Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

Well, luckily (sarcasm), my horror of a Governor, Bobby Jindal, has sworn to make SURE no gays get married in our pristine Gret Stet Of Loosiana.

Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration says gay marriage will currently not be offered or recognized in Louisiana, but his staff acknowledged it's likely coming.

"Our agencies will have no choice but to comply with the Supreme Court's decision when the 5th Circuit Court orders the ruling into effect – even though we disagree with it and believe it was wrongly decided, and has nothing to do with the Constitution," said Mike Reed, Jindal's spokesman in the governor's office.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/bobby_jindal_administration_sa_1.html

My impression is that there are those who actually believe that if gay marriage is legal, not only will gay people now be FORCED to marry, and that if you live in a state which embraces gay marriage, it will turn you gay. You KNOW they think that. Otherwise, why would they care?????

Stupid people.

Look at this quote: (talking about Huckabee)

"After seeing him campaign Thursday morning at the Dinky Diner in Decatur City, Tracee Knapp, secretary of the Ringgold County Republican Party, concluded that unlike party elites in Washington, “he’s not neutered.”

“I’m just sick of secular things,” she said. “Homosexual issues are on the television all the time. I’ll be honest — we live on a farm. We have to have a bull and a cow to make a baby. We have to have a rooster and a hen. Maybe some Republicans need to come live on a farm.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5eddc056ad8a_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop_b

Give up your government job if you are sick of secular issues!!!

Look at this quote: (talking about Huckabee)

"After seeing him campaign Thursday morning at the Dinky Diner in Decatur City, Tracee Knapp, secretary of the Ringgold County Republican Party, concluded that unlike party elites in Washington, “he’s not neutered.”

“I’m just sick of secular things,” she said. “Homosexual issues are on the television all the time. I’ll be honest — we live on a farm. We have to have a bull and a cow to make a baby. We have to have a rooster and a hen. Maybe some Republicans need to come live on a farm.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5eddc056ad8a_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop_b

Give up your government job if you are sick of secular issues!!!

BBM.

But there is a faction that is intent on forcing their fundie religious beliefs down the throats of everyone else.

Despite the whole "separation of church and state" thing......just the foundation of our country....

I have always believed that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.Seriously,the only difference is in their choice of a sexual partner,and whose business is that,but their own?As long as it is consenting adults,it's nobody's business.

Years ago,I watched a documentary,chronicling the day to day life of a long time lesbian couple.One was a pastor,and I believe the other one may have been a teacher.Their life together was no different from any straight couple's life.They worked,went to events together,grocery shopped,just a normal life together.

Why should they not be legally considered a couple,and be entitled to the same legal rights that straight married couples are.

Of course,they can now,as gay marriage was legalized here quite a few years ago.And for the most part,I think most Canadians are quite fine with it.The sky hasn't fallen.

I am truly happy for the US.Actually quite surprised that it was such a close 5-4 decision.

Gay marriage has been legal since 2001 in Holland. Get the fabric of society has not broken down. People are not allowed to marry their dogs. For their sisters. For children. Life has gone on, as normal.

I added US to the title intro.
That felt good. :) Any other title updates requests?

ETA: 2nd thought, should it be left off for global?

My impression is that there are those who actually believe that if gay marriage is legal, not only will gay people now be FORCED to marry, and that if you live in a state which embraces gay marriage, it will turn you gay. You KNOW they think that. Otherwise, why would they care?????

Stupid people.

I think they care because (a) they are focused on sex they consider "icky", without considering that ALL sex is pretty "icky" if you think about it; and more often (b) they don't want to have to change the way they think.

When my husband and I were shopping for wedding rings, the clerk at one store found something my soon-to-be-husband liked and then said, "And will you want the same ring for your fiancee? Do you know her ring size?"

I replied, not unkindly, "I am his finance and you can measure my ring size." The clerk was clearly uncomfortable, though she shifted gears and did her best to be helpful. She was probably just embarrassed, but I was struck how all our assumptions about married couples have to change when same-sex marriage is legalized.

As we've seen in the RD thread, people will stand on their heads before they willingly rethink their assumptions about "essentialist" positions.

From this day forward, no one in the U.S. will be able to assume that a man or woman with a wedding ring is straight and married to the opposite sex (always a convenient, if faulty assumption).

I added US to the title intro.
That felt good. :) Any other title updates requests?

ETA: 2nd thought, should it be left off for global?

JMO, but I'd leave out the US. I like to follow the many countries that come to the same conclusion. It's not a national issue -- it's a human issue. And perhaps someday it won't be an issue at all. But I've enjoyed reading, say, how Greenland's government voted unanimously on this, and how the Irish referendum was a convincing victory. This is a global issue.

It's just so illogical how some people are shouting about protecting religious liberty at the same time that they're demanding that the laws of the country that govern everybody's lives be shaped according to THEIR religion.

I lived next door to a lovely pair of eldery ladies years ago. They presented themselves as "sisters" that never found the right men to marry. I could tell, though I never called them out or anything, that they were spouses and had been for many years. Their love for each other was evident, and I'm positive it was more than sex, lol.

They have both passed away now, but I am thinking of them frequently recently. I wish they could have seen just a few more years...

I have always believed that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.Seriously,the only difference is in their choice of a sexual partner,and whose business is that,but their own?As long as it is consenting adults,it's nobody's business.

Years ago,I watched a documentary,chronicling the day to day life of a long time lesbian couple.One was a pastor,and I believe the other one may have been a teacher.Their life together was no different from any straight couple's life.They worked,went to events together,grocery shopped,just a normal life together.

Why should they not be legally considered a couple,and be entitled to the same legal rights that straight married couples are.

Of course,they can now,as gay marriage was legalized here quite a few years ago.And for the most part,I think most Canadians are quite fine with it.The sky hasn't fallen.

I am truly happy for the US.Actually quite surprised that it was such a close 5-4 decision.

I think the title should remain as is. There are plenty of places left to follow.

I'm guessing that you mean that this thread shouldn't be US-specific. It was once international, then KateB changed it to a US thread, but being circumspect she asked us if we thought that it should be a US or international thread, and apparently she changed it back to an international thread, for which I am thankful.

I think they care because (a) they are focused on sex they consider "icky", without considering that ALL sex is pretty "icky" if you think about it; and more often (b) they don't want to have to change the way they think.

When my husband and I were shopping for wedding rings, the clerk at one store found something my soon-to-be-husband liked and then said, "And will you want the same ring for your fiancee? Do you know her ring size?"

I replied, not unkindly, "I am his finance and you can measure my ring size." The clerk was clearly uncomfortable, though she shifted gears and did her best to be helpful. She was probably just embarrassed, but I was struck how all our assumptions about married couples have to change when same-sex marriage is legalized.

As we've seen in the RD thread, people will stand on their heads before they willingly rethink their assumptions about "essentialist" positions.

From this day forward, no one in the U.S. will be able to assume that a man or woman with a wedding ring is straight and married to the opposite sex (always a convenient, if faulty assumption).

I am chuckling at "icky".

You are right. The actual visualization of anyone's sex-having but mine is, indeed icky.

Especially my parents. :thud:

Here's an international list
http://www.freedomtomarry.org/landscape/entry/c/international

It's a bit premature about Finland though. There's already a registered partnership that gives most of the same rights as marriage except adoption and an equal rights marriage law was passed in the parliament that would allow adoption too. But there are more parliamentary steps that must be taken before gays can actually get married and the minister responsible for that stuff is dragging his feet.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/justice_minister_handling_gender-neutral_marriage_law_awkward/8106174

You are right. The actual visualization of anyone's sex-having but mine is, indeed icky.

A few years back my son- then about 14- and I got into some discussion that somehow wound around to the fact that his mother and I actually have a sex life- it wasn't as gross a discussion as it sounds, just sort of a gentle joke. Anyway he said he couldn't even imagine that. I replied that I never could imagine my parents that way and that his kids are not going to be able to imagine him that way either- it's just some sort of psychological barrier that may be a safeguard.

Sex: the pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable.

Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield

It's just so illogical how some people are shouting about protecting religious liberty at the same time that they're demanding that the laws of the country that govern everybody's lives be shaped according to THEIR religion.

That s because they believe that freedom is for them, not for other people and especially not for other people who disagree with them.

I was walking through John Wayne Airport and saw this on the TV screen. I just broke down and cried. What a celebration my brother and I would have had, if only he were here with me! As far as I'm concerned this never should have been an issue! And I still can't stop crying. I'm very happy but still just a little sad too and angry!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back