Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to be honest and admit that the long article about Perryville bothers me. I didn't feel good or happy reading about the deplorable conditions, the lack of medical care, suicides and deaths- it made me sick actually.

I despise the inmate we are all here for but the death of Powell, who was serving 3 years for prostitution was heart breaking to me. I couldn't stand to watch an animal suffer- even a rabid one who was caged for attacking or killing someone. I do not believe in torture. I know the murderer Arias tortured Travis but that is where I differ from her- I don't wish that on anyone. How is it that we barely put people to death but we will torture them mercilessly and endlessly in the conditions of our prisons? How is Perryville on the radar as an international abuser of human rights? OMG that frightens me- there are some really bad places out there.

I am sorry- I hate the inmate, I despise her, but I do not take comfort in the ideas being brought forward. I need a break, I guess.

I agree, Frigga. If conditions are that deplorable something should be done. Maybe AZ residents should gang up on their legislators for legislation to ensure that justice is served in a humane manner.

One thing to consider, though, is that some of the articles out there were written by a former inmates of the facility. Others are authored by various groups with specific agendas. Nothing justifies torture and inhuman conditions but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility that anyone writing such articles could and probably does have an agenda and accuracy in their reporting is often not conducive to it.

I'm with you Frigga. If conditions are that bad something really should be done. I understand punishment and for me, I would prefer she be stabbed 29 times and throat slit and shot in the face while naked and trying to escape because that is what she did, but that is not how our system works. I don't care if she is hot as in heat hot, but I think it's inhumane to run the heater at full blast during the summer if it is true that they do that. I thought the video on Locked up in America that someone posted above was very interesting. I would like to see one of the solitary in the female prison though because guys are different than females. It is hard to know what is the truth about conditions there or really about anything because "truth" seems to be a relative word these days and not many people are concerned about reporting it JMO.

Remember at sentencing when the killer was griping about the audacity of the Alexanders to be photographed showing thumbs down? As upset as that photo seems to have made her, if she sees the photos of the whole group smiling and celebrating the end of the Arias Era, she'll probably have a stroke.
She's allowed mail,right? Maybe we can send them to her.

Hmm I do still see a smirk. I see it as her look tough face and I do think she is angry and cannot believe what is happening at that moment.

To me, her mug shot looks like she's pouting. She so doesn't have control over this situation....

arias-jpg.jpg

#defeated

She's wearing a used T shirt. There will be many more of these to come while on Restrictive Housing, since she's not allowed to buy her own, evidently. She will exchange dirty for clean at shower time. Also at shower time she will be shackled.

I disagree. I don't think you give JSS enough credit. Noone had to have a talking to with her to make her give LWOP. She has never liked Jodi. She bent over backward to preserve the conviction upon appeal. AZLawyer even told us before the start of this phase that Death was different in AZ.

At Jodi's sentencing, JSS seems to be have been as matter-of-fact and stern as at her other sentencing events. Plus, she added a very terse sentence to the sentencing order, something to the effect: Ms. Arias should not be released for any purpose at any time for the rest of her natural life." I'll bet JSS thought for quite a long time about what she might say and boiled it down to this one damning sentence. It came out much like waiting at the DMV, having your number called, and BAM! onto the next person, no embellishment at all. I think JSS's one sentence statement is genius: basically, she doesn't give Jodi the time of day, no more attention.

Who will join me in sending the pictures of the Alexander's party with Juan and Det Flores to the Butcher of Yreka when she is eligible for mail?

She would delight in seeing the big smiles and happy comrade of all those in attendance. It would make her day, don't you think? [emoji6]

She might not be able to receive photos of her victims. Plus, there are only certain days in the year when she can have a photo taken with a visitor. ALV maybe?

I disagree. I don't think you give JSS enough credit. Noone had to have a talking to with her to make her give LWOP. She has never liked Jodi. She bent over backward to preserve the conviction upon appeal. AZLawyer even told us before the start of this phase that Death was different in AZ.

I agree with dog.gone.cute in principal. I don't think JSS had to be "told" to give LWOP, but d.g.c is absolutely correct that it was like night and day when it came time for JSS to rule on the sentence. Her speech was tight and concise and contained zero fluff or delay. It got right to the point and told exactly what happened in summary form. I really think the jury could have/should have taken no more than 15 minutes of deliberating to come up with a verdict (any verdict). It wasn't that tough. List aggravators and mitigators. Discuss. Which one is more significant. Done. That's what JSS did in the last moments, but a far far cry from how she behaved the whole rest of both trials.

As for what discipline the killer could get for infractions if she is already in the most restrictive setting, it would probably be just added time in that setting. She has to earn privileges and will either not earn any or will lose some if that she might have earned. Basically I think the restrictions will be in place until she "gets it." Meaning, when she is ready and willing to play by their rules, not hers, she can be moved to a less restrictive setting. But my understanding is she could come back to the restrictive area at any time in the future if her behavior warrants it.

I don't know any of this to be fact. It's all a guess on my part.

Also, I believe her status can only be reviewed every 30 days, and no appeal is allowed except for if they added up her scores incorrectly at intake. You'd better believe, Jodi's going to try that appeal.

I'll bet Jodi cried before that mug shot just so it would look like she had mascara and pinked-up cheeks. She had her eyebrows plucked, too. I can't believe she was allowed this makeup while in stripes and shackles.

I have to be honest and admit that the long article about Perryville bothers me. I didn't feel good or happy reading about the deplorable conditions, the lack of medical care, suicides and deaths- it made me sick actually.

I despise the inmate we are all here for but the death of Powell, who was serving 3 years for prostitution was heart breaking to me. I couldn't stand to watch an animal suffer- even a rabid one who was caged for attacking or killing someone. I do not believe in torture. I know the murderer Arias tortured Travis but that is where I differ from her- I don't wish that on anyone. How is it that we barely put people to death but we will torture them mercilessly and endlessly in the conditions of our prisons? How is Perryville on the radar as an international abuser of human rights? OMG that frightens me- there are some really bad places out there.

I am sorry- I hate the inmate, I despise her, but I do not take comfort in the ideas being brought forward. I need a break, I guess.

So true. What's really sad about Perryville is that when you think of all the suicides, and deaths from medical neglect or the elements, it amounts to a death sentence for some pretty small crimes. That is not justice.

Arias, being the celebrity that she is, will be insulated (or as she says, "incubated") from such inhumane treatment. She'll be fine. But my heart goes out to those who've effectively suffered punishment way out of line with any crime they committed, or the sentences they were given.

So true. What's really sad about Perryville is that when you think of all the suicides, and deaths from medical neglect or the elements, it amounts to a death sentence for some pretty small crimes. That is not justice.

Arias, being the celebrity that she is, will be insulated (or as she says, "incubated") from such inhumane treatment. She'll be fine. But my heart goes out to those who've effectively suffered punishment way out of line with any crime they committed, or the sentences they were given.

I see no sign that Jodi will be insulated at all from being treated like every other inmate at her level. In fact, it sounds like they will do everything possible to side step her manipulations. I'll bet the Restrictive Housing category is their first slap-down. No nonsense at all.

I also feel sympathy for those who, sometimes by circumstance and not on purpose, ended up at Perryville: that does seem to be a punishment that does not fit the crime.

State VS. JA fb has a former inmate of Perryville answering questions and gives a good rundown of what the murderess will go through. She does it through comments section mostly. Her name is Maggie K. I love where she talks about the 6'8" female guard.

I see no sign that Jodi will be insulated at all from being treated like every other inmate at her level. In fact, it sounds like they will do everything possible to side step her manipulations. I'll bet the Restrictive Housing category is their first slap-down. No nonsense at all.

I also feel sympathy for those who, sometimes by circumstance and not on purpose, ended up at Perryville: that does seem to be a punishment that does not fit the crime.

I think the side-stepping of her manipulations means mostly no one-on-one contact, and keeping a safe distance from her as much as possible (no personal interactions). I don't doubt there will be some verbal smack-downs to put her in her place, but given her high profile, I don't think anything bad will happen to her, at least until she's in general population. Then, all bets are off.

I will now think of the inmate every time that I color my hair. Ha...mousey brown for life!
1.6 Hair dyes or other chemical agents which may be used to change hair color shall be prohibited.

I will now think of the inmate every time that I color my hair. Ha...mousey brown for life!
1.6 Hair dyes or other chemical agents which may be used to change hair color shall be prohibited.
Love it. No more blonde or redhead for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member