FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

California bans captive breeding of SeaWorld killer whales. :loveyou:

"The last-minute amendment would ban breeding of captive orcas, including through artificial insemination, at the California park but not at SeaWorld facilities in other states. It also prohibits the sale, trade or transfer of captive orcas."

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...ng-of-seaworld-killer-whales?CMP=share_btn_tw

YES!

Just saw this on on my FB feed and came here to see if anybody had posted it! Thank you!

On a tenuously related note, Netflix is not only offering BLACKFISH on demand (Good for Netflix!), but another documentary that talks about how the shrinking of Arctic ice, while bad for polar bears, has increased the hunting grounds of orcas. Alas, this does not bode well for belugas and narwals: a polar bear may kill a single beluga whale if it finds a pod's breathing hole, but a group of orcas will kill and eat entire pods of belugas and narwals.

The scientists interviewed didn't think belugas and narwals were in danger of extinction, but the invasion of the killer whales has made safe "nursery" inlets dramatically UNsafe. The scientists believe belugas and narwals may be pushed farther north to whatever remains of Arctic ice. (Orcas can't handle sea ice well because of their huge dorsal fins.)

BTW, despite SeaWorld's repeated claims that orca dorsal fins droop at the same rate in the wild as in captivity, this is the umpteenth documentary I've seen in which NOT A SINGLE wild orca had a drooping dorsal fin. Obviously, this is anecdotal evidence and I haven't done a formal study, but I'm very suspicious of the "at the same rate" claim, since I've never seen a film of orcas in captivity where at least half didn't have drooping dorsals.

'They don't belong in captivity': SeaWorld banned from breeding killer whales in San Diego – but is allowed to double the size of their tanks

Condition made as commission approved $100million tank expansion

Animal rights activists praised Thursday's ruling to stop breeding

SeaWorld said it was disappointed by the decision made at the meeting

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-allowed-double-size-tanks.html#ixzz3oAnm5i1t

They do a lot of good for some animals and they also do horrible things to others.

Rescuing, rehabilitating, and releasing (when possible) injured animals is a great thing. But that does not negate nor excuse what they have done and are continuing to do to Orcas, dolphins, belugas...

I can't do charity work and help some children while I keep other children in my bath tub for 30 years, making them do tricks for cookies and still be a good person.

JMO

(Emphasis added.)

Miss Kim, sometimes I just love the way you talk!

Dr. Ingrid Visser (a marine biologist known for studying killer whales) & John Hargrove (former SeaWorld trainer) got kicked out of SeaWorld. It's too bad because SeaWorld could learn a lot by talking to an actual killer whale researcher who studies them in the wild. The footage Dr. Visser got before being kicked out is very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV2V-4pHuak&feature=youtu.be

http://apmobile.worldnow.com/story/30473748/seaworld-to-end-orca-shows-by-2017-in-san-diego

SeaWorld to end orca shows by 2017 in San Diego

SAN DIEGO (AP) - SeaWorld's orca shows at the company's San Diego park will end by 2017, its top executive said Monday, citing customer feedback at the location that has suffered from its lowest attendance of all its theme parks.

CEO Joel Manby told investors the park will offer a different kind of orca experience, starting in 2017, that will focus on the animal's natural setting and its behaviors.

Finally! I wish it was stopping in 2016, and that other marine parks were following suit. But, at least this is a start.

Three animals have died in three months at SeaWorld San Antonio

Dart was a Pacific white sided dolphin, the kind that’s known for zipping through the water near the bows of ships and performing ocean acrobatics, one of the most active and playful species of an already active and playful animal.

But for the past month, the 12-year-old SeaWorld San Antonio show animal had been ailing. And this weekend, he died, the park said.

Dart was the third mammal to die at the Texas SeaWorld branch in as many months, his death coming fast on the heels of those of Unna, an orca, and Stella, a beluga whale.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...san-antonio/ar-BBpkSKA?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=LENDHP

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaworld-health-of-killer-whale-tilikum-is-deteriorating/

SeaWorld "saddened" by condition of killer whale that drowned trainer

"We are saddened to report that over the past few weeks, Tilikum's behavior has become increasingly lethargic, and the SeaWorld veterinary and animal care teams are concerned that his health is beginning to deteriorate," SeaWorld said on its website.

SeaWorld said Tilikum has a bacterial infection in his lungs, which is very resistant to treatment.

I guess the only way Tilly will ever be free is to die.

That poor whale. I feel so badly for him and all the other animals that SW is holding hostage.

A small step in the right direction...

SeaWorld to end breeding program for killer whales

SeaWorld announced Thursday it will end its killer whale breeding programs and take a "new direction" amid changing social attitudes.

The company said the 24 orcas it currently has in three parks would be SeaWorld's last generation, a long awaited move following intense criticism from animal-rights campaigners over keeping the whales in captivity.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31493762/seaworld-to-end-breeding-program-for-killer-whales

CNN will air Blackfish tomorrow (3/19/2016) at 10pm ET. Blackfish is also on Netflix.

Powerful documentary. I've seen it several times already. They need to do right by these animals and offer lifetime ocean sanctuaries. What's been done is atrocious and I firmly believe they would neglect the animals and let them die before they would do the responsible and ethical thing and all because it costs money. Never mind the money they've already made exploiting these poor souls. smh...

The more I dwell on this, the more upset I become. Tilikum had been sick since last March at least. Why was he kept alive and probably in pain for so long? He surely didn't have any quality of life.

Sea World (and the like) absolutely disgusts me.

Those bastards kept him alive for his sperm. That's how he made them so much money.

I am heartbroken for Tili and all who actually loved and respected him as the magnificent animal he was.

Swim pain free now Tili, may your afterlife be filled with endless seas and a true pod.

Why in the world do you keep this gorgeous whale in captivity??? RIP

Powerful documentary. I've seen it several times already. They need to do right by these animals and offer lifetime ocean sanctuaries. What's been done is atrocious and I firmly believe they would neglect the animals and let them die before they would do the responsible and ethical thing and all because it costs money. Never mind the money they've already made exploiting these poor souls. smh...

RSBM

It's troubling (re. the 'Blackfish' Doc.) that the whales are harassed and their calves kidnapped while in the wild.
Unethical.
And how much of the torment (again regarding the documentary) did the whale trainers like Ms. Brancheau allegedly engage in ?
Not saying she did harm the whale Tilikum ...but what if his attack was some form of revenge ?
He was obviously much like a dog that is teased/bullied until it snaps.
Re-watched the doc a while back and it's thought-provoking and scientifically sound.
RIP, Tilikum !!
:moo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa