GUILTY LA - Jaren Lockhart, 22, New Orleans, 5 June 2012 - #7

I have a feeling that Terry Speaks is keeping his attorney and that there will be a trial. I can't see Terry Speaks representing himself. I guess that we will have to see.
I am sure that he is ready for this trial, so that he can throw MAS under the bus and blame it all on her. He was in jail while MAS was enjoying her freedom for a while
and I'm sure he wasn't happy with that. I hope that we will find some more interesting facts from LE - that will probably answer some of our questions.

To quote Terry Speaks - "Everybody wants justice in this case, and both the defendant and the victim deserve the best representation possible."

Speak is squirming. Trying to dump his lawyer is just an attempt to push the trial setting. He doesn't want it to happen.

Just thought I'd post a link to the story about the death of another young dancer from NOLA, Jasilas "Chyna" Wright, whose body was found along the I-10 Wednesday morning. Jasilas danced at Stiletto's like Jaren did (before she began working at Temptations). Interestingly, another young girl, Kaylan Ward, was also found dead on the I-10 in New Orleans East a few days ago and it sounds like the girls belonged to the same dance team. (Corrected details in bold)

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/12625590-172/man-who-left-bourbon-street

She first became known to people working in the establishments along the 300 and 400 blocks of Bourbon when she walked into the club Temptations and asked for a job within the past several months, they said.

The club didn’t have any openings, but employees referred her to Stiletto’s next door. Stiletto’s gave her a job, and she also got some work at Centerfolds a block away from time to time.

Seen frequently with studs in her pierced cheeks, Wright was a mild-mannered, good worker, a pair of Stiletto’s employees said.

Just thought I'd post a link to the story about the death of another young dancer from NOLA, Jasilas "Chyna" Wright, whose body was found along the I-10 this morning. She danced at Stilettos like Jaren did before working at Temptations. Interestingly, another young girl, Kaylan Ward, was also found dead on the I-10 in New Orleans East last week and it sounds like the girls belonged to the same dance team.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/12625590-172/man-who-left-bourbon-street

She first became known to people working in the establishments along the 300 and 400 blocks of Bourbon when she walked into the club Temptations and asked for a job within the past several months, they said.

The club didn’t have any openings, but employees referred her to Stiletto’s next door. Stiletto’s gave her a job, and she also got some work at Centerfolds a block away from time to time.

Seen frequently with studs in her pierced cheeks, Wright was a mild-mannered, good worker, a pair of Stiletto’s employees said.
thank you ms. shagwell for the story, very tragic......holy crap dancers don't fare well in new orleans :thud:.......

from your link:

Ward died of multiple blunt force trauma injuries as well, possibly because a car struck her while she was on the interstate, police have said. Her body also was found in several pieces.

While authorities have noted the uncanny similarities in the two deaths, New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said there is no evidence linking Ward to Wright, whose case is being investigated by State Police and the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. At a news conference Thursday, Harrison discouraged speculation that the cases are related.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

so they find 2 young girls DEAD, in the same general area, their bodies IN PIECES, and don't think they just might be linked? :thinking:

well okey dokey then............

Terry Speaks seeks trial delay after females found dead on I-10

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/06/terry_speaks_seeks_trial_delay.html#incart_m-rpt-2

I thought it was a freaky coincidence that these two girls were killed the same week that Jaren's body would have been found along the MS coast but I never dreamed that Speaks's attorney would make the same connection. God, I hope and pray this doesn't throw doubt into the jury's decision when/if Speaks goes to trial.

thank you ms. shagwell for the story, very tragic......holy crap dancers don't fare well in new orleans :thud:.......

from your link:

Ward died of multiple blunt force trauma injuries as well, possibly because a car struck her while she was on the interstate, police have said. Her body also was found in several pieces.

While authorities have noted the uncanny similarities in the two deaths, New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said there is no evidence linking Ward to Wright, whose case is being investigated by State Police and the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. At a news conference Thursday, Harrison discouraged speculation that the cases are related.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

so they find 2 young girls DEAD, in the same general area, their bodies IN PIECES, and don't think they just might be linked? :thinking:

well okey dokey then............

<rbbm>

The girls weren't in the same general area.

Ward was 16, and a high school student. She was last seen in Central City asking for a ride to N. Miro St. Her body was found on a bridge of I-10 at Bullard Ave.

Jasilas “Chyna” Wright, 19, was a dancer with a questionable bf, possible pimp from Texas. Her body found along I-10 in Metairie, a good ten miles or more from the site of Ward's body.

I believe the reason LE is stressing that there is no connection between the two tragedies is because to date, the investigation into each has not shown any links among their friends, acquaintances, or lifestyles. Subject to change, naturally, as the investigation continues.

As for the bodies being found "in pieces", autopsy reports indicate dismemberment occurred as a result of the bodies being struck by oncoming traffic. So far, I've read nothing which indicates the bodies were deceased or dismembered prior to being struck by vehicles.

[...]
"She was obviously hit and run over, several times," Cvitanovich said, discussing preliminary results from an autopsy performed Thursday morning

[...]
Instead, troopers found Wright's remains, which had been damaged by the trauma to her body.

"There was no evidence of a stabbing that we could see. There was no evidence of strangulation. There was no evidence that we could see of a gunshot. The injuries were consistent with being hit and run over by cars at a high speed," Cvitanovich said.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/06/jasilas_wright_i10_metairie.html

Five days later, Orleans Parish Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Rouse released the teen's name and a preliminary autopsy finding that Ward died of "multiple blunt traumatic injuries."

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/06/despite_similarities_authoriti.html
Regarding Speaks, all I can say is dream on, buddy. Even IF the two latest deaths prove to be connected, it's a very long stretch to connect even one dot to Jaren's murder

JMO

<rbbm>

The girls weren't in the same general area.

Ward was 16, and a high school student. She was last seen in Central City asking for a ride to N. Miro St. Her body was found on a bridge of I-10 at Bullard Ave.

Jasilas &#8220;Chyna&#8221; Wright, 19, was a dancer with a questionable bf, possible pimp from Texas. Her body found along I-10 in Metairie, a good ten miles or more from the site of Ward's body.

I believe the reason LE is stressing that there is no connection between the two tragedies is because to date, the investigation into each has not shown any links among their friends, acquaintances, or lifestyles. Subject to change, naturally, as the investigation continues.

As for the bodies being found "in pieces", autopsy reports indicate dismemberment occurred as a result of the bodies being struck by oncoming traffic. So far, I've read nothing which indicates the bodies were deceased or dismembered prior to being struck by vehicles.

[...]
"She was obviously hit and run over, several times," Cvitanovich said, discussing preliminary results from an autopsy performed Thursday morning

[...]
Instead, troopers found Wright's remains, which had been damaged by the trauma to her body.

"There was no evidence of a stabbing that we could see. There was no evidence of strangulation. There was no evidence that we could see of a gunshot. The injuries were consistent with being hit and run over by cars at a high speed," Cvitanovich said.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/06/jasilas_wright_i10_metairie.html

Five days later, Orleans Parish Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Rouse released the teen's name and a preliminary autopsy finding that Ward died of "multiple blunt traumatic injuries."

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/06/despite_similarities_authoriti.html
Regarding Speaks, all I can say is dream on, buddy. Even IF the two latest deaths prove to be connected, it's a very long stretch to connect even one dot to Jaren's murder

JMO
thank you so much for the additional info bessie......when i see I-10, it sounds like the same area to me :D.......here's where i'm glad to know a louisiana gal like you to fill me in :) and without the extra info from the autopsy of each girl, 2 bodies in pieces sounds a little fishy..........but with a few more facts filled in, yes i agree, so far they are not sounding connected.......

and i definitely don't think they are connected to jaren's murder..........

now can his attorney make a convincing plea for a delay? the timing is good to give it a try........what's he got to lose? lol

i haven't read it yet, thank you for the link ms. shagwell, i'm going to try and get to it in a bit.............

well it's finally here...........the eve before trial.........i'm praying this goes forth and if not a live stream, then a reporter that's allowed to tweet from the courtroom and looooooves to do so.........

anxious to get this ball of justice rolling..........

:rose: jaren

Nice try, Terry. Pfft!

Terry Speaks stands trial Monday in dancer Jaren Lockhart's killing
By Andrea Shaw, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on June 15, 2015 at 6:00 AM, updated June 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM

Terry Speaks will stand trial Monday (June 15) in the 2012 slaying of Bourbon Street dancer Jaren Lockhart. Speaks, 42, and former girlfriend Margaret Sanchez are accused of stabbing and dismembering Lockhart in Kenner, before disposing her body along the Mississippi coast.

[...]
Jury selection could begin after 24th Judicial District Court Judge Stephen Grefer takes up a series of motions filed in the case.

[...]
On Friday, Benz asked Grefer to delay the trial after the bodies of two young women were found on Interstate 10 in Metairie and eastern New Orleans. Benz cited similarities in the deaths of the women, ages 16 and 19, and Lockhart's killing.

But...

Suspect in the death of Jasilas Wright surrenders to police
WWLTV.com 3:50 p.m. CDT June 14, 2015

NEW ORLEANS - Adam Littleton, the suspect in the death of Jasilas Wright, has surrendered to authorities in Shreveport, according to Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

[...]
Louisiana State Police detectives said their investigation had determined that Littleton kidnapped Wright during a heated argument with the intentions of taking her back to Dallas, where the two first met.

With that information, state police issued an arrest warrant for Littleton on second-degree kidnapping charges. JPSO spokesman John Fortunato said that Wright had moved to Dallas for a better job opportunity and that's where she met Littleton.

Prayers for Jasilas' family. Thank goodness an arrest came quickly.

well it's finally here...........the eve before trial.........i'm praying this goes forth and if not a live stream, then a reporter that's allowed to tweet from the courtroom and looooooves to do so.........

anxious to get this ball of justice rolling..........

:rose: jaren
I have a feeling the trial won't get underway until at least mid-week. Jury selection likely will take at least a couple of days. I wouldn't count on live reports or tweets, though. I'm not familiar with this judge, but in general, 24JDC is pretty strict with regard to cell phones in the courtroom. We'll see. I'm hoping to be able to attend at least one day of the trial.

ETA: And it just figures that Speaks' trial and Chase Merritt's prelim -- two cases I've followed so closely, and have been waiting ever so impatiently to see make it to a courtroom -- both are scheduled to begin today! :scared:

Trial Set for Man Accused of Killing, Dismembering Stripper
GRETNA, La. — Jun 15, 2015, 4:56 AM ET
By JANET McCONNAUGHEY Associated Press

[...]
Before the trial opens in a suburban New Orleans courtroom, Jefferson Parish Judge Stephen Grefer has scheduled hearings on two defense requests.

Speaks wants to fire public defender John Benz.

Benz wants jurors to learn the criminal history of two prosecution witnesses, both jailhouse informants set to testify against Speaks.

thanks so much bessie, you're the link queen this morning!

and i hear you, when it rains it pours with these trials........

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 19m19 minutes ago

ADA trying to get evidence admitted into court but Speaks objecting to it now. ADA calling him on improper argument, he was giving testimony

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 13m13 minutes ago
Judge allows prosecutors to admit evidence Speaks tried to get police to shoot him, gave false identity upon arrest in 2012.

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 5m5 minutes ago
ADA: we will not allow any instance to go forward where Speaks can do more than a lawyer is able to do. We will object every time

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 5m5 minutes ago
Potential jurors being brought in now.

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 2m2 minutes ago
Court discussing security for when Speaks approaches bench. He has on belt but no shackles. Will be allowed to approach with shadow counsel.

https://twitter.com/NewsCarolyn

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 1m1 minute ago

Judge now talking w/ prosecutors & defense about time with noon hour approaching. ADA says concern is media, jurors need to be instructed.

WAFB &#8207;@WAFB 16m16 minutes ago
Judge reportedly grants request for Terry Speaks to represent himself. Update on 9News at Noon.
http://shout.lt/5R0b

[video=twitter;610484245463724032]https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/610484245463724032[/video]

Carolyn Scofield &#8207;@NewsCarolyn 2m2 minutes ago Gretna, LA

Jury selection will begin after lunch in trial of Terry Speaks. Follow @Rob_Krieger for more. I'll be live at noon on @FOX8NOLA.

Rob Krieger &#8207;@Rob_Krieger 18m18 minutes ago Gretna, LA Judge swearing in a jury pool of 50 people now for Speaks murder trial. Expected to let jury go to lunch and then begin voir dire. @FOX8NOLA

A wild start in the trial of Terry Speaks, accused of the murder of Jaren Lockhart
Posted 12:05 PM, June 15, 2015, by Jeff Hamburger

[...]
Speaks fired his lawyer, John Benz, and decided to represent himself in court this morning.

[...]
Speaks was warned by the judge that this was not a good idea… but he insisted on representing himself in spite of having no legal training.
Chase Merritt was determined to represent himself, too, in the McStay case. He changed his mind, and Speaks will, too. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back