Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Plus, as others have mentioned, it wasn't like this bar was on the waterfront. Joey would have had to what, had a notion to walk off from his friends and families shortly after midnight, and hike down through trees and bushes to get to a river and then just fall in? Nope, don't buy it. And it doesn't explain the "I'm driving" and the gibberish text.

:rose:RIP Joey, so young to go too soon. Im wondering if he may have met up with someone. :thinking:

I'm not at all upset that the police have played it close to the vest. It's an investigation and not a tv show. The public is NOT entitled to every tidbit as the investigation proceeds. Some here are a bit too quick to judge and bash police. At some point more facts will be released. For now, let them do their job. As for releasing a preliminary identification, that does no one any good.

No apparent injuries coupled with the fact he was deceased before entering the water sounds to me like drugs were involved. Since he was at a bar, it is reasonable to assume he was probably intoxicated. Combining alcohol with another substance can easily result in a lethal concoction. I bet he stepped out of the bar to meet someone for a drug, thinking he'd partake and be back quickly, but he overdosed. Whomever sold him the drug probably put him into the river. Will be interesting to see if anything can be gleaned from the toxicology report.

If he drukenly or hastily fat thumbed the first three letters it could be "n" which if you type nstioj in google you get "nation". (original jnhstioj) Joey's body was found about two miles down the river from "nationwide". That was the first thing I noticed anyway. Lower Scioto Greenway park is right by nationwide... https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....@39.9526692,-83.0086961,15z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

Anyone have an thoughts?

I think you are absolutely correct on location. Good analysis.

I've been staying quiet on here today, just taking time to try to process the news. I'm so heartbroken for someone I've never met. While it was assumed a couple days ago it was him in the river- just having it "official" is a whole different feeling. Rest In Peace Joey, I'm so sorry your story had to end this way. My deepest sympathy/condolences to his family.

So sad for Joey's family and friends. Whatever happened should not have happened. A young guy who had his entire life ahead of him. RIP Joey:rose:

Nbc4i is reporting that "[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Dr. Ortiz says LaBute had died at least three weeks ago and because of that it’s possible the cause of death could be undetermined." Sounds like whatever happened occurred the night he went missing.

I don't buy the theory that this was some sort of accidental drug overdose and the person he was with panicked and put his body in the water. By all accounts, Joey has been described as responsible, he maintained a close relationship with his aunt in town and his family, held down a good job at Morgan Stanely and was considering going back to school. I would like to know more about his alcohol consumption the night he went missing. I keep thinking about Jesse Matthews out on the prowl waiting for someone to take advantage of and zeroing in on Hannah Graham. Unfortunately, every hotel close to downtown Columbus was sold out that weekend because of the Arnold Classic, which means there were people everywhere and that event makes for great people watching, which may have distracted others from noticing Joey and whether he looked like he could be in trouble. I think there was a predator in the union that night ... and Joey was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
[/FONT]

There are many pieces of information missing (for me anyway) before arriving at much of a sense of what may have happened. Two tidbits are helpful:
1. lack of external signs of violence, etc.
2. death likely occurred prior to entry into the river

Further forensic evaluation may lead to an understanding of the cause of death--but so far only a few things have been ruled out--drowning, shooting, beating, stabbing.

What I am most interested in so far is how long the body might have been in the river, or how long since he died (which might be two different things). It does seem as though there is a rather large window (3+ weeks) to be accounted for. Is it possible that the body was in the river all that time? If not, was he dead all that time? I suspect that those are the kinds of secrets this body has to tell--along with any toxicology results.

I for one am not wholly comfortable with the scenario of date-rape-drug overdose without some clearer details about timeline. Not that I have other theories to offer up. I just haven't yet seen anything that looks like a complete package.

EDIT--I see that the coroner has now stated that the time of death was likely 3 weeks prior.

I think you are absolutely correct on location. Good analysis.

You think he was trying to let the recipient of the text where he was? Tha'ts not too far of a walk and its an even faster drive to get to nationwide arena. Could be a but text though.

I don't believe anyone is trying to paint a negative picture of Joey- or make it out like he was irresponsible. Casually partaking in drugs doesn't make you a bad person- we've all made bad choices in life, it's natural. I don't think it's too far fetched that while having a night out on the town someone might try drugs. I think the fact the Joey doesn't seem to have a history of drug abuse makes him a better candidate for overdosing...if you're not familiar with drugs, it's easy to do too much and not know your limits. I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's somewhat what I'm leaning towards since there was no obvious trauma to his body.

Not everyone that uses drugs recreationally (or more) would show signs.
And I am by no means saying drugs have a part in this. I have seen cases and personally have seen people so adamant that a loved one has never touched anything and doesn't even drink. Only to find out...that is not the case.

Mixing alcohol and pills (ritallin, xanax, x) is all over the country. And deadly. Speak to college students, most know at least a few who do this.

And again, not saying this is what happened. But it is as much of a possibility as the Smiley face killers. IMO.

So the drug theory is not that far of possibly. <modsnip>.

Although I appreciate this info, you may want to tread lightly. I don't want you getting into any trouble. Or, is this pretty well known?

When I was a 20something in the mid to late 80's, we had a similar place in Los Angeles for all manner of debauchery and non-mainstream proclivities. Straight, gay, you name it. I saw VERY famous male rock stars and actors happily engaging with other males. Not to mention the drugs. It was quite VIP and private, but I was young and worked in the music industry, and had no problem taking in such (at the time) exciting activities. As another WS member said, "there but for the grace of God, go I".. To think of all the stupid things I did. Glad I'm still alive.

I've spent too much time researching 200 other similar cases around the country.
c1ddf0219eb1f71af5eb392e88c7f79b.jpg
I'm right there with you. Then when you see (in some places) what some "requirements" are to be a ME- or, lack thereof, no wonder so many get chalked up to accidental....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back