno:

Agreed, if he stole car (not saying he did, just for your hypo) and ran only.
But ^ not the only things he did imo.

As many of us saw in screen grab of from vid - posted by KEVINinTO - where aqua-shirted man is above LEO -
it appeared both Slager & Scott were down on the ground in the alley. Perhaps one kneeling.
Some of the disagreement stems from not knowing exactly what each of them did.
Part of stems from our individual interps of where line is drawn -
1. resisting arrest &
2. assaulting an LEO.

Some imply it was ~not a 'real fight' not an attack on LEO, so no fear of life, so shooting was not justified.
To some screen grab makes the difference, in showing there was some kind of fight.
Scott at least resisted arrest, because if not resisting arrest, why was he not laying down, submitting to cuffs?

Personally IDK if justified but Scott did more than just run (& in your hypo, steal car, not a fact, just speculation)
JM2cts and I may be wrong.

People don't get arrested for broken brake lights. And unless there was imminent danger of harm to himself or others, Slager should not have used deadly force. Running/fleeing/failing to comply with the directive of an officer did not constitute imminent danger of harm to Slager or anyone else. That's why this is a murder case.

Drivers don't usually disobey an officer's directive to stay in a vehicle. Such an act could be a sign of mental instability. Resisting arrest and assaulting a cop does constitute imminent danger. There has been a murder charge but whether it will result in an indictment remains to be seen.

JMO

Drivers don't usually disobey an officer's directive to stay in a vehicle. Such an act could be a sign of mental instability. Resisting arrest and assaulting a cop does constitute imminent danger. There has been a murder charge but whether it will result in an indictment remains to be seen.

JMO

My point was that Walter Scott was not under arrest when he was in the car or when he got out the first or second times. He was being detained, lawfully, for a traffic stop. I don't know why or how the concept of Scott being under arrest has gained so much traction because he wasn't. After the "scuffle" (unknown happenings), Scott ran. Scott was running when he was shot in the back five times out of eight shots fired by Slager.

My point was that Walter Scott was not under arrest when he was in the car or when he got out the first or second times. He was being detained, lawfully, for a traffic stop. I don't know why or how the concept of Scott being under arrest has gained so much traction because he wasn't. After the "scuffle" (unknown happenings), Scott ran. Scott was running when he was shot in the back five times out of eight shots fired by Slager.

Mr. Stewart said the coroner had told him that Mr. Scott was struck five times — three times in the back, once in the upper buttocks and once in the ear — with at least one bullet entering his heart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/u...-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

bbm

I am so lost.

me too. But i'm thinking that if they can try to smear the passenger than that would also smear Mr. Scott. Even though this man has zero to do with the fact that Slager murdered Mr. Scott.

Does a shooting after a physical altercation with a cop and resisting arrest make sense to you? Because it sure does to me.

JMO

Absolutely not! Resisting arrest is not a valid reason to shoot. Shooting AFTER a physical altercation is not valid. In most cases, shooting during a physical altercation is not valid either. If an officer believes there is a SERIOUS threat to themselves or others, okay then shoot. If they can't handle a physical altercation maybe they should find another job. I'm really struggling to understand those who think it's okay for police to shoot someone running away just because they were in a fight or struggle a few moments earlier.

Absolutely not! Resisting arrest is not a valid reason to shoot. Shooting AFTER a physical altercation is not valid. In most cases, shooting during a physical altercation is not valid either. If an officer believes there is a SERIOUS threat to themselves or others, okay then shoot. If they can't handle a physical altercation maybe they should find another job. I'm really struggling to understand those who think it's okay for police to shoot someone running away just because they were in a fight or struggle a few moments earlier.

Imo, LE actions of late lead me to think they are a little on the wussy side these days. Funny how most, if not all similar cases involve male LE. Are they missing a kahuna or two?

Mr. Stewart said the coroner had told him that Mr. Scott was struck five times — three times in the back, once in the upper buttocks and once in the ear — with at least one bullet entering his heart.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/u...-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

bbm
but yet...'Slager, who said he felt threatened because Scott had taken the device, fired eight .45-caliber bullets from his Glock 21. Five of them plunged into Scott’s body. In Slager’s radio communications that local and state agencies released Wednesday after the newspaper pointed out that they were public record, the officer said that Scott had been shot in the chest and the buttocks'. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150408/PC16/150409421/1177 moo

What did Slager know at the time Scott ran? He only knew what Scott had told him. The video and audio were working. What you do not hear is Slager "calling it in" or getting a report or notice that Scott even had a bench warrant. Seventeen seconds. That's how long it took for Slager to walk away from the mercedes and for Scott to attempt to get out of the car the first time. Some seconds were spent with Slager telling Scott to stay in the car. Twelve seconds later, Scott was out and running for the last time in his life. Slager stopped Scott for a broken third brake light. That is all there is to that. One could postulate that Slager intended to only issue a written warning based on the lack of radio communication prior to Scott's final run. Perhaps he never intended to check out the car's registration. It's really hard to know what this accused killer was thinking.

I kinda wonder if Slager said something to Scott that scared the crap out of him, hence running off.

Or did Scott only run after the tasing? I need to go back and look again....

Santana should not have left. He had evidence that he left the scene with. However, he is not charged with obstruction or any other crime and I find his reaction of leaving the scene to be within the realm of normal given the situation (where a government official just shot an unarmed man in the back) to be completed understandable although probably less than lawful. Also, he didn't keep the evidence (video) for a month or a year. In the scheme of things, he turned it over pretty quickly.

Were I in Santana's position, I'd have been scared chitless, too. And may not have EVER gone to LE with my video. I would like to think I would, but, yeah, I also like to not be harassed, targeted, or killed. Or have my family harmed.

Geez, look at the nastygrams this poor guy has gotten on this thread alone.

I say he has more guts than I do, for sure.

but yet...'Slager, who said he felt threatened because Scott had taken the device, fired eight .45-caliber bullets from his Glock 21. Five of them plunged into Scott’s body. In Slager’s radio communications that local and state agencies released Wednesday after the newspaper pointed out that they were public record, the officer said that Scott had been shot in the chest and the buttocks'. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150408/PC16/150409421/1177 moo

Former officer Slager seemed to have no fear that he would ever be questioned on where the bullets actually hit Scott. Imo, Slager felt he could count on his superior officers to help him out of that discrepancy. The superior officer that said Slager should go home for a few and decompress needs a little more scrutiny here imo, otherwise these incidents will continue. It's not just the front line guys that are a costly problem. Jmo.

“I know why he ran away. We know why he ran away. Everybody knows why he ran away now,” Anthony Scott said. “I wasn’t saying it before, but it’s out there now.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...on_type_map=["og.comments"]&action_ref_map=[]

In 2003, child support payments were automatically drafted from Scott’s paycheck. Back then, he earned about $800 a month. It is unclear how much money he made at Brown Distribution.

“If God ever blessed me and I came into some money, I’d help,” Scott told the newspaper 12 years ago.

I like how back in 2003, 12 years ago he said how he would like to HELP with the financial needs of his children. What a guy. jmo idk

Well getting shot in the back while running away wiped the world clean of this guy, so we can have a big ole party now. Because child support equals murder. So YAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling