Found Deceased AZ - Jerold Williams, 5, Jacob Lake, 6 Aug 2015

Grasshoppers come out when it's hot and dry, so they may be in some areas and not yet in others. Two thoughts... he may have been chasing crickets, which some people may call grasshoppers but are around more frequently than grasshoppers. And/ or , he may have been hunting/ looking for grasshoppers and not necessarily chasing ones that he saw.

ETA It is hot and dry as heck right now in Texas and we STILL do not have grasshoppers. They are typically a very late summer bug and not sure why they're not out yet, just fwiw.

I guess I didn't word my post right. I meant that finding a foot print 12 miles away eliminates the idea that he was snatched from the original location. I don't know how he would have gone missing that fast and I was thinking an animal snatched him away from his mom's location before hearing about the foot print miles away. So we know he walked 12 miles rather than being taken away by an animal.

I didn't mean he couldn't have been taken later. In my little mind I was picturing an animal snatching him from his mother's location. The foot print wipes that idea out.

He also most likely wouldn't still be walking (12 miles later) if he was handed over to someone. I mean, they "could" still be walking, but not likely.

This has probably been covered earlier, but what kind of wild animals are in that area? I would guess mountain lions , but maybe not much else , as far as a big animal. TIA

Respectfully, posting a link to the wrong campground just confuses people. The campground near Jacob Lake is in a developed area. The one he went missing from is wilderness. IMO they are not comparable.

Respectfully, then would you please post a link to the camp SITE where they were camping when Jerold went missing so we can become unconfused?

I appreciate the compliment, but no thanks. Judging by what I've seen, their "find rate" lately is probably about 10%. It's no wonder they don't publish the stats.

I live in the same terrain, same State, just 180 miles to the east in a little town called Show Low, Az. I would never fit into a SAR unit because I don't like the regiment and the restrictions. Even today, as a storm approached, they called all the searchers in and ordered them to report back to the command center.

[
That's not my style. Common sense is my style, not military type structuring that doesn't yield any results......sort of like these search efforts.

OT: I was in Show Low last week. I'll wave next time we pass through. :)

This has probably been covered earlier, but what kind of wild animals are in that area? I would guess mountain lions , but maybe not much else , as far as a big animal. TIA

I posted a link on the previous page, Post #343, which includes a list of the animals for viewing that habitate in the general area of their camp site.

I don't understand why you think the distance of the footprint would tend to wipe out an attack by an animal at some later time. Also, wouldn't we expect to find two footprints anyway? Wouldn't there just have to be more than one footprint no matter what, if, in fact, the footprint found is actually Jerold's. One footprint in the middle of a forest makes no sense (to me). Is there a link for the footprint finding information? TIA

http://www.12news.com/story/news/lo...inue-search--missing-5-year-old-boy/31324447/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Does anyone think this is where they might be? It says it's 13.5 miles south of Jacob Lake which closely matches what has been stated and it's off FR 241.

Southern Trailhead:* Telephone Hill*
- GPS Coordinates:**36.55147° N, 112.17560° W
- Access:*About 13.5 miles south of Jacob Lake on AZ 67, look for a sign pointing to FR 429 on the west side. Do not turn right onto FR 429, but instead turn left (east) onto FR 241. In 0.1 miles, the AZT crosses the road, but there is no parking here. Continue another 0.1 miles to a little campsite on the left, where you may be able to park.

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_41.html

ETA: Im fairly certain this is where they were camping.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I posted a link on the previous page, Post #343, which includes a list of the animals for viewing that habitate in the general area of their camp site.

Whoa, I had no idea there were bears that far south. Shows what I know. So bears, javelina and cougars are pretty scary for anyone, much less a 5 yr old :( From your link : Watchable Wildlife
Black Bear, Collared Peccary/Javelina, Coues Deer, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Lion/Cougar, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Beaver, Bobcat, Coyote, Gray Fox,

My daughter is on a trip to the Grand Canyon. She said there are a lot of MISSING POSTERS for Jer up and around the area, so far. She is about 80 miles East in Navajo Nation, and has seen a lot of posters put up in windows. So somebody was doing that job, thank goodness.

IMO, I question the footprint. First, there is only one and there was heavy rain reported. Also, it was 12 miles away... which I still find to be an impossible distance for a 5 year old. It IS a lead and of course should be followed up on, but I don't feel like it a solid lead.

IMO, I question the footprint. First, there is only one and there was heavy rain reported. Also, it was 12 miles away... which I still find to be an impossible distance for a 5 year old. It IS a lead and of course should be followed up on, but I don't feel like it a solid lead.

And he probably had pretty common shoes on. I imagine the family shopped in local stores where lots of other boys also bought hiking boots. Like Walmart or Target, etc? So that print could belong to any local kid, imo.

Respectfully, then would you please post a link to the camp SITE where they were camping when Jerold went missing so we can become unconfused?

I just posted this link on the previous page. It is one of the official but unimproved campsites along route 241. http://freecampsites.net/#!17325&query=sitedetails You would need to stop at the rangers station in Jacob Lake to get a local map for the exact location of the campsites along that route.

North Rim, Arizona
GPS: 36.556214, -112.145452
Directions
Public - Forest Service (Official)
The road in is Dirt and varies miles from a paved road. FSR 241 Kaibab National Forest is open Highway 67 (paved) is closed in winter (Nov-May 15). There are 30 or more campsites at this location and the maximum RV length is 15 feet. You may stay unknown at FSR 241 Kaibab National Forest.

I don't understand why you think the distance of the footprint would tend to wipe out an attack by an animal at some later time. Also, wouldn't we expect to find two footprints anyway? Wouldn't there just have to be more than one footprint no matter what, if, in fact, the footprint found is actually Jerold's. One footprint in the middle of a forest makes no sense (to me). Is there a link for the footprint finding information? TIA

I'm not as worried about an animal attack with this one. Predators were hunted extensively, with hyper intensity in the area, for decades. And there is a super high deer population (as a result), that would keep the remaining predators satisfied and without the need to go after a human.

I guess I didn't word my post right. I meant that finding a foot print 12 miles away eliminates the idea that he was snatched from the original location. I don't know how he would have gone missing that fast and I was thinking an animal snatched him away from his mom's location before hearing about the foot print miles away. So we know he walked 12 miles rather than being taken away by an animal.

I didn't mean he couldn't have been taken later. In my little mind I was picturing an animal snatching him from his mother's location. The foot print wipes that idea out.

He also most likely wouldn't still be walking (12 miles later) if he was handed over to someone. I mean, they "could" still be walking, but not likely.

Thanks Gambler, but how do we explain only one footprint, presumably nothing else, just one little footprint? Just trying to understand.

I'm not as worried about an animal attack with this one. Predators were hunted extensively, with hyper intensity in the area, for decades. And there is a super high deer population (as a result), that would keep the remaining predators satisfied and without the need to go after a human.

While true, unfortunately, a full tummy often doesn't prevent mountain lions from hunting for more . . . . Much more than they could possibly eat! IOW, cougars constantly stalk and hunt whether hungry or not. When an opportunity presents itself, the cougar takes it, full tummy or not.

This particular area is a prized area for deer and mountain lion hunts because they are so prevelant in area 12A.

Thanks Gambler, but how do we explain only one footprint, presumably nothing else, just one little footprint? Just trying to understand.

A lot of hard packed ground or ground covered with pine needles would make it hard to find a footprint. Finding one is lucky.

I'm thinking he lost a boot in his trek.
It could have come off stuck in between something and he couldn't get it out.
Wishful thinking.
Pray today is the day he is found!

It would be really unfortunate if the shoe print is not Jerolds and the search focused more in the area it was found.

Personally, I don't think 12 miles is that far for a 5 year old over a 4 day period.

If you think about the 4 hour delay in the 911 call, he could have been miles away before the call came in. Even if he only walked 2 mph, he could have been 8 miles away before 911 was called. And 2 mph is pretty dang slow, my super slow poke 5 y/o does 2 mph at his pokey pace in flip flops that he's learning to walk in.

Here is the updated missing poster from the Coconino Country SD. They also state that inclement weather is moving back into the area but they are continuing the search.
11235043_1067278886630627_6212714318476074743_n.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back