KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

O/T sort of

I just can't get over her salary. $80K a year?

Does that position require a college degree, and if so, why? What responsibilities does it entail that demand advanced learning?

Most important, where can I apply?

I graduated from college Phi Beta Kappa and have never even sniffed an $80K annual salary.

Exactly! I'm sorry, but that's alot of money. With a Master's Degree, I was lucky to be making $40,000/year. Lots of people don't even make that kind of money. What's so special about Kim Davis and typing up certificates to justify that kind of salary???

This has already been done, in a way. The marriage licenses that have been issued while she sits in jail do not have her name or signature on them. Davis, through her attorney, issued a statement that those licenses without her signature or name on them are not worth the paper they are written on. IMO Davis has already proven that the real issue isn't her name/signature on the marriage licenses for same sex couples, it is that they are being allowed to marry at all.

MOO

Do they not still have her name on them as the clerk of the court? I thought they did.

Not that I'm supporting her position. Please don't think that. I think what she's been doing is hateful and vindictive, and my own personal opinion is that it's not about her name on the licenses. I think you're correct in that assessment.

But I also thought that the marriage licenses issued by deputies still had her name on them as the official clerk of the court. I could be wrong. I'd love to know for sure.

Not sure if this helps clarify or not. As Donjeta posted upthread, her lawyers are speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

MOREHEAD, Ky. – An attorney for jailed Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis said Friday that the marriage licenses issued by her deputies to several same-sex couples are invalid.

“They are not worth the paper they’re written on,” Mat Staver said outside the Carter County Detention Center, where Davis is being held on a contempt charge.

Speaking at an afternoon news conference in Grayson, about 35 miles from the Rowan County Courthouse, Staver said: “Our position and the position of the clerk of Rowan County is that those licenses are void.”

The licenses issued to same-sex couples Friday aren’t valid, Staver argued, because they were issued under the county clerk’s authority — but Davis hasn’t granted that authority.

The marriage forms issued Friday did not bear Davis’s name because of her refusal to endorse them. Instead, the clerk’s office included a space for a deputy clerk to sign his or her name.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-licenses-finally-issued-in-kentucky-county/

Do they not still have her name on them as the clerk of the court? I thought they did.

Not that I'm supporting her position. Please don't think that. I think what she's been doing is hateful and vindictive, and my own personal opinion is that it's not about her name on the licenses. I think you're correct in that assessment.

But I also thought that the marriage licenses issued by deputies still had her name on them as the official clerk of the court. I could be wrong. I'd love to know for sure.

Based on Davis own 4th marriage license, yes her name would appear on the license even if she is not the one that actually issued it. The Deputy Clerk who actually issued it is also listed. So then she needs to resign from her $80,000/year position if she refuses to have her name on any marriage licenses for same sex couples. This also means that her blathering from her jail cell to her lawyer to tell the public is wrong.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/Kim+Davis+Marriage+License.JPG

MOO

ETA: By the way, Davis' mother is not the one that issued her 4th marriage license. Deputy Clerk Pam Logan did.

I don't know what's the point anyway....

You think that God is going to punish the clerks in the office that issued marriage licences for godless heathens? But if the clerk's name is not on the actual paper, God won't know who all work there, so it's all good then?

I don't know what's the point anyway....

You think that God is going to punish the clerks in the office that issued marriage licences for godless heathens? But if the clerk's name is not on the actual paper, God won't know who all work there, so it's all good then?

What a complicated world she and her friends live in.

Who claims the couples are godless? Her?

Whose god are they without? Kim Davis's god? Who appointed her the arbiter of who is "godless"?

In her position as County Clerk, she has no right to dictate to others who "god" is, nor does she have any right to dictate who is "godless".

She may fully believe that she's doing her god's work, but her publicly-elected position DOES NOT give her the authority to discriminate against the civil rights of anyone.

Whose god are they without? Kim Davis's god? Who appointed her the arbiter of who is "godless"?

In her position as County Clerk, she has no right to dictate to others who "god" is, nor does she have any right to dictate who is "godless".

She may fully believe that she's doing her god's work, but her publicly-elected position DOES NOT give her the authority to discriminate against the civil rights of anyone.
Its like: my god is bigger and better than your god blah blah blah. ...... give me a break. One of the reasons me and the husband opted for town hall civil ceremony was because we wanted to minimize the religious aspect to our marriage......I wouldn't have been impressed if the clerk behaved above the legal system and imposed her religious beliefs on us.

I don't care about the so-called biblical definition of marriage. Kim Davis doesn't hold a position as a pastor, a minister, or a priest.

She's employed in a secular position as a County Clerk. One of her job requirements is to issue marriage licenses.

Kim Davis's personal beliefs about god, marriage, etc. are completely irrelevant with regard to her job as a County Clerk.

Lindsey Graham, the lone voice of reason* among GOP candidates.

“As a public official, comply with the law or resign,” Graham told clerk Kim Davis […]

“The rule of law is the rule of law,” Graham said. “We are a rule of law nation. And I appreciate her conviction, and I support traditional marriage, but she’s accepted a job where she has to apply the law to everyone and that’s her choice.”

*Never thought I would say such a thing.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/04/the...phobia_took_the_republican_campaign_by_storm/

I don't care about the so-called biblical definition of marriage. Kim Davis doesn't hold a position as a pastor, a minister, or a priest.

She's employed in a secular position as a County Clerk. One of her job requirements is to issue marriage licenses.

Kim Davis's personal beliefs about god, marriage, etc. are completely irrelevant with regard to her job as a County Clerk.

Hear, hear! These posts are excellent- post-of-the-day material!!!:clap::clap::clap::goodpost:

Now a judge in Tennessee is refusing to grant a divorce to a heterosexual couple. I can find absolutely no logic in what these people are doing. I'm glad I don't like in their heads...................

Chancellor Jeffrey M. Atherton says he could not rule on the divorce of a couple in their 60s because “With the U.S. Supreme Court having defined what must be recognized as a marriage, it would appear that Tennessee’s judiciary must now await the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court as to what is not a marriage, or better stated, when a marriage is no longer a marriage.”

Read More at: http://www.fox17.com/news/features/...tes-SCOTUS-Gay-Marriage-Decision-199334.shtml

The lawyer for a Kentucky county clerk who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses said his team filed on Sunday a notice of appeal over a contempt ruling that landed her in jail.

"The contempt order itself was unlawful," Roger Gannam, a lawyer for Davis, told Reuters. Gannam is an attorney with Liberty Counsel, a Florida-based Christian religious advocacy organization that is backing her in the legal fight.

Meanwhile, Davis is waiting for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati, Ohio, to rule on her request to set aside Bunning's ruling in the overall case. In denying the request for a stay on the order, the appeals court said there was little chance she would prevail.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/09/...ing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk3&pLid=-422345415

Now a judge in Tennessee is refusing to grant a divorce to a heterosexual couple. I can find absolutely no logic in what these people are doing. I'm glad I don't like in their heads...................

Chancellor Jeffrey M. Atherton says he could not rule on the divorce of a couple in their 60s because “With the U.S. Supreme Court having defined what must be recognized as a marriage, it would appear that Tennessee’s judiciary must now await the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court as to what is not a marriage, or better stated, when a marriage is no longer a marriage.”

Read More at: http://www.fox17.com/news/features/...tes-SCOTUS-Gay-Marriage-Decision-199334.shtml

http://www.tsc.state.tn.us/courts/circuit-criminal-chancery-courts/judges/jeffrey-m-atherton

Community Involvement

Oakwood Baptist Church Deacon, 20 years Coach of High School Mock Trial, 4 year Coach of High School Girls Soccer, Dixieland Leadership Camp (13 years)

People have lost their minds. I hope they are all reprimanded for the ridiculous waste of time and money.

I just wanted to add to my post above. This poor couple, in their 60's, more than likely going through a very painful time in their lives, is now being made a pawn of a political decision that had nothing to do with the problems in their marriage. I think this judge should be sitting right next to Kim Davis. Shame on both of them!!!!

The lawyer for a Kentucky county clerk who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses said his team filed on Sunday a notice of appeal over a contempt ruling that landed her in jail.

"The contempt order itself was unlawful," Roger Gannam, a lawyer for Davis, told Reuters. Gannam is an attorney with Liberty Counsel, a Florida-based Christian religious advocacy organization that is backing her in the legal fight.

Meanwhile, Davis is waiting for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati, Ohio, to rule on her request to set aside Bunning's ruling in the overall case. In denying the request for a stay on the order, the appeals court said there was little chance she would prevail.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/09/...ing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk3&pLid=-422345415

Is that keeping the Sabbath holy? I thought Sunday was for church not work?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back