Found Deceased KY - James 'Mike' Kimsey, 48, Louisville, 29 May 2015

Sad. Having been on WS awhile now it seems that missing adults who are not seemingly impaired who leave without ID, phones or money are usually found dead by their own hand. That doesn't rule out foul play but we see so many on here who have taken their own lives and from our outsiders view it makes no sense. We don't get the whole picture or know the turmoil that some are in. From the outside they seem happy, many like Mike, with small children who they adore.
That sorry excuse for law enforcement giving the presser really pissed me off.
How hard is it to thoroughly search 2 blocks from Mike's home? How many of the 2000+ missing persons reports in his area are for runaways who had a plan and took the their belongings with them? This was either foul play or a suicide from day one. Shame on them for dropping the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only is it disturbing that they are apparently inept in conducting searches, but that coupled with LE not allowing friends and family to search is beyond disturbing. For there to have been no smell, or him not to have been found before now with houses so nearby, he must have been buried, or at least hidden - does that not prove someone else is involved?

@Rocky Road - just wanted to say thinking of you and all Mike's friends and family. While you might have expected this news some day it must still be a huge blow to everyone who knew him. Hope you're doing ok.

Thank you for this. Mike was extremely smart. He was valedictorian of his high school class, graduated with honors with a BS in Chemistry from the University of Tennessee, and rather than going to medical school as he originally had plans to do, he joined the Air Force, having learned to fly in his hometown. He flew for the USAF for 10 years, flying many dangerous missions during the Gulf War and humanitarian relief in Bosnia, delivering food, medicine, and supplies to the people. Mike wanted to serve his country and he did so honorably. He was an excellent pilot. He received commendations, and safety awards, his last being UPS's highest safety award just before his leave of absence for his last surgeries.Mike was an athlete all of his life, loving and excelling in sports of all kinds. He was a survivor, and he was certainly capable of surviving even Big Frog Wilderness, which he hiked and camped when he was in East Tennessee. I have heard about him hiking mountains in many other mountainous areas of our country and even when stationed in Germany. Quite the accomplishment. He was frugal, and a financial genius, having studied the market and becoming a successful investor. He enjoyed this, and we expected that when his professional flying days were over, he would become a stock broker or financial planner. My husband often discussed this with Mike, and Mike seemed very interested in doing this some day. Mike was not perfect, as none of us are, but he was a great kid and a really good man. He loved his family and he loved his child. Mike was very disciplined, as most successful people are, and his neighbors have commented that he was early to rise and it was common to see him walking/hiking the trails, early in the mornings. He was a jogger before his back surgeries, but became a walker afterwards because his doctors advised him not to pound the pavement anymore. He told me this personally when we discussed his surgery and his rehab last Fall. The morning of his "disappearance", I have to wonder if Mike awakened early, maybe earlier than usual, in the shower as his wife noted at 3:30, subsequently got dressed in his shorts, black tee, black hiking/walking boots, wearing his wedding band, put his phone, wallet, and keys in his pocket as he always did, grabbed a bite of breakfast while he watched the morning stock channels, surfed the financial pages on the internet, then as dawn crept up, he decided to hit the trails for his morning hike, before anyone else in the house had awakened. So many different things could have happened from that point forward. He could have been confronted at his doorstep. He could have gotten to the trail and been jumped along the way by someone who wanted him gone. He could have been walking and had a massive heart attack, and being alone on the trail wound up in the brush before he died. He could have been murdered by an unknown assailant because Mike would have tried to fight off a mugger, I'm guessing. He could have been hit by a drunk driver on the road in his neighborhood and the driver moved him to hide his body. So many things could have happened, and not knowing is so difficult, but for his parents and sister, and eventually his small child someday, this is a hell they could have never imagined could happen in their family and to their son that they were so so proud of all his life. He was their child and brother first in life, and they have loved him always. But what makes this entire case even more heartbreaking than can be imagined, is the ineptitude of LE, who was not the least bit objective in this case from the very beginning, and had no sense of urgency in searching for Mike. Additionally, the initial actions by Mike's wife delayed a search for him, the ex-police officer friend's involvement that occurred before the LMPD was contacted and her search of Mike's belongings, the initial statements to police that Mike somehow did something wrong although he was the victim of something whether a health emergency or foul play, the continued lack of concern for Mike's parents who are 80 yrs old and who have made numerous trips from South East Tennessee to Louisville trying to find someone that would help them find their missing son, the rudeness of different officers and detectives along the way toward Mike's parents because they let their bias stand in the way, and the total lack of search by LE. If they searched 3 times in that wooded area less than a mile from Mike's house, and had dogs, then they have done the poorest job imaginable and their dog's are pretty much worthless. Frankly, I doubt they did more than a cursory glance. We know from neighbors that the initial search last only a half day. Also, the initial search was 3 weeks after Mike "disappeared". There should have been grid searches so that someone could have tripped over his body, if not be alerted by the dogs. Many offers were made to help search, many people, several organizations, yet police refused to allow this. Whether nonfeasance or misfeasance, either is awful and in my opinion, at least one applies throughout this case. Only once the case became cold did the new detectives take all this seriously and began to look closer. In the end, it took a neighborhood dog to find Mike, because the LE could not get the job done. I'm not sure if the problem has been total apathy, poor communication, corruption, or a combination of many issues, but the outcome for Mike may have been different, at least with regards to finding his body, if someone of LE had taken a dedicated interest in finding Mike. I find it difficult to believe that everyone in the LMPD is apathetic, and there must surely be some wonderful officers, but unfortunately, there was little cooperation or even kindness from most of the people involved in this case. We have to wonder why they would not ask for help from state or federal LE, when they had been so unsuccessful and family was asking for this. If LMPD is so overburdened, why not allow the help from outside? Something happened to Mike, and the hope is that the toxicology report and medical examiner will have enough remaining to find something that gives a cause of death or a physical reason for Mike's death. Yes, it is a huge blow to everyone who knew and loved Mike, and as if it all just happened altogether.

Any information not substantiated by previous reports, can be considered my opinion only.

I do not think this man walked out into the woods at 3:30am, hid under some brush and killed himself. It is heartbreaking that he was so close. Imagine if someone had looked for him the day he went missing, maybe he was injured. Why didn't the neighbors organize a search? I bet that subdivision is full of Labradors and they are excellent sniffers. I just do not understand why there was no urgency on the part of anyone except his parents to find Mike. What is wrong here?

LE can't be everywhere all the time but, good grief, we have communities.

Rocky Road, what a beautiful and heartfelt post. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anchorage, you have contented all along you thought he was near the house and it turns out he was on 7/10 mile away. I'm just curious why you have always thought that. :thinking:

Thank you for the acknowlwdgement that my thoughts were correct. I guess I have seen too many scenarios over suicide to know this was a possibility. Sadly the inaction by the police have made this horrible because no one will absolutely know what happened. I have so many questions--dogs searching during the many months and the missed this---- but went to the quarry two miles away? The smell, the lack of ANYONE giving a damn enough to walk every inch of that thicket in seven months. The map clearly shows this is the big clump of brush behind his house. I looked at it from the car every time I went there. No one in seven months scoured every inch??? I have a map of the area but can't figure out how to upload it. Sorry. Also--- chew on this--- HOW CAN A DOMESTIC DOG HAVE A HUMAN BONE TO CHEW ON, WHEN DOGS CANNOT AND GENERALLY DO NOT RUN FREE IN THAT AREA? Homeowners are pretty picky about stray and loose dogs. For one to have an hour or to to find this and bring it to their yard is a little odd. What other animal would drag it there? The only big animals are deer, and they wouldn't. The police did not mention the recovery of his wallet, cell phone, clothing. While possibly scattered, it should have been there. And someone review the reports of the pinging phone. Didn't they imply it was taken out of the area? More thoughts later, life is calling.

Was a weapon found ???

It's certainly tough to make the call of suicide without a weapon near the body. imo

Was a weapon found ???

It's certainly tough to make the call of suicide without a weapon near the body. imo

A weapon near the body wouldn't necessarily mean suicide though, and there are other methods of suicide besides shooting oneself, etc.

HOW CAN A DOMESTIC DOG HAVE A HUMAN BONE TO CHEW ON, WHEN DOGS CANNOT AND GENERALLY DO NOT RUN FREE IN THAT AREA? .

I must have missed where it said a domestic dog was involved, what I heard was "an animal" brought bones into a yard where they were discovered. Could well have been a domestic dog, could have been a coyote, a fox, or other animal. And there are domestic dogs loose and running everywhere, even unintentionally, when someone forgets to close/lock a gate, or drops a leash, or Fido slips out when the door is opened.

So sad to see this news. Mikes smile is infectious in his pics. Hoping for answers for his poor parents and son

So I went to bed last night pretty heartbroken for Mike's family and having had the entire night to think about everything that has happened over the last 8 months and after soaking everything in I woke up this morning pi$$ed off!

Let me start out by saying I am a huge supporter of Law Enforcement. I understand the extremely challenging job they have today, and I will continue do everything I can to support their efforts. If you are a Law Enforcement Officer reading this, THANK YOU for everything you do, from the bottom of my heart!

With that said, I went to the Louisville Metro Police Departments web page and took a look at their mission statement. Everything in Blue below is part of their mission statement:

"It is the mission of the Louisville Metro Police Department to deliver professional, effective services, fairly and ethically, at all times, to all people, in order to prevent crime, control crime, and enhance the overall quality of life for citizens and visitors. We will encourage and promote community involvement on all levels to achieve these ends."

I don't think this investigation was handled professionally at all and I don't think it was given any kind of priority. This investigation, to include the searches, was extremely in-effective, and it was not fair to Mike and his family and the rest of his community. Had this been a female that went missing, I guarantee that things would have been handled differently. The mission statement goes on to talk about promoting community involvement on all levels to achieve these ends - what a crock of *****! I have to believe that they knew a lot more that what was made public or had a theory of what happened, but come on. Had they involved the community early on in this investigation, he would have surely been found, and this family could have closure. When three weeks goes by before the neighbors even have a clue as to whats going on, that really sucks! There are a lot of people who were waiting for some kind of organized community search. I live 40 miles away and would have been there to help this missing veteran's family find him.

Their mission statement goes on to say the following:

Making the Community our Primary Focus.
We are committed to a police-community partnership in providing the delivery of police services. We shall accept a leadership role in developing relationships with the citizens of our community that foster mutual trust and open communications.
There was zero community involvement nor did they take the leadership roll to make this happen!

Ethical Behavior and Accountability.
We shall perform our duties with an unwavering commitment to integrity, professionalism and dependability. We will be accountable to those we serve for our decisions and actions.

Trustworthy
We embrace honesty and openness with the community as vital to securing the public’s trust. Without reservation, we will adhere to a code of conduct that promotes truthfulness and straightforwardness.
What openness with the community????

Respect for All People
We manifest commitment to justice, equal treatment of individuals, tolerance for and acceptance of diversity by demonstrating respect for human dignity and rights. The way Mike's parents and sister were treated throughout this investigation makes me sick to my stomach!

Objectivity
We are committed to the fair and impartial enforcement of all laws. We value treating all persons equitably and without bias, with the highest regard for individual and constitutional rights
Like I said before, had this been a female that was missing, it would not have played out this way

I only pray that Mike did not go out on a walk and fall victim to a crime or fall ill and lay there in the trees for days hoping someone would come help him.

JMO

Thank you for this. Mike was extremely smart. He was valedictorian of his high school class, graduated with honors with a BS in Chemistry from the University of Tennessee, and rather than going to medical school as he originally had plans to do, he joined the Air Force, having learned to fly in his hometown.

Very respectfully snipping this beautiful post - for space.

But what makes this entire case even more heartbreaking than can be imagined, is the ineptitude of LE, who was not the least bit objective in this case from the very beginning, and had no sense of urgency in searching for Mike. Additionally, the initial actions by Mike's wife delayed a search for him, the ex-police officer friend's involvement that occurred before the LMPD was contacted and her search of Mike's belongings, the initial statements to police that Mike somehow did something wrong although he was the victim of something whether a health emergency or foul play, the continued lack of concern for Mike's parents who are 80 yrs old and who have made numerous trips from South East Tennessee to Louisville trying to find someone that would help them find their missing son, the rudeness of different officers and detectives along the way toward Mike's parents because they let their bias stand in the way, and the total lack of search by LE.

Again respectfully snipped for space...

Any information not substantiated by previous reports, can be considered my opinion only.

BBM

This!

Did anybody post a map of where remains were found?

A weapon near the body wouldn't necessarily mean suicide though, and there are other methods of suicide besides shooting oneself, etc.

I agree. I was just speaking statistically... males "generally" choose firearms.

A few thoughts, because I agree that some things still don't quite add up for me. First, when the police say that they cause of death may be undetermined, CAUSE, not manner, but cause of death - that would imply that there was no obvious trauma that would have caused death. e.g. with what remains were available to be removed (we don't know what was present, too many factors can impact decomposition) didn't explicitly demonstrate what mechanism caused his death. So it's unlikely there was something like a gunshot wound to the head or chest (would have left bone injury assuming those bones were present). Also you could potentially infer there were no spent cartridges located nor bullets located, and certainly no reference to having found a weapon. (would they tell us? maybe not, depending on what is going on with the investigation).

One of the other things that is causing noise in my head is:

a) Did the police find Mike's footwear at the body site, in a manner consistent with his having been wearing that footwear at the time he came to rest at that location?
b) Was the soil embedded in the footwear consistent with having walked in that area?

There was discussion previously as to if he was wearing footwear at the time he disappeared. NAMUS indicated he was wearing hiking-style boots I believe - but the NAMUS entry was created months after his disappearance I believe, and we aren't sure who completed that entry.

If you assume that some parts of the events that have been relayed to us are accurate, and Mike left his home voluntarily at 3:30 in the morning - you can only assume one of two things. That a) he left with no intention/plan of harming himself (admittedly this intent could change) or that b) he left with the intent to cause harm to himself.

If he left with no intent to harm himself (regular walk, blowing off steam, angry, happy, whatever) then I think it is odd to find him 7/10 of a mile away in such dense brush that no searchers or canines could get into the area if he didn't have on shoes. That seems really strange. Also if he left in that mindset, he would not have had anything with him to facilitate his committing suicide. e.g. no gun, no rope, no knife, etc. (I have read/heard nothing that indicated Mike was always armed when he left the house, some people are that way, but I have no reason to believe that was true of him.) So even if he left in a non-suicidal state of mind, and he changed his mind mid-walk, how did he commit suicide? What was his mechanism?
If you assume b) that he left home suicidal, then one would make an assumption that he would have taken the mechanism to accomplish this task with him. e.g. gun, knife, rope, pills, etc. In that case, you would think something would be present to make investigators have a little more idea what happened to him. In ANY case, his footwear (or lack thereof) seem to be essential part of the puzzle to me. If you're determined to commit suicide, and you're barefoot, why would you walk into brush that deep to do it? It seems strange.

The only way that this doesn't seem true to me is if there are circumstances that don't seem to match. e.g. a rope next to the body that can't be confirmed as being connected to Mike (or a house nearby where it was stolen, etc.) or enough other circumstantial, non-evidential inconsistencies that cause doubt in the mind of LE as to being able to describe confidently what occurred. For instance, if there was a weapon found but they have no ability to check for GSR or fingerprints on the weapon. Or the weapon has no prints on it. But in that case, even if the weapon belonged to Mike, and LE believed him to be suicidal (which would be in conflict with their previous statement in the case, BTW) then wouldn't it be a red flag if the weapon had no prints?

To respond to some comments in this thread today: a dog was specifically mentioned; either in the press conference or other media reports.
A gun would not have been his first choice perhaps. While the houses are spread out a little, a gun shot in the middle of the night would be noticed. I think he used a rope, his body hung from a tree for awhile, and perhaps some of his remains are still entangled it in up in a tree. That might help resolve this some.
i live in the area, and have for about 20 years. I am telling you that no dogs are "allowed" to run loose and the other neighbors would be right on top of the offenders. Many people have invisible fences, which trap their own dogs if another dog came into their yard and attacked them. I doubt any one dog was allowed to roam around much, and to go into the woods/thicket and get a bone (jaw bone I think) and bring it back is pushing it. But I can't say for sure.

i have a map-- all marked up for you. I have no idea how to upload it here. I just tried again, let's see if it worked.

attachment.php
attachment.php
Here are two copies, but at least we got it. I made this map from Google Maps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 350
can someone please post an Ariel view of his house and where he was found.

Thank you Anchorage. Is it possible to go back to the previous map that was posted a few months ago and blow that picture up to take a closer look at that area? Not sure if that map link updates when opened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back