NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm too lazy to go back and sort this all out right now from the released police reports, but my recollection is:

1) Karena and Faith left The Thrill together in their car ~2:30am
2) sometime thereafter 2 of the 5 individuals they associated with at the club left together in a car, and 3 other individuals associated with K & F left in a another car
3) one of those (latter 2) cars is known to have stopped at Wendy's that morning.
4) I think(?) I know the names of those 5 individuals, but what has never been clear to me is how they divided up in the cars (which two were together, and which three); also unsure which of the 2 cars stopped at Wendys?

Does that much at least essentially sound right to someone (straight from the police reports), or is my memory now off?

I'm too lazy to go back and sort this all out right now from the released police reports, but my recollection is:

2) sometime thereafter 2 of the 5 individuals they associated with at the club left together in a car, and 3 other individuals associated with K & F left in a another car
3) one of those (latter 2) cars is known to have stopped at Wendy's that morning.
4) I think(?) I know the names of those 5 individuals, but what has never been clear to me is how they divided up in the cars (which two were together, and which three); also unsure which of the 2 cars stopped at Wendys?

Does that much at least essentially sound right to someone (straight from the police reports), or is my memory now off?

Other than that I'm not sure that it's not clear how the people were divided amongst the cars, and I'm also not sure that it isn't known which car stopped at Wendy's, that all sounds right.

If I read and deciphered correctly the black BMW went to Wendy's. I could go back to docs and reference the page.

I CHECKED****page 96, 4th full paragraph mentions car and page 97 1st full paragraph mentions Wendy's stop.

If I read and deciphered correctly the black BMW went to Wendy's. I could go back to docs and reference the page.

I CHECKED****page 96, 4th full paragraph mentions car and page 97 1st full paragraph mentions Wendy's stop.

Thanks, that spurred me to go back and check my own disorganized notes, and I too have the BMW going to Wendy's, and probably containing three individuals from The Thrill, although there's still some possible discrepancy in my notes as to whether the BMW arrived and left Thrill with the same 3 people (and whether the 2-person car arrived and left with same 2). I imagine LE sorted all this out, though, with interrogations that weren't released.
Different questions: the voicemail mentions duct tape being used, but I don't recall any mention of duct tape in police reports; anyone else remember or find it?
Also, is it safe to assume (I don't understand technology) :-( that IF the timestamp on the voicemail were wrong, the timestamp on later/other text messages can still be correct; one glitch doesn't imply further glitches?

Another thing about the glitch- I seem to remember IPhones having this glitch badly (mine always read that it was South America) is the HTC on the report Faiths? Also I totally missed the fact they went to Wendy's. How do we know the note was written on a wendys bag? (the Wendy's is within walking distance of the apartment complex and on the road that I would take back to Durham, which goes right past the complex) I went back through the docs- I was able to get three last names (Wright, Bell, and Byrd) and we know the other two (Beatley and Mccrary) Whos BMW is it?! Who was rooming with who? Whos apartment did KR go to that morning and why isn't that mentioned in the docs? Was BE friends with anyone involved?

Theory: could KR have seen FH text BE and gotten belligerent, hit her with a bottle which knocked her out and then came the succession of calls to have someone help her either finish or tell her what to do (hence the law students)? The boys come to her rescue and she leaves the note in case FH wakes up. They are all still in the apartment when FH wakes up. They have all been drinking and Faith wakes up mad, and everything comes to a head? Sometimes teen horomones and emotions paired with alcohol can perpetuate situations. This is just a theory, I don't even know if I believe it.

BMW is Bell's.
And KR went to apartment of Beatley and McCrary.
Also there's some mention of who's rooming with who in some of the files released but it's a little bit complicated for me to parse out.

To Answer a few questions from info out there that some posters have asked...

If you watch the CrimeWatch show that the reporter did on Faith, it is apparent, at least to me, that the VM recorded some part of the crime that resulted in her murder. When the expert is shown and his credentials are given...this guy is no lightweight. He is working with equipment that local LE doesn't even have. Some of the equipment has only been developed AFTER the murder. He has done 1000's of these and was instrumental in convicting a woman of murder based on his analysis. So, I'm thinking he knows what he is doing and the time stamp error is just that..an error.

The mention of a "glove"....Glove is also another word for condom

It states on CrimeWatch that local LE HAS requested the VM analysis and it was recently given to them.

To the poster that said the family wasn't screaming about the VM for 2 years so it's probably nothing...watch the CrimeWatch show. FH family did not even know how she DIED for over 2 years! They have been kept in the dark about basically everything. On the CW show, they are hearing the VM for the very first time! This is just in the last few weeks! It is awful to see her brother hear it for the first time and ask "What has LE been doing for 3 years if they have had this tape too?"

I would like to know how a previous poster can state that KR is "still around"? Is this verified? Or are you just assuming. KR left NC quite abruptly after the murder and has always refused to make a statement. Crimewatch reporter tried to talk to Eriq and he was kicked off his property by his mother and then followed by Eriq in a car for several miles. I believe he makes mention of trying to contact KR in New Jersey but she did not return messages.

To Answer a few questions from info out there that some posters have asked...

If you watch the CrimeWatch show that the reporter did on Faith, it is apparent, at least to me, that the VM recorded some part of the crime that resulted in her murder. When the expert is shown and his credentials are given...this guy is no lightweight. He is working with equipment that local LE doesn't even have. Some of the equipment has only been developed AFTER the murder. He has done 1000's of these and was instrumental in convicting a woman of murder based on his analysis. So, I'm thinking he knows what he is doing and the time stamp error is just that..an error.

The mention of a "glove"....Glove is also another word for condom

It states on CrimeWatch that local LE HAS requested the VM analysis and it was recently given to them.

To the poster that said the family wasn't screaming about the VM for 2 years so it's probably nothing...watch the CrimeWatch show. FH family did not even know how she DIED for over 2 years! They have been kept in the dark about basically everything. On the CW show, they are hearing the VM for the very first time! This is just in the last few weeks! It is awful to see her brother hear it for the first time and ask "What has LE been doing for 3 years if they have had this tape too?"

I would like to know how a previous poster can state that KR is "still around"? Is this verified? Or are you just assuming. KR left NC quite abruptly after the murder and has always refused to make a statement. Crimewatch reporter tried to talk to Eriq and he was kicked off his property by his mother and then followed by Eriq in a car for several miles. I believe he makes mention of trying to contact KR in New Jersey but she did not return messages.

I don't think the family is hearing the VM for the first time on the show as the friend who was on the receiving end was someone known to the family and gave them access to the VM (at least that's my understanding). They are hearing the "enhancement" for the first time.

As to the expert, I've worked a lot with voice and image processing, and there is no way to know for sure how close you are getting to the true signal when you try to enhance images or audio, which generally involves trying to untangle and amplify signal which appears against noise (visual or auditory). He could be very good at his job and still not get it right. There is as much art to signal processing as science and there was no mention of how his methods were validated. Furthermore, I'm very put off by how casually he dismissed the time stamp. Maybe the time stamp was wrong, or maybe not. I tend to believe that if the person on the receiving end had a different time stamp on the VM, the show would have made a very big deal about it.

Arlo West cleaned up the VM..His credentials are pretty stellar and has testified and been verified as a audio/voice expert in courts of law

http://creativeforensic.com/

I must have misunderstood and that makes sense that they are hearing the cleaned up version for the first time. It was less than 2 weeks ago that they heard it and it does give me hope when it was reported that LE requested Mr. West's analysis. I hope it is useful

Gasparoli has now posted the "enhanced" voicemail here:

http://www.gaspowrites.com/2016/02/blog-post.html

(mind you this is "enhanced" -- one can only imagine how poor the raw audio must be)

I'd certainly remain cautious about this audio... Without knowing more about about his actual training or formal/educational background, I don't know how "stellar" the audio-forensics guy is... (his webpage isn't that convincing & working on big cases isn't that difficult if you have the right contacts). IF he was sent this tape out-of-the-blue and asked to enhance/analyze it, that would be one thing, but more likely he was told, here's a tape from the Faith Hedgepeth murder to work on, and he researched the case and was then "primed" to hear various things -- that may not be the case, but from what little we know it could be.
And finally like Skigirl says, the timestamp is not a dismissable problem -- it needs a solid explanation. I'm still hoping otherwise, but for now am increasingly doubtful that this voicemail can break the case.

Gasparoli has now posted the "enhanced" voicemail here:

http://www.gaspowrites.com/2016/02/blog-post.html

(mind you this is "enhanced" -- one can only imagine how poor the raw audio must be)

I'd certainly remain cautious about this audio... Without knowing more about about his actual training or formal/educational background, I don't know how "stellar" the audio-forensics guy is... (his webpage isn't that convincing & working on big cases isn't that difficult if you have the right contacts). IF he was sent this tape out-of-the-blue and asked to enhance/analyze it, that would be one thing, but more likely he was told, here's a tape from the Faith Hedgepeth murder to work on, and he researched the case and was then "primed" to hear various things -- that may not be the case, but from what little we know it could be.
And finally like Skigirl says, the timestamp is not a dismissable problem -- it needs a solid explanation. I'm still hoping otherwise, but for now am increasingly doubtful that this voicemail can break the case.

I closed my eyes while listening to it the second time. Without the captions, I heard nothing like what was in them. I actually did hear music, not someone rapping to cover something up, like it was music from the club with a lot of talking and other incidental noise around it. I'm even less convinced than I was before, and very disappointed.

I closed my eyes while listening to it the second time. Without the captions, I heard nothing like what was in them. I actually did hear music, not someone rapping to cover something up, like it was music from the club with a lot of talking and other incidental noise around it. I'm even less convinced than I was before, and very disappointed.

Completely agree. Definitely sounds like the Booty Wurk song by T-Pain playing, which is what I have always thought. The only parts that to me sounded even remotely like the transcript were the female voice saying "Whyyyyy" and "I'm gonna kick your face ***** I figured out thats ******** Don't ever think I would have believed you"

I'm not convinced at this point.

bbm

Oh boy, so am I. How could anyone convince anyone that the recording was in a certain place with specific persons talking?
Who would have the b*lls to try to present this to a jury -- or much more difficult -- to get the judge to admit it -- I honestly think it would weaken the state's case. How do you get what sounds like a NYC subway ramp into that trial??? It sounds mainly like pipes squeaking, IMO, and somebody rubbing a balloon, and just a bunch of kids in a large room with lots of echo thereby distorting what is said, played or heard. Would a judge allow it? What proof do we have of the location and the participants??

This won't get us there folks, IMHO.
icon9.png

As for the butt dial...I can, with eyes closed, distinctly hear "Rosie, Eriq, I can't believe you did it, Don't be a *****, put up a fight, let me go, Ow, Faith, Big Mike, get off of me, and a few other things. Other statements I'd have to rely on what the expert said but I would not be entirely convinced of their interpretation.
Can anyone give me a link to the autopsy report? I seem to recall seeing it and being surprised there was no TOD, and it was very skimpy as far as reports go.
Could the butt dial be BEFORE the murder actually happened? The prelude so to speak? Since no one has TOD, how can we be sure of anything? How can we know if FAith was already dead when Karena called for a ride at 4:30 am. Everyone is basing time on that fact instead of a stated TOD from coroner. There ARE ways to tell an approx. TOD for heaven's sake. Why is everyone assuming that since Karena said she left at 4:30, the murder happened after that? It could have already been over. Frankly, I don't think anyone should take Karena's word over anything. The fact that her internet presence has been virtually wiped clean, WTH is going on? Just odd. I pray that LE does SOMETHING with the voice file. For them to admit that they haven't even analyzed the whole thing yet is appalling.

As for the butt dial...I can, with eyes closed, distinctly hear "Rosie, Eriq, I can't believe you did it, Don't be a *****, put up a fight, let me go, Ow, Faith, Big Mike, get off of me, and a few other things. Other statements I'd have to rely on what the expert said but I would not be entirely convinced of their interpretation.
Can anyone give me a link to the autopsy report? I seem to recall seeing it and being surprised there was no TOD, and it was very skimpy as far as reports go.
Could the butt dial be BEFORE the murder actually happened? The prelude so to speak? Since no one has TOD, how can we be sure of anything? How can we know if FAith was already dead when Karena called for a ride at 4:30 am. Everyone is basing time on that fact instead of a stated TOD from coroner. There ARE ways to tell an approx. TOD for heaven's sake. Why is everyone assuming that since Karena said she left at 4:30, the murder happened after that? It could have already been over. Frankly, I don't think anyone should take Karena's word over anything. The fact that her internet presence has been virtually wiped clean, WTH is going on? Just odd. I pray that LE does SOMETHING with the voice file. For them to admit that they haven't even analyzed the whole thing yet is appalling.

I agree, the butt dial was clearly before the murder, whether a prelude to a murder or "get off of me" and "Rosie," "Erik" &etc. were actually menacing or a bunch of drunk people at a club is anyone's guess. I'm suspicious of KR, but more along the lines of wondering if she knows more than she is saying than thinking she was a participant. Maybe they had a argument at the club. Maybe the bag says, "I'm not jealous," and "stupid *****" written at two different points in time rather than "I'm not stupid jealous *****". Maybe KR was jealous of Faith's real or imagined flirtation with someone on whom KR had set her sights or with whom KR had a history.

If the call was placed from Faith's phone, then the police have known this entire time what time it was placed.

I'm not concerned about any phantom "glitch," they have seen the records (and the phone) and they know when the voicemail was recorded.

When I first heard the 911 call audio and learning the things that were already published about Eriq and KR's relationship, the very first thing that came into my mind was that Eriq hated Faith because of interference, Eriq convinces KR that Faith is the problem, maybe says she hit on him that's why she's causing problems, Faith is telling lies about him, etc. KR is convinced and mayhem ensues. This was planned. There was not a drop of blood on that note. It was written elsewhere and put there after the murder. The most damning evidence to me that IS known? What Eriq wrote on his FB and that KR told NOBODY that Marisol was with her when she "found" the body and Marisol left the scene before police arrived..otherwise there would be mention of her being there in report.
I don't think it would surprise me at all to find out there were several people involved. Get a little group worked up, drunk, high, whatever...and mob mentality takes over.

When I first heard the 911 call audio and learning the things that were already published about Eriq and KR's relationship, the very first thing that came into my mind was that Eriq hated Faith because of interference, Eriq convinces KR that Faith is the problem, maybe says she hit on him that's why she's causing problems, Faith is telling lies about him, etc. KR is convinced and mayhem ensues. This was planned. There was not a drop of blood on that note. It was written elsewhere and put there after the murder. The most damning evidence to me that IS known? What Eriq wrote on his FB and that KR told NOBODY that Marisol was with her when she "found" the body and Marisol left the scene before police arrived..otherwise there would be mention of her being there in report.
I don't think it would surprise me at all to find out there were several people involved. Get a little group worked up, drunk, high, whatever...and mob mentality takes over.

I am in agreement that jealousy is extremely powerful and there may have been some strange dynamic between KR and her ex. But oh my god, I think it takes a little more than getting a group of young people worked up and a little drunk or high to commit a gang murder, generally speaking.

Do you have a link to the info about Marisol leaving before police got there? THAT is interesting.

I am in agreement that jealousy is extremely powerful and there may have been some strange dynamic between KR and her ex. But oh my god, I think it takes a little more than getting a group of young people worked up and a little drunk or high to commit a gang murder, generally speaking.

Do you have a link to the info about Marisol leaving before police got there? THAT is interesting.

The link would be to all the documents that were released. There is no mention at all of Marisol being on the premises when LE arrived per LE reports. It would DEFINITELY be there if she was. Plus, she would have been questioned. On one of the reports it states that Marisol called THEM (LE) I can't remember how long after the murder, to tell LE she had been there. There's hundreds of documents that you have to read thru. Here's a link to over 118 pages of docs..

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1283962-hedgepeth-case-files.html

I'm also sticking with my theory. Unfortunately it doesn't take very much at all for 2people to conspire to murder, or to scare someone and it gets out of hand, or to commit a rape because you've been drinking or drugging. I think all the rape youtube videos can attest to that. Young men taking turns, etc. It's barbaric and horrifying...look at the Amanda Knox case..3 people and poor Meredith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer