Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Ive been looking at the maps and trying to maybe figure out if he was abbreviating his location if he was being taken somewhere against his will.

The best I could come up with is John H McConnell Blvd + Studio Movie Grill with the thought that maybe he was abbreviating John H + Studio ("Jnhstioj"). The location is close to where he was found. Ive got a link to the map of the area below if it works. Its just a short trip south of there to some parks that could get access to the River.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...e!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x0cd3a0b3e99e691e
Not quite, but good try.

I wonder if he had been on his phone quite a bit while at the bar before he disappeared. You know sometimes you are out with a friend and they are constantly looking at their phone, whether it's texting or checking fb or twitter and you know their mind is elsewhere, almost like they are making new plans because they are ready to move on from what you are doing there. I just wonder if they noticed that because that could definitely mean he was making plans to meet up with someone.

I don't have the feeling that Joey was slipped something in the water he was supposed to be getting at the bar. I think he met up with someone he knew already. Whether it was someone he had been communicating with via sm or someone he had been out with previously or felt comfortable with. If it was really Joey who said "I'm driving." to his aunt, then I feel like he was trying to keep it under wraps who he was with -- why? I'm don't know. But maybe it was someone that people would have frowned upon him being with or something. Maybe he had intended to only meet this person in the parking lot and talk, but the person encouraged him to get into the car and go somewhere else.

I don't know. Just speculating.
moo

"There is a high probability that he was dead prior to going in the river," Franklin County Coroner Anahi Ortiz said. "We cannot determine that with 100 percent certainty."

Originally Posted by Hatfield
Ive been looking at the maps and trying to maybe figure out if he was abbreviating his location if he was being taken somewhere against his will.

The best I could come up with is John H McConnell Blvd + Studio Movie Grill with the thought that maybe he was abbreviating John H + Studio ("Jnhstioj"). The location is close to where he was found. Ive got a link to the map of the area below if it works. Its just a short trip south of there to some parks that could get access to the River.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...d3a0b3e99e691e

Not quite, but good try.

What do you mean by good try? Are these locations not accurate or the places don't exist?
Sorry, I'm confused by your reply to this person's post.
:dunno:

Stephanie Stegmeier, of Circleville, fought tears as she spoke of her younger brother before the candlelight vigil.

"Joey was so kind," she said. "He was loved by so many people."

Stegmeier said she and her family were touched that so many people came out recently to the Short North to search for her brother after he went missing from the Union Cafe in that neighborhood on March 5.

"I am so grateful," Stegmeier, 33, said. "Over 200 people came out, and many didn't even know him."

LaBute's family and many others who came to Thursday night's brief remembrance are left with unanswered questions about LaBute's disappearance and death.

"It's very hard when you don't have the answers you want. When you don't know the how and the why," said Aaron Eckhardt of BRAVO, an organization that works to end violence against the LGBT community.

Police investigators say they also still don't have the answers surrounding LaBute's death, but Franklin County Coroner Anahi Ortiz said there is a "high probability" that LaBute was already dead when his body went into the Scioto River. "We cannot determine that with 100 percent certainty," she said.

~snip

Video at link: http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...nds-family-of-26-year-old-mourn-at-vigil.html

The letters do seem random and its tough to make any sense of them although for someone that texted a lot was wondering if he was trying to abbreviate something and maybe miskeyed 1 or 2 letters if the guy was right there in the car with him.

Its very confusing for sure that scrambled text.

Here is my guess---- and only a guess based on what is most common from following other cases.

I don't think it was a drug overdose (cause he was in the river). I don't think it was a serial killer (its almost easier to think there is one big bad person out there than to think about SO many bad people out there all around us, but I don't think it is reality in this case). I don't think it is a "hate" crime of someone who didn't like him due to his race, creed, color, sexual orientation.

What I do think is that it is someone he knows. I think they maybe had it out (jilted, called out, told off?) and he got strangled. I think they dumped him in the river after he died. I think the police have already questioned this person and pinged their phones. I think that the reason the investigated that area was because of phone pings (maybe even killer and Joeys phones both pinging in the area). When he was found there, it was immediately considered suspicious because killer suspect's phone was already proven to be there at some point in that night after Joey went missing. And killer suspect probably lied and said he was home, but the police knew his phone pinged somewhere else. The same somewhere else that Joey's dead body was eventually found.

I guess we will see. This line of logic is (unfortunately) pretty common around these parts (the Websleuths parts, that is). If I think about how close really bad people are to every where we go, it makes me terrified. I am sorry that it seems like Joey's path was crossed with one of those people. I really hope that the police are on to whatever happened to him. I have a feeling they are. I hope the killer is arrested and convicted. I hope that justice is served, in the form of a very long sentence behind bars, where killer can spend the rest of his days.

Yep. Just my opinion.

Hi Everyone,

Please remember not to post something as fact unless you can back it up with a link.

Thank you,
Tricia

Good theories but since he actually communicated on his cell phone and indicated "Im driving" then don't you think he would have used that opportunity to say he is being kidnapped or something if he did not leave voluntarily?

Perhaps everything with the other guy was going good at the point. Then, things changed after that for the worse.

Coroner stated Joey died around 3 weeks ago, based on the level of decomposition of his body. Joey was a sweet kind soul, and my heart hurts since finding out about his passing. I know one day his murderer will be brought to justice, because I refuse to ever let Joey's spirit die... Words can not describe how much this whole situation has effected me, the sleepless nights and anxiety filled days have now turned to complete sorrow and devastation. I pray and send positive thoughts to his parents and family, as I can not begin to know the heart break they are going through right now.

Rest peacefully my friend.... Gone way to soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coroner stated Joey died around 3 weeks ago, based on the level of decomposition of his body. Joey was a sweet kind soul, and my heart hurts since finding out about his passing. I know one day his murderer will be brought to justice, because I refuse to ever let Joey's spirit die... Words can not describe how much this whole situation has effected me, the sleepless nights and anxiety filled days have now turned to complete sorrow and devastation. I pray and send positive thoughts to his parents and family, as I can not begin to know the heart break they are going through right now.

Rest peacefully my friend.... Gone way to soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(((Hugs)))

The letters do seem random and its tough to make any sense of them although for someone that texted a lot was wondering if he was trying to abbreviate something and maybe miskeyed 1 or 2 letters if the guy was right there in the car with him.

Its very confusing for sure that scrambled text.

In my opinion, I think he was struggling to text. I don't think he was trying to type out a word, per say. I think that it was almost like a cry for help- he was in a struggle and could not properly text.

I have an iPhone 6s and when I typed in the gibberish text I got Justin. That is a name that was mentioned in the previous thread as a roommate of his and also an employee of Union Cafe. Was Joeys roommate working the night he went missing and could he have been texting his roommates name? And just for clarification, I don't know any one named Justin so it isn't a name that my phone would want to auto-correct for me.
Here is a link you can put into whatever search engine you use to watch the video where the news reporter interviewed him.

http://wdtn.com/2016/03/10/family-desperate-for-news-about-missing-man-as-search-enters-sixth-day/

I have an iPhone 6s+ and when I type those letters in in a text message I get the word "injustice" as the autocorrect suggestion.

I hope that isn't what happens here.

I don't ever remember even hearing about this. Very interesting- does anyone know where he disappeared from or the circumstances surrounding his disappearance?

I don't know this as fact, but if I remember correctly, this case involved mental health issues, so it wasn't like a suspected abduction or murder situation. Perhaps that's why there isn't as much info. The local case that really still remains a mystery, IMO, is the Brian Shaffer case. Today is the 10th anniversary of his disappearance from OSU campus.

I'm leaning toward the accidental (on Joeys part) or intentional (on a perpetrators part) drug overdose. I'm feeling like maybe someone did it on purpose or not, and Joey died in this persons car. Maybe he dumped the body in the river that night or maybe dumped it someone else and moved it to the river the following weekend, when it wasn't so busy in downtown Columbus. I don't believe it's a death by strangulation and here's a good article on what makes me think strangulation isn't the way he died, besides that, a coroner would be able to tell if he were strangled.
http://www.markwynn.com/wp-content/uploads/death-by-strangulation.pdf

I would not dare make suppositions on how Joey died, I am content to let the detectives do their work.

The local case that really still remains a mystery, IMO, is the Brian Shaffer case. Today is the 10th anniversary of his disappearance from OSU campus.

There are similarities between Joey's case and the Shaffer case that are very troubling. They look alike, both attractive, likable men, both 26/27 years old, and both just vanish into thin air from a popular columbus bar while out with friends. I think its suspicious that Joey went missing only 3 weeks shy of the 10 year anniversary of the Shaffer disappearance. I remember reading in connection with the Hannah Graham case in Virginia, that Morgan Harrington's mom was very vocal and thought it was the same killer from the beginning because Graham disappeared under similar circumstances only a few weeks before the 5 year anniversary of Harrington's disappearance. Turns out she was right. Although, in the Shaffer case, the friend Brian was out with that evening stopped cooperating very early on in the investigation, refused to take at least two polygraphs and hired a local lawyer to handle questions from the police and the press. He no longer lives in the Columbus area. The True Crime Garage recently did an interesting podcast on the Shaffer case.

Ok...I could easily dismiss the idea that all these clusters of cases in the past 15 or so years are a result of something sinister IF so many of these cases did not have so many similarities linking them together. And despite what people say, the idea of young, athletic, college aged men being intoxicated and falling into bodies of water and drowning is NOT that common. College kids of have drinking of a LONG time; however, this really did not start happening with such alarming frequency until the late 90's. Additionally, those who point to statistics about this gender and age group being the highest for "accidental" drownings are not taking into account the fact that most of the drowning statistics used to compile this statistic are for recreational drowning mainly during summer months.

Please trust that I understand why some have a hard time buying the idea that there is a group of individuals targeting these young men and murdering them. It's easy to dismiss by using hyperbolic statemenst about "cloaked bohemian figures" stalking men. I get it. I was skeptical at first too. However, the more I started researching the cases and seeing blatant links, the more I believe many (not all) of these drowning are certainly NOT accidents.

Just a few things:

*In MANY of these cases, the guys were not even drunk and/or had no alcohol in their systems
*If they were so drunk that they were impaired enough to careless tumble into these bodies of water, how come NOBODY ever sees them do so?
*There are MANY college campuses and downtown areas that are surrounded by water where this type of thing never happens; if it is so common, why does it seem restricted to certain geographical locations?
*Many of the victims were not in the water as long as they were missing, but LE still dismissed it as "accidental."
*Personal belongings, such as cell phones, wallets, shoes are often found in completely different locations. Several of the victims made mysterious phone calls before vanishing.
*Bodies often show up in bodies of water that were heavily searched the days/weeks prior to the discovery. Keep in mind, some of these bodies of water were ponds/retention ponds and creeks that were only a foot or so deep. Yet someone, even drunk, these young athletic guys fell in and could not get out.
*We know that in a few cases that are the quintessential example of this scenario, after the family pressured LE and/or hired their own medical examiner, the cause of deaths were changed from accidental to homicide or undetermined (Chris Jenkins, Patrick McNeil, Todd Geib to name a few)

Now, these are just some of the similarities that connect many of these cases. I'd say forget about the Smiley Face Killer theory and objectively look at the circumstances. I think it becomes apparent that something is not right....

What we do know is that Joey's case involves many of the circumstances above. I tend to think that the fact the these are often easily dismissed as "accidental" has allowed it to continue for so long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back