GA GA - Gloria Baird, 23, Atlanta, Dec 1969

It was brought to my attention that I accidentally put the name Jimmy Goodman and then listed the aforementioned criminal history. I meant to type, Johnny Clyde Goodman.

Name : Gloria Jean Baird
Aliases : Gloria J. Siegel, Gloria J. Goodman, Buggles, Peanut, G.J.
Birth Date : 11/26/46
Place of Birth: Toledo, OH
Description : 5’3, 107 lbs, blue eyes, light brown hair
(according to 1969 Army application)

Education

1957 – Lady Field Elementary – Toledo, OH
1957 – 1962 – Brunswick Elementary, Brunswick, GA
1962 – 1964 – Brunswick Junior High School, Brunswick, GA
1964 – 1966 – Glynn Academy, Brunswick, GA

06/04/66 – Gloria marries Martin Siegel
Fall 1967 – Gloria leaves Martin and moves to New Orleans; Leaves me behind
01/25/68 – Gloria writes Martin and asks for divorce from New Orleans

Letter sent from:

930 Jackson Avenue, Apt. #3
New Orleans, LA

11/15/68 - Martin and Gloria officially divorce

Prior to 02/04/69 - Gloria writes letter to Martin from Prichard, AL stating that she’s dating individual named: Jimmy Weaver.

Letter sent from:

413 Craftmore Drive
Prichard, AL

02/04/69 – Gloria marries Johnny Clyde Goodman
*Stats: - DOB - 01/20/51; Death - 02/11/00
- Description 5’9, 166 lbs, Blue Eyes, Brown Hair
- Tattoo on medium forearm (left)
- Tattoo on medium forearm (right)

02/14/69 – Petition for Divorce drafted by attorney named Walter M. Henritze, Jr.
** 04/01/69 - Petition signed by Gloria B. Goodman

Divorce Petition States (in part)

[Plaintiff] separated from Defendant [Johnny Clyde Goodman] because of Defendant’s cruel treatment of petitioner….

That Defendant is guilty of willful, cruel treatment as defined by the code of Georgia….

That the acts of cruel treatment, and each of them, inflicted upon petitioner were calculated to cause and, in a matter of fact, did cause petitioner much pain and suffering; that she is in a highly agitated, nervous condition as a result of said cruel treatment; and that petitioner’s health has suffered serious and permanent impairment because of the said treatment upon petitioner by the defendant.

Address in this record:

Gloria B. Goodman
1231 Druid Place
Atlanta, GA

Johnny Clyde Goodman
1368 Mercer
East Point, GA

08/20/69 – Gloria enters Army as Gloria Goodman; Entry: Atlanta, GA
**Assigned to Ft. McClellan, AL
**Military record states that she was also assigned to Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN
**Military record states that Gloria’s service was from 08/20/69 through 05/02/83
**Military record states “Discharged” under status.

12/31/69 – Allegedly last seen at a party in Atlanta, GA

01/13/70 – Army notifies parents that Gloria’s “absent without authority” since 01/04/70

02/02/70 – Gloria dropped from “the rolls of the unit as a deserter”.

02/06/70 – Gloria’s parents notify Army that she was supposed to show for Christmas (1969) and never did.

09/30/82 – The Army notifies Gloria, through her parents, that on 09/30/82, she was eligible for discharge from service with the US Army. The discharge would be under “other than honorable conditions” and that she could provide a statement in her defense if she wished.

05/02/83 – Discharge in Absentia letter mailed to Gloria’s parents along with a Discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions document.

Jimmy Clyde Goodman Research – Info obtained through Internet and court records

Undated – Criminal Attempted Rape
**5 year sentence; No case number
**Georgia Department of Corrections

Undated – Bigamy, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part) & Escape
**Case No. 75597; Cobb County

Undated – Escape, Bad Checks, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part)
**Case No. 122232; Cobb County & Gilmer County

12/16/69 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**07/24/71: Incarceration ends; No case number

11/28/82 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**11/28/82 – Incarceration ends; No case number

12/02/82 – DUI & Driving with suspended license

05/11/83 – Theft by Deception

10/18/83 – Sexual Battery/Physical Force
**Sentenced on 01/25/84 (probation/parole) & 11/24/87 (2 years)
**Florida Department of Corrections – Hillsborough County

02/06/85 – Violated Motor Vehicle Laws, Driving Habitual Violator (Fulton County)
**Case No. 179897; Fulton County

05/09/85 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**12/12/85 – Incarceration ends; No case number

04/16/87 – Driving Habitual Violator
**Case No. 282876; Cobb County
**Court records report that his driver’s license had been revoked as of 05/12/83; Warrant issued for his arrest on this date

12/15/88 – Pled guilty to DUI, Habitual Violator, Improper Lane Change
**Sentenced to 12 months prison, 5 years probation, fined $2050 @ $10/month & no alcohol. On 06/18/91, a Petition for Revocation of Probation was filed.
**Pardoned on 11/01/91

04/14/93 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced to 6 months in jail on 08/23/93

06/11/93 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 08/23/93 (see above)

09/29/94 – Theft of Service; Sentenced on 10/02/97; 30 days in Jail; 11 months probation

11/23/94 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 02/03/95 to 60 days in Jail; 10 months probation

09/30/97 – Theft by Taking; Sentence unknown

03/22/99 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced on 06/22/99

DEATH: 02/11/00 – BELIEVED TO BE BURIED IN MARIETTA, GA

The information above pertains to Johnny Goodman, and not his brother Jimmy Goodman. It was just brought to my attention that I mde this error. Thanks.

Here are two photos of Gloria from the 1964 Glynn Academy (Brunswick GA) yearbook.

2383499480045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2540265440045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Boy, I really want to find someone who went to Glynn Academy, Brunswick. Is this a really big school?

The reason I ask is that obviously Gloria went there. But there is an UID male case in Atlantic City, I believe, where the UID is wearing a ring from Glynn Academy, Brunswick. What are the chances of that? I think the years on the ring were something like 1888-1974, suggesting he was a 1974 graduate. So a little younger than Gloria, but still. Sure would be interesting to find a family of siblings who went to that school in the years around 1964-1974 and see if they could give us any insights into these missing folks!

Have there been any updates to this case? I only ask because I briefly lived very close to the area where the UID were found in Henry County and have long been curious about is they were ever ID'd.

Stephanie - Do you have any updates? I just found this thread and was interested because I am a Georgia native. I lived in Atlanta for a long time and my husband was born in East Point. We went to Jekyll Island every year for vacation. I even had a Dr. Joseph Baird when I lived in Atlanta, but he was a shrink :crazy:

Your case touched my heart and I hope you can find more info about your mother!

Hello Maxine2U,

This is Stephanie. Gloria Jean's daughter. I have been absent from this group for quite a while. I apologize. I started answering your question by saying that I did not have any new information, but as I wrote, I was reminded that I do actually have some. The information isn't anything of great use; but, interesting nonetheless.

Someone reached out to me from Glynn Academy. She was a former classmate of Gloria's. Apparently Gloria didn't have the best reputation in school. The classmate who reached out did not know her, but knew of her reputation. There was one day though that she actually spoke to Gloria, and learned that she had misjudged her. She apologized to me for having had those feelings about Gloria, before she got to know her back then (mid 1960's). Apparently her niece (yes, they all went to school at the same time) was dating this gentleman AFTER the gentleman broke up with Gloria. Shortly after he and her niece started dating, be broke up with her, in order to date Gloria again. He denies that they ever dated, and claimed they were just good friends. He turned me onto a woman he claimed was Gloria Jean's best friend in high school. If anyone is going to know anything, it's her, he said. I found this woman on Facebook. She did not write back right away, and seemed a bit off after I wrote her a second time. She said she was going through a divorce, but would help. I never heard from her again..... *sigh* Jeckyl Island and Brunswick, GA are really small areas. Those in the South also tend to keep their closet doors closed, so to speak.

I would love to locate the individuals that Gloria reported to have known, or even loved (Toney Adams). I think Toney's mother was Ruth Adams, which is a woman she lived with before she went into the military. It's been some time, but I think I found that Ruth passed away a while ago. No databases are helpful due to the age of the case. I need to find out to whom Johnny Clyde Goodman was previously married.

My grandmother (Gloria's mother) died last September. I stopped searching after her death. I wasn't sure I would pick it up again. She and I did not spend our lives together. I had just started spending quality time with her a couple of years before she died, and even those meetings were short. I had no idea, but she wanted to know everything about this case. We talked about it for hours. I told her about all of the help this community and others had provided. She was happy to know this. She had no idea. There is a family dynamic that stopped her from knowing things. I don't need to get into that here, but needless to say, by the end, she knew every piece. We cried together, we laughed together. It was a beautiful thing. Her last words on the topic were that perhaps it was time to stop, and to move forward. She said this in the kindest, sweetest way. To me, that meant that she could move forward. She died shortly after this conversation.

I wasn't planning on writing all of that; but, there you go.

It has been a year now, and people are starting to reach out to me again through Facebook and beyond. So, I'm compiling a new set of notes for a writer/researcher. When I can, I will be sending requests for information off to Georgia. I want to get the name of Johnny Clyde Goodman's former wife. They were probably married in Atlanta, since his whole family was there, and they didn't have the means for many things. I want to find the people that she claimed to know (a list is included in this thread).

Gloria's sister has a debilitating medical condition right now. I haven't been able to talk to her about this case in many years. Maxine, I am envious of you. I would love nothing more than to walk around East Point where she used to live. I want to go to the library and look up any stories I could find about Johnny Clyde Goodman. He had quite the rap sheet. Would there be any old phone book records of any of the names of the people she claimed to know? Not sure what that would do actually. Maybe it would lead me to an address or two. If nothing else, there is definitely a story here. Gloria might even be alive for all I know..... I can be reached through Facebook, which I check regularly. I created a group too called Where Is Gloria Jean. My personal e-mail is islandersteph@gmail.com. I don't think I've ever seen a notice that someone added a comment to this group. I'm sure there's a way to make that happen.

I am carrying this information below forward...I hope that is okay :/
I kept having to go back and find it while attempting to research :)
So, I found the record on Ancestry that applies to a few charges for Johnny Clyde Goodman (photo attached). It is hard to see but on the far right is the date 12/1/69. It appears that this case# 75597 (the one I bolded below) but rather than Bigamy it is Burglary. So I am wondering if there is something else stating any Bigamy?

image.jpg
Name : Gloria Jean Baird
Aliases : Gloria J. Siegel, Gloria J. Goodman, Buggles, Peanut, G.J.
Birth Date : 11/26/46
Place of Birth: Toledo, OH
Description : 5’3, 107 lbs, blue eyes, light brown hair
(according to 1969 Army application)

Education

1957 – Lady Field Elementary – Toledo, OH
1957 – 1962 – Brunswick Elementary, Brunswick, GA
1962 – 1964 – Brunswick Junior High School, Brunswick, GA
1964 – 1966 – Glynn Academy, Brunswick, GA

06/04/66 – Gloria marries Martin Siegel
Fall 1967 – Gloria leaves Martin and moves to New Orleans; Leaves me behind
01/25/68 – Gloria writes Martin and asks for divorce from New Orleans

Letter sent from:

930 Jackson Avenue, Apt. #3
New Orleans, LA

11/15/68 - Martin and Gloria officially divorce

Prior to 02/04/69 - Gloria writes letter to Martin from Prichard, AL stating that she’s dating individual named: Jimmy Weaver.

Letter sent from:

413 Craftmore Drive
Prichard, AL

02/04/69 – Gloria marries Johnny Clyde Goodman
*Stats: - DOB - 01/20/51; Death - 02/11/00
- Description 5’9, 166 lbs, Blue Eyes, Brown Hair
- Tattoo on medium forearm (left)
- Tattoo on medium forearm (right)

02/14/69 – Petition for Divorce drafted by attorney named Walter M. Henritze, Jr.
** 04/01/69 - Petition signed by Gloria B. Goodman

Divorce Petition States (in part)

[Plaintiff] separated from Defendant [Johnny Clyde Goodman] because of Defendant’s cruel treatment of petitioner….

That Defendant is guilty of willful, cruel treatment as defined by the code of Georgia….

That the acts of cruel treatment, and each of them, inflicted upon petitioner were calculated to cause and, in a matter of fact, did cause petitioner much pain and suffering; that she is in a highly agitated, nervous condition as a result of said cruel treatment; and that petitioner’s health has suffered serious and permanent impairment because of the said treatment upon petitioner by the defendant.

Address in this record:

Gloria B. Goodman
1231 Druid Place
Atlanta, GA

Johnny Clyde Goodman
1368 Mercer
East Point, GA

08/20/69 – Gloria enters Army as Gloria Goodman; Entry: Atlanta, GA
**Assigned to Ft. McClellan, AL
**Military record states that she was also assigned to Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN
**Military record states that Gloria’s service was from 08/20/69 through 05/02/83
**Military record states “Discharged” under status.

12/31/69 – Allegedly last seen at a party in Atlanta, GA

01/13/70 – Army notifies parents that Gloria’s “absent without authority” since 01/04/70

02/02/70 – Gloria dropped from “the rolls of the unit as a deserter”.

02/06/70 – Gloria’s parents notify Army that she was supposed to show for Christmas (1969) and never did.

09/30/82 – The Army notifies Gloria, through her parents, that on 09/30/82, she was eligible for discharge from service with the US Army. The discharge would be under “other than honorable conditions” and that she could provide a statement in her defense if she wished.

05/02/83 – Discharge in Absentia letter mailed to Gloria’s parents along with a Discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions document.

Jimmy Clyde Goodman Research – Info obtained through Internet and court records

Undated – Criminal Attempted Rape
**5 year sentence; No case number

Undated – Bigamy, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part) & Escape
**Case No. 75597; Cobb County

Undated – Escape, Bad Checks, Theft of Motor Vehicle (or part)
**Case No. 122232; Cobb County & Gilmer County

11/28/82 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**11/28/82 – Incarceration ends; No case number

12/02/82 – DUI & Driving with suspended license

05/11/83 – Theft by Deception

10/18/83 – Sexual Battery/Physical Force
**Sentenced on 01/25/84 (probation/parole) & 11/24/87 (2 years)
**Florida Department of Corrections – Hillsborough County

02/06/85 – Violated Motor Vehicle Laws, Driving Habitual Violator (Fulton County)
**Case No. 179897; Fulton County

05/09/85 – Incarceration Began – Reason Unknown
**12/12/85 – Incarceration ends; No case number

04/16/87 – Driving Habitual Violator
**Case No. 282876; Cobb County
**Court records report that his driver’s license had been revoked as of 05/12/83; Warrant issued for his arrest on this date

12/15/88 – Pled guilty to DUI, Habitual Violator, Improper Lane Change
**Sentenced to 12 months prison, 5 years probation, fined $2050 @ $10/month & no alcohol. On 06/18/91, a Petition for Revocation of Probation was filed.
**Pardoned on 11/01/91

04/14/93 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced to 6 months in jail on 08/23/93

06/11/93 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 08/23/93 (see above)

09/29/94 – Theft of Service; Sentenced on 10/02/97; 30 days in Jail; 11 months probation

11/23/94 – Theft by Taking; Sentenced on 02/03/95 to 60 days in Jail; 10 months probation

09/30/97 – Theft by Taking; Sentence unknown

03/22/99 – Criminal Trespass; Sentenced on 06/22/99

DEATH: 02/11/00 – BELIEVED TO BE BURIED IN MARIETTA, GA

Thanks LotsaLatte!

I created that list years ago, and just kept pasting it to everything. I remember there being some confusion now. Thank you for confirming. The Burglary is probably the Theft of Motor Vehicle. Since I created that list, I received an official document from the Georgia Department of Corrections concerning the Bigamy charge. The date is December 16, 1969. This is around the time that it is alleged she was last seen at a party. I don't have the exact date of the party, just that it was around Christmas. The document says "Major Offense: Bigamy." Not sure if that means that there were other offenses too that are not included. He was sent to the Arrendale State Prison. I'm not sure what this means. He might have been released on September 1, 1971. The document reads "Subject sentence expired on 07/24/71. Then it reads, "maximum release date 09/01/72." I'm guessing that he was released early.

AHA!! In my list, I have the following:

Looks like I need to clean up my list.

I also spoke with Johnny's brother Jimmy a few years ago. He remembers Johnny being arrested for Bigamy, and thought that he was also picked up that day for being AWOL. Can I get AWOL information from the military. More specifically, can I contact the military archives and get information about someone's arrest for AWOL? I would think so. I've never considered that before.

So, I am wondering if he was married again AFTER he was already married to Gloria (rather than before)? I also saw that his Social Security number was issued in Arkansas in 1966. So he would have been around 15 then. I am not sure about obtaining military arrest info. I will keep looking for info :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 16
When I spoke to his brother Jimmy, he mentioned that Johnny was married before he married Gloria. The entire family settled in Georgia it seems. I'm going to see if I cannot find Johnny's marriage information again through the State. A librarian over in Georgia helped me in the past, and she didn't find anything. Looks like I need to renew my Ancestry account.

Must turn over every stone, or at least look under each one again and again in case you missed something. That should be my tagline.

I have been searching Ancestry and haven't found a marriage record yet :( Pretty frustrating...sigh. I will keep looking as I get time here and there. I cannot even find Johnny's grave so I am wondering if he was cremated maybe? And do you feel confident that whoever stated they saw Gloria last is sure or being truthful? I clicked on this case because I am from the "Baird Clan" but haven't looked to see if and/or how we are related. It just caught my eye when I saw the name :)

Thank you so much for checking. Hm, I wonder if he was married outside of Georgia. Seems unlikely though. He did not have a lot of money. I bet they cremated him. He died alone with a few cents in his pocket. He was out in the woods somewhere. His brother didn't tell me how they disposed the body. There was a funeral. I know that much. I'll have to try to find the name of the place again where his service was held and give them a call. My time has been so wrapped up in work this week, and will be until after Thanksgiving.

To answer your question: No, I do not feel confident that the person who mentioned she was last seen at a party was being truthful.... If they think they were being truthful, I question the month that she said she last saw Gloria. It could all be true, but dates are not adding up to me. I think that the person who provided that testimony to whomever was likely young, and at her mother's home, Johnny Clyde's mother's home. The mother, Hazel, was having a party. Apparently she was a bit of a drinker. According to Johnny's brother Jimmy, before she died a few years ago, Hazel recounted a story to Jimmy after he told her about my inquiry into Johnny. Apparently she said that Gloria showed up at her house with three men. This made her very angry. She asked Gloria, are you going to tell Johnny, or am I? Gloria said that she would tell Johnny, and left the premises. She could have been having a party, or the girl (Hazel's daughter) remembered the gathering to be a "party."

You see, the story goes like this, Gloria Jean was last seen at a party with three men. Her car was later found. One side of the family says the car was found in Georgia. Another side of the family is adamant that the car was found in Florida. The person who would know died years ago. He, my grandfather, never spoke about Gloria to me when he was alive. That's a long story. We hold onto stories that form in our minds that make sense to us. The story doesn't need to be true, just understandable in order for us to move forward. I wonder if the story of the party just made sense at the time; so, everyone went with it. Who knows. :scared::tantrum:

I'm opening my mind to various possibilities. I've always stuck to what people have told me, and trusted them to be right. I never questioned the timing; but, now I'm wondering if the party was before December, and maybe she wasn't in Georgia at all. Talk about frustrating. Years ago, someone wrote me and claimed that they might have seen her on a bus in Florida. This person they remembered spoke to him and said that she felt sad after leaving her child somewhere. He thought there was a resemblance between the person he saw over 40 years ago, and Gloria's photo. I thought to myself, that's quite a memory you have there, and didn't really take it too seriously. The conversation stuck in my head though, obviously.

Jimmy refused to provide me any information about Johnny's previous wife, and hung up on me when I asked. So, that's where I am with that. Sigh.

You are part of the Baird clan? Really? You can contact me personally if you wish at islandersteph@gmail.com. I have done some genealogy if you're interested. With a tag name 'LotsaLatte,' it would make sense to me if we were related. :)

I have been searching Ancestry and haven't found a marriage record yet :( Pretty frustrating...sigh. I will keep looking as I get time here and there. I cannot even find Johnny's grave so I am wondering if he was cremated maybe? And do you feel confident that whoever stated they saw Gloria last is sure or being truthful? I clicked on this case because I am from the "Baird Clan" but haven't looked to see if and/or how we are related. It just caught my eye when I saw the name :)

Johnny was born in 1951. He was 18 in 1969. Gloria was born in 1946. She was 23.

Yeah, he was 15 when he got his Social Security Card.

So, I am wondering if he was married again AFTER he was already married to Gloria (rather than before)? I also saw that his Social Security number was issued in Arkansas in 1966. So he would have been around 15 then. I am not sure about obtaining military arrest info. I will keep looking for info :)

This is a picture of Gloria's mother and sister. Her mother passed away last September. While there is a possibility that something dreadful happened to Gloria, there is also the possibility that she is alive. Without proof, I cannot shut the door. Mimi & Sandy.jpg

I haven't had a lot of time to do much more research but I did try to find Johnny's marriage info outside of Georgia and came up with nothing. Not to say it's not there, I just didn't see anything that jumped out at me using his name in searching. However, I think he could have gotten married in any state if he was in the military. But do we even know when he enlisted? I am trying to search unidentifieds that might be Gloria but nothing yet. She may very well be alive. I sometimes wonder when I see older homeless people, who they are and if someone is missing them. And sevins, yes! We should compare our Baird families...I have back to mid 1600s, I believe.
Anyway, just checking in while I had a second :)

He was enlisted at the Army station base in East Point, GA. I believe that would be Fort McPherson. I haven't pulled anything from the military archives about him. I used to look out for her. Well, I still do in a way, as if she is following me or something. If I didn't want to be found, but did....I would hide in plain sight, just in case.

I found a homeless person in Alaska while sitting in my jammies working from home once for work. Yep. That happened, and it was awesome. :) I found another person in some remote island down south. I can't remember the name of the island anymore. There are no real streets. People live in huts, and no one has phones. Thing is, everyone talks to everyone.

I became an investigator because of Gloria. The problem is, this case has conjured up years of pain. I allowed myself to walk through the fire by asking questions, opening doors, and looking around corners that some wanted to block. I have had so many doors closed in my face. I've been hung up on. I'm pretty sure I've been lied to. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself of the good things in life, and all of the support I get from my family and friends. It's not always easy. I've disappeared a lot from this group over the years. I don't want to sound all melodramatic, but I found I just couldn't handle it sometimes. I think I kept it going, and felt this incredible pressure when both of my grandparents (Gloria's parents) were alive. I'm not happy that they are both gone, but there is this pressure that lifted. I'm not making light of my grandmother's death at all, but I don't feel the pressure, or the hurt like I used to. You know, it was also just recently that I started accepting the fact that she might be alive. That might have changed my outlook as well. Anyway, I don't mind doing this work at this pace. Thank you for being there. Send me a private message at islandersteph@gmail.com if you want to talk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back