FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
>

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...h-florida-boys-austin-stephanos-perry-n402331
"We are going through a lot of money really fast. I think we spent more than $100,000 yesterday," Stephanos said. "It scares the hell out of me."

God speed.
JMO

I am not surprised. I was wondering how much the search would cost/per day.

I really cannot believe that people are donating money because they think they are going to find the boys alive after more than a week. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the folowers turn this into an unsolved mystery, where they insist the boys ended up on a desert island or were kidnapped by people in another boat or started a new life in The Bahamas.

Well said.

Many seem to me as if they live through the misery of these two families. It's weird bordering on pathological imo. Having compassion and trying to help is one thing, but some people are just so out there ... they seem to be lost as well, in a different kind of sea.

Sometimes I think that people believe, maybe even unconsciously, that if they have enough empathy for other people's troubles that trouble won't find them.

This is a video of the ocean conditions off of Jupiter Inlet on the day and time the boys left. This is a Twitter account, but if is the official Twitter for WPTV channel 5 news. @JayCashmere is a local West Palm news anchor/reporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WPTV/status/626117210298318848/video/1

*I know there was a question on here earlier about when the boys left. Although they may have gotten gas between 10 and 11 AM, they were observed heading out of Jupiter Inlet as the storm was approaching between 1:30 and 2. A commercial fisherman that was coming in as the boys were leaving said he was having difficulty controlling his much larger boat.

This is a video of the ocean conditions off of Jupiter Inlet on the day and time the boys left. This is a Twitter account, but if is the official Twitter for WPTV channel 5 news. @JayCashmere is a local West Palm news anchor/reporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WPTV/status/626117210298318848/video/1

*I know there was a question on here earlier about when the boys left. Although they may have gotten gas between 10 and 11 AM, they were observed heading out of Jupiter Inlet as the storm was approaching between 1:30 and 2. A commercial fisherman that was coming in as the boys were leaving said he was having difficulty controlling his much larger boat.
Wow! What a perspective. I wonder how large his boat is...

I have a question. How much marine fuel would $110.00 buy? It seems to me that getting that much fuel the intent is to travel farther than just in the inlet. I don't know many if any 14 year olds that have $110.00 at any one time to just go out and buy that much fuel or anything else.

I am not blaming anyone, it just seems odd to me.

JMOs

Btw, apparently the price of yetis has come down a lot since we bought ours. Pelican coolers have come out as competition and I guess supply and demand are bringing prices down. I bought the smallest one for like 375.00 years ago.

It's interesting that neither of these grown men are wearing life jackets.....
Unfortunately, many Adult boaters don't wear them. It is possible the man on the left (steering) has an inflatable life jacket that is worn in a pouch around the waist. (They are really unobtrusive.) The man on the right does not appear to have anything around his waist. Hopefully they had them within reach....

Wow! What a perspective. I wonder how large his boat is...
I am not an expert, but the boat in the video looks larger then our old 21' boat and somewhat smaller then our current 30'. I would guess it is a 25' - so quite a bit bigger then the boys' 19' boat.

It depends. I read that the motor was a '98 or '99 Yamaha 125. It was definitely more fuel than they needed to go catch a few in the inlet, or even just outside the inlet. The house the boat was docked at was not far from the inlet at all.

I haven't been around here since Friday, so I havent read anything here since then. There are some questions being raised that don't put this whole thing in a very good light, but do me a favor- if you post on any of the FB groups for this, just be careful. There's some crazy stuff going on and the weirdos are coming out of the woodwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor has it that Jupiter Inlet is "unmarked" which means that boating insurance companies won't pay out if your boat sinks.
I have no idea if that applies to life insurance too?

I don't know about the insurance part for sure, but it is classified as "non-navigable" by the Coast Guard. There was also a sign added at some point in the last year or so that reads "Dangerous inlet, local knowledge required" or something very close to that.

"Standing waves" are another issue w the inlet- the outgoing current is so strong that it can block the forward momentum of incoming waves, and they become motionless for lack of a better word. It will curl over itself in place and disperse to the sides. If the captain continues ahead over the standing wave at high speed...this happens.
050629c7cc64c8488537e87c442e9643.jpg

Forgive me if this has already been discussed:

The boat was capsized with the motor cover, 2 life vests and the cooler missing, right?? So does it not seem really strange that NOTHING has been found other than the boat. No clothing, remnants of life preservers, cooler ? the motor head could have taken on water and dropped to the bottom as well as the cooler, but not a shred of anything else from the boat ? Even if the boys did not get their life jackets on in time ....they float---wouldn't at least one of the vests have been found after a week on the ocean??

....and if they did get the vests on, no matter what their outcome, would they still not have them on their bodies. SOMETNING from their boat should have been found by now--don't you think??

Forgive me if this has already been discussed:

The boat was capsized with the motor cover, 2 life vests and the cooler missing, right?? So does it not seem really strange that NOTHING has been found other than the boat. No clothing, remnants of life preservers, cooler ? the motor head could have taken on water and dropped to the bottom as well as the cooler, but not a shred of anything else from the boat ? Even if the boys did not get their life jackets on in time ....the float---wouldn't at least one of the have been found after a week on the ocean??

....and if they did get the vests on, no matter what their outcome, would they still not have them on their bodies. SOMETNING from their boat should have been found by now--don't you think??

Definitely.

I live in Florida right near the Boca inlet. The Jupiter inlet has a reputation for being one of (if not) the worst inlets to maneuver , that is why the sign is posted - only experienced boaters need try .

That photo a that boat going "vertical" is enough to convince me this poor kids did not have a chance....and , by the way if they are dead I sincerely hope it happened as soon as the boat was capsized...please let it have been quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998