Identified! CA - Los Angeles, WhtFem HC1367, 18-30, Dec'70 - Shannon Capriola

Hope is okay to post this on an 'Identified' thread but Inv Machian listed on June 3 2015 NamUs UID 13909. Is either an error...or this UID remains a UID...for the information given is the same as when accompanied by Shannon's morgue photo..(no photo with new listing).

Have emailed Inv Machian for clarification.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13909

Know it is only 4 days since I emailed Inv Machian.....but in past correspondence he always replied with a day.....Anyone who is familiar with my user-name knows I don't stay long...so am concerned that I will forget about this issue in short order...and leave this thread hanging.

I did NOT make contact with the NamUs contact for UID 13909.....so that option remains open if a moderator determines it be best to make contact/resolve the issue....for there is either a body ...or there isn't a body...attached to this file....all I know is the information in the file belongs to Shannon Capriola....and by all accounts she was identified and is buried in Ohio. Will attach news articles so readily available to read.

Thanks and sorry for not being able to keep up...

Attachments

• Shannon 3.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 6972.jpg
    6972.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 6974.jpg
    6974.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 54
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/899ufca.html

The Doe Network
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: December 31, 1970
Location of Discovery: Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Recognizable
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 18-30 years old
Race: White
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Case History

The victim was located at 740 South Manspiel Avenue in Los Angeles, California, on December 31, 1970.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Los Angeles County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Daniel Machian
Agency Phone Number: 323-343-0754

Agency Case Number: 1970-13781; Jane Doe #82
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: Not listed
Former Hot Case Number: 1367
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

Los Angeles County Department of Coroner

Hey Romulus, thanks for always posting new ones, keeps me busy! Lets bring some closure to these cases!

This Jane Doe was ID'd not long after her death as an Ohio woman named Shannon Capriola. Not sure why they never closed the Jane Doe casefile.

ETA: Merging with existing thread.

I knew Shanon Capriola and her fiancee, a physician, who was a close personal friend.

She had gone to Los Angeles with my friend for his residency and they had by and large planned on staying there for a variety of reasons, none of which are germane to this issue.

There are some other aspects of this case that are very interesting.

Shannon had been wearing an extremely unusual piece of vintage jewelry the evening of her murder, and it was not found on her person when her body was discovered. The LAPD detectives that were working the case felt that the murderer had either stolen it or perhaps a passer-by had taken it from her body. Regardless, they ran a "lost and found" ad in the old Hollywood Citizen News, the Freep (Los Angeles Free Fress) and the LA Times, describing the piece and offering a $500 reward because it was of strong sentimental value as well as it's inherent jewelry value.

One person called (a lady) described the piece in precise and correct detail and asked how and when they could meet to collect the reward. The detective suggested that they meet immediately, but the caller indicated that she had seen it on top of her son's bureau, admired it, and he had explained to her that he'd found it on the sidewalk, so she had to clear it with him and that they couldn't get together until after he got home from work. The caller declined to leave her name or any additional information until she discussed it with her son, and she never called back again.

These were the pre-911 or caller ID times and the analog tracing methods being used then were much more time consuming than the resources we have now, so that's where the case pretty much hit a brick wall.

Shannon's family had extensive financial, networking and information gathering resources and they used all of them for the entire next year to try and re-establish a connection to the caller or determine if there had been any valid "buy-able" street level gossip about the murder, but never got anywhere either.

Her fiancee eventually moved to Ft. Lauderdale FL, and still practices there today. To have something so terrible happen to someone that was your friend (and downstairs neighbor in Kent Ohio) made an impact that I still think about today.

Shannon was bright, beautiful and had her whole life in front of her, it was just a terrible and haunting tragedy.

I just found out that I’m related to Shannon, she was a cousin of mine who died well before I was born (I was born in 1994). But I’m looking into this as my mom just told me about it, I never even heard her until a few weeks ago. Is there any information on who killed her? Or anywhere I might be able to look to find this information?

Quote myself to save time.

It's possible that Shannon's last name was Capriola rather than Caprola.

A Shannon Faye Capriola is listed in the CA Death Index as deceased in December 1970. And, while an Ohio obituary specific to Shannon couldn't be found, there was a 2005 obituary for a James Guy Capriola of Tallmadge in the Akron-Beacon Journal. He was preceded in death by a daughter, Shannon Faye. This Shannon was also listed as preceding her grandmother in death in the grandmother's 1999 obituary.

If the Shannon identified as the victim found on 12/31/1970 in L.A. is the same Shannon listed in the obituaries, imo, it would seem unlikely that her family would have left her unclaimed in CA.

Yes, Shannon has an obituary. I’ll try to attach it. She was my cousin, and I only just learned that she ever existed, so I’m looking into this to see if there’s any information on who killed her.

Clipping from The Akron Beacon Journal - Newspapers.com

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo