France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

Thanks! I must have clicked on a different link.

I started to watch this documentary up to around 8 minutes.
Lots of "info" that is no longer valid.
The man on the motorbike has been ruled out as a suspect and was not the killer as this documentary assumes.
They claim the Al Hilli's were shot first, and Mollier arrived later, when in fact the opposite is probably true and Mollier was shot first.

map from LeMonde:

maplemonde.jpg

ALPS SHOOTING: FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION SOLDIER 'TOP OF SUSPECT LIST'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...d-hilli-french-foreign-legion-soldier-suspect

A former soldier in the French Foreign Legion has been identified as the chief suspect in the 2012 murders of a British family in the Alps, according to a new book about the unsolved crime.

Patrice Menegaldo, who killed himself last June, was interviewed as a witness after the shootings of Saad al-Hilli, his wife Iqbal, mother-in-law Suhaila and French cyclist Sylvain Mollier.

Investigators are looking into Menegaldo’s movements because he exactly fits the profile of the professional hitman believed to be behind the killings.

In an interview for the Daily Mirror book The Perfect Crime, state prosecutor Eric Maillaud said Menelgado was “at the top of the chain” for detectives, who have been hunting for the assassin on both sides of the channel.

[...]

Maillaud said Menegaldo was acquainted with Mollier’s partner, Claire Schutz. The suspect and the victim were from the nearby town of Ugine. “The hypothesis at the top of the chain for investigators is a local killing. We have a real suspect. I am referring to the Legionnaire from Ugine,” he said. “Here is a middle-aged man who kills himself and to explain this leaves a letter saying he couldn’t handle being considered a suspect.”

Maillaud said this was peculiar as Menegaldo had been interviewed only as a witness because he knew the Schutz family. “We are talking about a hardened ex-soldier, someone using a gun, suddenly saying he couldn’t deal with being thought of as a suspect.
The investigators are still digging into this man. He had psychological problems.

“Could it, by chance, have been him? Did he regret his actions afterwards and take his own life? Otherwise it is an inexplicable suicide. He had the technical capacity to do what was done that day.”

BBM

Daily Mail 3 June 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cre-dies-suspected-suicide.html#ixzz33cLOJyF1

While every detail of the Al-Hilli’s lives has been made public by the French, very little has been said about Mr Mollier, the dead cyclist.

But the Frenchman was involved in frictions of his own over a multi-million pounds chain of pharmacies which was being transferred to his girlfriend, Claire Schutz, 30.

Detectives have also uncovered romantic entanglements which Mollier was trying to keep secret – another fact which might suggest a local motive and killer.

Zaid Al-Hilli has a cast iron alibi - he was in Worthing, West Sussex, on the day of the murder.

He is convinced Mollier was the real target, saying last October: ‘They are covering up for someone in France in that region and they know it. There is something more to it locally.’

BBM

Total speculation to me, the prosecutor offered no evidence to support this guy being the killer other than he killed himself and knew the girlfriend of the bike rider. Well people kill themselves just about every day and i'm sure the girlfriend knows many people.

Daily Mail 16 december 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bitter-dispute-million-pound-inheritance.html

Now it has emerged that Mr Mollier was involved in family arguments caused by having a baby with a wealthy heiress sixteen years his junior.

Claire Schutz, the 29-year-old who shared a home with Mr Mollier, gave birth to Louis, their first child together, in June.
Just a few months before she gave birth, Claire was given a hugely lucrative business by her parents, making her a millionaire. Court documents from October 2011 confirm the handover of the Schutz-Morange Pharmacy, in Grignon, near Annecy, which is valued at a minimum £1.1million.

..... Mr Mollier started to receive large amounts of cash from Claire — a development which did not go down well with her side of the family. Just before his death, Mr Mollier had also won the legal right to take three years off from the factory where he worked to look after Louis, and his two teenage sons from his first marriage.

Mollier was riding a new £4,000 racing bike on the day he was murdered. Ironically, Mollier was following a cycling route suggested to him by Thierry Schutz when he was killed, although police sources say he had deviated from that route into the forest lay-by.

'Sylvain's relationship with Claire was of growing concern to her side of the family and especially her parents,' said a senior figure on the Grignon local council, where Thierry Schutz served as a councillor for two years. 'Sylvain came from a down-to-earth family but had growing claims on Claire's fortune. This was something Claire's family was not happy about.
'They were particularly concerned about Sylvain's spending. There was a bitter dispute over what was going on and this got worse when Sylvain took three years off to effectively live off Claire's money.'

Speaking about the handover of the pharmacy, Mollier's brother Christophe told The Sunday Times: 'Sylvain had been through a difficult divorce and had a lot of financial commitments so naturally was very happy with the development. However, there were serious frictions between the Molliers and Claire Schutz's family.'

BBM

IMHO, if the Al-Hilli's from Iraq had been Sam and Isobel Hill, both dentists and born and raised in Britain, the background of the cyclist would have attracted far more attention. And if indeed Thierry Schutz suggested this cycling route, he should be at least under similar scrutiny as the Al-Hilli brother, because the layby is hardly a deviation of that route and SM is no longer there to vouch for what his partner's father said to him.

I've said it before: follow the money, in France.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ch-Alps-may-have-int-l-ramifications-2/page11 #267

(BTW it looks like it is no longer possible to link to one particualr posting, or did I forget how to do that?)

The other thing from the above article:
Sylvain was shot 7 times, the other victims just twice. Someone wanted to make sure he was dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bitter-dispute-million-pound-inheritance.html

Thanks! I must have clicked on a different link.

I started to watch this documentary up to around 8 minutes.
Lots of "info" that is no longer valid.
The man on the motorbike has been ruled out as a suspect and was not the killer as this documentary assumes.
They claim the Al Hilli's were shot first, and Mollier arrived later, when in fact the opposite is probably true and Mollier was shot first.

The other link didn't work, the show was taken down but I found another copy out there :)

Total speculation to me, the prosecutor offered no evidence to support this guy being the killer other than he killed himself and knew the girlfriend of the bike rider. Well people kill themselves just about every day and i'm sure the girlfriend knows many people.
I don't find this suspect very plausible.
Interesting though about Molliers other romances if true.

If someone (Patrice Menegaldo) was paid to kill Sylvain but during the murder he had to kill witnesses, he may have been haunted by killing women and beating a child. Later killing himself. Or maybe the suicide was really a murder, to cover up the first killings.

Also Sylvain could have been tracked by the killer who lay in wait on the trail with the motorcycle. It was known he would be on that trail to start. When Sylvain rode to the look out spot the killer followed.

ALPS MURDERS: THE SUSPECT WHO IS NOT A SUSPECT

METRONEWS.fr

http://www.metronews.fr/info/tuerie-de-chevaline-le-suspect-qui-n-en-est-pas-un/moez!JKiVtAvw9M8ig/

Nearly three years of investigations and twists and turns. In the case of the Alps Murders nothing has been simple from the beginning. Further proof of this, if any were needed: the police would currently be going backwards as part of its investigation, and thus be interested very closely in a suspect already questioned in 2012. In any case this is what Tom Parry claims, a British journalist from the Mirror who publishes next week a book entitled The Perfect Crime.

The journalist returns to the brutal murder of three members of the Iraqi Al-Hilli family and a cyclist from the area, Sylvain Mollier, at the side of a forest road in Chevaline (Haute-Savoie), on September 5, 2012. Even if investigators have been slipping on ice from the start of this investigation, the journalist himself assures: in fact it would be enough to change perspective to get nearer to the solution of the story. So far perceived as the one who happened at the wrong place at the wrong time, in reality Sylvain Mollier could well be ... the real target of the killer.

Tom Parry quotes the prosecutor of Annecy, Eric Maillaud, to support his statements. As of now, "the preferred assumption by the investigators is that of a murder with local roots. We have a real suspect. I speak of the military man from Ugine ". In this case of Patrice Menegaldo, an acquaintance of Claire Schutz, partner of Sylvain Mollier. Relations were strained between the cyclist and his wife's family, after Claire inherited a pharmacy with an estimated worth of over a million euros. Described as disturbed and isolated, Patrice Menegaldo committed suicide on June 3 2014, saying in a note that he could not stand the "suspicions against him."

Problem: in light of these new insights, MetroNews contacted Eric Maillaud who denies outright the allegations of Tom Parry. The deceased legionary has "never been a suspect," he assures, arguing that only the reasons that pushed him to suicide have "intrigued" the investigators. Moreover, the prosecutor said, following the death, "checks" were done. "But we found nothing that could be linked" with the killing in Chevaline.

BBM

FranceTVetInfo
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/faits-di...veau-suspect-numero-un_920627.html#xtor=AL-67

Contacted by France 2, prosecutor Eric Maillaud however vehemently nuances the Mirror information, citing a misinterpretation of his remarks. The tracks of Patrice Menegaldo, a former legionnaire described as isolated and disturbed who was an acquaintance of Sylvain Mollier and his partner, were actually carefully examined by investigators. But the main issue above all is because of his profile and his suicide in 2014.

"That intrigues us. We do not understand why he committed suicide many months later, says Eric Maillaud.
But "that does not make him a suspect, let alone the number one suspect," the magistrate said. Nothing tangible would incriminate Patrice Menegaldo for now. His DNA was not present at the scene of the crime and his interrogation in 2012, had proceeded smoothly.

BBM

:gaah:

I have purchased the book, and I wait it, hopefully, by the end of this week. As I read, I will tell you.

We must be careful with journalists. They overstate everything, and convert every friction in a quarrel.

For example:

Pharmacy systems in France and Spain are very similar, and in Spain a 1,1 million pharmacy is not a hugely lucrative business, it is only a lucrative business. Before taxes, probably no more than 70.000 / 80.000 a year. Good chunk, but after taxes...

I always put myself in the place of the killer, and if I had wanted to kill Mollier, never, never, never would have chosen that method. The easiest way to kill a cyclist is a hit and run. And probably no one will think in a murder. Even if there is a witness.

The other thing from the above article:
Sylvain was shot 7 times, the other victims just twice. Someone wanted to make sure he was dead.

The other link didn't work, the show was taken down but I found another copy out there :)

This is probably the strongest argument to support that Mollier was the target. But there may be other explanations. I have read that Saad had blood stains from Mollier on his clothes. That would indicate that they were very close when Mollier was hit, and perhaps Mollier collected the shots fired against Saad, or indiscriminate shots against the group .

This is probably the strongest argument to support that Mollier was the target. But there may be other explanations. I have read that Saad had blood stains from Mollier on his clothes. That would indicate that they were very close when Mollier was hit, and perhaps Mollier collected the shots fired against Saad, or indiscriminate shots against the group .

Or Saad found Mollier down and tried to help him, not realizing there was a shooter in the area.

I always put myself in the place of the killer, and if I had wanted to kill Mollier, never, never, never would have chosen that method. The easiest way to kill a cyclist is a hit and run. And probably no one will think in a murder. Even if there is a witness.

But a motorcycle running down a bicycle? Then you still have to make sure the guy is dead. Also if you are a trained shooter, that would be your preferred method IMO. If the goal was to make sure Mollier was dead and get away, goal achieved.

I agree at 90 %. Well, perhaps at 80 %.

http://www.bgpglobalservices.com/announcements/lake-annecy-murders-1

The following article was written by myself last year, and has now been updated in light of the recent release from bail of Zaid Al-Hilli, and the arrest yesterday of a man in France. I obviously do not know what is the basis for this arrest, and it is too early to speculate, although I am sure many others will.

Regardless of the outcome of this arrest, I still firmly believe that the answers to this terrible crime will be found in France, and not elsewhere. The following details my reasoning for this view.

The problem with an investigation such as this is the unprecedented nature of the slaughter, which is the correct term, of four innocent people.

The killing of Saad Al-Hilli, aged 50, his 47 year old wife Iqbal, her mother of 74, Suhaila al Allaf, and 45 year old Sylvain Mollier who was totally unknown to them would seem it to be without rhyme or reason. Add to this a seven year old child being left for dead, and you have a crime the likes of which has rarely been seen before in Europe, or elsewhere.

The lack of witnesses or apparent motive clearly makes the investigation more difficult, which can often lead investigators down paths with many dead ends.

Then pops up talk of Iraqi conspiracies, Mossad involvement, international intrigue, shady Swiss bank accounts, feuds over inheritance, and eastern European hit men. It would have all the makings of a TV series, had the consequences not been so tragic. And this is just the rumour surrounding the Al-Hilli family.

Add to the mix talk of a French millionairess with a three month old child living with a divorcee 16 years her senior, and who her family strongly disapprove of.

This is not my interpretation; it is the speculation of the media, and no doubt to a degree what is driving the investigators.

However, the need is to analyse and not guess, interpret the facts and evidence, and not speculate on theories without a sound evidential basis.

I accept that my opinions are to a degree based on media reports from the UK and France. However, there is also information from international letters of request, as well as the few comments made by the prosecutor. I also visited the scene and have tried to view the case objectively, using experience drawn from many years of investigating murders, often with multiple victims.

I have never been involved in an investigation such as this, and what follows is simply my view on what I believe happened. I will be the first to accept that I could well be wrong.

We have all seen the photos of the scene, the car sitting in the lay-by where this appalling offence took place. What isn't realised until you actually visit the scene is just how small the area is. The parking area is a lot smaller than it appears, not much more than 25 yards in total, and little more than a car's length wide.

Also, a media photograph taken shortly after the murders and rarely seen shows what appears to be Sylvain Mollier's bike, although I believe this had been moved by the French Police prior to the taking of the photograph.

I believe that this looks more like an attack by a random killer than the calculated professional killing that many have surmised.

The lay-by itself is at the end of a steep single track road, and is the starting point for a number of local walks. It is less than three miles from the small village of Chevaline, the nearest town being Doussard, little more than a mile further away. This is on the south side of Lake Annecy, a picturesque tourist destination nestled in the foothills of the Alps.

The murders were committed shortly before 3.45pm on Wednesday, 5th September, 2013. Was the time of any relevance, I think not, but only the killer really knows.

The victims were a British family of Iraqi origin, who were staying at a local camp site less than 11 miles from the scene, and a French cyclist who lived about 12 miles away, who had left home about 2.30 that afternoon.

Although the details of the injuries have not fully been released, it has been confirmed that the weapon used was a Swiss made Luger P06 7.65mm semi automatic, that was in regular use by the Swiss army. No one knows how many of these were produced, and how many may still be in circulation, the figure will be in the thousands. It seems that 21 bullets were recovered by police from the scene, although we do not know how many went astray and were not recovered. Of these, seventeen struck the bodies of the victims, with the cyclist being shot at least five times, the child once, and the three adults in the car several times each, with the remainder having missed any of the intended targets and gone astray in the road or the forest. Although larger magazines are made for this type of weapon, the most common holds eight rounds, possibly implying that the gunman changed magazines twice, which could give a total of 25 bullets fired from three magazines as well as one in the chamber. This could possibly explain the clubbing of the seven year old girl as by this time the killer had used all his ammunition.

The following are the theories that have been suggested. I intend to look at these one by one, and try and dismiss those I believe lack credibility.

The most popular theory, and one that I believe is totally implausible is that Mr Al-Hilli's brother Zaid arranged the killing due to a disagreement over their father's inheritance, and that the cyclist was effectively collateral damage. This in my view is doubtful in the extreme. There are many reasons for this. Most significant is, how would a 54 year old accountant from Chessington find such a killer. It is not as if they advertise in Yellow Pages or the Surrey Gazette. I have investigated these people; I have had access to data bases that contain their details. There are not that many of them, and the few that there are do not work for 54 year old Surrey accountants. I will also explain later why this in my opinion was not the work of a professional killer.

Additionally, is it likely that such a massacre would be because of a disagreement over an inheritance? I do not believe so.

Next, that the killing was in some way related to Mr Al-Hilli's work, and that he was killed by someone such as Mossad or another agency to prevent him selling sensitive information to a foreign government. In reality the information he had access to was not particularly sensitive and could have been obtained without too much difficulty. He was not a sophisticated spy. The idea that these murders were in any way state sponsored is farcical.

Links to the Iraqi regime of Sadam Hussein have also been discussed. None have been found. Saad Al-Hilli had not only left Iraq many decades ago, but he was also a Shia whereas the ruling party were Sunni. This theory is also ridiculous and would seem to have no evidential basis.

It has also been suggested that Mr Al-Hilli had arranged to meet someone and that this person killed him. This again is not credible. Who would he be meeting, and why. How did he arrange the meeting as it appears that he had made no recent calls? If there was such a meeting would he go with his whole family and mother in law? This did not happen.

There has also been talk of them coming across some sort of crime taking place. What could this have been to warrant such a response in such a remote location? The answer is simple, nothing. This is not the cause.

It has also been speculated that perhaps Sylvain Mollier was the target and that the Al Hilli family were simply witnesses. Although I do not think that the enquiry team have satisfactorily discounted him as the target, when looking at all the circumstances of the crime, on balance, I do not believe that he was the intended victim. There are perhaps reasons why some people had a dislike of Mr Mollier, however isn't this again rather extreme. Another factor to be taken into account is that Mr Mollier did not leave his home until 2.30, less than an hour and a quarter prior to his death. Also, and what mitigates against this is the amount of bullets fired. If Mr Mollier was the target, would a killer have had so many bullets with him, and even if he did, would he have killed this many people who were simply potential witnesses? I do not believe so.

I will now give my reasons as to why I believe this was not the work of a professional killer.

Everything points against this. Firstly, the choice of location. It is at the top of a narrow single track road which leaves very little scope for escape. Although relatively remote, it is still busy with both walkers and cyclists. On the days I visited the scene, the area was quite busy with both. The chance of being identified, or even having the road blocked by police, another vehicle, or as we had, a herd of cattle being led across the road is quite significant. Also, the choice of targets and method of killing. Would such a professional shoot one person at least five times, and then shoot the others in the way they were, with many of the bullets being far off target. Just because the killer was successful doesn't necessarily mean that he was accomplished.

And why, what could possibly be the reason. If the target was Saad Al-Hilli, there would have been plenty of opportunities when he was alone, and would the killer have followed him all the way from the UK, or known where he was staying. Talk of them moving campsites in order to avoid someone is ridiculous. If this was the case, then why move less than a mile. The reality is they most likely moved because it was to a campsite they knew, was less expensive, as well as being directly on the lake. Also, if the object was to kill the whole family, they were unsuccessful. Such a killer would surely have known the makeup of the family. It would also have been far simpler to carry this out in the UK. If the target was Mr Mollier, then there would have been far better opportunities to do this without the need for so many additional victims. The simple answer is that this was not carried out by such a person.

Although not a popular theory, this in reality leaves one option. That the murders were the work of a random killer and the choice of victims is in my view a tragic mix of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Although I do not necessarily like this, it is more plausible than the other options, and is in reality the only other option.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, “when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth”. This, albeit the words of a fictional character is a sound basis for investigators to work on.

So what did happen on that fateful afternoon? I obviously do not know, only one person does for sure. Mr Al-Hilli knew the area reasonably well after having stayed at the campsite before. They decided to go for a drive having sought the advice of the manager of the campsite for places to visit. Witnesses say the family appeared to be happy. They then drove down the side of the lake through Doussard, stopping at nearby Arnand to take a family photo. This photograph has now been released by the French authorities, and would seem to show a family without a care. Clearly Mr Al-Hilli does not appear at all concerned. They then drove to Chevaline, and up the narrow road to the parking area. Although they could have driven further there is a no entry sign saying that further access is for forestry vehicles only. It is likely they stopped to have a look at the map. Mr Al-Hilli and his seven year old daughter would seem to have then got out of the car to look at the map, leaving his wife, four year old daughter and her elderly mother in the car. It would appear that when the bodies were found, both ladies still had their seatbelts on, perhaps indicating that they had not intended to stop for long. At about this time Sylvain Mollier arrived at the same spot. We can only guess at what happened next. Was Mr Mollier shot first as some reports said, or was it the Al-Hilli’s. I do not know, but if this is as I believe the work of a random killer, then is it relevant.

It would seem that at this point Mr Al-Hilli and his daughter were trying to get back to the car. Some reports suggest that Mr Al-Hilli was shot in the back whilst trying to reach the car. He then got in and tried to get away, but was killed before he was able to do so, with the vehicle in reverse and jammed against the verge of the lay-by. I am not sure if the tyre marks in a picture taken shortly after are from Mr Al-Hilli’s vehicle, but they could be. This would indicate that his car was facing inwards by the map, and he then reversed at speed no doubt with the intention of turning his car round and escaping down the hill. At some stage seven year old Zainab was shot in the shoulder. We will never know her father’s intention of picking her up and getting her away. I am of the view that the gunman would have been firing wildly at the car, and it was during this that all the occupants with the exception of four year old Zeena were killed. He has then gone on to club Zainab causing severe head injuries, possibly in an attempt to kill who he believes is the only remaining witness. Thankfully he was not successful, and both Zainab and Zeena who was at her mother’s feet miraculously survived.

The killer then made his escape. How was this, we cannot know. Brett Martin who discovered the bodies very shortly after mentions seeing a motorcycle. There has also been mention of a four wheel drive vehicle, no one knows, so there is nothing to be achieved by speculating.

Now to dispel some of the points raised. It is said that the visit to the bank in Geneva may have brought this on, and was suspicious. It is not remotely suspicious. Mr Al-Hilli was on holiday a 30 minute drive from Geneva. It would be only natural to go and speak to the bank. There is no relevance to this.

Possible calls made to and from Romania are of no significance. International letters of request filed by the French prosecutor in 2013 show these to apparently have been to and from UK landlines of other family members, and are not a major line of enquiry.
I also do not think that the discovery of the Taser gun at the Al-Hilli house, or the online chats he was involved in are of any relevance. The reality is that during a murder enquiry the victim’s lives are put under the microscope, and details are often discovered that very often take investigators in the wrong direction. This is even more likely when as in this case, there is no obvious motive.

Although I do not know, I am assuming that the investigators have checked to see if the bullets and cartridge cases recovered from the scene were fired from a gun previously involved in another crime, whether in France or elsewhere. The most advanced system in use by police forces throughout the world is called IBIS (Integrated Ballistic Identification System). Although the French do not use this system, the British Police do, so I am assuming this has been checked without any result. Also, metallurgical tests on the bullets could possible identify where they were manufactured. This could again point to where they were obtained.

Mr Al-Hilli's brother Zaid has been arrested for conspiracy to murder, but after being on bail for some considerable time, has now been released from this. Why this was, and on what basis, clearly I have no idea. However, no arrest warrant has been issued by the French, and it would seem that this arrest may have been simply because of his refusal to travel to France to answer questions. I would hope that by now his movements around the time have been confirmed, his computers have been analysed and his phones and finances will have been checked. After this length of time, clearly nothing to implicate him has been found.

So where do the investigators go now. The French prosecutor has said that the reason lies in the UK. What is this based upon, wishful thinking perhaps, and not wanting the answer to be a local killer in an area dependent upon tourism?

It is my belief that if this is looked at objectively, the murders were not professional, and even to a degree disorganised. Many have said that because of the nature of the shots to the head that this was a proficient killer. It is not, they were in a car, shot through the windows. They would naturally be hit in the head or upper body. At least 21 bullets were fired, several off target, two women killed, and a child left for dead. This isn’t professional, it is frenzied. Wouldn’t a professional killer have carried this out more efficiently, and in reality how many such people are there. This happened in the real world, not in a movie.

The gun apparently used is very common in Switzerland, which is less than an hour away from the scene of the murder. The answers are in France, not in England. This is where I believe the focus of the enquiries should be. Have there been any unusual sightings or reports within the extended vicinity of the scene. Start from the scene and work out. Also, has anyone gone missing since then?

This was a British family murdered whilst on holiday in France. Everyone likes a conspiracy, and to make things complicated. In this case it isn’t. Tragically I believe that in all likelihood, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Finally, it is an old and trusted maxim that investigators should clear the ground under their feet. I agree. This means France, not Surrey, not Iraq and not fanciful espionage theory land. Investigators often want a crime to have a sexy motive; most do not have one. I do accept that in most murders the victim and the perpetrator are known, and are often members of the same family. However, this tends to be where the family member or other person close is the actual killer. This is not the case here, so normal close linked suspect theories can be discounted.

It should also be borne in mind that investigations in France are conducted differently. The enquiries are carried out under the direction of the local prosecutor as opposed to being led by the police as in the UK.

If my theory is correct, the killer is psychologically distressed, angry, and looking for some sort of release, an internal reason that we do not know as to why he carried out this act. Often this anger and stress will dissipate by itself, but now and again, albeit rarely, it will not. This is where the danger lies. Has he killed before? This is possible, but it is just as likely that he has confronted people in the past in situations that have not ended with such savage consequences. An act of this intensity is unlikely to have been the first time his anger has come to the surface. Have appeals been made in relation to any such incidents.

It appears that the investigation is focussing on this being a planned and organised offence. This obviously cannot be discounted, but until such time as there is direct evidence to show this, other options should not be dismissed.

Regardless of my thoughts, as with all such investigations, there are three main avenues; witnesses, suspects and forensics. Witnesses seem to be very few and appear to have been exhausted with no answers. Suspects, none credible would seem to have come to light. I am for the moment discounting yesterday's arrest in France, until such time as there is more information about this. Therefore, simple, but reliable and trusted forensic analysis will be the only thing that produces an answer. The bullets, the gun, phones, local enquiries, and old fashioned detective work following the evidence. This is what will lead to the killer.

Ian Horrocks

http://www.bgpglobalservices.com/Ian-Horrocks.html

I have read more than 80% of the book, and I think I can already make an initial analysis.

THE BAD

295 pages, but with a very large font. Probably not more than 150 pages with a regular font.

Some coloured photographs, but except three or four, already known or uninteresting.

Except surprise in the last pages, the analysis of the crime scene is superficial and quite poor, and adds little to what is already known.

It gives the impression that he could have got more important information in interviews.

THE GOOD

It seems pretty well researched, and shows interviews with many relatives and friends of the key figures involved. The only exception is with Mollier, but it is not the fault of the author. He achieved closed doors in his face every time he asked for him. Family, friends, colleagues ..., almost no one decided to talk. Still, he got some interesting information of him.

He does a review of all theories that have been presented, and does a pretty good analysis of them, pointing the data that favor them and their weaknesses.

The book is well structured and easy to read.

There are some new data, and other information that clarifies doubtful information.

In short, I recommend it to anyone interested in the case, although it could have gave more of itself. The value for money, good.

An example of information that clarifies, the shooting. There were 21 shots. Well, 21 shells were collected, which is not the same, but let's assume that each shell corresponds to one shot.

Sylvain: 5 shots
Saad: 4 shots
Iqbal: 4 shots
Suhaila: 3 shots
Zainab: 1 shot
Lost: 4 shots

Finished. In the final pages the author introduces a new theory, as rare as unlikely. It gets a bit confusing and contradictory to try to explain what he thinks had happened.

Interestingly, he speaks about some critics received by detectives about to focus too much on who did it and why, rather than focus on the crime scene and what it says to us. He does not realize that he makes the same mistake. A lot of WHO and WHY, and very few HOW.

Anyway, I still recommend the book.

I have read more than 80% of the book, and I think I can already make an initial analysis.

THE BAD

In short, I recommend it to anyone interested in the case, although it could have gave more of itself. The value for money, good.

An example of information that clarifies, the shooting. There were 21 shots. Well, 21 shells were collected, which is not the same, but let's assume that each shell corresponds to one shot.

Sylvain: 5 shots
Saad: 4 shots
Iqbal: 4 shots
Suhaila: 3 shots
Zainab: 1 shot
Lost: 4 shots
(snipped)

In the news it is said Sylvain was shot 7 times, not 5. ( Link from first post on this page)

Although Parry did not directly quotes Maillaud, it is implied that the information comes from him. Same as saying that one of the shots Mollier received, probably the last, was between the eyes.

It is one of the few interesting developments about the crime scene.

Although Parry did not directly quotes Maillaud, it is implied that the information comes from him. Same as saying that one of the shots Mollier received, probably the last, was between the eyes.

It is one of the few interesting developments about the crime scene.

That sure says he was the target to me.

All adults received at least one of those execution style shots. The author considers the hypothesis of Mollier as the main target as one of the least likely. He could not get much information about him and his family, but the little he could get no points to him.

I will explain it in more detail another day. The economic issue is one of the strengths of the book. And for example, the author explains perfectly the nature of the problem between Saad and his brother Ziad.

When one understand the problem, it is very unlikely that Ziad hire a murderer to kill his brother. It would have been more likely the opposite.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back