CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

I wonder if those girls were ever talked to in the first place.

It doesn't sound like it was done properly...looks to me like the Camp leaders shielded those girls from investigators, but why would they do this unless they were worried about what the girls might have known? Cover up anyone?

Connie's mother died very young, some say it was from a broken heart never knowing what happened to her baby girl. It was in the 1960's.

Back in the day, no one but no one thought this was anything more than a young girl, from from home, who was walking to use a phone to call her parents and got lost. LE, towns people and her father, spent weeks hunting for clues to her going missing, thousands of flyers were sent out by mail across the US as well as issued to troopers to pass along to store owners, bus stops, train stations, dinners, gas stations just about anyplace people would frequent. The police commissioner kept this case open and going for years, as did the troopers who were assigned to that barracks and beyond. The Connie Smith case was one of those cases that stuck with you, and for whatever reason, LE persons wanted to find the end of the mystery. No one wanted to think she had been kidnapped or worst. It just didn't happen there. But clearly something happened.

I believed LE did speak to the girls but I don't think the right questions were asked, since eye witnesses saw her walking and asking for directions, her simply getting lost was the only answer. And yes summer camps often hired persons who were pedifile since there were no background checks back then the only way the camps would find out is if something happened to alert them.

I would love to find the girls who tented with Connie and write to them, it's been a long time, I would hope someone in the group might to tell their story. But so far no one has come forward.

http://azdailysun.com/blogs/crimina...cle_aa7bb154-abcf-11e3-aca7-0019bb2963f4.html

The above website mentions Little Miss X, Pinky Redman and Mary Begay, entwined in a cold case with a single set of remains still missing in the Flagstaff, AZ. Those same remains, without 100% conclusive forensic findings, have also been tied to the Connie Smith case, as far fetched as it may seem.

If only, the location of those remains could be found, one unidentified person and their family could finally put a name to a stone. Isn't that really all we have when we are born into this world...a name to identify us.

This area is a body dump, remains not only from the US but the World wait to be found and identified.

Link to the Coconino County Cold Case Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/CCSO.ColdCases.MissingPersons

July 11th was Connie's 72nd birthday and tomorrow it will be sixty-two years since she walked down that dirt driveway and disappeared. I can't help but think that with so many people on the internet they must be someone someplace that was at camp with Connie and can give information on what happened that lead up to her leaving that morning. It's been so long what harm is there now in telling their story? There are so many question and so little answers. It may be impossible to discover what happened to her that day, but then again small bits and pieces of information put together can build a picture of the day. I hope someone will contact me/us with any information, no matter how little or how much.

RIP Connie where ever you are.

Somebody out there knows something. Probably some of the girls, now older women, who were at camp that day and perhaps for years have not wanted to become involved in pointing fingers at someone working there. Some of her former tent mates are perhaps already passed on, most of them will in another decade. I somehow doubt this was done by a stranger. It looks like she may have accepted a lift from someone, maybe someone she recognized from the camp. Never underestimate the reluctance of people to 'get involved'...

Bumping.

63 years ago, Connie went hitchhiking into town and hasn't been seen since. She probably never reached her destination. If she was intending to call home, wouldn't she had asked one of the residents that gave her directions?

63 years is a long time to keep quiet about something, I wonder how many people involved are still alive? Even if you weren't involved, shed some light on what happened to Connie during her last day at camp. Connie would be 73 today if she was still alive.

Also, her father only died 3 years ago, at the age of 97? He spent 60 years searching for Connie... Such a sad story overall

Every year on this date I reflect on Connie. A headstrong young girl driven to do right. A girl from Wyoming who, while on summer vacation, traveled with her mother to visit grandparents and attend summer camp in the NW hills of Connecticut but walked away from camp that morning, maybe angry, definitely upset and on a mission in her own mind yet only days from leaving camp to head home. What or who was it that drove her to go?

Could she have detoured once again to ask direction at a home along the way? Or was she struck by a vehicle and taken from the scene? Or did someone pick her up with the promise of taking her to her requested destination but instead had other evil plans?

Someone knows something, saw something or heard something that could bring answers in this story. There were other girls in her tent, where are they? Can they shed a light on this story? What of other campers that summer of 1952, maybe they did not share Connie's tent but what story can they tell? Why, after all these years, has no one from that tragic day come forth?

I want to thanks everyone for the continued questions, searches, wondering and answers not only about Connie Smith but for hundreds and hundreds of other missing persons. There are answers out there, and people do have knowledge, please, be strong, standup and tell what you know, even just a tidbit of information, you'll never know if your tidbit fills a hole in the puzzle that could make a difference.

The one thing I find really odd while reading all these posts about her case, if she was headed to town in order to phone someone, why didn't she just ask to use the phone in one of the houses she already went to for directions anyway?

From time to time I drop in on this thread. Just one comment, it's been said before but bears repeating. The single most important clue here is Connie's glasses being left behind.

Without them how did she manage to walk away? I have come to think she didn't. In the words of another poster, she was 'meangirled' to death and the camp and participants have covered it up over sixty years.

I'd bet any investigator or author trying to contact any of her tent mates today would run into a solid brick wall.

how well could she see without her glasses? i dont think she would leave them behind if possible, but if could see somewhat and was in a hurry to try to leave then she might. but IMHO, something happened at the camp and there is plenty of coverup to go around and those "mean" girls, they knew more than they are saying

From time to time I drop in on this thread. Just one comment, it's been said before but bears repeating. The single most important clue here is Connie's glasses being left behind.

Without them how did she manage to walk away? I have come to think she didn't. In the words of another poster, she was 'meangirled' to death and the camp and participants have covered it up over sixty years.

I'd bet any investigator or author trying to contact any of her tent mates today would run into a solid brick wall.

But there are several witnesses who interacted with her or saw her on the road outside of camp. She stopped at a house and asked directions.

But there are several witnesses who interacted with her or saw her on the road outside of camp. She stopped at a house and asked directions.

Whatever happened to her at camp is only relevant to Connie's disappearance insofar as it set her on her course that day. A lost, crying, precociously pretty young girl is especially vulnerable to an opportunistic predator driving down the road. Given that Connie was more than a bit sheltered and likely naive regarding the intent behind male attention, there's little question in my mind regarding the kind of person who picked her up and what she suffered oncehe did.

Those girls at camp with Connie were never solidly questioned. Statistically, I doubt many of Connie's camp mates are alive. And the ones who are may have dementia or they may have serious health issues that may render them incapable of answering questions. What about this, though: what if one of Connie's bunkmates had a less than savory relative and they were the ones who picked up Connie?

Those girls at camp with Connie were never solidly questioned. Statistically, I doubt many of Connie's camp mates are alive. And the ones who are may have dementia or they may have serious health issues that may render them incapable of answering questions. What about this, though: what if one of Connie's bunkmates had a less than savory relative and they were the ones who picked up Connie?

How is it known in what manner the kids were questioned? Connie was 10 when she disappeared in 1952. Statistically speaking, many of her bunkmates should still be alive, since the average life expectancy of a woman in the US is 81 years old and these women would be 73/74 years old. Furthermore, I don't know why a relative of one of her bunkmates would be a more likely abductor than a random pedophile. Peoples' relatives rarely hang around sleep-away camp.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back