New virus to be called MERS-CoV

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/20/e-coli-mrsa-can-survive-for-days-on-planes/?hpt=he_c1

I bet all the people who look at me like I am nuts when I wipe down every inch of my seat are now thinking different about it.

Just want to thank you for taking precautions for the public.

I once was at work and someone had turburculosis and the person did not want to leave work and the employer also did not want the person to leave work. The person was hacking and coughing all over the place for days. It was incredible and I almost walked out myself.

I just avoided the person but it was scary day after day like that.

A sixth patient has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33038795

I naively thought that all of the sick people in SK contracted MERS at the hospital where the first case was treated and that the infection was confined to that hospital.

This bit from later in the article is very concerning as it would suggest that the genie is well and truly out of the bottle:

Seventeen of the 23 new cases were infected at the Samsung Medical Centre in Seoul, the health ministry said.

All the infections so far have been confined to hospitals with transmission occurring between patients, staff and their families in close contact.

Health officials have released the names of the 24 hospitals - mainly in Seoul and the province of Gyeonggi - involved in the outbreak.

That is a lot of healthcare facilities with staff,patients and relatives to try and contain.

On the subject of infection control, have just returned from a cruise and the level of unfettered coughing, snorting and sneezing we encountered on the various 'planes, ships, boats and coaches we travelled in was really grim.

No one appeared to bother covering their mouth - no one. Disgusting.

One good thing I noticed on the cruise ship was the signs in the public toilets exhorting people to use a paper towel when exiting to avoid undoing all the good work of washing their hands by picking something up off the door handle on the way out.

This made me re-evaluate public loos.

I think there should always be paper towels where one needs to touch a door handle to exit, but this isn't always the case. Some facilities only provide warm air hand driers. I find myself going through all sorts of contortions to get a suitable bit of clothing to protect my hand from the door handle on the way out.

Another key area for transmission in my view is doctors' surgeries which have touch screens for people to log their arrival. Unless someone is standing there with an alcohol wipe to clean the screen between patients, I don't see how passing on infection isn't likely.

cuffem - that article on 'plane surfaces made sobering reading but makes perfect sense. I think the only thing to do is always carry alcohol wipes and hand gel, although that will not kill everything, so washing hands in hot soapy water is also important (where possible).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back