GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This boy is a perfect example of the current "me" generation raising children! Be their friend, not parent, give them whatever is wanted, give them choices, never say no, punishment or discipline is unheard of because we are raising our child in the "new" way. Mistakes or errors have no consequences, speak your mind, you are free to do what you want, oh, and by the way, with our last name the law will go easy on us. How many times do you bet this boy heard a similar conversation?!

Yikes, no wonder this child is out of control! Someone in his family has seen it coming for years. Two hard headed parents raising their son in the way they chose. My guess is one if not both parents were raised with structure and rules but chose to not impose such strict parenting on this "golden boy". Poor boy!

Aren't other 16 year olds tried as adults for murdering a person? Let alone 4 people while under the influence! The worst thing that happened to this kid was to be given the sentence he was given! Same as his life, no consequences for murdering 4 people! Having money helped him going into this sentencing, as a jury would never have let him walk free!

Money is buying his freedom! I hope no one else is injured or killed!

My opinions only!

No jury! The sentence was imposed by either a very misguided or stupid judge. Either that or she was paid off by the Couch family. I still haven't resolved in my mind what caused her to rule as she did.

Yes, there was no jury. It was in juvenile court. Judge was apparently convinced by the "affluenza" defense.
As for murder suicide, no way. I bet these two are in some exotic country with no extradition to the US.

Yes, there was no jury. It was in juvenile court. Judge was apparently convinced by the "affluenza" defense.
As for murder suicide, no way. I bet these two are in some exotic country with no extradition to the US.

RBBM

Honestly as soon as I heard they were missing, this was my first thought.

I:(I've seen a couple of mentions here about possible murder/suicide. Apparently, the only thing this crazy family lives for is staying out of jail. If they're ever cornered by LE, I wonder what their reaction might be? Of course, with their fondness for drugs & booze, there's always the possibility they will have one party too many. This is a couple of things that are rumbling around in my brain.

I don't see suicide from those two. I think they are both too selfish, and they have not run out of money. I think, as far as Tonya anyway, that she thinks money will fix anything. So far it has. :(

I wonder if they have bought a copy of "Spanish for Dummies" yet... lol

Sí estoy de acuerdo.

¿Conoce el camino a Buenos Aires?

Yes, I agree.
Do you know the way to Buenos Aires?

Nope, no way -- Argentina has extradition to the US for certain crimes -- murder included.

Here's a link to a list of no-extradite to the US countries.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/22665099/countries-with-no-extradition-treaty-with-us

Some of them have so much to offer, especially to women.

No jury! The sentence was imposed by either a very misguided or stupid judge. Either that or she was paid off by the Couch family. I still haven't resolved in my mind what caused her to rule as she did.

I wondered way back if perhaps the judge had been paid off. Seems to be the way this family takes care of things.

Was hoping to catch up here and see they were caught.

Sigh.....

I don't see suicide from those two. I think they are both too selfish, and they have not run out of money. I think, as far as Tonya anyway, that she thinks money will fix anything. So far it has. :(

I wonder if they have bought a copy of "Spanish for Dummies" yet... lol

Essactly. Too chicken to do that. What I do see is another Jason Williford on the making. Remember that trial miss bordenmnovich? The mother, poor thing (sort of), saying what a lovely boy he was... and then along came the booze. No one did squat. He "tried" AA (you do't try AA, you commit to it or not darnit) but didn't really succeed (no sh... Sherlock). Long story short, he raped and murdered a woman in post-op recovery. That is what will happen to EC -- sadly, more people will die before he is in jail. [inselt insults adn expletives here]

Wonder if the duo are skiing someplace?
They can easily go unrecognized in winter ski-wear, imo.

Totally agree my Little Coffee Bean! Espero que lo estas haciendo bien.

I hadn't thought of Williford, but it does have its similarities. Every time his parents would send him to a professional or organization, he would give it half a try and dribble on out -- and his parents did not have the money to send him to a live-in set up where he perhaps could have gotten some help. They caved every time, and the money was a problem.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?97404-NC-Kathy-Taft-62-Raleigh-6-March-2010-1

OTOH, this young Couch had it all, all, all -- materially, anyway, and has he benefited? Dunno. If all this treatment ever does sink in to his being, then he may need another type of counseling (grief, guilt, self-worth). Seriously. But he has a lot of growing up to do... A lot.

And his friends (at the time of the incident), still won't talk about it. What has it done to them? They were there when it happened. Nightmares, guilt, etc., etc., perhaps? He took a lot of people down with him that night. Oh, so many -- besides the victims' relatives whose lives will never be the same for one minute -- were affected so terribly. (Remember it was said he just turned around and headed towards his house that night.) Mmmfffff.

I do wonder about his friends. Are they themselves in recovery now? Are they still partying like idiots? Are they in contact with EC?

Essactly. Too chicken to do that. What I do see is another Jason Williford on the making. Remember that trial miss bordenmnovich? The mother, poor thing (sort of), saying what a lovely boy he was... and then along came the booze. No one did squat. He "tried" AA (you do't try AA, you commit to it or not darnit) but didn't really succeed (no sh... Sherlock). Long story short, he raped and murdered a woman in post-op recovery. That is what will happen to EC -- sadly, more people will die before he is in jail. [inselt insults adn expletives here]

People might disagree, but imo AA will give people tools on how to stay sober. It doesn't teach people why they chose to abuse alcohol as a problem solving solution. Treatment is better at the why's.

Ethan doesn't and never had a reason to make changes in himself and for himself and imo his mom doesn't either. They bith belong behind bars for a long time.

I do wonder about his friends. Are they themselves in recovery now? Are they still partying like idiots? Are they in contact with EC?

It's unfair imo to even consider EC's friends as being addicts who need to be in recovery. Not every underage hs age or college age drinker is an addict. I haven't seen kr read anything to indicate any of ECs party friends had substance abuse problems that escalated to the level Ecs had.

People might disagree, but imo AA will give people tools on how to stay sober. It doesn't teach people why they chose to abuse alcohol as a problem solving solution. Treatment is better at the why's.

Ethan doesn't and never had a reason to make changes in himself and for himself and imo his mom doesn't either. They bith belong behind bars for a long time.

I'm with you. I did not go to treatment and am not particularly fond of the model, but I think lengthy therapy after one sobers up is a must. Not 28 days of wam bam thank you ma'am. After 11 years (praying until January 5!) of being an active AA member and going to therapy I know much better why I drank, and I know how not to do it again.

Ethan KNOWS by now he has a problem with drinking. There is no way in heck he is unaware. He, just like me a long time ago, does not give a hoot. He doesn't have to. When nothing changes, nothing changes.

xoxoxo to you.

It's unfair imo to even consider EC's friends as being addicts who need to be in recovery. Not every underage hs age or college age drinker is an addict. I haven't seen kr read anything to indicate any of ECs party friends had substance abuse problems that escalated to the level Ecs had.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I would never diagnose them or anyone else. Heck, I don't diagnose my dad and believe me, he is a pretty surreal drinker :(

I just wonder how they are today. What life changes happened for them after being involved -albeit unwittingly- in such a horrible tragedy. Like you said, we don't know about their own habits. I hope they are well adjusted young adults.

I'm with you. I did not go to treatment and am not particularly fond of the model, but I think lengthy therapy after one sobers up is a must. Not 28 days of wam bam thank you ma'am. After 11 years (praying until January 5!) of being an active AA member and going to therapy I know much better why I drank, and I know how not to do it again.

Ethan KNOWS by now he has a problem with drinking. There is no way in heck he is unaware. He, just like me a long time ago, does not give a hoot. He doesn't have to. When nothing changes, nothing changes.

xoxoxo to you.

Thanks and congrats on almost 11 years! I went to IOP, OP and aftercare. All together it was about 19 months. It was well worth it.

I keep wondering about EC being dropped regularly and why he was not wearing one of those scram/alcohol monitoring ankle bracelets. Admittedly I did not follow this case when it first occured. Is there a link with the terms of his probation anywhere?

CBSDFW ‏@CBSDFW 24s24 seconds ago
BREAKING: CNN says "Affluenza" teen detained in Mexico.

Sunny HostinVerified account ‏@SunnyHostin 9m9 minutes ago
Mexican authorities have detained Ethan Couch, also known as the "affluenza" teen, and his mother in beach resort town near Puerto Vallarta

https://twitter.com/SunnyHostin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members