OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this have been done to cover up another crime or retaliation for one already comitted?

Yep! That's how it always was growing up (hey! Found $300 in this old purse) it sounds RIDICULOUS to those who don't live it. Growing up country also meant growing up poor, while we would hoard the money we got and forgoed thinks like Internet, cable, expensive cell phones, we wouldn't take out loans. Cars were paid for with cash and weren't anything to write home about but got you to A and B. Sometimes the men would try to fix the cars up and sell them for more money. Selling random things from the house to pay the electric bill or buy groceries when we'd fall on hard times. Or selling things to buy something you need, like a new furnace because you don't have the ability to take our the loan for it. I don't find much about the Rhoden's abnormal, because I know how it is. I also know how easy it is to get into slinging pot and realizing the profit that can be made. For people that don't have money and find themselves in legal trouble etc, sometimes it seems like the only option to make a quick buck knowing they aren't qualified for positions. Once that money starts rolling in, it's hard to just stop. It's a crappy cycle to get sucked into, I'm so happy I was able to break free from it, (though I do still live in the country, but have dissociated ourselves from certain family members) but so many people can't. I never landed myself in legal troubles which I think helped me in the long run. Selling any type of drugs is a viscous cycle, you start seeing the money come in and you want more and more and more, it's only normal to want more for yourself or your family, to want to help your kids so they don't struggle their whole life like you did... You aren't thinking about the dangers you are facing, you're blinded by the money.

ETA: someone had mentioned country folk are usually land rich and cash poor, and that's exactly it. The land stays in the family, but the families still struggle, but they find a way to keep their land.

Very good post, explains it well.

I am a country girl at heart, the old saying you can take the girl/boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl/boy fits me well.

ETA: someone had mentioned country folk are usually land rich and cash poor, and that's exactly it. The land stays in the family, but the families still struggle, but they find a way to keep their land.

Yes, our family has so much family land that isn't even used. I own land I have no idea where it actually is. Also if a cousin has land and wants to get rid of it, they sell to a family member. Could be an 8th cousin, but you sell to a family member.

But he did have an open domestic case still. According to the pike county civil court records, the case was closed when he died. And there was a judgement against him for court fees starting in 2002. I will have to go back to see when the land was inherited. I think Chris was treated by the family as the oldest "responsible" male. The family would pick the one most capable, not just because he's the oldest.

I agree. Maybe CRsr got it because they knew he wouldn't sell it just to make money and would keep it in the family, that's a big deal to these big families that are land rich. It's almost disrespectful to sell property that's been in the family for generations.

In a perfect world of a big hospital run by the book.

No pretty much anywhere. I'm an RN, not in a hospital/geriatric setting and anyone not licensed has limited contact or opportunity with medications especially controlled medications. It's taken very seriously especially in nursing home settings and if she had prior drug convictions it would hinder her employment chances for sure. States don't differ much on those things.

Yep! That's how it always was growing up (hey! Found $300 in this old purse) it sounds RIDICULOUS to those who don't live it.
<snipped>
drugs is a viscous cycle, you start seeing the money come in and you want more and more and more, it's only normal to want more for yourself or your family, to want to help your kids so they don't struggle their whole life like you did... You aren't thinking about the dangers you are facing, you're blinded by the money.

I could give you personal life stories to backup every single thing your talking about. Instead I am going to just pick one.Family took care of family. If one member for whatever reason were down on their luck;family helped them out. Now,would they bad mouth them. Well, let's just say some things were said about,"certain individuals who made it a way of life" under their breath.

To close, the people from the Mississippi Delta have pride. Hard times scrapping by sure but never public assistance ever. To my knowledge my aunt who had cerebral palsy & lived with moma and papa. After they were gone collected Social Security Disability but never Welfare ever. Funerals everyone chipped in no questions and no handouts.

:cow:

Yes, our family has so much family land that isn't even used. I own land I have no idea where it actually is. Also if a cousin has land and wants to get rid of it, they sell to a family member. Could be an 8th cousin, but you sell to a family member.

We also own some property up in the UP. Couldn't tell you where it is either! Ha! We all have a piece up there! I'm not even 100% positive where my current property line goes too because it's all family surrounding us.

Could this have been done to cover up another crime or retaliation for one already comitted?
That is a possibility, especially if it was a bad crime and the family stood by the criminal.

One thing that happens a lot.. Someone can commit a crime against a person and even if they go to prison, they feel the need for their own justice when the person gets out.

People have been killed out in the country also for having a fence line too far over their property line..

I agree. Maybe CRsr got it because they knew he wouldn't sell it just to make money and would keep it in the family, that's a big deal to these big families that are land rich. It's almost disrespectful to sell property that's been in the family for generations.
Chris bought some land from a sibling years ago. I knew I recognized her name, had seen it. I saw her name in the obit.

I could give you personal life stories to backup every single thing your talking about. Instead I am going to just pick one.Family took care of family. If one member for whatever reason were down on their luck;family helped them out. Now,would they bad mouth them. Well, let's just say some things were said about,"certain individuals who made it a way of life" under their breath.

To close, the people from the Mississippi Delta have pride. Hard times scrapping by sure but never public assistance ever. To my knowledge my aunt who had cerebral palsy & lived with moma and papa. After they were gone collected Social Security Disability but never Welfare ever. Funerals everyone chipped in no questions and no handouts.

:cow:

Yes. We NEVER have ever relied on public assistance growing up in this scenario. It was make money, or die trying. Too much pride to take money from the state.

And don't get me wrong, with all my posts about the country living, everyone in our family were hard workers, but when you are making minimum wage supporting big families, it doesn't pay for everything. You kinda grow up with this hustle attitude. If your electric bill needs paid, you'll get it paid on your own somehow.

He was not necessarily the sole heir for Clarence. Very possible that Clarence left a will and named his son Christopher as executor.

If Clarence died intestate, his sole heir would have been his surviving spouse.

It's impossible to know for certain about who may have inherited Clarence's estate without seeing probation documents

As far as I've been able to determine, Pike County does not make their probate records available online.

Court records would also be the way to determine if Chris Sr. had a will or if he died intestate.

If he died intestate, his heirs would be his four grandchildren.

Here is a link to the Ohio Bar regarding intestate that includes some layman's language regaring Ohio statute of descent and distribution:

https://www.ohiobar.org/forpublic/resources/lawfactspamphlets/pages/lawfactspamphlet-1.aspx

Thanks. I have already looked at the intestacy law for Ohio. On the Pike Co. Property Assessor website, and I have not checked every property owned by Chris, Sr., but on at least one of the properties, it appears that a sister (daughter of Clarence) had a parcel of property that was transferred to her, and the transfer occurred after the death of Clarence. Under sale price, it states $0.

A few years later, ownership of the property is transferred by the sister to Chris, Sr. at apparently no cost to him as the sale price is recorded as $0.

I've missed a few days of sleuthing this case, and tried to do a thorough-ish quick reading of the subsequent threads.
It doesn't look like there's much new that's come out publicly?

I've missed a few days of sleuthing this case, and tried to do a thorough-ish quick reading of the subsequent threads.

Not really :/ Interview with older KR and LM, but not much.. Daily Mail has said some things - take that with a grain of salt.

Not really :/ Interview with older KR and LM, but not much.. Daily Mail has said some things - take that with a grain of salt.

Ah, I'll take Daily Mail with a truckload of salt ;)

How strange that everything is so silent. Has local LE accepted the assistance of FBI?

Yes. We NEVER have ever relied on public assistance growing up in this scenario. It was make money, or die trying. Too much pride to take money from the state.

And don't get me wrong, with all my posts about the country living, everyone in our family were hard workers, but when you are making minimum wage supporting big families, it doesn't pay for everything. You kinda grow up with this hustle attitude. If your electric bill needs paid, you'll get it paid on your own somehow.
Times are really different now in many ways, but none of my aunts, uncle or mother realized they grew up dirt poor. They had everything they needed, not everything they wanted. The house my mom grew up in was built for the $5.00 box of nails. All the family gave my grandfather the lumber, he had to buy the nails and they all built the house.

A lot of money was spent on farm animals, but that was food, not pets. My grandfather had some hunting dogs too, just a couple and guard dogs, but the guard dogs weren't pets. The only pets were the horses.

My mom was the baby and they never made her do anything so she never learned the canning, sewing, churning butter, etc. Having a TV at a time wouldn't matter out there, couldn't get an antenna that would pick up a good signal.

The best thing, my granny had a party line and I LOVED it. They also had outhouses when I was really young and a "fancy" underground well because there wasn't city water. I thought the outhouses were the best thing ever!

No and it leads to a lot of jumping down rabbit holes without any facts.irontail.jpg

Nothing new yet.

A suppressor isn't that quiet though.
Suppressors are tracked more closely than guns. No way an LE would use a legal suppressor in a murder.
They are difficult to get, they take months and special forms before you know if you are approved and they track them closely.
It is much easier to buy an AK-47 than a suppressor.

Legal ones take a lot of time and red tape to acquire. They can be made at home using a simple oil filter (Car) or parts of a Mag Light (Flashlight). I saw it on a you tube video and they are just as effective as the high dollar ones.

There are also suppressors for shotguns too.
[video=youtube;vsPq9xtE69w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPq9xtE69w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPq9xtE69w[/video]

Something else to consider about keeping land in a family and keeping it intact (undivided) is potential for land to generate revenue.

Seems to me that some of the land titled in the name of Chris Sr. et al is heavily timbered and could produce revenue by leasing timber rights.

My personal experience with inherited land is that we kept our income potential from the land higher by keeping it undivided. In our case it made it possible to continue leasing the land for cattle and crop production.

Of course, heavily timbered land in that part of Ohio appears to also have revenue potential for illicit crop production.

IF these murders were motivated within the larger family, it is possible that disputes could arise from land usage and income distribution.

Big IF.

I am curious about the relationship between Chris and Kenneth. Brothers, but did they get along? Did Kenneth feel wronged by Chris over something? I don't find a Facebook page for Kenneth to see if they were Facebook friends. But, is he pictured along with the rest of the family in these many memorial pictures? I have seen a few pictures of Kenneth, but it seems the Memorials are more about the others. Is he included in any of the fundraising or ******** pages? Why was Kenneth so paranoid! Drugs can cause a person to be paranoid. I just really wonder where he fit into the family or if he was estranged from them. I think we all assumed they were close, since he was killed too. But, were they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie