DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing any tweets from the courtroom

So that's it until December? Also, is there a recent mug shot of DW? All I keep seeing is that one from 2010.

Chuck Carroll ‏@TheChuckCarroll 2h2 hours ago
Prosecution and defense still investigating DC mansion murders. Not ready to proceed. Daron Wint to return to court Dec. 17. @WNEW

Attorney for Daron Wint requests identity of a witness be revealed. Some questions over identity of driver of the Porsche.

Prosecution believes Daron Wint had accomplices. Said another driver wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with their theory. @WNEW

Prosecution said identity of the witness would be made public if the case moves forward with Daron Wint as only defendant.

Prosecution and defense still investigating DC mansion murders. Not ready to proceed. Daron Wint to return to court Dec. 17. @WNEW

Attorney for Daron Wint requests identity of a witness be revealed. Some questions over identity of driver of the Porsche.

Prosecution believes Daron Wint had accomplices. Said another driver wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent with their theory. @WNEW

Prosecution said identity of the witness would be made public if the case moves forward with Daron Wint as only defendant.

Wow. I remember back at eight weeks when we were speculating that DDW acted alone because no one else had been arrested. Now it has been months and still no more arrests, yet the pros still thinks there were accomplices? I wonder what is taking so long to arrest, or if this is some kind of strategy?

Is the hearing today an opportunity to present a plea bargain? I am wondering if the court has a bias toward working things out before heading to trial as in family law. If that's true, would prosecutors be willing to accept a plea deal in exchange for information about who else might have been involved? Total and complete speculation :)

That would be good if Defense would give up who else is involved in exchange for Life Sentence.

I am surprised that LE was not able to get information from the people that were with him when he was arrested.

I am still not over how quick the other people were let out of custody so fast when he got arrested. I think that was a huge mistake. Surely they could have held them longer for suspicion of murder even if they ended up not having direct involvement. If I remember right I think they were let out by next day.

I know there are rules that you cannot hold someone for too long but surely they could have held onto them longer than they did. Even if they were not directly involved surely they had some information by then. I would think at least 1 or 2 of those people knew something.

And what about the friend in NYC. Surely that person knew something.

Maybe LE has got lots more information than we realize but it doesn't seem that way. I hope LE surprises us and ends up having lots of good evidence and information. I cannot believe just 1 person was involved with this.

O
That would be good if Defense would give up who else is involved in exchange for Life Sentence.

I am surprised that LE was not able to get information from the people that were with him when he was arrested.

I am still not over how quick the other people were let out of custody so fast when he got arrested. I think that was a huge mistake. Surely they could have held them longer for suspicion of murder even if they ended up not having direct involvement. If I remember right I think they were let out by next day.

I know there are rules that you cannot hold someone for too long but surely they could have held onto them longer than they did. Even if they were not directly involved surely they had some information by then. I would think at least 1 or 2 of those people knew something.

And what about the friend in NYC. Surely that person knew something.

Maybe LE has got lots more information than we realize but it doesn't seem that way. I hope LE surprises us and ends up having lots of good evidence and information. I cannot believe just 1 person was involved with this.

IMO if it's a Wint family, friend or gang member there is no way Wint will turn on them. He's already going to jail for life and it'll be even worse for him if he snitches

I don't get it. At today's hearing the main event was prosecution saying they need more time? Losing faith in LE, hoping they surprise.

I don't get it. At today's hearing the main event was prosecution saying they need more time? Losing faith in LE, hoping they surprise.

It was a status hearing, so yes they discuss the status of each sides case, whether there have been any discussion of a plea deal and also any discovery issues etc. LE have a lot of evidence to test for dna so I am not surprised they are still looking for evidence of others involved within the house. jmo

You can't detain anyone just because they have information. You can try to question them but not in custody. Otherwise you subpoena them to testify before a grand jury - that's how you get information. Now I would think that everyone in that caravan was subpoened and subsequently requested and was appointed a 5th Amendment attorney just in case, so whether they have asserted their 5th Amendment rights or not we don't know - and after their assertion was it honored by the prosecution at face value or did they have to go before the Chief Judge to get his ruling on whether they actually had a 5th Am right or not.

Have any of the reporters asked these people if they appeared before the grand jury? They can answer and repeat everything that went on in the grand jury or they can refuse to talk to anyone about it - their choice.

I think I mentioned this before, the govt has 9 months to indict before Wint's release status has to be re-considered. Normally a judge would reconsider bond status at that point & release on PR or place in a half-way house or put under some form of release supervision if the govt still has not indicted. In any event I can't imagine the govt failing to indict within that time frame. If new evidence arises before trial they can go back to the grand jury and get a superseding indictment.

And yes, plea offers and negotiations can go on at any time and aren't always discussed in open court. Although in this type of case most judges will encourage, if not order, that the govt turn over discovery to the defense early, the defense normally doesn't get complete, if any, discovery until the defendant is indicted and arraigned. Certain types of discovery needs to be turned over way ahead in case the defense wants to conduct its own tests & consult its own experts - but again not always. Depends on how much your judge is willing to get involved. Remember this is all SOP for this specific courthouse and this prosecutor's office. Other jurisdictions vary.

Pinning your defense on some stranger who thinks he saw the right car and, even if he did, got a proper and complete look at the driver and then remembered it accurately is a risky proposition. The defendant has no burden to prove anything like where he was during the time of this crime but, even tho they are so instructed not to require it, any jury would naturally want to know where he was during that time if he wasn't at Woodland.

Surviving daughter of DC mansion murders posts tributes to her parents and brother as trial is delayed until December

Katerina Savopoulos, 19, was at school when family were slayed in May

Father Savas, 46, mother Amy, 47, and brother Philip, 10, all died in fire

Their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa, 57, was also killed in 'ransom plot'

Teenager has posted pictures of family on Facebook in wake of tragedy

Comes as defense attorneys for murder suspect Daron Wint ask questions

They want the name of a witness who claims they saw a person with a different apperance running from the family's stolen car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-parents-brother-trial-delayed-December.html

Surviving daughter of DC mansion murders posts tributes to her parents and brother as trial is delayed until December

They want the name of a witness who claims they saw a person with a different apperance running from the family's stolen car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-parents-brother-trial-delayed-December.html

I can never read Daily Mail on my smartphone. It is always overlapped with a screen of bars and I cannot get to the article. Does anybody have a workaround for this?

Using talk to text with lots of grammar errors !

The daughters look very attractive and I'm so glad that neither were home at the time. Because I have a feeling that Wint would have turned this into a sexual torture as well. Jmo

Does anyone know if it's difficult to drive a Porsche if you've never driven one before? I wonder if DW was familiar with handling a Porsche?

Does anyone know if it's difficult to drive a Porsche if you've never driven one before? I wonder if DW was familiar with handling a Porsche?

Well there were plenty of cars on the property that he could choose from. So maybe he did know how to start it and drive it.

IIRC, AS's Porsche was an automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member