CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

Can anyone read the small print on the bag under the word Dartt?

Dart or Dartt (could be a stylized single t, maybe)
Australia underneath

Standard Long.

The rays around the sun look like they could be letters also, but I can't make them out.

I found an article indicating they're aware of the possibility and don't think it's him: http://www.postindependent.com/article/20041018/VALLEYNEWS/110180005

That was a great find!

From what that article reports the police as saying, I can't see real obstacles to matching the UID with Scott. I realize Scott left a suicide note, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence he actually killed himself. Perhaps he just wanted to disappear permanently? And had just gone to the woods to hang out for a while until he could make decisions and move on?

To me, several features of Scott's case complement UID's, e.g. UID's car has never been found, but Scott's car has.

It would help our case if the police had said whether:
-Scott had backpacking experience
-Scott was a heavy smoker
-there was a "Lib" in Scott's life
-Scott had damage to his back, or if he was taking painkillers perhaps not knowing what the problem was
-Scott liked to play games, e.g. Battleships
-Scott owned a pair of Sharper Image binoculars
-Scott had a pair of boots with a hole (although this could have happened on the trip, or these could belong to a thief)
-there was non-backpacking clothing in Scott's car, or other detritus that gets left over while packing for a backpack trip
-if that pack was purchased in Grand Junction (there's an REI there, and other outdoor stores); I'll bet several of the other items (e.g. the filter and bear spray) were bought at the same time
-Scott had credit cards with him, and were credit card purchases tracked to see if backpacking equipment had been purchased (that Jansport pack really sticks out to me)

It's interesting how little information LE seems to have on Scott!

It sounds like Scott is the kind of man who would have owned most of this stuff and wouldn't have to buy it just for the trip.

It sounds like Scott is the kind of man who would have owned most of this stuff and wouldn't have to buy it just for the trip.

Is there a place where it is described what kind of man Scott is? I couldn't find any information.

The backpacking equipment at the UID campsite needn't have been purchased just for the one trip. The UID could have owned a lot of it for some time. That model pack, however, seems not to be older than 2000. The UID was also an experienced backpacker: I can tell from the list of surviving equipment and the fact that everything had a purpose. There was no extraneous stuff (except lighters and cigarettes), for instance, that UID packed "just in case": no street clothes, no extra extra pair of socks, no spare underwear, no coins..... People who aren't experienced pack all kinds of extra crap:their packs weigh twice as much as they should.

When people are heading out on a trip, they often purchase one or two pieces of new gear, either as an upgrade (e.g. a pack) or something they've wanted to have during a prior trip. It wouldn't surprise me if UID did this. Often folks will also make an "anxiety purchase" or two while they're at it. UID might have bought the bear spray and bear bell with this in mind..... Anti-bear stuff is a common "anxiety purchase" for folks preparing for trips, even if there's no history of bear problems at their destination.

I was referring to the information about Scott in the article I posted, indicating he liked to hunt and fish in the mountains.

Yeah, I know about purchasing gear for a trip :) I hike too, though as our knees get older, we've been doing less hiking and more canoeing.

He did pack two extras: those electronic games.

I was referring to the information about Scott in the article I posted, indicating he liked to hunt and fish in the mountains.

Yeah, I know about purchasing gear for a trip :) I hike too, though as our knees get older, we've been doing less hiking and more canoeing.

He did pack two extras: those electronic games.

Oh, okay, now I see. Dang, Scott sounds like a good match for the UID. And the location where he went missing just sounds too coincidental. Two guys about the same age and build, both good outdoorsmen, missing about the same time, in one swathe of forest?

I bet Scott was a smoker: he doesn't look like a health nut.

I don't believe UID was dead several years before he was found, because the tent would have been shredded (I once saw a tent in ribbons, and I don't think it had been abandoned that long), and the report implied it was identifiably tent-ish. 2002 sounds about right, maybe fall. They could have analyzed the leaves under the tent, I suppose.

I wonder if the local sheriff would be willing to provide us with any more information?

Yes, the two electronic games were evidently his "luxury items." I doubt they weighed very much? I was trying to say that I was impressed that the UID didn't set out with random extras or "anxiety-based overpacking", as a neophyte would: this takes a lot of confidence and a great deal of thought. It would be interesting to know where he packed the pack.....'cos he almost certainly eliminated things.

But I still think someone came across the campsite and stole some items and maybe swapped his boots. And there has to be a bag in a tree or a bear bin. IMO. However, he didn't "bear bag" his 20 packs of cigarettes? Maybe mice aren't into tobacco?

Maybe the UID ate water hemlock, confusing it with something edible. This is not a rare occurrence.

I destroyed my legs backpacking (even with just a 22lb load) incidentally, so like you I go boating (and mountain biking and car camping and snowshoeing), but I have also worked in the outdoor recreation industry for years.

Sorry if this is a repeat but found this missing man and it reminded me of this case :) Tried searching the thread but didn't get any results with the last name.

Robert Carl Befort
http://www.missingin.org/reg8552/robert_carl_befort.htm

Well, that's an interesting possibility! I would guess that the White River UID died in 2002 or so, but that doesn't mean Befort didn't go wandering around the US before he died.

The timeframe is "No longer than 5 years prior" so 2000 is within the range.

He had back surgery. The UID had spinal degeneration--don't know if it included surgery.

The UID was around 6 feet tall. Befort is a bit taller at 75". Weight unknown.

That's about the end of the objective information to match on. The tattoos would have been gone and apparently they didn't find any hair, either. There's no reconstruction to compare.

And that note is just too weird to be a coincidence. This one should be turned in.

re: Befort...
first, a reminder that someone a few pages back said they have a relative named Olive who is nicknamed Libby...

anyway I looked up Robert Carl Befort on ancestry.com and his second wife is/was Toni Lillian Olive (I won't put her maiden name for privacy purposes I guess). Just thought that was an interesting coincidence.

I forgot to include his Namus link last night:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20213/15

He seems to have been a biker, judging from his nickname "Biker Bob" and the "Live to Ride" tattoo. Which doesn't preclude being a hiker as well but does make it less likely.

He appears to have been driving a stolen car that has never been located. Silver Springs Nevada to the WMNF area is around 800 miles, a long day of driving.

I'm following another thread in Websleuths of an unidentified man found in Nevada where law Enforcement has asked for help and they even log in here and answer questions regularly. That case is rolling right along. With the help of Sleuthers, LE has been able to answer questions that have gone unanswered for over 20 years. This case reminds me of that one. Both male skeletons found a long time ago in remote locations with various items. With these cases being so old, I honestly don't think either will be solved unless someone comes forward and recognizes the UID, especially if they are not locals. I believe both cases are solvable, but the other case that has law enforcement and Websleuths working together is moving right along nicely and will probably be solved. I wish the detectives working this case could/would answer some of the questions that have been asked.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ff-Of-Sand-Canyon-Road-Near-Wellington/page12

My first post! All the way from Holland..
I was following this thread and wondering about the notebook; could the fragments reading: " ar on the . . . would you call her. d have it sent. you because I . . want it. where" be read as:
"bronze star on the .wall. . would you call her.and have it sent.to you because I .would . . want it to be . where ever. . . my ashe s are going."

My first post! All the way from Holland..
I was following this thread and wondering about the notebook; could the fragments reading: " ar on the . . . would you call her. d have it sent. you because I . . want it. where" be read as:
"bronze star on the .wall. . would you call her.and have it sent.to you because I .would . . want it to be . where ever. . . my ashe s are going."

Welcome to WS! I think that is a fantastic guess as to what the notebook could have said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cynde64
Back