SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the cop you don't like like or is it the someone telling someone what to do and when to do it? I do wonder at what point is it ok to eject a defiant juvenile from a chair after three attempts?

It's mostly the assault I don't care for.

This student had just defied the authority of the teacher, school administrater and a police officer. She was asked to do something and she refused. Repeatedly.
I guess the new way of the world is just to say, Oh well, she doesn't want to. She had options. She made choices. If this was my child, she would have hell to pay for this, probably be on restriction till she graduated, no cell phone, no computer. Not hooking up with an attorney, looking to make money off doing wrong.

On the local news here, even other students said that she was in the wrong, and that the officer was a nice guy.

If the officer was charged and went to court, and I was on the jury, I would find him not guilty.
All MOO

BBM

An elementary school where he is also assigned gave him a "Culture of Excellence Award" last year.

Why wouldn't we have background on her? This is 21st century America and we love to dig up the dirt on people. Just have a look around this website. We're constantly searching and sleuthing and digging.

So nine-year-olds deserve respect and safety, but 16-year-old orphans do not. :facepalm:

I thought she was in foster care? Now she is a orphan? Gee that happened fast, did her foster parents kick her out?

or·phan
ˈôrfən
noun
a child whose parents are dead.

I find it interesting that the children protesting and walking out in support of the RO are in violation of school policy.
I wonder if they should be thrown around too?

I, ve been reading off and on here, just wanted to say in case your not aware, she is not an orphan. Her mother and grandmother are alive.

~http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2015/10/spring_valley_high_student.html

My point is by the time they are in college they shouldn't be told when to take a potty break. If they are abusing the break you would fire them in the real world right?

I think we're beating a dead horse by now, but you are choosing to phrase the situation in a way that suits your philosophical point of view. And I'm telling you I've done it both ways: the laissez-faire way ("You snooze, you lose.") and the more traditional ("This is a group endeavor to prepare you for an ensemble art form and you and I, as student and instructor, agree to collaborate on the learning process, following the same guidelines.").

And the difference in student learning and retention was quite dramatic. (And BTW, I had some of the highest student evaluations in the department, despite teaching classes that 18-year-olds who really just wanted a part in a sitcom didn't think they needed.)

And, yes, I used the potty (ate breakfast, drank coffee) every morning just before class. It really wasn't so difficult and I never had a problem making it to the break.

Bottom line: I'm not a fan of authoritarianism and I suspect you and I agree on more than we disagree. But we all know by now that the brains of 18-year-olds are still developing with regards to evaluating consequences. I see nothing to be gained by letting them flunk out of college while their minds are still developing.

And nothing in my remarks is intended to defend the conduct of the officer in this case. We started out with your insistence that reading texts (which inevitably leads to more texting) isn't disruptive in class. I'm sorry, but it is.

BTW does being an orphan or being in foster care all of the sudden make it OK for wrong doing?

I thought she was in foster care? Now she is a orphan? Gee that happened fast, did her foster parents kick her out?

I don't know exactly what all the details are, except it's very clear she's in foster care and her foster mom is working hard to keep her out of the media limelight, which is smart and in this day and age, a little unexpected. Thank goodness for sanity!

She may have been in foster care all her life, and may never have lived with her mom, or she may have been put in foster care as a direct result of her mother who was her sole caregiver passing away. At any rate, it does go a little way in explaining why she didn't comply with the requests of the teacher and admin and the RO. She's in crisis.

I, ve been reading off and on here, just wanted to say in case your not aware, she is not an orphan. Her mother and grandmother are alive.

What a relief!! That's excellent news. Thank you.

I find it interesting that the children protesting and walking out in support of the RO are in violation of school policy.
I wonder if they should be thrown around too?

Maybe they know they're safe. ;)

So we send the message to students that "you can get away with whatever you want, talk in class, use your phone, sleep...." What about the kid who wants to bring drugs or guns to school?

There are limits, rules, laws, and boundaries in life to protect the population. She needs to learn this quick.
This girl has issues and if she continues on the path she was displaying she will end up in jail, IMO. Was it a cry for help and attention? Maybe she will get it in time to save whatever is wrong with her and actually mature in to a valuable member of society. She is a bad influence on her friends, family, siblings, and peers.

There are so many ways in life to push the boundaries and limits without breaking laws and hurting others.
I homebirth, alone. Lots of people do not approve-lots of debate, but it is legal. ( i have 7 children the youngest is now 16)
I bought a harley, my kids think I am crazy.
I do lots of crazy, daring, artistic, expressive things. I think it is healthy for me. I stay within the law! I take advantage of my freedoms- like driving 2000 miles to see the buffalo or a mountain.

I don't know exactly what all the details are, except it's very clear she's in foster care and her foster mom is working hard to keep her out of the media limelight, which is smart and in this day and age, a little unexpected. Thank goodness for sanity!

She may have been in foster care all her life, and may never have lived with her mom, or she may have been put in foster care as a direct result of her mother who was her sole caregiver passing away. At any rate, it does go a little way in explaining why she didn't comply with the requests of the teacher and admin and the RO. She's in crisis.

So how does some one like that have a cell phone? Someone help me to understand this.

I think we're beating a dead horse by now, but you are choosing to phrase the situation in a way that suits your philosophical point of view. And I'm telling you I've done it both ways: the laissez-faire way ("You snooze, you lose.") and the more traditional ("This is a group endeavor to prepare you for an ensemble art form and you and I, as student and instructor, agree to collaborate on the learning process, following the same guidelines.").

And the difference in student learning and retention was quite dramatic. (And BTW, I had some of the highest student evaluations in the department, despite teaching classes that 18-year-olds who really just wanted a part in a sitcom didn't think they needed.)

And, yes, I used the potty (ate breakfast, drank coffee) every morning just before class. It really wasn't so difficult and I never had a problem making it to the break.

Bottom line: I'm not a fan of authoritarianism and I suspect you and I agree on more than we disagree. But we all know by now that the brains of 18-year-olds are still developing with regards to evaluating consequences. I see nothing to be gained by letting them flunk out of college while their minds are still developing.

And nothing in my remarks is intended to defend the conduct of the officer in this case. We started out with your insistence that reading texts (which inevitably leads to more texting) isn't disruptive in class. I'm sorry, but it is.

I agree. like you said we actually agree on a lot of stuff. I just personally would not like to be told when I can and can not leave a room where I am in fact paying to be there and can't relate since my uni didn't have any sort of restrictions.
But like you said we have gone around and around about this and pretty much said all there is to say.

Thank you for the correctly the earlier reports.
I hope whatever the circumstances are of her home life that she is getting the help that all children deserve whether that help requires her to be in foster care or not.

I agree. like you said we actually agree on a lot of stuff. I just personally would not like to be told when I can and can not leave a room where I am in fact paying to be there and can't relate since my uni didn't have any sort of restrictions.
But like you said we have gone around and around about this and pretty much said all there is to say.

bbm Link to her paying to be there, TIA

No, it’s not like that. A student checking her cell phone in class is not equal to a cop brutally assaulting the girl for it. Thats like the old blame the rape victim game. Hey we can agree that the rapist is a bad guy, but can’t we also agree that the victim provoked the attack? No, we can’t.

What the cop did was way out of line. It was assault, for which he should be charged, and it was a violation of the girl’s civil rights, for which the school system will pay a lot of money. All the girl did was violate a school rule, which should have been handled in a non-violent way by school authorities, probably with after school detention.

Violating the constitution is not equal to violating a school rule.

KaaBoom, you sum it up better than anything I've heard or seen.

So we send the message to students that "you can get away with whatever you want, talk in class, use your phone, sleep...." What about the kid who wants to bring drugs or guns to school?

There are limits, rules, laws, and boundaries in life to protect the population. She needs to learn this quick.
This girl has issues and if she continues on the path she was displaying she will end up in jail, IMO. Was it a cry for help and attention? Maybe she will get it in time to save whatever is wrong with her and actually mature in to a valuable member of society. She is a bad influence on her friends, family, siblings, and peers.

There are so many ways in life to push the boundaries and limits without breaking laws and hurting others.
I homebirth, alone. Lots of people do not approve-lots of debate, but it is legal. ( i have 7 children the youngest is now 16)
I bought a harley, my kids think I am crazy.
I do lots of crazy, daring, artistic, expressive things. I think it is healthy for me. I stay within the law! I take advantage of my freedoms- like driving 2000 miles to see the buffalo or a mountain.

Believe it or not there are ways to let kids know misbehaving in class isn't okay without assaulting them. Crazy, I know, but teachers do it every day.

So how does some one like that have a cell phone? Someone help me to understand this.

Because teenagers have cell phones. Why wouldn't she have one?? Maybe she has a job and pays for it herself. Maybe her foster parents want to be able to get in touch with her at all times. <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member