Gerard Baden Clay's murder appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...to-clear-my-name/story-fnihsrf2-1227475584511

(The letter, leaked to The Sunday Mail, was written in the Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre in the lead up to his high profile trial.
He wrote that he felt very fortunate to have been introduced to a prison pastor who was a good friend of his sister Olivia Walton)

Any thoughts on who "leaked" the letter? My vote would be OB-CW.

'Livvie's husband's mate's a is jail pastor is a great mate of mine too at the jail, and is helping me out. Otherwise I live on the faith that my other besties (who I never paid back) have in me. I had a bit of a buster recently. My daughters seem really nice. It is a shame that they got caught up in the misunderstanding.
love G'
so much bro love.

This letter of his seems to be written in the same pompous, pretentious style that his "Blogs" were written. He obviously still has no insight or self awareness.

'Livvie's husband's mate's a is jail pastor is a great mate of mine too at the jail, and is helping me out. Otherwise I live on the faith that my other besties (who I never paid back) have in me. I had a bit of a buster recently. My daughters seem really nice. It is a shame that they got caught up in the misunderstanding.
love G'
so much bro love.

Great paraphrasing

Just wondering, if the charge is upheld by the appeal court (yay) does he have any other avenues? I'm wishing for Allison's family & friends that they can rest knowing he will serve his time out after this.

Just wondering, if the charge is upheld by the appeal court (yay) does he have any other avenues? I'm wishing for Allison's family & friends that they can rest knowing he will serve his time out after this.

He could appeal to the High Court of Australia but has to seek leave to appeal first. It's unlikely though.

just a general comment. Even if he had been convicted of manslaughter he would not have received Allison's insurances as that is an unlawful killing like murder, just basically lacking intent.

Gerard Baden-Clay changes argument in appeal for freedom

August 27, 2015 - 12:00AM

Madonna King

Gerard Baden-Clay shows why we must reform our judicial system.

How can he argue now - as part of his appeal - that he might have unintentionally killed his wife Allison, when he swore black and blue, at his trial only a year ago, that he did not? How is he even allowed to do that?

At any time before his arrest on murder charges, didn't he think it decent to own up?

Baden-Clay might not have found the right time to do that, but it seems beyond opportunistic, and plain wrong, to be now using that as part of his appeal bid for freedom.

And it's just as farcical that our judicial system allows it.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/that-...or-freedom-20150826-gj8ksh.html#ixzz3jwDfto4n

We could use a legal opinion on GBC's appeal tactic IMO. At present Madonna King's opinions speak for many in the community.

We could use a legal opinion on GBC's appeal tactic IMO. At present Madonna King's opinions speak for many in the community.

Alioop would be the best placed to respond to this given that she was present during the appeal (and is a verified expert) but I'll briefly respond in her absence :)

I wasn't present for the appeal and the media only report in snippets so it's difficult to contextualise the defence argument. However I think it's likely that arguing that Allison's death was accidental was a theory that was advanced so as to cast doubt over whether the requisite intent for a murder conviction was present, as opposed to an admission of any kind.

The defence is effectively having a little each way - Should the grounds of appeal that deal with the blood and the dumping of Allison's body fail (if upheld it's almost certain that this would lead either to acquittal or retrial), the defence have conceded that sufficient evidence exists to convict Gerard of killing Allison so they are putting forward a theory to the court which would suggest that one or more reasonable circumstances exist where Allison's death could have been accidental and therefore open the door for a possible downgrade to manslaughter.

In saying this, it is possible that Gerard has made admissions to his legal team sometime after being convicted. The QCA can only take new evidence into account in very limited circumstances and this isn't one of them. The court may only consider new evidence if it wasn't available during the initial trial and if Gerard has made admissions obviously this evidence was available to be adduced at trial however he chose not to. If his defence team did in fact tell the court that he was responsible for her accidental death they would disregard this and reply something along the lines of "tell it to the High Court" (where such evidence may be considered).

Something to also take into account - In the event that Gerard did make admissions of some kind, while his defence team would be able to continue his appeal, the structure of their argument would have differed from what was apparently presented during the appeal. This is due to the narrowing scope of permitted trial conduct when counsel has been informed by the defendant that they are guilty of the allegation/s. Again I have to stress that I wasn't present so I could very well have missed vital "tells" but it's my opinion that it's unlikely that Gerard has confessed to anything. If he was to confess it would have been in his best interests to do so after the appeal was heard as the High Court is the only court with the power to act on such admissions (and even then only in very limited circumstances).

Only the opinion of someone who wasn't present and is not a verified expert on this board. I'm sure Alioop can expand when she is able.

Thanks everyone for the updates. So if GBC goes for the 'I killed her but it was an accident and I panic-ed' does that mean Livvie and Daddy can be charged with purgery?

JCB you have set it all out better than I could.
It's definitely all about intent to kill and the defence appeal case is that hypothetically, even if they had a fight and she ended up dead, it was too big a leap for the jury to find an intent to kill because there was no evidence of intent when the cause of Allison's death is unknown.
I believe this will fail on the basis that the court of appeal will find that it was open to the jury to find there was an intent to kill because of the circumstances in which he disposed of her body with the likelihood he did it to mask a cause of death. Also his conduct after the event is very strong evidence. He did not behave like a man who had accidentally killed his wife, but rather behaved like a someone who had a lot to conceal. The jury also were able to hear him giving evidence and draw their own conclusions about his credibility.

So even if a different jury could have decided there was insufficient evidence of intent to kill, it doesn't matter. All that matters is if it was open to this jury on the evidence to conclude beyond a reasonable doubt in this circumstantial case, that there was intent. And I think the answer to that is a clear yes.

I also don't think he has ever made any admissions to anyone about anything.

Alioop would be the best placed to respond to this given that she was present during the appeal (and is a verified expert) but I'll briefly respond in her absence :)

I wasn't present for the appeal and the media only report in snippets so it's difficult to contextualise the defence argument. However I think it's likely that arguing that Allison's death was accidental was a theory that was advanced so as to cast doubt over whether the requisite intent for a murder conviction was present, as opposed to an admission of any kind.

The defence is effectively having a little each way - Should the grounds of appeal that deal with the blood and the dumping of Allison's body fail (if upheld it's almost certain that this would lead either to acquittal or retrial), the defence have conceded that sufficient evidence exists to convict Gerard of killing Allison so they are putting forward a theory to the court which would suggest that one or more reasonable circumstances exist where Allison's death could have been accidental and therefore open the door for a possible downgrade to manslaughter.

In saying this, it is possible that Gerard has made admissions to his legal team sometime after being convicted. The QCA can only take new evidence into account in very limited circumstances and this isn't one of them. The court may only consider new evidence if it wasn't available during the initial trial and if Gerard has made admissions obviously this evidence was available to be adduced at trial however he chose not to. If his defence team did in fact tell the court that he was responsible for her accidental death they would disregard this and reply something along the lines of "tell it to the High Court" (where such evidence may be considered).

Something to also take into account - In the event that Gerard did make admissions of some kind, while his defence team would be able to continue his appeal, the structure of their argument would have differed from what was apparently presented during the appeal. This is due to the narrowing scope of permitted trial conduct when counsel has been informed by the defendant that they are guilty of the allegation/s. Again I have to stress that I wasn't present so I could very well have missed vital "tells" but it's my opinion that it's unlikely that Gerard has confessed to anything. If he was to confess it would have been in his best interests to do so after the appeal was heard as the High Court is the only court with the power to act on such admissions (and even then only in very limited circumstances).

Only the opinion of someone who wasn't present and is not a verified expert on this board. I'm sure Alioop can expand when she is able.

Thanks everyone for the updates. So if GBC goes for the 'I killed her but it was an accident and I panic-ed' does that mean Livvie and Daddy can be charged with purgery?

Not sure what you mean BN. He has not made any admissions, these are all hypotheticals which may not even represent what actually happened either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305