Found Deceased PA - John Kohlbecker, 27, Philadelphia, 11 February 2016

Me and John used to walk through the woods of Roxborough and find abandon places to explore just out of curiosity.. I know time and age can change someone's personality and he might not be into that sort of thing any more but I wonder if he went out there in search of something like that and could have possibly gotten lost of injured somewhere. Are there any places located around the area of his car that would be categorized as a local oddity or something of that nature that he might be interested in? I understand that details of a case such as this are better not shared publicly until everything is able to be fully explained but still, it's extremely hard to wait for an answer.

Thank you for posting this and I think it's an excellent thought. im sorry you are going through this. The not knowing must be unimaginable. I will do some googling and see if I can find anything about the area his car was found that might match what you described. There have been many cases (some on this website) where people have wandered from there car and gotten lost, it's really sad.

Speaking of the Roxborough woods. I remember when we all hug out at night by the woods, all the neighborhood kids. We used to be so freaked out by those woods sometimes. I miss those days and I regret not staying in better touch with everyone. I just wanted to say that for anyone who may know me on this thread or reading this in general. I don't think any of us intentionally lost touch it just happens when life makes us busy.

I know I don't know you but I'm really sorry you are going through this, sincerely. You are so right that we don't intentionally lose touch with people, it just kinda happens as we get older, have adult responsibilities, etc. By your posts on here it's clear you are a wonderful person and friend and John is lucky to have you advocating for him.

I just wish he could see who all is worried about him. Besides his close family and friends. Then maybe, if it was his choice to take a brake from his life for a while, he would just go home.

One thing is clear, he intended to travel. I just don't get how his car was serviced and they didn't fix the tail light. If the car was going to be sold you would think he would want it all to be in good condition. Also if he did sell how would he of gotten home? Just shooting off questions. Also if he was going to sell it then when? He was driving the car at 9:30pm on the 11th.
It's all a mystery. I do think he had to have gone to meet someone; unless there is a lot to do in those areas for 6 plus hours.

Excellent point about the tail light. If he was selling car (which is just one possibility, prob unlikely but it's possible) maybe he just got an oil change and car wash at that place across from the huge cvs/wawa? Still they prob would have said something about the taillight to at least up sell him into getting it fixed. There is a train from Bridgeton back to philly via NJ transit but it's prob far fetched. I'm literally just throwing things out there at this point.

The thing I seriously do wonder about is if there's mental health issues involved. I know in a previous post you said he may have had ADHD when younger but many people are diagnosed with other mental illnesses in the early 20's, and lots of times families and the individual keep it to themselves. If this were the case I'm sure the detectives handling the case have been made aware of this by the family and could be why the disappearance alert details listed the severity as: severe-significant threat to life or property and the urgency as: immediate-responsive action should be taken immediately.

I'm not an expert on how New Jersey decides to classify missing persons cases, but I think it could be one explanation as to why they are being somewhat quiet or not releasing more info.

attachment.php

Just found this posted as of 11 hours ago. Look at the bottom left hand of the picture. Supposedly John spotted in the store. What do you Think?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 249
:welcome: DontTakeMyFarm

It is unnerving that there has been no new information nor, from what I can tell, family sharing info on SM. What that means exactly, I haven't a clue. I hope he hasn't committed suicide but, if he did, I would love to know that LE is searching for him somewhere near where his car was found.

Scarlett, you touch on something that I believe a lot of us feel from time to time. Losing touch with people who, at the time, were so important is common as we grow older. It takes an event like John going missing to make us reflect on our relationships and maybe allows us to reach out to those that we have lost touch with, if only just to say "hey".

Where are you, John?

Just getting caught up on this case. Used to live in roxborough after graduating from college and can't believe the lack of coverage in philly, and I'm a news buff. I didn't even know about this until I came on here and saw his thread.

If he was familiar with the area of Bridgeton, but wasn't using his car the previous times he went, he could have been driven by someone else or the NJ transit has service on the 410 route from Bridgeton to philly, so that's a possibility. They also have service from Bridgeton to Atlantic city on route 553.

I just checked pa webdockets, and this young man doesn't even have a traffic ticket and I checked all counties in the philly suburbs plus Centre county where PSU is, so I'm not sure what explains not using the car for awhile based on the mileage on the car fax report. It is true you can walk most places in the area. I drove most places but everyone's preferences and needs are different.

OK, I am also familiar with the Roxborough/Manayunk area. I had friends live in the area near Green Lane, and also the Andora area, and went to a couple of the bike races.

Maybe he broke his tail light after he had it serviced. And you know, theoretically, he could have gone to Bridgeton, left, and then went back to NJ, and not stayed there all day. I just thought of that possibility.

Look at the bottom left hand of the picture. Supposedly John spotted in the store. What do you Think?

When did they time stamp the bottom left photo? Did they time stamp it? Honest it's hard to tell, this could be from shopright? Was he seen past the 11th?
*edit* just shooting of questions not expecting you to know the answers*

When did they time stamp the bottom left photo? Did they time stamp it? Honest it's hard to tell, this could be from shopright? Was he seen past the 11th?
*edit* just shooting of questions not expecting you to know the answers*

I didn't see any reports of sightings after the 11th, I think the next thing was his car being found. Maybe there are other reports of him in the area on 2/12 that haven't been substantiated or confirmed? Or possibly cell phone records that would put him in the area around 2/12?

Me and John used to walk through the woods of Roxborough and find abandon places to explore just out of curiosity.. I know time and age can change someone's personality and he might not be into that sort of thing any more but I wonder if he went out there in search of something like that and could have possibly gotten lost of injured somewhere. Are there any places located around the area of his car that would be categorized as a local oddity or something of that nature that he might be interested in? I understand that details of a case such as this are better not shared publicly until everything is able to be fully explained but still, it's extremely hard to wait for an answer.

I did a little research and found a link that has reviews and pictures of people who have gone to the Wharton State Forest, but when I tried to get specific on the green bank state forest station near where his car was found I didn't find as much. Maybe looking through this site, reviews, etc might give you an idea. Apparently there are good hiking trails according to some reviews but you might see something that stands out to you. Here's the link: https://www.google.com/search?sclie...blet-gws..1.15.1386.eomSfbJyU6E#istate=kp:xpd

I didn't see a time stamp on the photo and this is honestly the only picture of this I've seen. I tried searching for more but this was the only one. The face is too blurry and though the hat he is wearing looks like johns style I've never seen him with such long hair before.

Thanks for looking that information up, binkie. Maybe he was preparing for a trip but maybe the darn 20+ year old car needed some servicing! However, they didn't catch the broken headlight in that servicing did they? Maybe it was just an oil change? A quick in and out? Does Carfax indicate what was fixed? I'd guess not. Hmmm, I wonder what the mileage read on the odometer when the vehicle was found on 2/14?

We don't know yet that state of the car when found do we? Was it operational or had it gone kaput? I'm guessing it was still operational and it was intentionally parked at the Green Bank station. By whom? Most likely by John, right? Nothing yet has surfaced indicating anything amiss except for the biggest thing of all...John's missing.

Headlights burn out with the cold weather.

Does anyone know what time his car was found? Morning? Afternoon?

I'm upset that he is not in NamUs yet.

Thanks, I'll check out the link and see.

I just read the link i posted in more detail and there weren't as many reviews as I thought but a decent amount of pictures. I will try to find some better info on the specific area his car was found.

OK, I am also familiar with the Roxborough/Manayunk area. I had friends live in the area near Green Lane, and also the Andora area, and went to a couple of the bike races.

Maybe he broke his tail light after he had it serviced. And you know, theoretically, he could have gone to Bridgeton, left, and then went back to NJ, and not stayed there all day. I just thought of that possibility.

Based on your location I was just there picking up a bridesmaid dress a few hours ago..small world.

I guess my main question would be, why would he go to that area in jersey? What was there that caused him to go to that area. Family or friends there? Maybe a past camping trip in the area of where his car was found and he just wanted to get away? Hopefully his family and LE already know the answer to this.

If not one of the above, I would think there was some type of business transaction he chose to go there for (maybe the car or something else he could have been selling or buying from someone on Craigslist or some other website for example) and something went wrong. My husband is in law enforcement and is originally from jersey. i asked him about the area and he said its become flooded with drugs and gangs over the years which concerns me.

" didn't see a time stamp on the photo and this is honestly the only picture of this I've seen. I tried searching for more but this was the only one. The face is too blurry and though the hat he is wearing looks like johns style I've never seen him with such long hair before."

I don't think John let his hair get that long and it didn't look that long when I last talked to him, but maybe the hat was pushing it down, not sure.

Does anyone know what time his car was found? Morning? Afternoon?

I'm upset that he is not in NamUs yet.

It hasn't been published in MSM but rumor has it that it was found around 4:30pm on 2/14.

Woodstown nearby does some cowboy-like events, but not in Febuary, in the summer.

I live 15 minutes across the bridge from that area of NJ, but I never go over there. Why would John from Manayunk????

I doubt camping. Too cold.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater