WA - Civil rights activist Rachel Dolezal pretending to be black, parents say #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO if there is a grain of truth in Rachel's accusations somewhere I think it's probably the physical and sexual abuse part because it would go towards explaining the estrangement and the extreme denial of her birth family, and unless I missed it it was something that the family did not deny although they denied the teepee and the bow hunting and the residency history etc. If the older brother is going to face trial there might be some independent evidence that doesn't hang upon Rachel's testimony. And there could easily be very divided loyalties within the family if one sibling accuses another. The brother Ezra said there was no physical abuse but admitted that the family used corporal punishment, and I think corporal punishment crosses the line into child abuse very easily, so that claim could be close to the truth although she might be embellishing the slavery aspect of it for extra effect.

If the brother is a sexual abuser I hope she didn't hurt the chances of getting him behind bars by destroying her credibility making up stories of victimhood.

I agree about where you think that grain of truth might be. Maybe it's because of what I've been reading about the Duggars-all new to me- but I'm reluctant to assume her parents are benevolent just because.

I wonder.....

Is it true her parents sent two of their children to boarding school because they didn't embrace their parents' religion?

Why would her parents allow Rachel to take guardianship of her younger brother? And if they fought it, why would any related courts grant her that guardianship over the objections of his adopted parents? Especially if Rachel was unbalanced in any way at that time?

And again, why is her brother Ezra tearing her down so much in the media? Accusing her of contributing to racism and of playing blackface? Those are very directed comments intended to hurt her where it counts most to her, IMO.

Edited: deleted a last point because it could easily be misunderstood.

I agree about where you think that grain of truth might be. Maybe it's because of what I've been reading about the Duggars-all new to me- but I'm reluctant to assume her parents are benevolent just because.

I wonder.....

Is it true her parents sent two of their children to boarding school because they didn't embrace their parents' religion?

Why would her parents allow Rachel to take guardianship of her younger brother? And if they fought it, why would any related courts grant her that guardianship over the objections of his adopted parents? Especially if Rachel was unbalanced in any way at that time?

And again, why is her brother Ezra tearing her down so much in the media? Accusing her of contributing to racism and of playing blackface? Those are very directed comments intended to hurt her where it counts most to her, IMO.

I think she should be held accountable for her own lies and distortions, without muddying the waters by accepting as truths what might well be lies and distortions lobbed by her family in the thick of this.
I

BBM. We've seen reports of numerous lies by RZ. So very many lies that I couldn't list them all if I tried.

Knowing that RZ is a serial, habitual, pathological liar, I don't believe a single word that comes out of her mouth. Going even further than that, I believe it's likely that anything she says is not true. I don't know that she's capable of telling the truth, ever. If she says it, it's probably not true. IMO, JMO, and all that.

Therefore, IMO, if she says someone was a victim, they probably weren't. If she says someone was abused, they probably weren't. And therefore, anything she says that's contrary to something that her parents say, IMO, the parents are probably telling the truth and she is probably lying.

This is what happens when you make a habit of lying. Particularly when you turn your entire life into a lie.

Dolezal's time at predominantly black Howard University may have been a major turning point in her transformation, her adopted brother said.

"When she applied they thought she was a black student," he said. "When she came there, they saw she was white and she wasn't treated that well, especially by people that worked there. She probably started developing this kind of dislike for being white and dislike for white people. She used to tell Izaiah ... that all white people are racists. She might have developed some self-hatred."

http://www.wesh.com/national-news/s...um=twitter&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

Says her adopted brother Ezra. Who knows.

My son is one of 2 white kids in a class of 28. Last year (another school) the balance was about 60 percent white to 40 percent black, mixed, and "other."

My son tested his way into a gifted program within a traditional school, as did the other kids- they all are in the academic top 5% of kids in our state. So, they all have a lot in common. Except race and class, the 2 transcendent biggies.

My son definitely feels he's different from his classmates. He's absolutely constantly aware that he's the minority for the time being. He frequently hears kids in the hallways (from classes other than his own) make racist comments, and being the minority, he often assumes the comments are about him.

Here's what is NOT happening. He isn't developing bad feelings about black or white people, or himself, much less feeling hatred towards himself or anyone else.

He IS learning about racism first hand, and he's getting a taste of how it feels to be in a minority. He was bewildered at first, then super-sensitive, then curious, then empathetic, and after some months, indifferent.

Maybe Rachel went down another path at Howard, and maybe not. In any case, if she walked out with self-hatred I expect that's because she walked in feeling that way about herself, for whatever reason.

BBM. We've seen reports of numerous lies by RZ. So very many lies that I couldn't list them all if I tried.

Knowing that RZ is a serial, habitual, pathological liar, I don't believe a single word that comes out of her mouth. Going even further than that, I believe it's likely that anything she says is not true. I don't know that she's capable of telling the truth, ever. If she says it, it's probably not true. IMO, JMO, and all that.

Therefore, IMO, if she says someone was a victim, they probably weren't. If she says someone was abused, they probably weren't. And therefore, anything she says that's contrary to something that her parents say, IMO, the parents are probably telling the truth and she is probably lying.

This is what happens when you make a habit of lying. Particularly when you turn your entire life into a lie.

We agree that she's a liar and that nothing she says can be trusted. I don't make the leap, though, that the opposite of what she says must be true, especially if it's her parents voicing it.

In any case, it's her brother Ezra who is being most vocal, not her parents, and I continue to think there is something not OK with that.

i don't know what this is

[video=youtube;_u-AKfb5MwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=50&v=_u-AKfb5MwQ[/video]

anyone wanna guess if she downloaded it herself?

Edit: i guess not
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...leader-ex-fiance-broke-heart-outed-white.html
http://racheldolezal.blogspot.com/

The videos were made by Maurice Turner, a musician from Mississippi, to whom Dolezal became engaged in December 2012 before their union was called off in February 2013.
Following their engagement, she flashed a large, sparkling ring on Facebook as they gushed about their future together.

'So are you ready for the rest of your life,' he sang to her in one video posted in January 2013. 'I'll be so honored when you become my wife.'
'I'm so incredibly in love with you... I want to kiss you for the rest of my life, I want to hold you for the rest of my life.'

The video features a montage of pictures of Dolezal, including an image of a baby who appears to be African American.

Some of her art is a bit bleak.

"My Place"
Acrylic on Puzzle & Panel, 27"x42"
The original is painted on panel with a puzzle-piece texture, revealing that this image is about connecting parts of myself and finding my sense of place. The background is a sunset where I was born in Montana, and the model is a girl in Cape Town, South Africa, where my family lived for 5 years.

It's more than one adopted brother who have been speaking out. It's not up to us to decide if they want to speak out that it's not OK for them to speak out.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/rachel-dolezals-brothers-address-race-31755238

Well, actually we're all offering opinions on what each of thinks is OK and not OK about lots of different aspects of this weird story.

I take it you're OK with family speaking out about her. I think it's odd and speaks to divisions in the family that might well "color" what they're saying about her. ;)

Different opinions. No biggie.

Btw, I edited an earlier post because rereading it I realize it sounded judgemental about posters here believing/accepting what her family says. That wasn't my intent, and apologize if anyone felt criticized.

I would think there are some hair stylists out there who have helped her achieve some of her looks and might have wondered about façade versus real. Seems to me the intricate coiling where every hair is participating would be hard to achieve on one's own.

Well, actually we're all offering opinions on what each of thinks is OK and not OK about lots of different aspects of this weird story.

I take it you're OK with family speaking out about her. I think it's odd and speaks to divisions in the family that might well "color" what they're saying about her. ;)

Different opinions. No biggie.

Btw, I edited an earlier post because rereading it I realize it sounded judgemental about posters here believing/accepting what her family says. That wasn't my intent, and apologize if anyone felt criticized.

Everyone's version is going to be subjective from their own perspective, no matter what. Even in the best of families.

JMO I think there were not many good options for the family. Either speak out, and be criticized for maligning her out of bad motives, to shield a child molester, carrying grudges, etc.
Or not speak out, and look complicit in her lies, or be featured in articles saying, "Dolezal accuses her family of bad things A, B, C, D, E, F....etc. The family refused comment", implying between the lines that it might be true if the family does not deny.

It seems like the story was about to come out with or without their participation. There are too many people who have known Rachel in her various stages of life and her photos were online, she has been a somewhat public figure. So one way or another it was just a matter of time until it came crashing down on her I think.

Some people seem to think the family should have played along with Rachel's little charade.
I am not one of these people.

All in all, I think there would have been fewer damages for Rachel and she'd look less ridiculous now if the family had refused to play along from the start. She might have told fewer lies if she believed someone would call her out on them.

But perhaps they didn't realize fully at first.

Some people seem to think the family should have played along with Rachel's little charade.
I am not one of these people.

But do they have to be so eager in exposing her even to the point of bringing out pictures? I'll admit I find that interesting.
As far as the hate crimes....is it still a hate crime if it is enacted due to a belief that a person is of a certain race?
In other words hate directed due to a belief that a person was of a different race.
Not saying I think she experienced hate crimes while being 'black"
IMO

But do they have to be so eager in exposing her even to the point of bringing out pictures? I'll admit I find that interesting.
As far as the hate crimes....is it still a hate crime if it is enacted due to a belief that a person is of a certain race?
In other words hate directed due to a belief that a person was of a different race.
Not saying I think she experienced hate crimes while being 'black"
IMO

I think the quesiton is not whether they'd still be hate crimes, but if these "hate crimes" ever happened.
From the most recent allegation, she claims she got hate mail that was apparently never processed through the mail system.
Somebody had to have put this mail into locked mail box.

I think the quesiton is not whether they'd still be hate crimes, but if these "hate crimes" ever happened.
From the most recent allegation, she claims she got hate mail that was apparently never processed through the mail system.

Hmm. I've just been reading a bit here and there but I think she mentioned a concern about hate being directed toward her son. Does she have a son and is he of mixed race?

Sorry double post.

Her hate mail wasn't mailed.

"Postal workers told detectives the envelope had not been canceled, time stamped or imprinted with the bar code that directs mail to the right destination. According to the police report, the postal inspector told detectives, "The only way this letter could have ended up in this P.O. box would be if it was placed there by someone with a key to that box or a USPS employee.""

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/questions-raised-about-naacp-hate-mail-report/33512308

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/naacp-rachel-dolezal-spokane-washington-racial-identity-accusations/

I answered my own question she does have a son and was concerned for his safety at one point (if she is telling the truth,of course)

From the article:

The region, which is overwhelmingly white, has a troubled history with race relations. Northern Idaho once served as a home base for the Aryan Nations.

In a 2009 interview with the AP, Dolezal described herself as a multi-racial woman who found plenty of challenges in Coeur d'Alene. That included an incident in which three skinheads visited the office and asked for a tour, Dolezal said.

They showed little interest in the center's work, she said, but saluted a Nazi flag that was part of an exhibit on propaganda.

"They asked me where I lived," she said, and where her young son went to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member