NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

Hard to believe it is now the summer of 2014, and the unsolved atrocities committed against these 13 and 14 year old girls, occurred in the summer of 1961!

Hope you are keeping well Sunshine 1950, one day, hopefully very soon, the right person will speak up!

As a 57 yr resident of Carlsbad I think I know everyone in town, I don’t! However I can usually connect everyone I meet with someone they are related to. I remember when Mattie and Patty were “picked up” and murdered. Even as a kid I realized the impact it had on all of us, the suspicion it brought about on people around town, and the sadness that has been in my heart for the Restine and Pritz families for years.

‘Sunshine 1950’ and ‘2gone’ my sympathy is with you and your families. I hope you know how lucky you are to have people like justthinkin, fish1966, TOM BYER, Hurricane, Legacy, MrTT, Carlsbad Native, and others thinking and working on Mattie and Patty’s case.

I personally talked to Jimmy Estrada back in 2004/2005 and he was so excited about where he was and where he was going with the case. Please know Jimmy did a wonderful job reopening and searching out data about the murders. Why did he retire before it was finished? You have to live here in Carlsbad and work for a public entity and understand retirement issues with PERA. Many a good working public servant here has been put thru Hell concerning his/her retirement because they did not do what someone with power over them told them to do. (ie: my opinion Jimmy Estrada effected this way). Did you know Jimmy got married right at his retirement?

I have a notebook full of articles and information about unsolved murders in Carlsbad. While working on the July, 1987 murder of Donna Sue Black Hulsey Haytt I came in contact with Websleulths.com and the threads about Mattie and Patty. It has rekindled my remembrance and feelings about their murders.

My father-in-law of 42 + years, former PCA employee and now very aged has told me on several occasions that “WB may not have killed those little girls, but he had something to do with it”. I have talked to him many times about it long before anyone considered re-opening the case and while it was really a “cold case” My personal belief is just like others have stated on this forum, DB main perp, WB involved or 2nd perp/covering it up, and AB involved in cover up. Below are some things I had opportunity to put my hands on yesterday. If you already know about this info I apologize for not seeing it on the forum. If you have not seen it consider what implication it might have on other evidence related to the case.

1961 - Blair Willie D (Artell) mucker PCA, 2412 W Texas, Carlsbad, NM

1961 - Blair Artell, Nurse St. Frances Hospt. 2412 W Texas, Carlsbad, NM

1961 - David (Bonnie) Constrc. Wkr. 903 W Bonbright, Carlsbad, NM

1961 - Kennth Blair (Glenda) App. Lineman SWPSC, 2407 Utah, Carlsbad, NM

1960 - David Blair, Lab Asst. SWPSC, 2412 W Texas, Carlsbad NM

1962 - Blair Willie D (Artell) emp PCA, 2412 W Texas, Carlsbad NM

1962 - Blair Artell 2412 W Texas, Carlsbad, NM

1962 - David Blair - No Listing.

1962 - Kennth Blair (Glenda) app. Lineman SWPSC, 2408 W Lea, Carlsbad, NM

1961 – Peter Restine, Supervisor, 115 N Lake, Carlsbad, NM

2009 – Blair Artell F. , Carlsbad, NM

1st in my opinion the most important of all these listings is the last one. If Artell is really living there someone, LE hopefully needs to get over there as fast a possible and interview her again and maybe again. She may be the only living person who knows the truth about all of this and could solve almost 50 years of silence and heartbreaking tragedy.

2nd Drive from 600 N Mesquite (sighting of girls being picked up) to DB residence 1961, 903 W Bonbright (I did drive it) takes less than 60 seconds. Arrowhead Drive Inn about same amount of time. Close distance to girls being picked up, Arrowhead sighting and DB’s house is it more that just coincidence?

3rd Pete Restine employed SWPSC (Southwestern Public Service Company) Electric Company in Carlsbad, David Blair employed SWPSC 1961, Kennth Blair Employed SWPSC (retired 2005/06). Did Pete know David? Did they have interaction/run in at work?

4th Artell was a nurse prior to Murders could not find her employed after 1961, just a thought, What was the mental impact of all that on her?

The most confusing thing for me about all of this (and probably for most of us) What kind of power, influence, threat did the Blair family have over so many people including LE. This is selfish on my part but I want to know because it would help me out in so many other things I am trying to solve around Carlsbad.

I have access to some information in Carlsbad, don’t know how much, don’t know what its worth, but will also tell you that “they” can reach out and touch me if “they” want to so I must be private in some of this.

This has been longer that I wanted it to be for that I apologize. I am in awe of the intelligence you guys have who post on this board and I thank you for your efforts. Anne and “2Gone” I am sorry you have had to live with this for so long and I hope the case can be solved soon allowing you to maybe rest a little easier.

Just wanted to bump for Mattie and Patty with this interesting post..

Hard to believe that once again, an August 11 has come and gone without answers in this troubling case.
Hope springs eternal as they say, one fine day, the truth will come to light.

Bumping for truth and justice, in the Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz murders, August 11 1961, Carlsbad, New Mexico.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty and wishing all the best for for Mattie's loving sister!

Still bumping and hoping for justice for Mattie and Patty, maybe 2015 will be the year that finally happens!

​
I'm not sure if this was posted so I will post it here.

CARLSBAD (AP) - The killer of teenagers Pattie sue Pritz, 14, and Mattie Catherine Restine, 13, was still at large today and police said there were no new leads in the case. An inquest jury met yesterday and ruled the girls died of gunshot wounds at the hands of an unknown person.

The jury heard testimony from the two men who discovered the two bodies Sunday and from Dr. Fred Haynes, Carlsbad pathologist who performed the autopsy.

Dr. Haynes said each girl was shot through the head and a large caliber weapon, probably a .38 was used by the killer.

He said there was no evidence that the girls were severely beaten before they were shot to death and that the skull fractures were probably caused by the bullets.

He also said that Mattie Restine was not raped and he was unable to determine if Patty Restine had been molested sexually. Her body, he said, was in an advanced stage of decomposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez
"Richie", as he was known to his family, was present when Mike shot his wife, Jessie, in the face with a .38 caliber revolver during a domestic argument on May 4, 1973.

Elpaso is about 5 and a half hours away from Carlsbad........This shooting occurred twelve years after. My reasoning for posting is to see if any of his relatives, persons he was connected to in Elpaso could have had a connection to the girls murders.

I am not trying to throw a wrench into the wheel of a spinning tire on those that many speculate is responsible for these horrific acts. Just wanted to add something that was way out there. Something new perhaps on this long cold case. There is probably no connection. But in cold cases, nothing surprises me.

ADD ON 1...If the girls were shot with a 38, and even if mike shot his wife twelve years later with a 38 I do wonder if in 73 they would have been able to do a ballistics test to see if the same gun could have been used in each murder. Dont know if this was possible or not.

Mr T, you actually make a good point about Mike - he could have been passing through the girl's area, and he was apparently, violent, nasty and creepy.
Just the type who might callously harm those children, imo.
ITA, after all these years, shaking things up a bit by " thinking outside the box " might just be what is needed here, thanks for posting!

Still hoping for the day that either DNA testing, or someone gives information, that will solve this case.

I have been reading through this thread since yesterday and it is heartbreaking. The dedication that Sunshine has for solving this case is amazing. i see she hasnt posted in a while so if she is reading i just want to say that every day more and more people read on websleuths and elsewhere. cold cases are being solved all the time and my prayer is that very soon it will be Sunshine's turn to receive her answers.

I have been reading through this thread since yesterday and it is heartbreaking. The dedication that Sunshine has for solving this case is amazing. i see she hasnt posted in a while so if she is reading i just want to say that every day more and more people read on websleuths and elsewhere. cold cases are being solved all the time and my prayer is that very soon it will be Sunshine's turn to receive her answers.

A number of cold cases have been solved in recent years, hoping that one day soon, the Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz case will be too!

Encouraged by all the cold cases that are getting solved, like the Lyon sisters, whose long suffering family may finally receive justice and get the answers they so deserve!

It may well happen in this case too, bumping for Maddie Restine , only 13 years old, and her pal, Patty Pritz, 14, a couple of kids, who did nothing but be kids, on a summer's day.

Thinking of the Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz August 11 1961.

http://www.currentargus.com/ci_19352382
" It is a story that has long had more questions than answers, for the girls' family members and for everyone who remembers the crime.

According to a friend, the girls left the beach about 8:40 p.m. on Friday night. A witness reported seeing a man struggling with two girls near a car just two blocks from Pritz's home.

Late that evening, the girls' mothers became concerned and police were called around 11 p.m.

News stories recount how the bodies were found on the afternoon of Sunday, Aug. 13, in a remote area of Rocky Arroyo, 12 miles northwest of Carlsbad. They were discovered by two local men - Bill Melton and Willie D. Blair - who had been hunting rabbits.

Both girls had been shot in the head with a .
38-caliber weapon, and Pritz appeared to have been sexually assaulted.

A couple of tire tracks and a footprint were among the sparse evidence at the scene."

Some good news....the FBI VICAP GROUP....is working on the case again....
The Eddy County Sheriff's Office emailed me and told me this news this week.

Please keep working on this case people...Our families appreciate all that has been offered on solving this case. August 11, 2010 will be 49 yrs ....since the girls were murdered. I believe this case can be solved...so please keep up the search for what happened (who killed) to Mattie and Patty.
Thanks, Anne

Wonder who the FBI VIDCAP came up with, and/or, if they are still looking into this case?

Please keep this unsolved murder case alive and hopefully solved. I haven't given up...I'm disappointed about nothing being done with the case. About a year ago I was told by the deputy working this case a man had come to his office yo talk with him about getting something off his chest...He was (deputy) suppose to get back with me on this information but haven't heard from him yet. This man was a son of one of the witness es involved with one of the men that found the girls body.
Again please this case going. Thank you .

Please keep this unsolved murder case alive and hopefully solved. I haven't given up...I'm disappointed about nothing being done with the case. About a year ago I was told by the deputy working this case a man had come to his office yo talk with him about getting something off his chest...He was (deputy) suppose to get back with me on this information but haven't heard from him yet. This man was a son of one of the witness es involved with one of the men that found the girls body.
Again please this case going. Thank you .

So nice to "see" you Sunshine!
The wheels may be barely turning, but the train is moving. Reminds me of a great big old locomotion getting pulled by rope and pushed by hand.
imo.

Hi dotr. Nice to be back. Haven't really stopped seeking justice for Mattie and Patty. ..just lost on what to do now. I continue to pray that one day someone will come in to the ECSO and tell who killed them. I think that this may have already happened but ignored or maybe just slow going in the right direction. I hate to be so negative. ..but that's how I feel right now.
Please keep looking at this case. Someone really needs to guestioning the alibis that individuals gave for their friends. Wish I could say the names but I'm afraid I'll get myself in trouble again

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back