GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for his FB (and AJ's), IMO, neither set up the legacy feature. After they went missing someone logged intoo their FB account on one of their devices (that had their log in info saved) and changed their account name. My son does this often (changes his name) and I (sometimes) change it for him (when I don't like the idiotic name he chooses) since his log in info is stored on his computer.

I think this is the most likely scenario. But....still curious WHO did it and when.

I can't imagine what this woman must have said in an impromptu interview that would result in a 2nd degree murder charge. Short of simply stating, "I shot the SOB in the head and I'm glad he's gone", I don't know what kind of statement would get murder 2 charges put on you simply because your stories didn't quite line up.

I'm sure that finding his body is of the utmost importance right now, if for no other reason than to establish a cause of death.

Unless he was shot in the back of the head, I can see all kinds of possibilities where a defense attorney could explain away his injuries.
If he had drugs in his system.....well....I guess he did drugs, doesn't mean his girlfriend gave them to him.
If he drowned.....yeah.....that's what she said happened.......so?
If he had bruises on his hands and arms....yeah....he was fighting to get his kayak righted.....so ?

This case seems paper thin to me just based on the "reason" given for second degree murder charges. I hope this isn't some cat and mouse game where the cops are using some kind of incarceration shock therapy in an attempt to squeeze more information our of her.

If they're wrong, they're gonna have a lotta egg on their faces.

The weird this is not only did the troopers arrest her quickly after making her inconsistent statements, but the grand jury indicted her quickly. Whatever she said was very convincing and incriminating.

LE has said it happened on the water and that Vincent is presumed dead. Bold statements. Why so sure?

The weird this is not only did the troopers arrest her quickly after making her inconsistent statements, but the grand jury indicted her quickly. Whatever she said was very convincing and incriminating.

LE has said it happened on the water and that Vincent is presumed dead. Bold statements. Why so sure?

Yes, agree - this is a strange case because of just what you pointed out. No mention of motive or what LE believes took place.

My best theory as to what AG said that could result in murder charges are if she mentioned any of the following:
-a rope (often these are permanently attached to the front of a canoe so you can tie off at a jetty etc. A pretty handy murder weapon if someone is already in the water in trouble and something that can easily be disposed of as it it never existed
-his life jacket. If she let it slip that she tried to throw him his life jacket.
-his kayak sinking and afterwards it was recovered and found to be seaworthy

I am to-ing and fro-ing on this case. Sometimes I think she's just a little naive Baltic immigrant with English as her second language and she in too deep by talking too much and at other times I think: BINGO! Crime of the century!

What do you think she said?!?

LE is revealing very little. They may have evidence and there may be witnesses.

What do you think she said?!?
snip

Tired and in travail -- I think she allowed herself to be led down the streampath of some dicey canal.

But I do think that they must have physical evidence or eye-witness accounts that fix the level in the lock that trapped her.

I mean, right? maybe?

But as to what, specifically....

It is odd. I can imagine "inconsistencies" in her statements to police leading them to suspect her, keep tabs on her, bring her in for further interviews, etc., but the charges here came very quickly. I wonder whether the "inconsistencies" explanation is a bit of a smokescreen. I have no doubt that language is a barrier her. My family is bilingual and our two small boys, in times of stress, will lapse into French (their mother tongue) and/or Frenglish, partly as a coping strategy. It's a fishy story though.

And, as an experienced sailor, boater and lifeguard, I'd say that a lifejacket is an automatic -- I dress for the conditions almost without thinking and would not feel right taking out a boat without one, though in fine weather I might lash it to the mast, etc. Generally I find that the less experience, the more unnecessary risks when it comes to the water. The thrill is in meeting tricky conditions head-on and overcoming them, not in the pointless (and easy) risk of drowning. And I would NEVER use an inflatable as a PFD. Way too fragile for rough open water and uncomfortable to boot.

I wonder whether the salacious diary was a) part of the cover story or b) written after the fact?

best,

s

The wording about keeping it secret is interesting.

It is. Does that mean there has been an indictment but it wasn't supposed to be known yet? Or they're still working on the case and haven't decided? or did the GJ choose not to indict? Because that would mean she is released, right?

Better cut her loose, boys.

I think somebody in LE is jumping the gun on this case really bad.

Why not just wait until his body is found before deciding what charges to file ? Why not wait until an autopsy is performed to establish COD ? Why the big rush to get this girl behind bars ?

Why not just wait until his body is found before deciding what charges to file ? Why not wait until an autopsy is performed to establish COD ? Why the big rush to get this girl behind bars ?

That's the question. Because most LE agencies really wait until they have substantial evidence before arresting someone. They know the clock begins to run on murder charges once arrested but there is no statute of limitations on filing them so there is no harm to the case in waiting to arrest and charge.

These aren't keystone cops. They have something.

As to "cutting her loose", they will likely have to do that, it appears, if there is no indictment because she has speedy trial rights. It's not a matter of encouraging them to let her go. They will have to soon by law if she isn't indicted.

But, we haven't heard that she's been released, so I don;t know what's happening.

BBM

They might be afraid she would leave the country before the investigation is complete.

It is. Does that mean there has been an indictment but it wasn't supposed to be known yet? Or they're still working on the case and haven't decided? or did the GJ choose not to indict? Because that would mean she is released, right?

As far as I know, in NY Grand Jury proceedings are secret. Perhaps that is what the reporter meant. Would that make sense?

This might be why:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ayaker-remembered-fun-loving-active/26806337/

The felony murder complaint, filed in the Town of New Windsor Court, only says that state police have "direct knowledge" that Graswald "did intentionally cause the death of" Viafore.

snip

Tired and in travail -- I think she allowed herself to be led down the streampath of some dicey canal.

But I do think that they must have physical evidence or eye-witness accounts that fix the level in the lock that trapped her.

I mean, right? maybe?

But as to what, specifically....
I have to go back and look, but I thought it was stated in one of the earlier articles that there is a couple who lives on the river who witnessed whatever it was that happened. Nothing was said in the article about what it was that they might have witnessed, but it did read as if they had an eyewitness account.

Off to look . . .

:nevermind:
ETA: Okay, nevermind! It was a link to the People Magazine article that wfgodot posted earlier in this thread.

In the article, it states that a 70-year-old man who lives on the river saw the couple on Bannerman Island on the night Viafore disappeared.
Wes Gottlock, 70, whose West Windsor, New York, home overlooks the Hudson River, says he and his wife were looking toward Bannerman's Island on the night of Viafore's disappearance. It was from that island that Graswald has told investigators the pair pushed off into the night.

"All I can say is that we did see them on the island that evening, through our telescope from our house," Gottlock tells PEOPLE.

Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said at a Thursday news conference that Graswald’s case will be presented to a grand jury. Gottlock tells PEOPLE he was called to testify before a grand jury convened for Graswald's case on Monday.

As far as I know, in NY Grand Jury proceedings are secret. Perhaps that is what the reporter meant. Would that make sense?

I Don't know. The article was pretty clear that theclerk's statement regarding and indictment was in error and there was no indictment. I don't know if that's true. If true, they may still be working on the case. If they dismiss the case, or fail to indict, she will be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd