OH OH - South Euclid, WhtMale 20-30, 484UMOH, 'Don Bosco Tech' TShirt, May'81

Shamrocker99 (and anyone else), what records have been collected on this man? Autopsy, Rangers files, and Euclid? I have contacts at South Euclid and I was told there's definitely no 911, but not finding anything else either. IDK about 20 do years ago but the park is technically within South Euclid.

i got the case file from the rangers...not much in there besides what we already know! I would love to pick the memories of the witnesses though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried New Jersey Yearbook searches for this one? I am not very good at it but there are some others here at WS that are. Maybe we can recruit them.

Sounds like Los Angeles year books should be looked at. He said he was from LA but spent time in NY & NJ

The report contains statements of the people that were with him when he fell. They only met him that day and stated the UID said his name was Joe. He was trying to get back to LA, but didn't have money because he had been robbed a few days before. He said he was from Los Angeles, but had lived in New Jersey for two years and had spent some time in New York. The UID was drinking whiskey when he fell...his blood alcohol was .37--pretty high.

As for his jacket--it is described in the case file as being brown vinyl size medium and made in Hong Kong.

The rangers did some good investigating on this case. The Don Bosco shirt is believed to have come from the Patterson location--they did not have any missing students (that they were aware of) so that lead did not pan out. The UID's fingerprints were not in the system anywhere. In 1991 they reexamined the case and made new inquiries. In 2005 it looks like they tried to get property from the coroner's office to try for DNA, but that seems to have been a bust.
I will let you know if I come across anything else I haven't seen published before. If you have any questions about the case file let me know--not sure what is informational to each person here!

Maybe this has been brought up before; but could other identifiers have been found while testing his property in 2005, not just DNA?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

He said he was from Los Angeles, but had lived in New Jersey for two years and had spent some time in New York.

[edited]

The Don Bosco shirt is believed to have come from the Patterson location--they did not have any missing students (that they were aware of) so that lead did not pan out.

Joe didn't have to be a 'missing student'. If he only lived in NJ for 2 yrs and went to Don Bosco Tech and then moved out of state, he wouldn't be missing.

Would have been nice had the investigators gone to the school and asked if there were any Josephs in the past decade and tried to see if anyone at the school had class photos. Back in the early 80's they could have gotten much more info from schools than they could nowadays.

Updated Namus in the last few days.
Rule out list-
Myron Alberding 1944 New York
Paul Alwardt 1960 Massachusetts
Matt Amon 1951 Idaho
Steven Anderson 1957 New Jersey
Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
David Bacon 1946 New York
Anthony Balthazar 1956 California
Gerald Bartlett 1903 North Dakota
Anthony Bergolio 1958 Alaska
Bruce Boughton 1951 California
Randall Brosius 1954 Pennsylvania
Paul Cappo 1950 Missouri
Glenn Carroll 1952 Nevada
Rogelio Cerda 1959 Texas
Steven Chait 1951 New York
Ronald Chambers 1950 Washington
Robert Christian 1959 Wisconsin
Bobby Clyatt 1942 Florida
Jimmy Collins 1951 Michigan
Harold Covey 1956 Michigan
Elijah Cravens Unknown Oklahoma
Noel Davis Unknown Nevada
John Deeny 1953 Minnesota
Donald Dumas 1944 California
James Egan 1954 Wisconsin
Jose Espinoza 1954 California
Eloy Garcia 1950 California
Vincent Gartner 1956 Washington
Angelo Gatti 1952 California
Michael Gaughan 1957 Texas
John Hale 1950 Ohio
Joseph Halpern 1910 Colorado
JOHN HEFLIN 1944 Mississippi
Paul Hibbard 1951 Wyoming
Daniel Hoffer 1955 California
Gus Hoffman 1958 California
Charles Jones Unknown California
David Jones 1950 Oregon
James Jurica 1948 Michigan
Christopher King 1950 California
Christopher King 1950 California
Ronald Kruska 1960 California
Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
Andy Lepley 1957 Colorado
Christopher Lirette 1949 Alabama
Alvin Matlock 1930 Washington
Harold Mays 1959 North Carolina
MARTIN MILLER 1962 Connecticut
Phillip Montoya 1959 California
Gary Mullinax 1954 Arkansas
Warren Niederfringer 1948 Connecticut
Gerald Orlando 1948 Texas
Frank Passafiume 1948 New York
Jay Pringle 1959 Oregon
Richard Rhyne 1953 Texas
Frank Santmyer, Jr. 1952 Maryland
Vincent Sclafani 1959 California
Randy Sellers 1962 Kentucky
William Sinclair 1948 Minnesota
Farren Stanberry 1961 Oregon
Tom Starkel 1960 California
Ronald Tammen 1933 Ohio
George Tonsgard 1927 Alaska
Amadeo Vigil 1955 Colorado
David Waggoner 1947 Texas
David Watson 1958 Virginia
Harvey Whitacre 1926 New Mexico
George Willison 1952 Florida
Mark Woodard 1955

https://identifyus.org/cases/7980

Rosemead is a suberb of LA and there is a don bosco tech there established 1955. Haven't read entire thread but wanted to put that out there.

Rosemead is a suberb of LA and there is a don bosco tech there established 1955. Haven't read entire thread but wanted to put that out there.

I visited the Rosemead campus and browsed through their yearbooks in the school library

The shirt is not from the Rosemead campus. The ram logo on the tee shirt, and the green & white colors indicate that it is from Don Bosco Technology Academy in Paterson New Jersey.

There was a Don Bosco in Newton NJ. The campus is now Sussex County Community College.

I noticed that the thread says his age was 20-30, but NAMUS says 25-30. Sorry if I missed something in the thread about this- do we know if the lower age could be correct, or was it concluded he was older? (Although I always take the age range with a grain of salt because we've seen some cases where the decedent ends up being outside the range- sometimes significantly).

I think age could be significant in terms of the shirt. If he was younger, like 20, I could see him possibly wearing a shirt from his high school days. If he was older, I lean toward the shirt not being from his high school days. In my mind, he may have passed through NJ at an older age when he obtained the shirt, and could have been from somewhere else entirely when younger. (Someone unfamiliar with the school might, for instance, pick up the shirt at a thrift store thinking "tech" was a college- like Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, etc. I don't know many adult men who would wear a HS shirt unless, as someone previously mentioned, they worked there, coached there, etc.) JMO. I hope my thoughts made sense.

These look like the knockoff Member only jackets that they used to see in like Chinatown and discounted Variety stores and outdoor flea markets in NY.. I know my friend had one that looks just like that but it was blue. It did not have the straps on the collar like the members only jackets it had the same material that was on the cuffs on the collar.. they usually had no name or some obscure brand name from China.

I doubt it's leather. on the left collarbone area you can see a tear in the fabric. I suspect it's nylon. From a distance, at first I thought it might be a Member's Only jacket, but it's not.

Ok this is funny.. the Bosco word on the tshirt is what brought me here today!.. Just a couple of days ago I saw a bottle of BOSCO at the supermarket and bought it and my Husband and I have been making Bosco jokes since then.. He had never heard of Bosco haha!

When I hear "Bosco", I think of the chocolate syrup I used to make chocolate milk when I was a kid. :)

I found this also
A man was pronounced dead approximately four minutes after he fell from a cliff in Euclid, Cuyahoga County, Ohio on May 8, 1981.[86] The exact cause of his death was determined to have been trauma to the chest. The man had been seen alive by a trio of men that stated he had claimed to have traveled to the states of New York, New Jersey, Ohio and California, the latter state he had planned to travel to as soon as he could come upon the means to fund his transportation. They also stated he had used cocaine and alcohol and bore the first name "Joe." His hair and eyes were brown and he was five feet seven inches tall and weighed 146 pounds. His clothing consisted of a jacket, a sweatshirt, a wool sweater, a T-shirt, a hat, a belt, two pairs of socks and a pair of brown boots. His age was believed to be between twenty and thirty and he carried various personal items, including cologne and suntan oil.[87]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._in_the_United_States#Norfolk_County_Jane_Doe484umoh_Reconstruction_002b[1].jpg

I found this originally on the Porchlight page while searching for something else.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/484umoh.html

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on May 8, 1981 in Euclid Creek Reservation, Euclid, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Cause of Death: Chest injuries resulting from fall.

Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 146 lbs.

He was with 3 other people when he fell, he told them that his name was "Joe" and he had spent time in New York and LA.

LA really stands out because he was wearing a "Don Bosco Tech PE" shirt. Don Bosco Tech is just outside LA. I emailed their alumni office tonight with some questions, mainly whether they could tell if that shirt was possibly something that people wore there. Based on his estimated age, I really need to see the Don Bosco Tech yearbooks from say 1971 to 1980. I wonder how I could do that? There is a Facebook alumni group, but I don't want to pester them, yet.

Porchlight has a post-mortem pic, so making the match should be possible from a yearbook. I will link to it if anyone wants, but it's graphic.

I think we have a GREAT chance of solving this one!

https://identifyus.org/cases/7980

the photo reminds me of this guy

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/428dmny.htmlNRoman[1].jpg he was last heard of in May 1981

I found this also
A man was pronounced dead approximately four minutes after he fell from a cliff in Euclid, Cuyahoga County, Ohio on May 8, 1981.[86] The exact cause of his death was determined to have been trauma to the chest. The man had been seen alive by a trio of men that stated he had claimed to have traveled to the states of New York, New Jersey, Ohio and California, the latter state he had planned to travel to as soon as he could come upon the means to fund his transportation. They also stated he had used cocaine and alcohol and bore the first name "Joe." His hair and eyes were brown and he was five feet seven inches tall and weighed 146 pounds. His clothing consisted of a jacket, a sweatshirt, a wool sweater, a T-shirt, a hat, a belt, two pairs of socks and a pair of brown boots. His age was believed to be between twenty and thirty and he carried various personal items, including cologne and suntan oil.[87]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._in_the_United_States#Norfolk_County_Jane_DoeView attachment 111348

Unidentified Person Case
Thumbnail

Unidentified
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP7980 Male, White / Caucasian

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members