DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live closer and I suspect I am more familiar with this neighborhood. Seven blocks in any direction will take you into a very different neighborhood. The mosque, the Quaker meeting house . . . these are in different neighborhoods. Yes, the surrounding neighborhoods are diverse and I would like to believe warm and inviting since I live in one of them. But Mass Ave. Heights, the specific area of this terrible crime, is not like the surrounding neighborhoods or anywhere else in DC for that matter. It is not particularly diverse. There are Black residents but not many and they are either uber wealthy (Vernon Jorden lived there back in the day) or diplomatic families from other countries. The neighborhood is very isolated. There is very little foot traffic. It is eerily quiet and empty. Even after the fire when you would expect a lot of looky-loos, I was there and there was no one standing around except for media and police. No one.

You are referring to Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Cathedral Heights, Dupont Circle. Totally different even though they are nearby.

Respectfully, the home at 3201 Woodland, is not located in Mass Heights, it is several blocks to the east in what the media has reported to be Woodley Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Heights

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html

I agree. They don't look like white tennis shoes, though it's hard to tell. One thing I thought of was that his gf could have given a false description of him/what he was wearing. So when they were searching for him, they could have said they were looking for a suspect with white tennis shoes/hoodie, etc. but he could have actually been wearing something else and gf lied about it to protect him. Of course, he also could have changed clothes/shoes after leaving NY. However, as someone else pointed out before, it doesn't make sense that he would have changed back into the shoes he wore during the crime (the ones he was arrested in w/ blood on them). I know he has proven himself not to be that bright but come on...why on earth would he a) come back to DC, b) wear the same shoes he wore during the crime c) have knives (that I'm presuming, although I know it hasn't been reported so it's just speculation) that were possibly tied to the crime in the car w/ him??? Why would he not discard the clothes/shoes/weapons after the crime? So weird.

He may not have seen the blood just as he did not "see" the DNA he left on the pizza crust. The guy made mistakes and that leads me to believe his cohorts did, too.

JMO

He may not have seen the blood just as he did not "see" the DNA he left on the pizza crust. The guy made mistakes and that leads me to believe his cohorts did, too.

JMO

Yes, he apparently didn't see the blood or even think about the fact that he possibly left footprints at the crime scene w/ those shoes...I sure hope you're right that his cohort(s) also made mistakes.

FWIW, just anecdotal, it's been a few years so things could have changed IDK and I didn't look this up to confirm it is still the case, but when I moved to DC from Florida, my car insurance rates went down considerably. Also, the fee to have the car registered and titled was higher in Florida than in DC. So for me, anyway, it was more expensive to have my car in Florida than it is in DC.

You raise a good point. Registering and licensing cars in cheaper states has been going on for years and it is a low priority trying to enforce it. The Mosler sat in a garage. My brother had a sports car in Miami that was stolen. He eventually recovered it but gave it to our other brother because nobody would insure it in Dade County.

JMO

Found out through VINE where he was being held but no photo yet. Your registration was successful. You will be notified when the status of the offender changes.

Offender ID:349755
Date of Birth:11/27/1980
Race: African American

Custody Status: In Custody
Location of Offender:Central Detention Facility

Aliases
WINT, STEFFON
STEFFON

The house is absolutely 100% in Mass Ave Heights. I realize the media has been reporting it as Woodley Park but they are wrong. I think Woodley Park sounds better and oddly people haven't heard of Mass Ave Heights. I can't see the map you posted clearly but if you pull up a map of DC neighborhoods it will be clear. They lived in Mass Ave Heights. Period.

Found out through VINE where he was being held but no photo yet. Your registration was successful. You will be notified when the status of the offender changes.

Offender ID:349755
Date of Birth:11/27/1980
Race: African American

Custody Status: In Custody
Location of Offender:Central Detention Facility

Aliases
WINT, STEFFON
STEFFON

Interesting that he is described as African American when he is neither from Africa or America.

JMO

The house is absurd 100% in Mass Ave Heights. I realize the media has been reporting it as Woodley Park but they are wrong. I think Woodley Park sounds better and oddly people haven't heard of Mass Ave Heights. I can't see the map you posted clearly but if you pull up a map of DC neighborhoods it will be clear. They lived in Mass Ave Heights. Period.

<modsnip> The home is in a small neighborhood called Woodland Normanstone, adjacent to Woodley Park. And I certainly don't agree that anyone would look like they don't belong there just by walking down the street. Embassy Row is nearby and Wint is from a foreign country. Mass transit isn't that far nor are apartments and condos.

JMO

Community events: Vasara says that neighbors come together periodically for functions. These include children&#8217;s events, planting trees and celebrating Woodland Normanstone&#8217;s 100th anniversary.

Additionally, embassies organize tours and events throughout the year. Some take part in the Embassy Adoption Program, which adds global education in the classrooms of D.C. fifth- and sixth-grade students. Honkasaari says that EU Open House Day (typically in May) is the embassy&#8217;s single biggest event. Close to 3,000 Washingtonians visit the embassy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...4f96ac-dce8-11e2-85de-c03ca84cb4ef_story.html

Just thinking about the shoe/boot print on the door. I know this is out there, but I wonder if there was a second person involved inside the home at any time, if that person came later and had to kick the door to gain entry, because DW couldn't leave the victims to let him/her in? Maybe that person was unable to enter via a way he/she thought would be accessible?? Just a thought, IDK.

I have wondered if the print could be from a bystander who tried to get in the house before the official first responders arrived. Maybe a neighbor or working in the area running to the house to try tohelp? Of course, I'm sure that LE has thought of that also. Far-fetched, but the print has to belong to someone, and if DW acted alone, then who?

It's really Woodland/Normanstone Terrace, a very elite little pocket ... Woodley Park isn't as upscale as the area where the S's were murdered...
Also called Mass Ave Heights 'area' (but that would be 2 blocks away, technically)...
I think reporters called it Woodley Park because they don't know the area..or possibly 'technically' it's Woodley ... but if a real estate agent were selling the house, it'd be Normanstone Terrace/Woodland Drive...really beautiful little pocket of homes...
For some reason I can't reply unless I write more...so sorry to go on!

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html[/QUOTE]

It's really Woodland/Normanstone Terrace, a very elite little pocket ... Woodley Park isn't as upscale as the area where the S's were murdered...
Also called Mass Ave Heights 'area' (but that would be 2 blocks away, technically)...
I think reporters called it Woodley Park because they don't know the area..or possibly 'technically' it's Woodley ... but if a real estate agent were selling the house, it'd be Normanstone Terrace/Woodland Drive...really beautiful little pocket of homes...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html

BBM. Woodley Park is also where the train is located. Mass transit is often used by perps. Crime is the reason my village south of Chicago has refused to have a train station.

JMO

The legal subdivision per the DC tax record is Mass Ave Heights - partial view below. And ppl who live here in DC refer to it as Mass Ave Heights. No one who knows the neighborhood would ever refer to it as Woodley.
3201 WOODLAND DR NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20008-3548 Public Record
Legal Subdivision: Massachusetts Avenue Hei
Incorporated City:WASHINGTON DC

The legal subdivision per the DC tax record is Mass Ave Heights - partial view below. And ppl who live here in DC refer to it as Mass Ave Heights. No one who knows the neighborhood would ever refer to it as Woodley.
3201 WOODLAND DR NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20008-3548 Public Record
Legal Subdivision: Massachusetts Avenue Hei
Incorporated City:WASHINGTON DC

A legal subdivision is for tax purposes. It isn't the same as a neighborhood. I seriously doubt those who actually live there refer to it by anything other than the neighborhood name that connotes the exclusivity of the homes.

JMO
http://dc.blockshopper.com/property/21200806/3201_woodland_drive_nw

Owner:
Leonard A Sacks (Trustee)
City:
Washington-Woodley Park
Zip:
County:
Washington County DC
Region:
D.C. Northwest
Neighborhood:
Woodley Park
Subdivision:
Woodland-Normanstone Terrance
Street:
Woodland Drive NW
Yr. Built:
Builder:
&#8212;
Sqft (land | living):
16,281 land | 7,828 living
Bedrooms:
Bathrooms:
Property Taxes:
$38,085.70 (2008)
Stories:

I've been curious why we haven't seen the release of anymore search warrants, and
If we will? I'm most interested in W2's SW and return. Is this a strategy the LE's normally take? Keeping things so close to the vest?

I've been curious why we haven't seen the release of anymore search warrants, and
If we will? I'm most interested in W2's SW and return. Is this a strategy the LE's normally take? Keeping things so close to the vest?

I'm >< with you.

I think it is pretty common in high profile cases and this is about as high as it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member