Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see dots there which look to me like they are from whatever item the crooked cops used to dispense it.

Actually, very few people are declaring that they think Steven is definitely innocent....just that he shouldn't have been convicted based on the evidence presented at trial.

Brendan Dassey did not come up with any story. Not one piece of credible information was volunteered by him...the police fed it to him and got him to agree.

"If he'd just kept his mouth shut?" Seriously? This was a learning disabled child who thought if he said what they wanted to hear he could be back at school in order to hand in a project.

If anything's surprising it's that anyone could watch that documentry and come away thinking that Brendan Dassey "confessed". He really didn't.

The Brendan conviction episode really put a downer on this years festivities. I just couldn't get that kid out of my head. His mother leaving the court room was heart breaking.

I am just starting episode 4 and I am in a state of shock. I have looking at the body language of LE mainly as well as that Kratz person. They sure were nervous when being questioned by the civil attorneys. I just can't get over the feeling so far, that Teresa (of no value) was worth the $35M (sacrifice) to implicate Avery and keep those liable out of jail. LE seems very suspect so far in the way it has been presented. I may change my mind as I continue to watch.

I am just starting episode 4 and I am in a state of shock. I have looking at the body language of LE mainly as well as that Kratz person. They sure were nervous when being questioned by the civil attorneys. I just can't get over the feeling so far, that Teresa (of no value) was worth the $35M (sacrifice) to implicate Avery and keep those liable out of jail. LE seems very suspect so far in the way it has been presented. I may change my mind as I continue to watch.

I'll admit by episode 10...I never finished the doc.

I cheated and googled the case..

I kept thinking there would be a happy ending.....as it stands...they are both still locked up.

I'll admit by episode 10...I never finished the doc.

I cheated and googled the case..

I kept thinking there would be a happy ending.....as it stands...they are both still locked up.

I just watched Brendan's lawyer gear up for the media with this slimey bravado. OMG! I am now watching his investigator, Kelley, have Brendon look at this form that obviously Brendan does not understand. He tells Brendon if he's not sorry, then he can't help him. Brendan says he didn't do anything! OMG! This is horrific. Beyond horrific. This kid is obviously diminished capacity with an extremely low IQ. His attorney obviously has an agenda to get notoriety and be elected to something down the road. IMO.

This is hard to watch as I yell at my iPad. Does this really happen? WTH? I am not a lawyer, but none of this seems right at all. Teresa's family deserves the truth and so far, I don't think I am seeing anything truthful at all. IMO

Y
I just watched Brendan's lawyer gear up for the media with this slimey bravado. OMG! I am now watching his investigator, Kelley, have Brendon look at this form that obviously Brendan does not understand. He tells Brendon if he's not sorry, then he can't help him. Brendan says he didn't do anything! OMG! This is horrific. Beyond horrific. This kid is obviously diminished capacity with an extremely low IQ. His attorney obviously has an agenda to get notoriety and be elected to something down the road. IMO.

This is hard to watch as I yell at my iPad. Does this really happen? WTH? I am not a lawyer, but none of this seems right at all. Teresa's family deserves the truth and so far, I don't think I am seeing anything truthful at all. IMO

Most watchers took a break from the series after #4. Be prepared and maybe invest in some sort of iPad protector.

I think the logical evaluation of this trial at the moment isn't really about determining who the guilty party is, but more about whether Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey were tried fairly, and in accordance with constitutional law. The failings or inadequacies of a small state police force should never ever be accepted as a reason for accused citizens not to receive a fair, complete and honest trial. This basic human principle applies to everybody, wherever in the world they happen to live.

Until certain full and complete transcripts of the Steven Avery trial are made available I cannot profess to absolutely know who is innocent or guilty, however even without this information it is not very difficult to form quite a solid opinion as to whether the accused parties received fair and proper treatment by the relevant county police authorities. I do not believe for one minute that the interrogation methods and lack of cohesive evidence would have passed muster in a larger county/state trial, nor do thousands of others. Surely there should be some very serious questions currently being asked among other state prosecutors/defenders regarding these convictions?

she appears to be one of the few witnesses without a dog in this fight,

Honestly, in this case, you can't be certain. Two of the Avery jurors had close ties to Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department (1 male juror with a son who worked for them and a man whose wife worked for them as well...). Whose to say the bus driver didn't have a relative or close friend working there too? :gaah:

CORRECTION: The man's wife worked in the Manitowoc County Clerk's Office
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/29326359.html

I agree the court clerk spouse might not have been a big deal, but even if they have strikes - how many were used ? I guess I see anyone related to law enforcement, and especially in that county would seem to unfair. I don't know what goes on in the selection process, but maybe that person even knew what to say or not say to be selected ? Which is why a strike might not have been used.

But , if these 2 individuals were the "strong willed" ones, it kind of supports the argument of those saying it's unfair. We have confirmed that one was indeed one of the strong willed. The other 2 ? Would be interesting to know if it was that husband of a clerk.

Which clerk? That box of evidence with the broken seals was in the clerks office... WTF..

Perhaps this has been discussed and I apologize but does anyone know what time on November 3rd Tom & Karen Halbach called police to report her missing? TIA.

Just can't get past Colburn's call to run Teresa's plate number. At the time he made the call, had she been reported missing? That's why I'd like to know what time her folks actually called/went in to make the report and what time Colburn made his call. If she had been reported missing prior to his call, wouldn't all of that information (motor vehicle registration/ltag number for any registered vehicles...) come up when her name was entered into the database?

Just can't get past Colburn's call to run Teresa's plate number. At the time he made the call, had she been reported missing? That's why I'd like to know what time her folks actually called/went in to make the report and what time Colburn made his call. If she had been reported missing prior to his call, wouldn't all of that information (motor vehicle registration/ltag number for any registered vehicles...) come up when her name was entered into the database?

Yes because the dispatcher says that car is registered to a missing person She says her name he replies a Toyota something, she confirms he says thanks

I can't get past what her brother said in the first days of the search. Something about the mourning process can be very long...

I wonder what the jurors -- from BOTH trials -- are thinking now that the flaws are being revealed.

I wonder if some are feeling pangs of guilt and remorse...

"Reasonable Doubt" is the standard in this country. Not "He must have done it," or, "I think he did it."

Shame on them for not honoring their oath to find a verdict based on the facts presented in court. Any honest juror would have found more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit. At the very least, for Steven Avery's trial, it should have been a hung jury. Brendan's trial should never have even made it to court. JMO

Transcript from "Making a Murderer" Episode 5: The Last Person to See Teresa Alive;

Colburn being questioned on the stand about calling in Teresa's plate number...

Strang: One of the things road patrol officers frequently do is call in to dispatch and give the dispatcher the license plate number of a car they've stopped or a car that looks out of place for some reason. Correct?
Colburn: Yes, sir
Strang: And the dispatcher can get information about to whom a license plate is registered
Strang: If the car is abandoned or there's nobody in the car, the registration tells you who the owner presumably is
Strang: I'm gonna ask you to listen, if you would, to a short phone call
(tape begins)
Woman: Manitowoc County Sheriff's Department, this is Lynn.
Colborn: Lynn
Woman (Lynn): Hi, Andy
Colborn: Can you run Sam-William-Henry-582?
Woman (Lynn): OK. It shows that she's a missing person. And it lists to Teresa Halbach
Colborn: OK.
Woman (Lynn): OK, that's what you're looking for, Andy?
Colborn: Ninety-nine Toyota?
Woman (Lynn): Yep.
Colborn: OK, thank you
Woman (Lynn): You're so welcome. Bye-bye
(tape ends)
Strang: OK. What you're asking the dispatch is to run a plate that's "Sam-William-Henry-582"? Did I hear that correctly?
Strang: Sam-William-Henry would be S-W-H-5-8-2?
Colburn: Yes
Strang: This license plate?
Strang: And the dispatcher tells you that the plate comes back to a missing person or woman?
Strang: Teresa Halbach?
Strang: And then you tell the dispatcher, "Oh, '99 Toyota?"
Colburn: No, I thought she told me that
(Replays tape)
Woman (Lynn): It shows that she's a missing person. And it lists to Teresa Halbach
Colborn: OK
Woman (Lynn): OK, that's what you're looking for, Andy?
Colborn: Ninety-nine Toyota?
Woman (Lynn): Yep
Colborn: OK, thank you
Woman (Lynn): You're so welcome. Bye-bye
(tape ends)
Strang: Were you looking at these plates when you called them in?
Colburn: No, sir
Strang: Do you have any recollection of making that phone call?
Colburn: Yeah, I'm guessing eleven-oh-three-oh-five. Probably after I received a phone call from Investigator Wiegert letting me know that there was a missing person.
Strang: Investigator Wiegert, did he give you the license plate number for Teresa Halbach when he called you?
Colburn: You know, I just don't remember the exact content of our conversation then. But you think... He had to have given it to me because I wouldn't have had the number any other way
Strang: Well, you can understand how someone listening to that might think that you were calling in a license plate that you were looking at on the back end of a 1999 Toyota.
Colburn: Yes
Strang: But there's no way you should've been looking at Teresa Halbach's license plate on November three on the back end of a 1999 Toyota
Colburn: I shouldn't have been and I was not looking at the license plate
Strang: Because you're aware now that the first time that Toyota was reported found was two days later on November five?

I've watched this part of his testimony 3 times now and re-read the transcript half a dozen times and I can't get past how obviously nervous Colburn is when he's answering Strang's questions about calling in Teresa's plate number. It's also obvious to me that he was coached very well on how to answer. Most of his answers are simply "yes sir" or "no sir", as if he's being extremely careful not to let anything slip... JMO ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288