Found Deceased UK - Adrian Lynch, 20, St Lawrence, Jersey, 5 Dec 2015

My daughter takes her passport on nights out to prove her age to buy alcohol.

You beat me to it mrazda, he does look quite young, so I can understand that he may be asked for proof of age in a pub.

My daughter takes her passport on nights out to prove her age to buy alcohol.

I guess if you don't have any other form of ID (student card, driving licence etc) and look really young, some will use a passport. Adrian had a driving licence though so would not need his passport anyway.

I don't know why anyone would risk taking a passport to use as ID when you can get a £15 ID card, though!

He better not be living it up abroad somewhere... (I'd be pleased he's alive, obvs)

You beat me to it mrazda, he does look quite young, so I can understand that he may be asked for proof of age in a pub.

Jersey has had photo driving licences far longer than the UK has - that was what we always used to prove our age. Even a provisional licence if we hadn't started learning to drive yet. Also you can get ID cards to prove your age. I remember children being able to get them to prove they were 16 for example. I think also you had them to prove you were 18, so you could buy cigarettes.

I really, really doubt the passport means anything. I'm sure he just took it for absolute proof of age. He was wandering around for two hours - he wouldn't do that if he was escaping. And he had no possessions with him!

The friend isn't quoted as explaining why Adrian was known to remove his belt, but I'm sure it's innocent - just a quirk. We all have them.

I'm glad they're researching properties, but I feel that more thorough searches should have been done a while back.

I really, really doubt the passport means anything. I'm sure he just took it for absolute proof of age. He was wandering around for two hours - he wouldn't do that if he was escaping. And he had no possessions with him!.

Rsbm. Unless the bars in his area are known for being extremely suspicious to the point of refusing to accept real Id because they're twitchy about accidentally taking a fake, I have a really really hard time imagining he'd take his passport to prove his age. It's far too important to risk, on a normal day much less one you know you're about to get drunk during. Even of my foreign friends without ID issued by my country (college aged, and in a university town so the bouncers are all on alert) I don't think I've ever seen one bring their passport out drinking. It's just not worth it. If he wanted to be drunk that badly and was that concerned about his license being rejected he wouldn't have bothered going out, he probably would have stayed in and drunk with friends.

Also my apology in advance, I'm recovering from an illness and my medicine is doing wonky things why my brain so if any of this post is nonsense I am quite sorry

Rsbm. Unless the bars in his area are known for being extremely suspicious to the point of refusing to accept real Id because they're twitchy about accidentally taking a fake, I have a really really hard time imagining he'd take his passport to prove his age. It's far too important to risk, on a normal day much less one you know you're about to get drunk during. Even of my foreign friends without ID issued by my country (college aged, and in a university town so the bouncers are all on alert) I don't think I've ever seen one bring their passport out drinking. It's just not worth it. If he wanted to be drunk that badly and was that concerned about his license being rejected he wouldn't have bothered going out, he probably would have stayed in and drunk with friends.

Also my apology in advance, I'm recovering from an illness and my medicine is doing wonky things why my brain so if any of this post is nonsense I am quite sorry

Even with your wonky brain, you make more sense than I do at my best. I hope that you're feeling better..

FWIW I always used to take my passport into town with me on night out. It's (more than) a few years ago now, but I was too old for an ID card, you could only apply for one aged 18-25 and I was around 30 then, I still got ID'd all the time :blushing: I don't drive to have a license so passport was the only option.

I use my passport if I know I need ID. I have a provisional driving licence (never bothered learning) which expired a few years ago and so technically isn't valid ID. I've got 10 years on Adrian though, so I don't think that would apply here...

It does seem strange to take a passport on a night out. Understandable if for ID purposes but he had his driving licence with him too, why take both?

Why would he need to take both his passport and driving licence for ID. One alone would be sufficient ...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree with you.

Also, if he was at a work party, I'm not sure there would be the need to prove his age. Its likely drinks would have been delivered to tables, and at the bar afterwards people would have been buying rounds rather than individual drinks. He could easily have got someone else to buy his drinks for him at a function like that, especially as everyone would have known he was legally old enough to drink.

I would be more likely to suspect an 'escape' if he hadn't been seen in a confused state for so long, by a number of people. Also, someone planning to leaving would not likely be walking into random houses. The only thing that does tie in with an 'escape plan' is the taxi dropping him off somewhere other than his home, but apparently that was normal. I am trying to really stretch my imagination to think that he had stashed a bag of clothes and things somewhere, and was stumbling about in the dark trying to find it, after getting out of the taxi, but I don't believe that happened.

I still find it very hard to believe he hasn't been found, if he wasn't removed from the area by someone else.

Why would he need to take both his passport and driving licence for ID. One alone would be sufficient ...

I always carry my passport with me. I started because I wanted to "always be prepared for everything". While I lost hope for The Big Opportunity over the years, it became a habit - which was recently reinforced by a hotel clerk in Germany who told me that "a driver's license is not an official document". Not true, but also no fun to argue at 11pm without any other hotels in the vicinty.

I always carry my passport with me. I started because I wanted to "always be prepared for everything". While I lost hope for The Big Opportunity over the years, it became a habit - which was recently reinforced by a hotel clerk in Germany who told me that "a driver's license is not an official document". Not true, but also no fun to argue at 11pm without any other hotels in the vicinty.
I've never been anywhere where they have queried using driving licence as ID. Most newer issued driving licenses such as what Adrian would have actually have the same photo as what is on your passport as the dvla lift the photo from the passport agency.

One or the other I can see but taking both out...

I don't think you'd need to do that in Jersey though. The entire island is only 9 miles long by 5 miles wide. It wouldn't take long to phone someone up to bring you your passport if you really needed it.

Plus, if you needed it for ID to buy drinks, you could just leave that pub and go to one of the very many others that would be in walking distance. Jersey is full of pubs, especially in the capital. You'll get two or three in the same street in places. A Jersey licence would be sufficient ID I'm sure, as only Jersey produces them - they'd be no market for mass production of fakes!

I've never been anywhere where they have queried using driving licence as ID. Most newer issued driving licenses such as what Adrian would have actually have the same photo as what is on your passport as the dvla lift the photo from the passport agency.

One or the other I can see but taking both out...

Jersey issues its own passports - they aren't part of the UK. They also issue their own driving licences. As far as I can remember, they aren't part of the EU either. I'm sure there is no connection to the DVLA in terms of sharing photos, as Jersey has its own departments for issuing official documents. It even has is own currency, which can't be used outside of Jersey. They are entirely independent of the UK.

Its going back years now, but when I first got a Jersey driving licence, I had to get it from the Parish Hall of the parish I lived in (Jersey has 12 parishes - the areas the island is divided up into), so at that time anyway, your driving licence was quite specific to the holder in terms of matching to where you lived, so quite a good form of ID. I think you still have to hand over a photo at the time of applying - not sure they are even digitized yet!

I still have my old Jersey passport - it was similar to the UK one, but a different colour and specifically said "Jersey passport".

I don't think you'd need to do that in Jersey though. The entire island is only 9 miles long by 5 miles wide. It wouldn't take long to phone someone up to bring you your passport if you really needed it.

Plus, if you needed it for ID to buy drinks, you could just leave that pub and go to one of the very many others that would be in walking distance. Jersey is full of pubs, especially in the capital. You'll get two or three in the same street in places. A Jersey licence would be sufficient ID I'm sure, as only Jersey produces them - they'd be no market for mass production of fakes!

You are definitely right when you say he wouldn't need it. But not all habits are always rational. Then again (new thought), as I understand it (from far away) is that flying is a usual way to get to and from the island? You would need an official ID to do that, so if you fly somewhat regularly, you would want unquestionable ID on you.

Basically, I just think that having a passport with you can have so many personal reasons it's not a thing worth thinking about. Just my personal opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

You are definitely right when you say he wouldn't need it. But not all habits are always rational. Then again (new thought), as I understand it (from far away) is that flying is a usual way to get to and from the island? You would need an official ID to do that, so if you fly somewhat regularly, you would want unquestionable ID on you.

Basically, I just think that having a passport with you can have so many personal reasons it's not a thing worth thinking about. Just my personal opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

It depends. If you are travelling between Jersey and the UK, you don't need a passport. You are advised to take some form of photo ID, such as a driving licence in case someone at customs asks to see it. But there is no requirement to take - or even to have a passport - to travel to the UK from Jersey, or vice versa. Obviously, you would need one to go further than that.

My children have been to Jersey quite a few times from England, and none of them even own a passport.

They would only know he had his passport because he normally carries it, I would think. Otherwise, why would it occur to them? Or it could be an assumption simply because it isn't at home.

Other than for proof of age or as a means to travel, why else would he have a passport with him? I'm open to ideas. I just don't think he was running away. It makes no sense.

There's a UK expert in Jersey this week to help out.

Has anyone any news on Adrian? I keep hoping he will be found and the searches go on - but nothing ?

:rose: Thoughts for his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back