MA MA - Neo Babson Maximus, aka Charles Allen, 22, Dartmouth, 12 Oct 2007

Coming in here very late. What parent whose child has a diagnosed mental illness, that is very common to not want to take meds, and who has legally changed their name to a character identified with a sci fi movie, skips a planned lunch with said child?

Well, maybe a parent that doesn't know quite what to do?

Idk. Not ready to blame the parents. Parenting is a tough job.

The question of difficulty in parenting isn't presented here.

What has been pointed out is the denial that permeates this case. Denial by the parents.

The mother insists that the name change wasn't because of mental illness or intent to flee, but because of his gaming days.

This is odd, because his gaming days were years behind him at this point.

There have been no vigils or further searches.

He had not been at his apartment for sometime before he went missing because he thought people were after him so he was sleeping in his car.

So yes, it's quite odd that ANY parent would miss a meeting with a child who was exhibiting these abnormal behaviors.

Why wasn't campus police or mental health, contacted on his behalf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always thinking about Charlie's disappearance. Truly hope his family and friends find answers. I've read on his facebook page that he made them laugh until they cried. Here's a brief video of him doing that by singing at a b-day party in 2004. Hope it's okay to share here. ❤️

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uGclYPyAw

Is anyone still working on this case? I'm not found any information as to whether his cell phone has ever been pinged to get a possible location ...

Also, someone on his facebook page made mention of an incident in Dallas Texas that resembles something he did here in Massachusetts, that being that someone matching his description knocked on a resident's home at 4:00 am trying to get back to SMU (Southern Methodist University).

This case is a tough one. On the one hand Neo/Charlie could be alive, homeless somewhere. On the other, he could be in a wooded area, not found after succumbing to the elements. I don't know a lot about what type of disorder or break Charlie had, but if he ever "came to", in a sense, I think he would have called someone he knew for help. Unless the mental break was so bad that he never came out of it.
I don't fault his parents in any way. They did the Disappeared show and tried to bring attention to the case.
Some ppl are just not into social media. My parents are in their 70's. If I went missing they wouldn't start a Facebook page. My siblings don't use Facebook. Facebook can be a useful tool to share information but not everyone uses it. I don't think the amount of Facebook activity on a missing person's page is a good indicator of how much family members care about finding them.
I don't think his family is in denial, maybe they just didn't realize how bad he was unraveling at the time.
I hope this family does not receive criticism. Not everyone is super vocal online. After so many years LE isn't going to waste time, money and resources to conduct a search unless they have a solid tip. They already searched right after the disappearance and only found his shoes. Critiquing his family is hurtful and borderline victim bashing.
After so much time they have probably come to the conclusion Charlie is either deceased or living anonymously among the homeless. If he hitched rides with truckers he could be literally anywhere. They are probably of the mind that LE has more of a chance of finding him than anything else, and LE couldn't find him.

Well I am new here, but this case has always been one that bothers me. I have to agree with the majority of the people here. I do believe that his family is in denial, and I absolutely do not mean for that to be seen as disrespectful or for it to seem in any way that I am victim bashing. I think it could just be that it is easier for them to think something happened to him as opposed to thinking that they did not take his illness seriously. I know the sister said on "Disappeared" that she believed that people were after him, because he sounded so scared. I'm sure he did sound scared, but that does not mean he was not having a delusion.

Anyway, I was wondering if there had been any sightings in Texas or anymore information regarding the incident in Dallas. I live near the University of Texas at Austin, and I believe that was the school he was looking into when he discussed moving to Texas. The homeless community here can be pretty tight and I have no doubt that he could survive here for years, even living on the streets. Of all the cases on "Disappeared" that have young men leaving and running into the woods, this is one where I thought there is a real possibility that this guy is still out there somewhere. I also thought this about Bradyn Fuska, and was so sad to hear that I was wrong. I really hope there is a different outcome for Neo/Charlie.

http://www.ptable.com/

If anyone here is more familiar with this, or with the game Half Life, or with speaking in code :waitasec:

Just thought it would be worth checking into further. He is obviously a bright young man--a fast learner, ability to retain info and put it into practice. Could he have really feared someone and was he trying to send a message?

Whether he was having a manic episode or not, it could lead somewhere....maybe

I know this might sound kinda crazy, but I think you might have a point. It might have been some sort of code that only the sister would know or understand, OR the sister is merely the messenger. Does that make sense? I know that if I needed to send my sister a message, I hope she would understand what I meant, but if I was suffering from mania or a psychotic break, I don't know if I could get through to her, ya know?

I'd say ask his sister on Facebook - she's willing to help and answer questions :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watching this episode again today, I get the impression that his family took the diagnosis of bi-polar too lightly, which is not unusual, and they did not seem to think it was a big deal when he decided to quit taking his meds, when it almost always is, Imo. People who have bi-polar can deteriorate very quickly without medication, and paranoia is a common response. This is where I feel they are either in denial, or simply not being informed about the illness. There is nothing to show he was being threatened or was in any danger, something his close friend would likely be aware of, yet they, or at least his sister, believe he was.

I have a brother who first displayed signs of mental illness while away at college. Instead of running, he returned home and basically, in 25+ years, never left again. He refuses all meds, but as he keeps to himself and does not go out into society, he is able to stay safe and not endanger others, though he has never shown any signs of violence. But if he took the route of running away, who knows what might have happened.

I don't get the feeling he is out there, living his life, though. I fear he may be among the thousands of unidentified bodies around the country. He may have gotten far enough away to not be linked back to MA.

His mom is naive in saying he would have told her, told her everything, etc...young people just don't, Imo. Especially if he was having an episode. Anyway, this is a very sad case and I hope the family has some kind of finality at some point.

Cluciano, I have always felt the same way re: Charlie's mental illness.

It is a known fact that Charlie stopped taking his meds. He acted extremely paranoid and in a bizarre manner before disappearing completely. If you subscribe to the KISS line of thought... his mental illness is the obvious reason behind this. The idea that a group of people were out to get Charlie without any evidence of such is extremely unlikely, IMO. It is my belief that his remains are likely in nature and have yet to be found.

I see lots of people here agree with me on the deep denial his family is in. It seems glaringly obvious what was going on yet his family is convinced he was truly in danger, and especially, his dad saying he'd find a way to survive (he seems the most grounded in reality, however). No, not at that time of year in that state with no shoes, no shirt, and only lightweight pants. I do feel pity for them. I guess their alternative is preferable to the probable reality.

I am surprised his body hasn't been found so I do wonder if he's wandering the streets somewhere, homeless, and deep in delusion. It's so sad. I know it's common, but I do not comprehend the mentally ill going off their meds.

Although I have heard of this case in the past I have just recently began looking into it. What a very handsome and intelligent young man I hope he is one day found. This isn't directly related to him missing, however I was looking at his pictures on the Help find Neo Babson Maximus facebook page (I believe his family runs it? I could be mistaken) and came across this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/UCiAXYl.jpg

I noticed that this photo seems to be poorly photoshopped. The girls chin is smeared and upon closer inspection it seems like Charlies shirt is painted green.

Anyone have any clue why this photo was edited? Perhaps it doesn't matter and i'm looking too much into it - but just thought it was a bit odd. Who knows :thinking:

No idea why that's been photoshopped. Maybe he did it himself or a friend did it before he disappeared? And the family only had access to the photoshopped copy.

Weird. I'm glad he hasn't been forgotten and you are looking at his case. I wish his friends or someone from the gaming community would post here.

The not knowing is the worst. At least if he was found, his loved ones can then grieve properly. What a bizarre case!!

Regarding the photo, someone could have tried to "crop" the girl out of it to try & make neo the main focus in the picture, if that makes sense.

Hoping some day this family finds hom or what happened to him. The story really caught my attention over the years as I was a hardcore gamer at one point, nor the best by any stretch lol. Also my grandma was bi-polar and manic.

I find it tough to completely dismiss the whole someone after him from his gaming life. Probably since I've seen the viciousness first hand. Heck I had a guy I knew from a game hack my actual pc so hacking facebook really isn't a stretch but, there have been the sightings of him in several places.

Such a baffling story. Even though it's been a long time hope he's found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back