Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy Hayden is airing his interview with Juan tonight on Phoenix 10 Live tonight. They are at PV prison. Something I just learned from that same site on youtube, Troy had his first news cast job in Yreka, Ca. Who would have guessed. It's on the youtube video about Troy and his being a child star and how he met his wife. Truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Do you suppose the monster knew about this and that is why she kept giving him special interviews?

I think Troy got interviews because Killer believed he liked her. A thought she was hot kind of like. MOO.

Am up to chapter 19 and must say that I am now thoroughly convinced that Nurmi's strategy from the beginning of the trial was to subtly destroy JA (or get even with her for all of the grief she caused him) through his actions/non-actions of her defense, most notably, NOT questioning Daryl Brewer about the loan of the gas cans! He had to have understood the damage JM did to DB on cross and yet on re-direct, Nurmi didn't even broach the subject or try to do damage control. I really think that his strategy and writing the book is his way of saying a big FU to JA! JMHO

I think you're being way too kind. I think Nurmi didn't have much of a strategy beyond smearing Travis, although admittedly JA's claim of self-defense didn't give him much room to maneuver. JM took him by surprise with the gas cans evidence, as he knew he would, but Nurmi's only response was to ignore the damning evidence on his redirect of DB, hoping (I guess) that the jury would simply forget the gas cans. Maybe JA's pattern of wishful thinking was by then contagious. :) As for the book, I agree. It's his payback to her, but I wonder if, like his courtroom strategy, it will backfire.

JM and the May 26th text confrontation.

Interesting, the difference in focus by many of us that than of JM. Makes sense too. What the fight was about isn't what was most relevant to him at all.

He was extremely concerned by TA's language, especially the 3 hole wonder smackdown, because of the effect hearing those words would have on a jury.

He believes - at this point in the story- that the defense is moving away from ninjas onto vilifying Travis. His take on the May 26 thing is from that POV.

Flores was monitoring the female detective's turn with the killer. JM says they knew later but not then that she'd not bond with a woman detective because she had a much more difficult time manipulating women.

It sounds like the power of this book and the beauty is that it exposes the psycho completely, the one thing psychopaths cannot bear. Unlike Nurmi's book which was really an angry rant of hatred.

Is anyone still waiting to get a book delivery today?

Please let me know if there's still interest in having tidbits posted. I'm happy to do that, but will otherwise just go immerse myself in the book....

I would appreciate the tidbits. I am on chapter 5 but I am having a problem with blurred vision. I cannot increase the book print but can the ipad....so I can read here. Will have to have DH find the magnifier.

Thanks. But I dont want you to if others rather not.

Nurmi and JM seem to agree on at least this one thing: the family interviews the killer's first attorneys turned over to the State (they didn't have to, according to Nurmi, iirc) made a critical difference.

Stuff we didn't hear includes her brother saying she'd call mom or dad and scream and shriek at them out of the blue then hang up. When she returned to Yreka her father rented her a storage shed and her response was to scream at him and berate him as stupid for renting a size that didn't please her.

To a person, everyone in her family had negative things to say about the goddess.

I just found something on twitter. It's a tweet from CMJA about Juan and his book.https://t.co/UQsc0ByEY8 They say she had someone post this comment: "A reality check is in order as Juan begins peddling his book making appearances & patting himself on the back 4 a job well done?" Sure sounds like something she would say.
I hope someone's calling the warden. She's thumbing her nose at the rules, and she's just been disciplined for breaking them.

I think you're being way too kind. I think Nurmi didn't have much of a strategy beyond smearing Travis, although admittedly JA's claim of self-defense didn't give him much room to maneuver. JM took him by surprise with the gas cans evidence, as he knew he would, but Nurmi's only response was to ignore the damning evidence on his redirect of DB, hoping (I guess) that the jury would simply forget the gas cans. Maybe JA's pattern of wishful thinking was by then contagious. :) As for the book, I agree. It's his payback to her, but I wonder if, like his courtroom strategy, it will backfire.

I really pondered over your post - mainly because what you say is correct; however, (and I did not highlight certain sections as I as reading that really stood out to me so at this point am unable to point to specifics - but will go back later to find) there are several passages that JM pointed out where Nurmi was slacking off and it puzzled JM as to why. So at this point I began to wonder if these were deliberate slights by Nurmi against JA but just pushing the envelop legally enough that JA would not have grounds to stand on for ineffective counsel.

Yes, his main strategy was* to slime TA but was that an excuse/cover up on his part to hide his real motive of defending her just enough based on what she wanted her defense to be (slandering TA) vs. paying her back by not aggressively defending certain evidence, knowing that it would damage her in the long run? I don't know, it just struck me that there was an ulterior motive on his part.

Pg 82-83.

Her explanations for how the pics could be there. About switching memory cards (Geevee!!!) JM says- " wholly implausible."

Which part of that is "totally implausible"? That it could theoretically be done? Or that she did it?

Is Juan supposed to be on FOX with Megan tonight .. right now at 9PM?

Is anyone still waiting to get a book delivery today?

Please let me know if there's still interest in having tidbits posted. I'm happy to do that, but will otherwise just go immerse myself in the book....

I don't have a book..... Yes, on tidbits.

I really pondered over your post - mainly because what you say is correct; however, (and I did not highlight certain sections as I as reading that really stood out to me so at this point am unable to point to specifics - but will go back later to find) there are several passages that JM pointed out where Nurmi was slacking off and it puzzled JM as to why. So at this point I began to wonder if these were deliberate slights by Nurmi against JA but just pushing the envelop legally enough that JA would not have grounds to stand on for ineffective counsel.

Yes, his main strategy was* to slime TA but was that an excuse/cover up on his part to hide his real motive of defending her just enough based on what she wanted her defense to be (slandering TA) vs. paying her back by not aggressively defending certain evidence, knowing that it would damage her in the long run? I don't know, it just struck me that there was an ulterior motive on his part.

I can see your point, but I think Nurmi's drive was to win, above anything else. He not only hated the sadistic murderer, but also Juan. Talk about cognitive dissonance! LOL While all the while projecting his entire upstanding raison d'etre to be his stance against the death penalty.

Downloaded the book on my nook and at work for the next 10 hours so I'm stoked!

It sounds like the power of this book and the beauty is that it exposes the psycho completely, the one thing psychopaths cannot bear. Unlike Nurmi's book which was really an angry rant of hatred.

I so so agree. JM saw her through and through for exactly who she is because he didn't feel the slightest bit threatened by her. His prosecution of her was not personal in any way.

He has the intellectual ability and the temperament to be able to take a step back and marvel at her sociopathic abilities, and to feel fully engaged by the professional challenge of outmaneuvering her.

I don't think he feels any personal contempt for her, rather, what i hear is his appreciation for the absurdity of her, this person who she demands to be known as who just doesn't exist.

As he said, he sees her as a bad waitress who doesn't possess enough character to take responsibility for serving cold coffee, much less to act upon making those clouds in cold coffee dreams of herself real.

I'm curious to know what you and other readers think of the letter from Travis that JA made sure to include in the box. Do you think it's genuine? To my eyes, it contains at least one glaring Jodi-ism, or thesaurus horror in Wing Ding's (??) words.

ETA: Just to be clear, I mean the letter in the box that contained the receipts that JA believed would back up her alibi, and the same receipts that contain the incriminating third gas can that neither she nor the DT thought about.

Where is that letter? I've never seen it.

Also, off topic, I'm back to my 10-year old MacBook. It's even goofier than my new one. If I mess up posts, please be forgiving.

Which part of that is "totally implausible"? That it could theoretically be done? Or that she did it?

He doesn't specify which. Sadly, at least so far, he doesn't address those other 90 odd pics on the memory stick.

The cops knocked on her gparents door in the AM after watching her pack to flee until about midnight the night before.

They told her they needed to speak to her about the robbery, the theft of her grandpa's gun, and asked her to step outside. She stepped outside and bam- the handcuffs went right on and she was arrested.

The last moments of her life she'll ever be free, spent being conned by cops using her fake burglary lies against her.....

EF must have done that interrogation on no sleep, since he flew up from Mesa when it was clear she was planning to escape and that it was imminent? He had to have flown up that night, and Yreka is complicated to get to. Maybe flew into Redding or Medford and had a deputy meet him? But there's a change of plane in there as well.

Pg 127 (of 375).

From family interviews what emerged for JM was a composite of "a churlish grammar tyrant who was mean to her mother and seemed to derive pleasure from belittling and correcting others."

Her family perceived her as reacting unpredictably, even when people were being kind to her. One example- she told her mother she'd cut her hair, her mother said she bet it looked good, and the killer went off on her, screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie