GUILTY IN - Shaylyn Ammerman, 14 mos, Spencer, 23 March 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much more to this story than we are being told unfortunately.

All the adults spent Tuesday night into the wee hours of Wednesday morning, partying and watching tv. Then the baby disappears without anyone noticing except they think that Kyle left at 3am and later the baby is found dead from asphyxiation at his house.

No one has a job? Baby sleeps unattended in the living room while an assortment of people come and go without notice, no one locks the door, no one sees the 'guests' out of the house?

Why was this little angel not in bed with grandma and let grandpa sleep on the sofa or on the floor?

When children are in my care overnight, the pack and play is next to my side of the bed and I have a pen light so that when I wake just a bit, or I hear them move, I can see that they are okay. When I am babysitting at the mother's house, I sleep on the floor next to the crib in the baby's room so I can do the same - even though there are empty beds. I am afraid I will sleep too soundly and not her the baby monitor. I am teased because of my paranoia but nothing is going to happen to a child in my care. Why do people not take the responsibility seriously? This is a baby and must be guarded with your life!

You sound exactly like me! I have a 22 month old and he has never slept away from me ever. I sleep on a futon mat next to his crib in his nursery and each time I wake up at night I use the flashlight on my phone to check on him. I also have an AngelCare monitor that I use. I can't imagine letting him sleep alone in house that wasn't locked or with people coming and going. That is just insane to me. When we travel he sleeps in the same bed as my husband and I (we always make sure our accommodation has a king size bed) but when he was younger we traveled with a rock n play and he slept in that next to our bed since I was worried one of us would roll over on him and suffocate him. The reason I don't put his crib in our bedroom is because he sometimes fusses in his sleep and my husband has to get up and go to work and there is no reason for us both to be chronically exhausted. My husband is supportive of my sleeping in our son's nursery. He is man and adult enough to realize that this is just one season of our lives. We always keep our house locked regardless and we have an alarm system. I can't imagine leaving him baby in a living room while I went to sleep in a bedroom.

I wonder if granny and her hubby ALWAYS take sleeping pills? If one is up until the wee hours of the morning, there shouldn't be a need to unless they suffer from insomnia. I don't generally question LE's investigative procedures, but I hope they checked for sleeping pills in the house to verify the claim. Granny's hubby shouldn't have needed pills if he had been drinking beer and whiskey IMO. I'd also like to know at what volume the brothers' TVs were set. But, wait! That front door was awfully noisy and with all the comings and goings of just about everyone in the entire neighborhood I'm sure they didn't want it to disturb their sleep. Poor baby. She could have been in distress at any time and no one would have heard her.

Mommy also said that the grandma accused her of having abandoned Shaylyn by letting her stay with them (father and grandma) full time during that two-month period. I wonder if there's more to that back story?

bbm -- Oh, I'll just bet there was. And I'll bet that would make some interesting reading, too.

moo

In an earlier post I commented on wondering what poor little Shaylyn's life had been like. At this point, I feel it is safe to say this baby girl had been through so much turmoil in her few months on earth.

While we don't know the back story of how or why her mom and dad were ever connected for this child to be conceived, a one-night stand, a short relationship, or who knows what else, the after story says a lot.

Dad is a grown man yet he still lives at home with mom, step-dad, and shares a bedroom with his brother. Really? Mom, who already has two little boys, meets up with Justin the dad, becomes pregnant, and then decides she is a lesbian. It does happen.

But, what about this baby? From what we know of one night at the father's house, it sounds like baby was "the third wheel", an extra that was stuck in the living room so as not to disturb the adults? How did she nap during the day? In her younger days when sleep was most of her days, how did she sleep in the midst of a lively household?

IMO, there is no way she went at 8:00 - 9:00 pm for night time. Not in the main thoroughfare of the house! Somewhere it was mentioned she threw her bedtime tantrum (I believe it was Kelly saying this), so that tells us she was not a child who went to bed easily.

My feeling is little Shaylyn was passed from parent to parent, no structure, schedule, and a child that was taken care of only because she was there. I am so sorry she was killed. At the same time, in this situation, I wonder if God felt he needed her back due to the life she was living.

My thoughts and opinions only.

Thanks, Jamaica for clearing that up. I thought the full time arrangement at the father's was current. In any event though, knowing what the conditions were at the father's house (according to the maintenance man), why did she let her infant daughter stay there any more than was absolutely required?
imo speaking from my own experience, the family court is flawed, & it does take A LOT (way too much IMO) to remove a child from a parent. I could go off on a million page rant about my ex, but will leave it as it took her coming home from a 24 hour visit with him with a broken leg at age 4 that no one can/would/will say how it happened (she does have autism & though she is high functioning, her main struggle is with expressive communication). This caused a judge to really step in (he only had ever other weekend-Being Saturday-Sunday only 24 hours as it was) & cut his visitation down to supervised only by his dad/stepmom ONLY (his mother is unfortunately part of the 'cover up' with the broken leg) for 7 hours every other Sunday. Last week (about a month later) he asked if my husband would just adopt her; we are so so happy (the situation itself if terribly sad, but we know this is going to be so good for her) to be in the process of him voluntarily terminating his rights via his attorney, & ours is drawing up adoption paperwork.

Slme me gave mentioned maybe shaylyn's mom didn't have the means to fight in court for more custody. From my experience, custody battles will drain you in every way. My lawyer fees, guardian ad Lietum costs, costs to make him take a hair follicle drug test, home study cost...amounted to over $40,000. I am in WI fwiw. From the 1st court date to the final hearing at that time, it took 2 years to the day, it was emotionally draining. I was constantly afraid for her. I always was so so scared something awful would happen to her while with him. At 5'6" I weighed 97#because I had constant anxiety.

Again in I will say, IMO, the family court system is very very flawed :(

The last I read to was page 57 so far, and I just wanted to put in a couple things before I continue. I grew up in Bloomington, which is like 40 minutes away, and actually lived in Spencer for a little over a year. I went to the same school they did, but years before them. I keep waiting to see someone I may have known caught up in this, because that's how small that town is. When I lived there we had A Walmart, just one, no other stores besides a general store. I think there was 2 or 3 fast food places. But these are, for lack of a better word, and not all of the people who live there are, backwoods hillbilly kind of people. Not saying that's bad or negative, I just can't think of a more pc way to say it. The live there and their families have for generations back. Some of the kids drove their 4 wheelers or tractors to school. It's a simple country way of life. I don't believe we locked our doors, out nearest neighbor was far away. Education isn't a priority, and I knew many kids who knew they would just go on to work their family farm. This family lived on the "wrong side of the tracks" in Spencer, and was likely not too well off. If you have ever seen the show Porter Ridge, it was filmed and about a family that lived just outside of Spencer.

I believe I saw that Daniel Morgan was from Martinsville, which I am also fairly familiar with as my mom's family is from there, and some still live there. Martinsville is a sundown town. In a sundown town, if you aren't white you aren't welcome after dark. We were friends with an AA police officer in Bloomington who was "warned" while getting gas in Martinsville. (Great chicken tenders at Sargent Peppers though.)

I really hope there are more arrests this week. This little angel deserves justice, and I personally don't think that everyone responsible for her death have been apprehended.

Rest in Peace Shaylyn

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

imo speaking from my own experience, the family court is flawed, & it does take A LOT (way too much IMO) to remove a child from a parent. I could go off on a million page rant about my ex, but will leave it as it took her coming home from a 24 hour visit with him with a broken leg at age 4 that no one can/would/will say how it happened (she does have autism & though she is high functioning, her main struggle is with expressive communication). This caused a judge to really step in (he only had ever other weekend-Being Saturday-Sunday only 24 hours as it was) & cut his visitation down to supervised only by his dad/stepmom ONLY (his mother is unfortunately part of the 'cover up' with the broken leg) for 7 hours every other Sunday. Last week (about a month later) he asked if my husband would just adopt her; we are so so happy (the situation itself if terribly sad, but we know this is going to be so good for her) to be in the process of him voluntarily terminating his rights via his attorney, & ours is drawing up adoption paperwork.

Slme me gave mentioned maybe shaylyn's mom didn't have the means to fight in court for more custody. From my experience, custody battles will drain you in every way. My lawyer fees, guardian ad Lietum costs, costs to make him take a hair follicle drug test, home study cost...amounted to over $40,000. I am in WI fwiw. From the 1st court date to the final hearing at that time, it took 2 years to the day, it was emotionally draining. I was constantly afraid for her. I always was so so scared something awful would happen to her while with him. At 5'6" I weighed 97#because I had constant anxiety.

Again in I will say, IMO, the family court system is very very flawed :(

Oh goodness, how stressful and sad. As a parent, and someone who clerked for a judge (non US) and has seen so many custody battles, my heart goes out to you. I am so glad that yours had ultimately the best resolution.

O/T but the judge I clerked for always said there's certain cases that he knows will be the worst and they are the ones with (a certain kind of) paternal grandmother as the driving force behind the battle who at her heart is only a bully. When I read Jessica's interview, I was reminded of that. Poor Jessica, this is every parents worst nightmare when they share custody with someone they know in their heart to be untrustworthy with their precious child.

Oh goodness, how stressful and sad. As a parent, and someone who clerked for a judge (non US) and has seen so many custody battles, my heart goes out to you. I am so glad that yours had ultimately the best resolution.

O/T but the judge I clerked for always said there's certain cases that he knows will be the worst and they are the ones with (a certain kind of) paternal grandmother as the driving force behind the battle who at her heart is only a bully. When I read Jessica's interview, I was reminded of that. Poor Jessica, this is every parents worst nightmare when they share custody with someone they know in their heart to be untrustworthy with their precious child.

bbm -- that's exactly what went through my mind when I read her words. I think it can happen with either maternal or paternal gma, ime, and either way, it is a nightmare for the parent involved. imo, moo, and ime.

In an earlier post I commented on wondering what poor little Shaylyn's life had been like. At this point, I feel it is safe to say this baby girl had been through so much turmoil in her few months on earth.

While we don't know the back story of how or why her mom and dad were ever connected for this child to be conceived, a one-night stand, a short relationship, or who knows what else, the after story says a lot.

Dad is a grown man yet he still lives at home with mom, step-dad, and shares a bedroom with his brother. Really? Mom, who already has two little boys, meets up with Justin the dad, becomes pregnant, and then decides she is a lesbian. It does happen.

But, what about this baby? From what we know of one night at the father's house, it sounds like baby was "the third wheel", an extra that was stuck in the living room so as not to disturb the adults? How did she nap during the day? In her younger days when sleep was most of her days, how did she sleep in the midst of a lively household?

IMO, there is no way she went at 8:00 - 9:00 pm for night time. Not in the main thoroughfare of the house! Somewhere it was mentioned she threw her bedtime tantrum (I believe it was Kelly saying this), so that tells us she was not a child who went to bed easily.

My feeling is little Shaylyn was passed from parent to parent, no structure, schedule, and a child that was taken care of only because she was there. I am so sorry she was killed. At the same time, in this situation, I wonder if God felt he needed her back due to the life she was living.

Thoughts and opinions shared by many of us, I'm sure. Your post actually made me cry. :(

My youngest grandson is just a bit older than Shaylyn was, and he's such a sweet baby, and a complete joy to be around. When we're all together for a family event and that boy walks in the room, everyone melts and tries to get his attention (even the manly men, because he's just that stinking cute!) I cannot even imagine never seeing him again. I can't even imagine sitting on the couch in my nighty talking to the media with no more urgency than if the dish sponge went missing. UGH! :gaah:

Mom could be bisexual.

bbm -- Oh, I'll just bet there was. And I'll bet that would make some interesting reading, too.

moo

Unfortunately, I think we'd need someone from outside the family to tell that story, given the difficulty with which they are having telling this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you :)

& I totally agree with everything you said!

I've been holding on to this thought and have decided to put it out there and let the chips fall where they may. One of the mods referred to burking, in which someone can be asphyxiated without leaving marks.
Kelly Rogers has said on fb that she can put small animals to sleep and got her 'stepdaughter' to sleep after a tantrum. She was apparently with Shaylyn's father at that time. In the photo of what looks to be a sound asleep kitten, she says this is one of her talents.
I can't help but wonder what her methods were. Could it involve holding her hand over the nose and mouth until the 'subject' becomes unconscious and stays sleeping? Perhaps she took it too far with Shaylyn?
It seems that Kelly was at that house in the early morning hours. Could Kyle have helped her out by disposing of the baby's body?
This is only a thought. BTW, Kelly is fb friends with Adam.

Cooper Park in Spencer is where hundreds gathered Friday night to ask a higher power to bring those responsible for Shaylyn Ammerman’s death to justice. A local church organized the memorial.

“We’re praying for answers as well, that it’ll all come to light. The truth will all come out,” said Sharon West, of Family of God of Spencer.

[...]

“I wonder if she was alone and thinking that nobody cared about her,” Jessica Stewart said through tears.

Police said charging documents could be available for Kyle Parker on Monday.

http://fox59.com/2016/03/25/vigil-held-in-memory-of-shaylyn-ammerman-as-investigation-continues/

I am very interested in reading those charging docs when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam