SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few points. Feel free to disagree.

1. I don't even look at this tragedy as black and white. I see some murderous, cold blooded, evil killer. Would it really matter if he was black and killed blacks, or white and killed white? We get too caught up in all that. Evil has no color.

2. Racist attitudes hold no boundaries. I disagree when people align a particular area, like the South, or wherever. There is nothing magical about state lines. People make their own decisions on their attitudes through their upbringing, and it has nothing to do with where they live.

3. I know everyone wants to know why and where this killer got his ideas. I don't know that there is a straight answer to that question. This savage was obviously mentally ill, and I don't know how can come up with a rational explanation to such in irrational act. It would be like trying to come up with a rational way to explain Charlie Manson or John Wayne Gacy. I put this psychopath in the same category.

I imagine people who are black and have had ancestors that have been lynched, raped, and so on look at this a bit differently

I'm kinda getting rather disillusioned when a White man/boy commits mass murders> They are ALWAYS painted as Deranged....Black killers are characterized in Media as a ****..and Muslim folks painted and described as TERRORISTS in media(+Social media)...The blame game goes on I guess :moo: But why is it?? When will American Citizens actually acknowledge there is a REAL Racial Divide??

-Roof was essentially homeless. He had no fixed address, and moved from place to place.

-
School records show that between fourth and ninth grade, Roof attended six different schools, and repeated the ninth grade.

-In the image, Roof had the same stained sweatshirt he wore while playing Xbox video games in their home recently, Konzny said. It was stained because he had worked at a landscaping and pest control business, she said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-shooting-suspect-idd-as-dylann-storm-roof-21/

Thanks for this information, popsicle.

*I've been reading about the Russell & Shirley Dermond case and would really like to know where this little dude was just over a year ago.

As for the hate crime part, the crime is heinous enough without some superficial special designation. You can't get much worse than killing 9 people in a church. You don't need a special designation for a crime that has already eclipsed the epitome of evil.

I agree and am ashamed at myself. When racist jokes or comments are made at my workplace, I simply change the subject or pretend I did not hear.

It makes me feel bad that I do not say "Oh, yeah? Well, that is offensive to me and please stop!", but I am in such a huge minority politically and socially that I know nothing I say will do more than cost me my job. And possibly harm my family.

My husband got NRA stickers pasted all over his new car at his place of work. Only because he spoke out about how, after Sandy Hook, our daughter's school had become a fortress and how sad it was that we treat the wound but not the cause.

Those stickers ruined the paint job on his car. But, yeah, 'Murrica. It's okay to destroy the property of people who do not share your narrow, racist and hurtful views. In fact it was a huge laugh-party. They call my husband "Sunshine" and make a limp wrist at him.

Because we voted for Obama.

But we have 4 more years in this awful place then we can move.

Now, I AM taking a break.

I really think this is a situation where the incidents we observe of racist behaviors are so offensive that they make such a huge impression that they overshadow everything else. One will remember that one interaction where that person made an awful remark but the fifty interactions with friendly, tolerant people tend not to make that big an impression. I know racism is still alive and well in this state I love...but I truly think there are many, many more accepting, loving, tolerant people than those that hate solely based on racial differences. Politics are a different story...I refuse to go there!

As for the hate crime part, the crime is heinous enough without some superficial special designation. You can't get much worse than killing 9 people in a church. You don't need a special designation for a crime that has already eclipsed the epitome of evil.

I couldn't disagree with you more.
All murder is not hate related but when you look at a group of people and say "I'm killing you because you are black" that is a deeper level of evil and deserves to be labeled as just that Hate..

Try a nice glass of Pinio and 20 minutes of nature. Reality check. The racism issue of this guy makes me crazy. The buying of a gun for a gift makes me crazy. Some of the gun laws in states make me crazy LOL Not laughing really

Lol, I had (past tense) a bottle of Far Niente chardonnay 2012 I recieved for my bday in Feb.

I cracked that bad boy open tonight. Now I am ready for bed. Gratefully. Maybe I should stop reading the news.

They were in CHURCH. They were at WORSHIP. I can't understand. I slept very little last night and anticipate the same tonight. Those poor people. One victim was 87? Is that right? How sick and plain old mean and evil do you have to be to gun down people who can barely move.

Hate is a really bad word but I can safely say I hate this awful murderer.

Well, let me just point this out to you while you are so proud of being politically correct, this is the second time you have mentioned a political association of racist is your post, specifically when you label them as " conservative areas", you do know this pastor was a republican senator right?
Might want to keep that in mind while you're talking down to us.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

No he was a Democrat. if you need a link for that I've got several.

Way to go! I am thankful for people like you. Little by little and then hopefully more and more, people will get it.

I am not a good example. I am ashamed that I don't tell these people to shut up. Because I need my job. I hope you don't think I am someone worthy of praise for standing up for my beliefs.

I will probably wait until my baby is done with college. So I am a coward, lol.

No he was a Democrat. if you need a link for that I've got several.

Being a non American I really don't get what you guys mean. This was a race crime period right? Politics aside. He killed people and that was wrong. JMHO.

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

All murder is not hate related but when you look at a group of people and say "I'm killing you because you are black" that is a deeper level of evil and deserves to be labeled as just that Hate..

That's fine. I just don't know how much of a deeper level of hate you can get than killing 9 innocent church people. You are already at the limit. Aren't all lives of equal value?

But you can still either give them the death penalty or LWOP. The hate designation is just a paperwork thing to make prosecutors/politicians look tough on crime whether they are or not.

I agree. Guns aren't the problem. It's the mentality of the gun owner. Someone who is mentally unstable or criminal minded should never be in possession of a firearm. I was born and raised in the south. It was and is still an oddity to me to hear of a gun free home. I've never known anyone to use one for anything other than protection or for sport.

The problem is the gun culture in America that will not even allow us to require back ground checks to own a gun, to determine if the person is mentally competent to own a gun.

I apologize again. I did not realize encouraging PE and more recess at schools equated with some to bad words and hitting things. Apparently, today not saying that most people in the South are bigoted racists and boys need to sit still more and move less is earning me a-scolding' today. I will be fixin' to try to do more better tomorrow.

But you didn't encourage PE and more recess. It was a sweeping generalisation about gender stereotypes of children, equated with the psychology of hate filled mass murderers.

But you can still either give them the death penalty or LWOP. The hate designation is just a paperwork thing to make prosecutors/politicians look tough on crime whether they are or not.

It is NOT a paperwork thing.

It is a racially motivated hate crime.

[modsnip]

He drove from Columbia to Charleston and targeted a historical black church.

Was there something in recent news that made him choose that particular site? The Civil War started at Ft. Sumter, was that the reason?

He's still alive, so we'll probably learn his motive. He told a woman at the church he was going to let her live so she could tell the story. I think he didn't resist arrest because he wants to live so he can have the spotlight and speak his mind. So different from other mass murderers in recent history.

No I don't. I'm going by what was on the news this am when I left for work If I was wrong then I apologize for that.

I still don't agree with lumping a group together, passing judgement and then pretending as if you're enlightened.

It's the kind of faulty thinking that leads to racism in the first place.

Sorry but I think you've got movie and TV aggression mixed up with temperamental differences between men and women. My husband has it taken care of just fine. Certain public institutions just do not help to raise men anymore. It definitely has to be home-schooled, so to speak.
I guess these days, words have too many meanings, and people always go for the most offensive version available to them. It is almost like people would rather get upset than actually communicate.

I think you are painting with a wide brush, and that's me censoring myself. What kind of people were you around in Texas?
I've spent a heck of a lot more time in the South than any four years, and no, this kind of talk isn't common place. Not even close. You don't know what your are talking about.

I see more racist right here than I have all day in Charleston. And it's probably not the kind you are thinking of. I've been around lots of people in Charleston today and yet, the anger and division is found on this site today. Pretty sad.

Can we not mourn these good people and realize that THIS GUY is racist and killed them in cold blood after sitting among them in one of the most sacred places and feel awful about that without trying to slander millions of people?

This is exactly what this creep wants. Nice job playing right into his hands.

Thanks was not enough. I haven't read through the entire thread yet , I was hoping to see the tone of this thread was more civil before I commented on several of the remarks that have been made.

First, I have lived in South Carolina , off and on for 30 years and have family scattered across this beautiful state in rural areas, in Columbia, Greenville, Charleston. I attended school and worked here , my children attended school and work here, as do all my family members. We have professional, blue collar, white collar, farmers, veterans, bikers in our family..our incomes cover the spectrum. The schools I attended and my children attended had a a minium 55/45 racial makeup. Yes, we have ran into some truly racist individuals from both races but neither I or any of my family members have ever encountered a hint of a mainstream racial subculture.

Second, any given day you can look in the newspaper and find individuals from both races arrested for the 3rd or 4th time ...not all whites get off with a slap on the wrist and not all blacks are immediately tried and convicted or shot or brutilized in custody. I have a couple family members in LE...one was on duty last night at the church. I can assure you most LE bend over backwards to perform their duties by the book .

Third Dylann Roof committed a horrible , racist crime. Doesn't mean he could not also have a mental illness. Doesn't mean his father knew his son was such a troubled soul when he gave him the gun. Doesn't mean his parents did not do their best to teach him love, acceptance, kindness , compassion.. he very well could of been raised in a racist environment but we have no proof of that. I believe some people are just lost in their minds and in their hearts and latch on to a cause that empowers them to blame someone or something else for what they believe is a wretched life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288