SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had planned to get outside and beg up some of the old vegetation from last fall...... but it rained and now it is all wet again. Now I have to wait for it to get dry before I can bag it or it is too heavy and the moisture ends up tearing the bottom out of the bags. :juggle:

I had planned to get outside and beg up some of the old vegetation from last fall...... but it rained and now it is all wet again. Now I have to wait for it to get dry before I can bag it or it is too heavy and the moisture ends up tearing the bottom out of the bags. :juggle:

BUT, isn't that part of the problem? Can't bag it up when the weather's bad, but don't want to deal with it when the weather's nice. (I might be just speaking for myself, here. :facepalm:)

BBM

This is true, there are many predators out there to contend with. But I just wanted to remind you of one you might not have considered, which would be dog(s). Depending on the breed, many dogs are natural birders and can snap a chicken's neck in an instant. Unlike true predators who hunt chickens for food, dogs do it for (ahem) the fun of it. They don't really want to eat the chicken, and will usually just leave it be after killing it.

This information comes from a friend who lost a couple of chickens to her German Shepherds before she realized she had to have tighter security for both the chickens and the dogs.

Thanks Gigi for reminding me about dogs. You are right about that as my little Yorkie already tried to jump up on the box to get at them.

I will have to be sure I don't let my own dog near them. And we sometimes have stray dogs running around the neighborhood so I will have to keep an eye on them.

BUT, isn't that part of the problem? Can't bag it up when the weather's bad, but don't want to deal with it when the weather's nice. (I might be just speaking for myself, here. :facepalm:)

Well....... I prefer to call it a legitimate reason to not do it. Too wet today, too nice tomorrow to waste my reading time, or dog-walking time. After all, we have all been cooped up for to many months already. And I do need my sunshine-vitamin somehow. Besides, if I do all that scooping and bending and raking, it will aggravate the arthritis and I won't be able to cook dinner, so.... I pick the leisure as my prescription.

Well....... I prefer to call it a legitimate reason to not do it. Too wet today, too nice tomorrow to waste my reading time, or dog-walking time. After all, we have all been cooped up for to many months already. And I do need my sunshine-vitamin somehow. Besides, if I do all that scooping and bending and raking, it will aggravate the arthritis and I won't be able to cook dinner, so.... I pick the leisure as my prescription.

I'm with you!

After raking leafs into a pile
I had bought a couple of these leaf grabbers and they are the best things I have found to pick up leafs from a pile and to get into a trash bag.

I just pick up 1 in each hand from the outside edges without trying to put my hand in the hoops and I just use them to grab a chunk of leafs and after getting enough in the bag to where I have to organize the bag then I throw them down on the ground when not needed.

Also when organizing the trash bag I have found it is best to just step on the bag and crush the leafs with my feet and then I pick up the bag by the edges and shake all the crushed leafs to the bottom and then I am ready for more. The feet compactor method. LOL

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sun-jo...00000425400&adid=22222222627000016049&veh=sem

Also, when you have a big pile of leafs on the ground and when you have an empty large plastic bag I have found a really good method to get a lot of leafs in there to get started.

You know how a dog will try to cover its poop with dirt by scraping its hind feet and shoving dirt out the back. Well my method is similar. LOL
Lets call it the "dog poopy shoving it in method". LOL

I first take an empty bag and shake it open to get air in it and to make sure it isn't stuck together. Then I lay one edge of the bag down on the ground and step on it. I make sure it is right up next to a large pile of leaves. Then I pick up the top edge of the bag with my left hand and pull it up to make the bag stay open. Then I take my right hand and start shoving/flinging in the leafs with a fast moving flinging action. If you fling the chunk of leaves slightly upwards and towards the back of the bag it will keep the bag open and allow you to get a lot of leaves in the bag before you finally have to stop and pick up both edges of the bag and shake all the leaves to the bottom.

Once the bag has enough to where it stands on its own on the ground then I go to those yellow leaf grabbers to get the rest of the leaves to fill the rest of the bag to the top.

Each fall, I have to get rid of tons of leaves and so I had to figure out the best/quickest way to get them into bags. Its still a pain in the neck no matter how you do it but those methods do help me out.

If I was rich I would invest in one of those machines that you hook to your riding mower and drag it around as it sucks up all the leaves into 2 large containers on the back. But those machines are very expensive.

Also, when you have a big pile of leafs on the ground and when you have an empty large plastic bag I have found a really good method to get a lot of leafs in there to get started.

You know how a dog will try to cover its poop with dirt by scraping its hind feet and shoving dirt out the back. Well my method is similar. LOL
Lets call it the "dog poopy shoving it in method". LOL

I first take an empty bag and shake it open to get air in it and to make sure it isn't stuck together. Then I lay one edge of the bag down on the ground and step on it. I make sure it is right up next to a large pile of leaves. Then I pick up the top edge of the bag with my left hand and pull it up to make the bag stay open. Then I take my right hand and start shoving/flinging in the leafs with a fast moving flinging action. If you fling the chunk of leaves slightly upwards and towards the back of the bag it will keep the bag open and allow you to get a lot of leaves in the bag before you finally have to stop and pick up both edges of the bag and shake all the leaves to the bottom.

Once the bag has enough to where it stands on its own on the ground then I go to those yellow leaf grabbers to get the rest of the leaves to fill the rest of the bag to the top.

Each fall, I have to get rid of tons of leaves and so I had to figure out the best/quickest way to get them into bags. Its still a pain in the neck no matter how you do it but those methods do help me out.

If I was rich I would invest in one of those machines that you hook to your riding mower and drag it around as it sucks up all the leaves into 2 large containers on the back. But those machines are very expensive.

I saw a pair? of those that have wondered into dh's stuff last month. Hatfield, dh puts the trash bag inside of a large trashcan, fills it with leaves, and jumps up and down (he is funny to watch) to compact and make more room, then takes it out when full and puts in another trash bag. When we rake the leaves when they stop falling we usually have at least twenty five bags just from the front yard. The backyard is on it's own. I look at it as compost and it's going to get mowed when green grass shoots up almost over night. I'd love for it to stay that soft and green and not have to mow it. It's like walking on velvet. It feels alive.

My gazabo hasn't fared well with the high winds, and has been blown off it's wood foundation ( I have several different kinds of "spots" in my backyard that I can sit at), and I'll need to replace it so I can sit out there in the rain. I have small windchimes there, and several through our backyard, (an acre) and it's nice to hear each one as the wind blows and changed direction. I told dh that I didn't want flowers, cards or candy for Valentines day, but the faded washed green/blue wind-chimes I saw (and showed them to him) at Hobby Lobby two weeks before when I said gee those would be nice. So I have those, and they have a deeper bong sound than my long piped ones, which have more of a clang sound. I had a gong windchime many years ago, and would like to replace it. I like it had a really cool sound.

I don't want to lose any of you, I hope they leave our home alone. At least with Travis's name, people could find us, and join the family. We come in all shapes and sizes - we all have our own opinions and that's OK, we respect that, we're a shoulder when needed, and we'll join in with praise and joy when good fortune falls upon us that day.

http//youtu.be/M-5zlj49ugk

Has anyone heard this or ran across this site?

http://www.vinniepolitan.com/shut-up-kirk-nurmi-010/

Yes, I had listened to one of his first ones he put on that link. I like Vinnie. He said he is going to start to have guest interviews too with people we should know.

I like the simple no frills websites like that. No need to have all fancy other stuff on websites. Others sites have too much confusion.

I suspect Vinnie is from NY or somewhere East coast because of his accent. I love the way they talk there because it is very clear and they have good pronunciation of words.

The accent is cool too.

I just checked Vinnie's site this week. Unfortunately, am so burnt out on the last big trial that I can't get interested in anything related right now ... ... other than two local cases here.

Thanks Hatfield ...... I may look into those circle thingies. I have seen them at Lowes and wondered how good they might be. I have one of those large folded cardboardy things that open to fit inside the leaf bags .... it helps keep it open and standing. My big problem is just getting the darned leaf bags open completely --- my arms aren't long enough to fit inside and get out the still-folded crease and I guess I don't have enough wind power to shake the bag open. In the fall, we just keep mowing the lawn and leaving them as mulch, but invariably a few trees wait until the mower is put away for the season. I pray for super windy days then .... they usually blow away down the street to an empty field.

Good morning all! :wave:

Since you all are talking about Spring cleaning - I found this while reading my AARP Newsletter!
Declutter Your Home - 20 ways to downsize or just clean up

Start in the Attic - When you're up against your memories, remember: You've simplifying your life, not erasing your past.
1. Wedding dress: If no one is going to wear it again, hae some nice pillows made out of it. Or save it to wrap bouquets in your daughter's wedding. Or clip off a piece of fabric and display it in a frame with a photo of your wedding day.
2. Love letter: Keep them if they're yours. But if they're your parents', they're not really yours: They're part of a romance between your parents, never meant for you. Burn them ceremonially and send the love back into the universe.
3. Boxes of photos: throw out landscape shots. Pick three with people in them from each vacation or holiday. With the rest, pull out the great shots. Send the keepers to an online scanning service to store in the cloud, or make albums.
4. China set: if you like it, use it. If you don't, sell it thru eBay. Be realistic, though. Not long ago, fine china commanded a nice price. But today's consumers want fine tableware that's safe in the microwave and the dishwasher.
5. Antiques: Take high-end antiques to a local antiques dealer, who can take them to an auction house. Find out what the house's take is upfront (typically 10 to 15 percent) as well as where it will place the starting bid.
6. Greeting cards. Their job is to greet you over the holidays. They did that. Now you throw them away. Or put them in a recycle bin, if you saved the envelopes, you can go thru them to update your address book.
7. Old applicances. Like a yard sale online. Craigslist is the right venue for usable appliances. With local buyers, you skip shipping costs. Tip: Sell only to buyers who pay cash and will pick up the item. When they come, have someone with you.
8. Your kids' stuff. It's not your job to save everything from your children's lives. Box up what belongs to the kids and send it to them. Or tell them to claim it now - with the date you plan to have house cleared out - or never.
9. Books. If you're going to read it, or it just feels too much like family (The Cat in the Hat0, put it on your bookshelf. If not, give it away. You can drop books off at a library or donation center. Or call around for charity that will pick it up.
10. Luggage. That graduation gift from your grandparents? If it's in decent shape, sell it at your own or a neighborhood garage sale and tell stories of where you've been. If not, donate it to a charity such as a women's homeless shelter.
11. Hand-me-down furniture. Consignment stores can be a godsend for a chair or sofa in good condition that worked for someone else-but not for you. They sell it and usually split 30/70 (30 percent to you), but sometimes 40/60.
12. Clothes. Can you answer yes to "Do I love it?" "Do I need it?" or "Will I use it?" If not, then out it goes. It doesn't matter that "I only wore it once." "It's still in good condition" or "It was expensive". THen make three piles: toss, donate, sell.
13. Jewelry. Decide what to keep, then give family members their choice. Sell the rest on eay. Polish the jewelry and light it well, then photograph items in high resolution from several angles, include a close-up of any label or stamp.
14. Art. Appraising fine - or not-so-fine - art is an art in itself, so you might need an appraiser who specializes in that area. You don't want to give away that ugly painting or sculpture only to find out it later sold for $50,000 at an auction.
15. Old tennis racket. "But I might play again someday!" Living your life for one day in the future robs you of today, if that racket is old and outdated, give it away thru Freecycle. If it's still in good shape, sell it on Craigslist.
16. Curio collection. Select three pieces to keep, then photograph the rest and put the photos in an albumm alongside the display. EBay is the place to sell smaller, more valuable items like collectibles.
17. Musical instruments. Craigslist is already flooded with dead musical dreams. Spread the word around your neighborhoold; ask your kids' former music teacher. Even if you sell at a loss, it will fill a home with music. Just not your home.
18. Closet. Rather than fishing thru and deciding what to eliminate, take everything out, down to the bare walls. Then physically put back items. Choosing to keep, rather than choosing to let go, will net in clinging to fewer things..
19. Paperwork. Scan important papers - birth and marriage certificates, school records, wills and other legal documents - electronically, and back up your hard drive. Store originals, organized, in a lockbox or sealed plastic tubs.
20. Household junk. Rags, cans of rusty nails, buckets, vinegar: Hold a garage sale. Put price tags on items: $5, $50, make an offer. Post signs in the neighborhood and advertise on Craigslist. Estate sales dot com and Pennysaver dot com.

I got a "private message" in my Facebook the other day; a lady asked if I had been in CampFire girls - her daughter bought a comic book locally and found my certificate for CampFire girls in it. My bro when he was here sold a bunch of comic books locally, so I believe she found it in one of those! Just a note - he got $1000 for one of his comic books!!

Okay - long post... sorry if there are any spelling errors above! :facepalm: see you all later! :seeya:

$1,000 for one comic book? Do tell what kind it was. I bet my brother still has several that are worth a lot, but he would never part with them.

What exactly does "change things up a bit" mean lol? I guess the Travis Alexander Sidebar has seen the end of its' existence. I wonder what kind of thread will be in its place?

I have really enjoyed posting here for the last 3 years and I guess the change will be for the best for all of WS. You all have become friends in my head, as well as real life and I am so blessed to have met you. Xo

First, I'm SORRY I am just now getting to this. I've been traveling and the hotel connection here has been HORRID. There is only so much I can do from my phone. Sometimes I've been able to connect from the lobby so I'm going to give that a shot shortly.

Re the changes: No worries! I know you guys have developed friendships and shared a lot of personal stories. We want to keep a dedicated thread where you guys can keep up with each other. :hug:

The only change is going to be the location of the thread. As you guys know, over time this thread has evolved into a more "sharing personal experiences" discussion. For the safety & privacy of everyone, most of this shouldn't be viewable to the public at large. It needs to be in the private area, accessible only to WS members. So we're going to give you guys a dedicated thread in the Jury Room. We can link it here so everyone can find it easily.

Okay, before I open it I want your suggestions and input as to what you'd like me to title it. It doesn't need to stay "Sidebar" since it won't be very case related. It's YOUR thread and I want you guys to have a say.

So, put your creative thinking caps on post your suggestions. I'll check back later and we'll get y'all a fresh new place opened to hang out.

Thanks again for your patience! xoxo

Maybe a new thread called The Sidebarians.......?? Too many friendships here for it to just go away IMO.

Sent from Wonderland

Alexander Sidebarians would work! Cute one!

Zuri -- aren't you loving this!?!? Daffodils are blooming here and I have windows open to further enjoy this wonderful weather. I, too, am doing some spring cleaning. I started wondering why spring is the time to clean, and I think it's more than just being able to get some fresh air into the house. More and more each year, winter is really depressing and when spring comes, it's energizing. Spring brings with it a sense of renewal. I LOVE spring!!!

As to all the leaves that I neglected to rake and bag in the fall... still not into that. :/ Hoping I can pay someone to do it, as I worry about Lyme disease...
------------
Hi Gigi and all. I think "spring cleaning started with my grandma's generation , born in 1873, her generation used coal and wood for heating. They still used it into 40's! The coal stove set in the front room , the curtains etc. were full of soot and smoke smell by Spring. My gramma even took the 9x12 carpet outside , on a line and beat it. out came the curtain stretchers! ( I used them too , same reason when first married. we were poor!) I will send a picture of our Ice Box when first married , soon as I get the cable for camera. Oh I remember riding in the rumble seat too '32 Ford coupe looked so big!! Cousin Carol and I were just talking about Grammas kitchen and her quirks, kids now days miss all that! we were part of the family and worked with it...Loved it!! miss Gramma. :seeya:

Alexander Sidebarians would work! Cute one!

Thanks so so much beachie!! I like your suggested name. Or: Travis' Sidebarians

And I agree, it might be better for many of us to have a more private forum. Nice thought. thanks again for keeping us together.

------------
Hi Gigi and all. I think "spring cleaning started with my grandma's generation , born in 1873, her generation used coal and wood for heating. They still used it into 40's! The coal stove set in the front room , the curtains etc. were full of soot and smoke smell by Spring. My gramma even took the 9x12 carpet outside , on a line and beat it. out came the curtain stretchers! ( I used them too , same reason when first married. we were poor!) I will send a picture of our Ice Box when first married , soon as I get the cable for camera. Oh I remember riding in the rumble seat too '32 Ford coupe looked so big!! Cousin Carol and I were just talking about Grammas kitchen and her quirks, kids now days miss all that! we were part of the family and worked with it...Loved it!! miss Gramma. :seeya:

Wow, that's very interesting stuff, Nore. I think sometimes we forget how easy we have it compared to a few generations ago!

I do take pride in the fact that I'm a hands-on grandmother. I didn't have that when I was growing up, so I want my grand-daughter to know me, and I want to be an influence in her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member