NY - Father Forces Child to Videotape His Domestic Abuse on Wife

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(ABC) Oct. 26, 2006 — In a tree-lined neighborhood in upstate New York, Susan, 46, a mother of three, never imagined her life would spin out of control.

But she found herself in a marriage that escalated from controlling to violent — as she says she became a victim of domestic violence.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 5.3 million incidents of intimate partner violence occur each year in the United States.

But Susan's case is unique because her abuse was documented in a disturbing 51-minute home videotape.

Three years ago, Susan's husband ordered their 13-year-old son to videotape his mother being verbally and physically assaulted.

The chilling tape took a look behind closed doors into the brutal reality of domestic violence.

Susan told her story for the first time to ABC News' Diane Sawyer.

Rest of the story at link:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2608738&page=1

Ulner was found guilty on all counts, and the judge handed down a sentence of 36 years, which, to Rodwin's knowledge, is the longest in New York history for a domestic-violence case in which the victim wasn't killed.

Still not long enough for what he did, in my estimation! :furious:

I was worried the judge was going to go lienent on this guy. This woman was lucky to have had a boss/co-worker that documented the abuse. From what I understand the video alone wasn't enough to prove the abuse. Unbelievable.

I couldn't watch this for too long either. The 13 yr old needs some serious counseling or he will definitely be following in his father's footsteps. Same for the rest of the children if there were any. I think there was another son, but I just couldn't watch it so I'm not sure.

Thank God she had someone to help her get out!!!! That video made me ill to watch, and it was videotaped for 51 minutes in the full version. I'm glad he got 36 years and I hope he does every day of that sentence with no parole!! She was a brave woman to let the world see what went on behind her closed doors. I agree, her children need to get counseling if they haven't already.

Taximom said:
I couldn't watch this for too long either. The 13 yr old needs some serious counseling or he will definitely be following in his father's footsteps. Same for the rest of the children if there were any. I think there was another son, but I just couldn't watch it so I'm not sure.

She had 3 children. 2 sons and a daughter. Thank goodness for her co-worker boss or she'd be dead by now.

jilly said:
She had 3 children. 2 sons and a daughter. Thank goodness for her co-worker boss or she'd be dead by now.

And that would have taught her a 'lesson'. :doh:

can't see how the children raised in such a situation could fare well psychologically without very careful handling.

The fact the boy wasn't able to keep videotaping the abuse and looked away, videotaping his feet, shows that the boy is salvageable after such exposure. As long as he gets decent therapy and reinforcement from non-abusive males in his life, he should be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of those guys who wades into situations to try and rescue women he feels are being mistreated as a means of atonement.

I saw parts of this on GMA, I wasn't home last night to watch the 20/20 show so I missed it.

It made me feel ill when I saw the clips on GMA.

I too watched this last night and even made my 13 year old daughter watch it. Her father was verbally and mentally abusive to me (never physical) and I wanted her to see why I chose to leave and to see the behavior of some men out there. My biggest fear is that she will marry someone like her dad, though I pray not.

I am married to a wonderful and loving man now and hopefully this will be the example she will use when choosing a husband. No one deserves to be treated like an animal. I certainly hope her children get therapy and the mom can re-establish a relationship with her daughter.

I could not even attempt to watch the video. My concern is for the daughter and I hope to learn more about her, how she has fared living with this......words fail me, as "man" is way too good to call him. Now that he is sentenced to prision, I wonder what becomes of the daughter.

Wonder what happened to the daughter? It says the woman lives with her two sons and speaks about abuse. I just can't imagine choosing to live with someone who treated my mother like that.

teonspaleprincess said:
I cannot believe that after the mother left the man, her daughter chose to stay with him!!!
I'm wondering if maybe she was controlled and abused like her mother and was afraid of the conseqences if she left with her mom. Surely after seeing her mother constantly abused so horribly had to have affected her.

I watched the clip provided at the link. I must say that it absolutely enraged me. I hope to hell this coward is getting the kicked out of him on a regular basis in jail. Guys like this are afraid to pick on someone their own size--someone who can actually fight back.

All of the children as well as the mother need counseling to overcome this type of trauma. It will take a long time to erase from their slates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back