Colborn and Lenk... a couple of questions for experts

He got the plate number and said "99 Toyota" ... he never got the model or the color from dispatch.

As he may have wrote down 99 Toyota from his call with Weigert, again verifying that he had that info correct.

I find his after the fact report writing extremely shady, especially when he was busted for it before in the law suit. You would think he would be a little more conscientious of it when a high profile case with SA comes up again. Bottom line they were dealing with SA and once again pulling the same tricks. No one behaved conscientiously. What is that supposed to tell the public?

99 toyota.jpg

This is a 99 toyota.

The make and color is pretty important when calling to "verify" information. JMO

Right. So he verified the plate, and the 99 Toyota, but didn't care that it was a RAV4 or the color.

Also, in his re-direct, yep, he says he was calling to verify it. If that was the case, he should have just right out said that the first time he was asked.... not after a 15 minute break and time to talk to Kratz.

Something else I noticed when skimming back through his testimony.... He never wrote a summary until June 29th 2006 for the evening of November 3rd. Guess what else he was doing on June 29th? Going over his testimony with Kratz for a pretrial hearing in August. Sure glad Kratz was there to make sure Colburn did his job :rolleyes:

Please show me proof he got a 15min break before redirect in which time he was advised by Kratz. I'm sorry but that's a bold assumption. The transcripts actually show a break in which the witness is taken off the stand, the jury taken out while the lawyers have a bench conference. At the end of the bench conference the jury is seated and the witness is brought back.
Perhaps in that 15mins he did have a chance to think, again I see nothing wrong with that either. He was discussing something that happened years earlier and a in a high stress situation.

View attachment 88094

This is a 99 toyota.

The make and color is pretty important when calling to "verify" information. JMO

Is there a Mazda Rav 4 or a Honda Rav 4 I don't know about? Or is a Rav 4 always a Toyota? Perhaps he was sure about the green Rav 4 from his convo with Weigert. All I'm saying is he gave a fine explanation for wanting to confirm he had written down the correct plate for TH. Anything else is conspiracy theory and it takes a lot to convince me that he had stumbled on a vehicle of a gril who had been missing for 3 days hours after she was reported missing. Where was the vehicle in all those days that no one else had discovered it and Colborn ended up being so lucky...

What are your thoughts on LENK assisting in the investigation?
( after being ordered not to )

And testimony from LENK specifically contradicting, NM, I won't sugarcoat it, LENK outright LIED more than ONCE under oath. Thoughts?

And the note to Sherry Culhane, (Put her in the garage ). Any comment on that?

( For anyone who has a hard time believe LE would never conspire against a person, or help move evidence along )
Please show me proof he got a 15min break before redirect in which time he was advised by Kratz. I'm sorry but that's a bold assumption. The transcripts actually show a break in which the witness is taken off the stand, the jury taken out while the lawyers have a bench conference. At the end of the bench conference the jury is seated and the witness is brought back.
Perhaps in that 15mins he did have a chance to think, again I see nothing wrong with that either. He was discussing something that happened years earlier and a in a high stress situation.

:cheers:

Apparently,
to some it is acceptable.
I find his after the fact report writing extremely shady, especially when he was busted for it before in the law suit. You would think he would be a little more conscientious of it when a high profile case with SA comes up again. Bottom line they were dealing with SA and once again pulling the same tricks. No one behaved conscientiously. What is that supposed to tell the public?

What are your thoughts on LENK assisting in the investigation?
( after being ordered not to )

And testimony from LENK specifically contradicting, NM, I won't sugarcoat it, LENK outright LIED more than ONCE under oath. Thoughts?

And the note to Sherry Culhane, (Put her in the garage ). Any comment on that?

( For anyone who has a hard time believe LE would never conspire against a person, or help move evidence along )

I honestly wish Manitowoc county had stayed out of the investigation completely. Unfortunately the results would've been the same IMO
Why is it so hard to believe that some people believe SA is guilty.
What are you referring to about the note and SC? Please link to it.
Again I don't have a hard time believing that things happen involving police, I just don't believe it happened in this case. I have never said police are perfect and don't lie and do bad things.
I believe SA committed this murder because IMO the conspiracy theory makes no sense. Again I have a hard time believing that everyone (by everyone I mean the real killer and the police) was working on framing SA at the same time. That is like the universe lining up perfectly all in favor of the real killer and against SA. I just don't believe that when there's a much simpler version, that makes sense.

Good morning folks!

I know there is a popular theory out there that Manitowoc sheriff's dept framed SA.

If this is to be believed, then it would be safe to assume that Dep. Colburn and Lt. Lenk would have been the main guys to accomplish this frame job.

So my questions are these:

1) Do we know if these two individuals knew each other personally and communicated often?
2) If not, then is it possible that their personal phone records can be pulled from Oct - Nov 2005?
3) If records can be pulled and we see calls made to each others' personal phones... wouldn't that implicate them in a conspiracy against SA... as these two start communicating around Halloween 2005 out of the blue when they wouldn't have any good reason to do so, is extremely suspicious?

I was just thinking about this stuff from SA point of view...

What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.

I think your second question is compelling and those answers would be interesting, to say the least! The only problem would be proving what they were discussing during that time. I suppose one could argue because of their professional relationship, it might make sense that they would begin communicating more frequently during an active investigation (?) If there was a correlation there it would say a lot to me personally, though!

I just heard that the infamous activist group "Anonymous" are going to be releasing phone records between Colburn and Lenk.

Let's see if that actually happens and what comes out of it.

Good morning folks!

I know there is a popular theory out there that Manitowoc sheriff's dept framed SA.

If this is to be believed, then it would be safe to assume that Dep. Colburn and Lt. Lenk would have been the main guys to accomplish this frame job.

So my questions are these:

1) Do we know if these two individuals knew each other personally and communicated often?
2) If not, then is it possible that their personal phone records can be pulled from Oct - Nov 2005?
3) If records can be pulled and we see calls made to each others' personal phones... wouldn't that implicate them in a conspiracy against SA... as these two start communicating around Halloween 2005 out of the blue when they wouldn't have any good reason to do so, is extremely suspicious?

I was just thinking about this stuff from SA point of view...

What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.

Colburn, Lenk and Remiker were certified forensic techs and claim Calumet county used them because they were short handed on that type of trained staff.
Lenk personally trained Colburn in some of the forensic techniques. A little too convenient? or a non issue?

I think if the framing defense is going to hold water a little more investigation should take place into these guys and what motivated their potential actions.

Colburn, Lenk and Remiker were certified forensic techs and claim Calumet county used them because they were short handed on that type of trained staff.
Lenk personally trained Colburn in some of the forensic techniques. A little too convenient? or a non issue?

I think if the framing defense is going to hold water a little more investigation should take place into these guys and what motivated their potential actions.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! We can't act like they made eye contact at the crime scene and worked together perfectly from there. There has to be a way to establish a relationship -- and I still think it would have to go beyond the phone records. But the records are a great place to start that aspect of the investigation. Do you guys think that will happen or that Zellner is working on it?

BBM~ I believe their motivation is loud and clear!
1. a 36 million lawsuit
2. embarrassment
3. loss of career

Something else that stood out to me was when the one officer called in to the dispatch center to get TH's license plate number and he described her vehicle. Well unless he was looking right at her vehicle how would he have known what kind it was? Im assuming they had put out a bulletin of some kind to look for it so maybe thats how but he said on the stand he never described the vehicle and they played the tape back for him and then his story changed.

I just heard that the infamous activist group "Anonymous" are going to be releasing phone records between Colburn and Lenk.

Let's see if that actually happens and what comes out of it.

They claimed that over a month ago. Has something new been released?

Yeah--It's there--it looks like it may have been pushed down when they transported the car.

the damage to her car was not done by transport. Here you can tell that wheel well is missing.
attachment.php

Also this next picture shows the damage to the car in the crime lab and the way her wheel well looked when she stood in front of her car for that picture is the well on the right.
attachment.php

Something else that stood out to me was when the one officer called in to the dispatch center to get TH's license plate number and he described her vehicle. Well unless he was looking right at her vehicle how would he have known what kind it was? Im assuming they had put out a bulletin of some kind to look for it so maybe thats how but he said on the stand he never described the vehicle and they played the tape back for him and then his story changed.

I actually explained this further awhile ago, if you read his testimony on redirect he explains himself. Someone commented that "sure after a 15min break and talking with Kratz he knew what to say." That's not true though. There was a break before redirect but it was for a bench conference and then the witness and jury were reseated. There was no time for him to talk with Kratz but maybe he did get a chance to calm down and a moment to think. Testifying is nerve wracking and can be intense. Especially when being questioned by a lawyer who is accusing you of framing his client.

Anyways he said sometimes you are in your cruiser when taking a call and quickly jot something down and need to confirm what you have is correct. He had talked to Det Weignet, who was handling the missing persons report and was asked to go to the Averys since it was one of the last locations they had for her.
So for me that is a reasonable explanation for why he called in and much more plausible than he had stumbled on her car merely hours after she was reported missing. We are after all talking about a woman who had actually been missing for 3 days. So that car would've gone unnoticed for those days until Colborn suddenly found it at the perfect time and before anyone else to set up SA.

IMO it's much more reasonable to conclude that her car never left the Avery property the day she was last seen.

And yes officers do call in license plates for verification purposes without a vehicle in front of them, I've seen it done.

Lots of evidence was collected after BD was interviewed. Check the lab reports for all of it. The quarry was searched and the hood latch was swabbed for sure.
the hood latch was also mentioned by the investigators first. I have been reading it all listening to it all. I suggest you do the same. GO listen to every single one of BD's interviews starting with the very first recorded one in Nov 2005. Every single bit of information that was important for him to say it himself was told by the investigators. Even him telling them that he went to go get the mail they twisted it pulling out a letter from his box for SA. . Everything that kid was turned twisted and fed to him to fit the states theory of the crime. Also they did not even swab that latch until one month after the confession. IMO not until they realized the one lil bit of evidence they had, THE BULLET, that they also told BD she was shot in the head. Was contaminated. It was only then that they decided to swab the hood latch on april 3 2006. Not to mention they knew back in Nov that the hood and battery was disconnected, why did they need to wait so long to swab it. Shouldnt they have swab it before they even opened it at the Crime Lab? where are those swabs. 6 months later its swabbed. The only statement that I believe of BD's is the one he wrote out to his own Investigator the same as he told the police same as he wrote to the judge. those are all consistent statements. However when the police start feeding him information the state wanted to hear he becomes confused and cant keep up on the many lies they want him to admit too. Thus his statements about the crime being inconsistent.

From Wiegert's summary from the evening of Nov 3rd.

colborn lenk.PNG

Someone called Lenk to prompt him to phone Wiegert.

According to Colborn himself, the thought DID cross his mind that he could be added as a defendant in the lawsuit. Page 163 Day 7
Colborn concern page 163.PNG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back