FL - Mother shoots daughter, mistaking her for intruder

A cop didn't wake up when he heard a gun shot. Didn't know it was a bullet hole. Her mother made it through a 5 min 911 call and didn't say anything about a gun shot til. Medical Personnel got there. How does all this happen. They are suppose to be trained professionals.
I understand it's not that easy to stay professional when it's your own child. But I feel in a panic when your adrenaline is pumping you just blurt out even the most unimportant info. As a mother whose daughter is hurt. You offer every bit of information. How do you manage to withhold the most important detail in the whole situation.

This is a long shot (no pun intended) but maybe she thought the shot missed her daughter and thought her daughter collapsed due to the shock and heart condition. :dunno:

As more comes out it doesn't seem like the officer was trying to hide his identity as an undercover officer, but that it is being reported he did not know his step daughter had been shot.
I do believe this was a terrible accident mainly because media reports are saying that the mother is still in the hospital being monitored.
A witness could of been a neighbor. They could of heard the gunshot and reported the time of the shot and that it was shortly before the first responders showed up. Also, a neighbor could of seen the daughter show up just before the shot was fired. They could also verify only one shot fired.

I can't imagine saying anything to 911 other than "My daughter's been shot" or "I shot my daughter." So what did she say - my kid is unconscious and possibly injured on the floor and not moving and could you please send an ambulance? How could she, and why would she, exclude the most critical detail?

Maybe it's me but when I am panicked I will tell you everything. I am not thinking straight I just need you to know everything. For example my daughter had a seizure years ago. After everything was calm and she was fine. Everyone was making fun of me I told them every little thing down to what she had for breakfast. I needed them to know every detail. Your daughter being shot isn't something that slips your mind. Like oh by the way it's not her pacemaker I shot her. What the heck?

Step dad is an undercover cop. His wife a dispatched. Probably got threats, probably felt threatened. The entire family is in a heightened state of watchfulness, and prepared for when a **** will follow through.

Nighttime. Both asleep, when a noise/a shadows awakens the mother. She knows they are home alone, so naturally, she thinks there is a criminal in the room. She shots from a small caliber pistol and hits her daughter right in the heart. Instant death, no blood being pumped out.

Lights are turned on, husband awakens, all they see is a small red dot. They know or think bullet wounds are more gruesome, so she must have missed her. She must have scared her so badly that her pacemaker malfunctioned inside her body. That's why there is a red spot on her chest. So they call 911 and not report the bullet because at that point they believe it missed her, and think it's a less urgent information.

Plausible?

Really? Now t h u g is a bad word that needs to be censored?

The entrance wound would be small and there may not be any blood present. The most visible damage would be at the exit wound, presumably on her back. If she hadn't been turned over IMO it's possible mom and stepdad didn't know she was shot until after the 911 call and first responder got there. They knew the shot was made but thought it was a miss in the dark?

Where are you getting that there was a "black burn mark from the gun powder"?

If there was that kind of marking on the victims skin it suggests a very close contact type wound. That's not how this shooting has been described.

Oh I always thought it burned when the bullet entered. I didn't realize it was only close contact. That makes more sense.

Step dad is an undercover cop. His wife a dispatched. Probably got threats, probably felt threatened. The entire family is in a heightened state of watchfulness, and prepared for when a **** will follow through.

Nighttime. Both asleep, when a noise/a shadows awakens the mother. She knows they are home alone, so naturally, she thinks there is a criminal in the room. She shots from a small caliber pistol and hits her daughter right in the heart. Instant death, no blood being pumped out.

Lights are turned on, husband awakens, all they see is a small red dot. They know or think bullet wounds are more gruesome, so she must have missed her. She must have scared her so badly that her pacemaker malfunctioned inside her body. That's why there is a red spot on her chest. So they call 911 and not report the bullet because at that point they believe it missed her, and think it's a less urgent information.

Plausible?

Sounds plausible. People don't always think very clearly when under stress so that could account for some seemingly strange things in this case.

What about the black gunshot marks posted above? Is this true?

Sounds plausible. People don't always think very clearly when under stress so that could account for some seemingly strange things in this case.

What about the black gunshot marks posted above? Is this true?

no Im sorry that was an assumption. Me and my friend were looking at pics of gunshots. Trying to figure out how a cop could miss that detail. I assumed that was all gunshots. not just close range.

Oh I always thought it burned when the bullet entered. I didn't realize it was only close contact. That makes more sense.

Thanks. Gunshot wounds sometimes leave "stippling" marks that can help determine how far away the muzzle of a gun was from the victim when fired.

Entrance Wounds

Contact wounds characteristically have soot on the outside of the skin, and muzzle imprint, or laceration of the skin from effects of gases. Contact wounds of airguns usually lack these features (Cohle et al, 1987). Intermediate, or close-range, wounds may show a wide zone of powder stippling, but lack a muzzle imprint and laceration. The area of powder stippling will depend upon the distance from the muzzle. (Denton et al, 2006)
Distant range wounds are lacking powder stippling and usually exhibit a hole roughly the caliber of the projectile fired.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNINJ.html

Plausible?

The more I think about it yes. It's plausible. We worked at a gas station together a few years back. She was always very cautious of people knowing who her step dad was. Because of his undercover work. If they didn't know who she was they didn't need too. They probably do get alot of threats. Especially in recent months there was a big drug bust.

I have been reading on gunshot wounds. Not all gunshot wounds bleed externally. If not shot at real close range there could of been (from the pictures i saw) a small round hole. The damage from a bullet is internal. Depending on the shot and bullet there may or may not of been an exit would.
As far as the stepfather not being woke up by the bullet, I think it is possible that it did wake him up he didn't register what woke him. I know once when the space shuttle landed I woke up startled then heard a boom I thought my garage had exploded. I do think it was the first boom that woke me startled, (but it did not register) and then I heard the second boom.

Death ruled as a Homicide per Medical Examiner.

Heard it on WFTV. Not posted on their website yet.

www.wftv.com

Plausible?

Plausible to me, and honestly maybe it was too horrific for mom to believe it was true.......what a sad story.

I have been reading on gunshot wounds. Not all gunshot wounds bleed internally. If not shot at real close range there could of been (from the pictures i saw) a small round hole. The damage from a bullet is internal. Depending on the shot and bullet there may or may not of been an exit would.
As far as the stepfather not being woke up by the bullet, I think it is possible that it did wake him up he didn't register what woke him. I know once when the space shuttle landed I woke up startled then heard a boom I thought my garage had exploded. I do think it was the first boom that woke me startled, (but it did not register) and then I heard the second boom.

I always assumed that some blood would ooze out of a bullet entrance wound. If I make a hole much smaller than .380 caliber in myself it sure does.

Just passing on what I heard. :)

I know. We will have to wait and see if it's determined that a murder or manslaughter has occurred.

Plausible?

Father is a cop. Presumably he had seen bullet wounds before.

I always assumed that some blood would ooze out of a bullet entrance wound. If I make a hole much smaller than .380 caliber in myself it sure does.

She had a red dot on her chest so blood was oozing out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back