ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does IR know GGP? Seems like a strange friendship with the age gap. Why are they friends?

Does anyone know what's the deal with the EMT bag? It was brought up by a lady in the background of the parents interview, but it wasn't addressed. Does anyone know what she's referring to?

This case saddens me, I have a nephew just around his age and it really brings home just how tragically awful this whole thing is. I don't have much hope for little Deorr. :(
I believe GGP and IR met at AA meetings.

How does IR know GGP? Seems like a strange friendship with the age gap. Why are they friends?

Does anyone know what's the deal with the EMT bag? It was brought up by a lady in the background of the parents interview, but it wasn't addressed. Does anyone know what she's referring to?

This case saddens me, I have a nephew just around his age and it really brings home just how tragically awful this whole thing is. I don't have much hope for little Deorr. :(

I don't know whether it was disclosed how IR met GPP. I don't necessarily find the age difference strange, though. I met one of my dearest friends, 40 years my senior, at a church group. I became her Godmother (she was joining the Catholic Church at age 78) and she became my friend and my kids' surrogate grandmother (my own mother lived a thousand miles away). This friend was amazing, energetic ("from hardy stock", she'd say) and really challenged my concept of aging. She's 90 now, I'm 50 and given a foot race, she'd still probably outrun this city gal. We may not have a lot in common in that we're in different stages of our lives (she moved in with her daughter and I'm launching college age kids), but her wisdom and experiences are certainly applicable to the things I'm experiencing now. It's funny when I share an anecdote with her and she says, oh yes, my granddaughter is dealing with that.... Plus we've had years of bonding over chargrilled oysters, New Orleans style. So no, the age difference doesn't automatically raise a red flag with me. (I hope my 24 year old god daughter feels the same way.)

Although the link you provided above dated August 11, 2015 is entitled Mountain Lion Chews off Cayucos Man’s Hand, within that same article is a pretty blatant discrepancy in that it also clearly states:

The San Luis Obispo County Coroner’s Office has not yet determined a cause of death and has scheduled an autopsy for Wednesday. Nevertheless, the coroner’s office does not believe a wild animal killed Weaver.

Since the article title was not consistent with the article content, I did a quick google of the victim's name and found this article dated August 12, 2015:

...An autopsy found that he died of natural causes, according to a news release from the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.

“There is no indication of an animal attack prior to his death,” the Sheriff’s Office said. “Weaver’s body did exhibit animal-related injuries to three fingers on his right hand, but it has been determined those injuries” occurred after his death — and were “caused by a small carrion feeder, possibly a skunk or raccoon, based on the size of the bite marks on the victim’s hand

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/0...cayucos-is-identified.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

I apologize if this has been fully covered; however, do we know if there was anyone else camping at that campsite during the time Deorr disappeared? Or did they have the campsite all to themselves?

7-17-15
Direct Quote
Chris Gallagher:
Yeah, the whole town showed up because there has been no sign of Deorr. His parents now think he was abducted, although the mom and dad acknowledge they didn’t see or hear anyone camping near them but there apparently were others camping in the vicinity. Police won’t say if they’re investigating this abduction theory, but they are now expanding the search in the forest including sending divers back into the Timber Creek Reservoir. Locals also note there are many wild animals in the area, and we just spoke to the local sheriff a short time ago, Gretchen, and he tells us he will have an update on this case sometime today, but he won’t give us any specifics. They don’t want more volunteers out there because it might throw off the scent dogs, but experts say alone, for a week, in that forest – highly unlikely the boy could survive that. Gretchen…
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/1...oddler-who-disappeared-from-idaho-campsite-6/

7-17-15
Direct Quote
In an interview Monday with EastIdahoNews.com, the child's parents said they believe Deorr was abducted, though Mitchell noted they did not see any other campers near their site at the time of his disappearance.

"We didn't see people around us, we didn't hear anybody," Mitchell told the website.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/1...oddler-who-disappeared-from-idaho-campsite-6/

7-20-15
"I don't look at them as suspects at this point in time," the sheriff noted. "They want to believe he's abducted because that would make him still alive."
Bowerman, however, said he's not convinced of an abduction, noting that no other campers were seen or heard in the area at the time of the disappearance. He also described the terrain as "steep and rugged" and said vehicles can reach the site but "the road is extremely rough."
"We don't have any evidence that somebody kidnapped this child," he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/2...den-yield-no-clues-in-hunt-for-idaho-toddler/

7-21-15
But police do not believe the child was abducted, as no other campers were seen in the area at the time he disappeared.

Police have said they ‘don’t have any evidence’ that Deorr was kidnapped.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-not-one-clue-whereabouts.html#ixzz3j1s7L7mk

8-18-15
Direct Quote
4:58
Sheriff Bowerman:
“Ya’ know, personally, I think an abduction is one of the least likely events. Primarily, the information we have is…grandpa is watching the child. He tells me he looks away momentarily. When he looks back, he’s gone, and he’s assumed he’s gone over the bank. Right where grandpa is sitting, he’s within 20-30 yards of the only roadway into the campground, and absolutely no one was seen at that lower campground coming or going, and when my personnel went in, nobody was seen leaving, so I think it, You know, I mean I can’t completely rule it out, but it’s one of the least likely things that occurred.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-h82eVQ1M&list=PLHxHvR1OFyNDkpZrKmKgKJCsujxaoOlUU

I believe GGP and IR met at meetings.

They were neighbors and went to meetings together.

Somebody broke into a truck owned by one of the searchers and stole a bag out of it. Sounds like it was more of a crime of opportunity rather than being in any way tied to Deorr's disappearance.

I know, because if they camped at Timber Creek on Thursday night then there would be two additional witnesses that would place Deorr at the campsite (great-grandpa and IR) and you'd think that would be enough for the sheriff to be 100% sure he was there. If he isn't 100% sure, then he thinks there is a 1% chance that great-grandpa and/or IR is/are lying, OR they didn't camp at Timber Creek on Thursday. I'm thinking it's the latter because he has said that he thinks IR is being honest. If he is referring to the campsite as being Timber Creek campground and that is not where they camped Thursday night, then that might account for the 1% uncertainty of Deorr being there. Maybe great-grandpa and IR did not see him at Timber Creek campground on Friday and thus the 1%. If DK and JM got up and went to the store in the morning alone ("as a family," without great-grandpa and IR) and then they were all to meet back up again at the new campsite (Timber Creek), it is possible that when DK and JM arrived at Timber Creek, IR and great-grandpa could have just assumed Deorr was there even though they didn't actually lay eyes on him (maybe they thought he was asleep in the truck or something, or maybe IR was out fishing)? Just thinking. MOO.

Regarding this 1%, how can we really be sure that the sheriff was being 100% forthright when he made that statement. I mean, it's well known that LE makes statements from time to time that are meant to mislead. Whether it be suspects, POI's, and / or the public. Because they don't want anyone knowing what's going on, on the inside of the investigation. It's theirs.

And because they're surrounded by dangers that they'd never think of in their safe suburban houses. I'll bet it never crossed their mind that there were carnivorous animals down the road, or that the pretty stream with the minnows in it could suck somebody in and not let go. The same as visitors in the national parks don't think that the bears and buffaloes are wild animals, or that the ground is thin around the geysers so they should stay on the paths. Or that they could take a few steps away from the camp and all of a sudden all they can see is sagebrush and trees, and it's hard to even tell which way is uphill.

Yes, excellent point. I'm thinking of the MISSING 411 books now. :scared:

Regarding this 1%, how can we really be sure that the sheriff was being 100% forthright when he made that statement. I mean, it's well known that LE makes statements from time to time that are meant to mislead. Whether it be suspects, POI's, and / or the public. Because they don't want anyone knowing what's going on, on the inside of the investigation. It's theirs.

Maybe the sheriff was being only 99% forthright? :eek:

IMO he doesn't want anyone to know what's going on inside the investigation because there is nothing going on inside their investigation. That might be the reason the PI is apparently backing away or at least not as visible as he was or led everyone to believe he would be. There's just no evidence, no nothing, and there hasn't been anything since DeOrr first went missing.

Which makes me sad. All this time, how could they not have made any progress? I think maybe because he really did vanish and is in the creek, reservoir, or most likely the wilderness waiting to be discovered.

JMO.

<modsnip>

--it appeared to me that he had just woken up , answered the knocking at the door.

--and didn't really want to open the door once he saw a cameraman and a guy with a mic in his hand. it also looked like he was just in his boxers (or briefs!?)

--unfortunate that they weren't able to set up a 'proper' interview w/ him, it would have given us a better read on him.

~http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/family-friend-at-campsite-deorr-kunz-just-disappeared/
--IR interview.

Reinwand hasn&#8217;t spoken publicly about Deorr&#8217;s disappearance until EastIdahoNews.com visited his home Monday morning.

--the article w/ video was updated at 8:30 a.m. Monday, July 27th.

--if it was shot that same day, they must have been knocking at IR's door pretty early in the a.m.

That has now been changed to .... Mountain Lion found chewing on dead mans hand .... police say the animal did not kill him .

Yeah, I read what LE is trying to convince people of. Witnesses who found their friend saw the cougar standing over him. I think the sheriff's most recent call was a raccoon did it. I don't think we've heard the end of this case yet. Really sad in any event.

Yeah, I read what LE is trying to convince people of. Witnesses who found their friend saw the cougar standing over him. I think the sheriff's most recent call was a raccoon did it. I don't think we've heard the end of this case yet. Really sad in any event.

bbm: Do you think that the coroner's office is lying about it? To what end?

bbm: Do you think that the coroner's office is lying about it? To what end?

A more recent report says the coroner is ruling the death to be by natural causes. I don't know what the natural cause was. No, I don't think the coroner's office is lying but it was comments made earlier by the sheriff that friends/witnesses found disingenuous at the time. He was a very beloved man whose mysterious death left many questions.

7-17-15
Direct Quote
Chris Gallagher:
Yeah, the whole town showed up because there has been no sign of Deorr. His parents now think he was abducted, although the mom and dad acknowledge they didn’t see or hear anyone camping near them but there apparently were others camping in the vicinity. Police won’t say if they’re investigating this abduction theory, but they are now expanding the search in the forest including sending divers back into the Timber Creek Reservoir. Locals also note there are many wild animals in the area, and we just spoke to the local sheriff a short time ago, Gretchen, and he tells us he will have an update on this case sometime today, but he won’t give us any specifics. They don’t want more volunteers out there because it might throw off the scent dogs, but experts say alone, for a week, in that forest – highly unlikely the boy could survive that. Gretchen…

7-17-15
Direct Quote
In an interview Monday with EastIdahoNews.com, the child's parents said they believe Deorr was abducted, though Mitchell noted they did not see any other campers near their site at the time of his disappearance.

"We didn't see people around us, we didn't hear anybody," Mitchell told the website.

7-20-15
"I don't look at them as suspects at this point in time," the sheriff noted. "They want to believe he's abducted because that would make him still alive."
Bowerman, however, said he's not convinced of an abduction, noting that no other campers were seen or heard in the area at the time of the disappearance. He also described the terrain as "steep and rugged" and said vehicles can reach the site but "the road is extremely rough."
"We don't have any evidence that somebody kidnapped this child," he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/2...den-yield-no-clues-in-hunt-for-idaho-toddler/

7-21-15
But police do not believe the child was abducted, as no other campers were seen in the area at the time he disappeared.

Police have said they ‘don’t have any evidence’ that Deorr was kidnapped.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-not-one-clue-whereabouts.html#ixzz3j1s7L7mk

8-18-15
Direct Quote
4:58
Sheriff Bowerman:
“Ya’ know, personally, I think an abduction is one of the least likely events. Primarily, the information we have is…grandpa is watching the child. He tells me he looks away momentarily. When he looks back, he’s gone, and he’s assumed he’s gone over the bank. Right where grandpa is sitting, he’s within 20-30 yards of the only roadway into the campground, and absolutely no one was seen at that lower campground coming or going, and when my personnel went in, nobody was seen leaving, so I think it, You know, I mean I can’t completely rule it out, but it’s one of the least likely things that occurred.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-h82eVQ1M&list=PLHxHvR1OFyNDkpZrKmKgKJCsujxaoOlUU

Thank you so much, TxJan71 :).

Yes, excellent point. I'm thinking of the MISSING 411 books now. :scared:

I see there's a forum here at WS for this young man. I only noticed it today as it streamed across the bottom of the page on this forum. Have any posters noticed the similarities in the case of little Deorr's and Joseph Keller's mysterious disappearance? Apparently a mountain lion attack hasn't been ruled out in that case either. Surprisingly, although LE hasn't ruled a mountain lion out in the Keller case, in glancing on the thread here at Websleuths I didn't see any posters mention that possibility.

It's sketchy to me too but I think they have been consistent with their stories.

Some of the inconsistencies stem from people who weren't there.

An inconsistency directly from the parents is the 911 call and the interview (missing for an hour, missing for 20 minutes)

Some of the inconsistencies stem from people who weren't there.

An inconsistency directly from the parents is the 911 call and the interview (missing for an hour, missing for 20 minutes)

That may not be an inconsistency at all. Keep in mind also that both are only approximations made during panic mode. The 20 mins might be how long they believe him to have been missing when they first noted his absence and the one hour might include that 20 mins plus 40 mins of searching time before the 911 call was made. Makes sense, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998