Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #3

Just watched Nancy Grace. When the Sheriff started talking he said (I put on closed caption) he was found one half mile. Then Nancy Grace said he was found one and a half miles from where he went missing. But regardless we all are relieve he was found. My heart is breaking. I bought my 4 yo granddaughter a gps tracking watch.
You can speak into your cell and the watch will repeat what I said. Also it has a alert button where the child can press that button and a alert beeping sounds and of course it's a gps device so you can find where the child is instantly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gF5kxTv-KmI

RIP Noah Fly with the angels sweetheart.

I think it has been established it was one and half miles though. A half mile would be a bit of an insult to all the resources used by anyone's standards, surely.

Anyway, peace to you all. I am off this case now. RIP sweet one.

The Jackson Sun is currently reporting 1 1/2 to 2 miles, WREG is saying about a mile, I have not seen anyone give a direct source for it being a mile and a half.

Maybe it was, but where that distance is coming from has not been established as far as I can tell.

I think the next 24 hours will bring more answers as to where and how Noah was found. Until then, we will absorb what we do know. :(

Yeah, I will stop talking about it, at some point it will be known exactly and then they can see if there is anything to be learned from it.

SAR teams are dedicated amazing teams made up of human and canine. They are not infallible. They are a tool and a part of a team. Each operation is a learning experience.

Noah will continue to inspire a community of service and compassion as his family expressed through their pastor.

Why couldn't the dogs find him? Honest question. I just don't understand!

I haven't followed that many cases like this. Will they eventually tell the public the exact place he was found or no? Will they release cause of death to the public?

I don't know if I can say he misspoke but I will say he wasn't clear in what he said. The fire and rescue guy (sorry can't recall his name) said that he was found in the expanded search area and was found the second time they went through it searching. Imo that could not be one half mile from where he went missing
JMOO.

bbm

The bolded part is getting overlooked IMO. They did search there before, or at least close to it. I'm thinking they did go quite far out to search for him initially, but not as 'thorough' - just to initially cover a lot of ground. Then later on they went over all areas again but slower and closer. That's what it sounds like to me. I don't think they were in the exact area/spot he was found, but close. I know one of the guys in the presser (I was listening, not watching, so idk who said it) said he was found right at the border of the search area.

Re: the way the searching was done and the criticism of it...

I will agree that after the initial shock and sadness wear off, those in charge of such things should re-examine their protocols to see if any improvements, changes, etc., can be made to incorporate what they've learned in this investigation into Noah's disappearance. As hard as they all worked, I'm sure even they'd all agree there's always room for learning new strategies, deploying new tactics, and re-examining data.

I'm not a professional searcher, and I won't pretend to know first hand what it's like. I also won't run them down for not finding him sooner. We don't know how long he was in that clearing. He could have reached that area last Thursday afternoon for all we know - and if that's the case - he likely succumbed to the elements that night and even searches at the first light on Friday wouldn't have brought him home alive, had they found him. But that's all pure speculation of course.

They searched meticulously for him. A little, tiny guy in a great big wooded area. They had to move methodically so as not to miss anything, and they couldn't have moved any faster than they did, in case they overlooked something. Now I suppose if they would have had 20,000 people out in those woods they may have found him sooner, but they didn't.

I believe they did the very best they could, with what they had, what they know, and the elements & time working against them.

moo.

^^^ This. And just to put the search into perspective, one acre is 43,560 square feet. My house is slightly larger than 4350 square feet so roughly one acre is 10 of my houses. 10 acres is 100 of my houses, 100 acres is 1,000 of my houses, and so on.

1.5 miles is just under 1,000 acres - or (roughly, I'm rounding up) about 435,600,000 square feet. That's like searching nearly 10,000 large(ish) houses. That's 435+ million square feet.

Now, factor in the terrain, the weather, the darkness and one tiny lost little boy running in an unpredictable way and it becomes a helluva search. I agree that SAR, CARD, CUE, and other agencies need to study this search and hopefully improve the way they conduct future searches. But let's not forget that it was a massive undertaking. This one is the largest in terms of people involved that I've ever followed.

You can bet that all the searchers, professional and volunteer, will be second-guessing their decisions for a long time. Some will blame themselves that Noah wasn't found alive. My heart goes out to them and to the family who has lost a precious child this week.

Does anybody know if a legit was started? Or I should ask, if a formal fund/PayPal account gets started, I would like to contribute. They'll need funds for his funeral. Oh my the tears are coming down again.

There are 9 family approved FB pages regarding Noah. One of them is Search for Noah: Volunteers and Donations. On that FB page is a link to the only family approved donation page. <modsnip>

If you go to the Search for Noah FB page, the tagged post at the top will list the 9 family approved FB pages. Mariah Robertson, who posted the list on that page, is Noah's aunt.

I haven't followed that many cases like this. Will they eventually tell the public the exact place he was found or no? Will they release cause of death to the public?
Yes, they usually will release the COD. They probably won't release where they found him, but the family has the option to do so if they choose. They may want to keep it to themselves.

So sad he was found this way but grateful his family will not have to eternally wonder where he is. They know he is with God.
Bless all the searchers and volunteers and most of all pray for those that found him. That has to be devastating.

I can honestly say, I don't have children of my own, nor do I necessarily want them. I may be too quick to judge this world and the people in it but after seeing some of the comments towards Noah's family in regards to his adventurous tragedy, I think I am thankful. I can't even imagine what it would be like in this day and age w/ all the technology, the social media and all the hurtful things that people do to each other for no reason. I can say, however, I am truly amazed by the level of support, love, compassion, motivation, etc, etc, etc... From the surrounding community and family of such a brave young boy and his loving family and it gives me hope. Not for wanting a child of my own so much, but that there are still people in this world who make life so amazing and I am so so so very sorry you didn't get the chance to see it. Maybe you are now, and I hope to God you are. This last week of your life is not how it should have been and I hope that you don't see those last few days of your life from above as misery, anguish and emptiness/or being all alone. I pray you didn't suffer and can look proudly down on your family, your community and you world and know, you Sir, are an inspiration to so many and have touched hearts across the globe. There is a candle lit in MN here for you tonight. Run free, beautiful boy and rest in peace. Trust me, there are plenty of wonderful people (and animals) watching over you now too. [emoji5]

There are 3 different distances being used, the Sheriff says a half mile, the other guy in the press conference says a mile plus, and some media sites are reporting one and a half miles.

Posting ahead without reading ahead so this has likely already been addressed. In case not, the problem here is the way the sheriff speaks and the way folks interpreted that. On the periscope video he most definitely says "one half mile". Did he mean a mile and a half, or did he actually mean a half of a mile? I believe he meant exactly what he said, one half of a mile. Then the man next to him (on his left - sorry I don't know his name) said Noah was found just at the EDGE of the area they were searching - they'd searched that area before but he was all the way at the very edge of that - where they had not yet searched.

The one thing I have learned from Noah and his disappearance is that while there may be some great science and protocol out there for these kinds of searches, the variable of the victim/missing person, the terrain, and the weather make each situation so unique. Given that, it is hard to fathom that they found him within a week. The work of all of the LE, SAR and volunteers was so remarkable.

Another poster, in another thread a little while ago, wrote that prevention is the only assured way that we can protect kids in the woods or out in nature. I believe this is so true. By the time you have to rescue someone, time is not on your side and neither are the myriad of variables.

I wish the family peace and healing. I can only imagine how his grandmother is feeling tonight. I am not sure I would ever recover.
Those who searched, professional or volunteer, have my utmost gratitude and sympathy as they are surely traumatized by this event.

Posting ahead without reading ahead so this has likely already been addressed. In case not, the problem here is the way the sheriff speaks and the way folks interpreted that. On the periscope video he most definitely says "one half mile". Did he mean a mile and a half, or did he actually mean a half of a mile? I believe he meant exactly what he said, one half of a mile. Then the man next to him (on his left - sorry I don't know his name) said Noah was found just at the EDGE of the area they were searching - they'd searched that area before but he was all the way at the very edge of that - where they had not yet searched.

That. I forgot the exact wording. He said edge.

There are 3 different distances being used, the Sheriff says a half mile, the other guy in the press conference says a mile plus, and some media sites are reporting one and a half miles.

This helps clear up some of the confusion for me, at least:

"His body was found just 1.5 miles from his grandmother's home and about half a mile from where he was last seen, WBBJ-TV reported."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ence-search-noah-chamberlin-article-1.2504469

Poor Noah, what a terrible way to die.

In the hope that lots of people see this thread - this is the device I mentioned way back on thread one.

It might just save a life in future, in a situation exactly like this. Buzzer alerts the carer when the child has gone beyond 30 feet of them. A buzzer can be made to sound from the device the child has, making it easier to locate them.

I must admit, I still can't get my head around going for a walk with 2 children and losing one of them. I just hope that this link might help someone else in future.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/toddler+tag+child+locator.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn

I'm ordering one.

This is so hard, just read the news. Bless his family and please let them find some peace. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

In my opinion, we, and perhaps the searchers too, were struck by the imminent dangers of the terrain and perhaps focused initially on the hilly, rugged, sink-holed and flooded parts of the grid. Unsafe places where Noah may lay hurt. Nowhere in all my imaginings, was he laying is sweet little head in a clearing of green, possibly unhurt but cold, some distance from the intense searching in the woods.

That certainly explains a few things.

It also implies they went for a walk at least a mile long, two considering the return trip. Must have lost sight of him at their furthest point away from the house. It's almost like he kept going forward when they turned back.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back