AZ AZ - Alissa Turney, 17, Phoenix, 17 May 2001 *stepdad ARREST in 2020, acquitted*

Just saw the 20/20 episode last night and had never heard of this case before. Wow. Just wow. The stepfather sounds like an undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, at the very least. Skeptical of the friends' claims that she was bound and gagged; why wouldn't someone go to a parent or school counselor with that info before the girl disappeared? That being said, I have no doubt the stepfather killed that girl. I also believe someone in the family knows what happened and isn't telling. It sounds like alotta people let this girl down and she desperately needed some help. So sad.

I saw the episode also...dude is creepy but also calculating. Whatever he may have did/didnt do it was planned out entirely. But, I also think it's a game to him....he's got that BTK arrogance about him...investigators have not looked in the right place...

Clues lie in his manifesto and those tapes...

just watched Alissa's story on Youtube.

What a CREEP.

He reminded me a lot of Steven Powell's dad. That sort of slime ball, capable of just about anything.

I hope she is found soon and he is brought to justice for what he did.

You are sooooo right! I wouldn't have come to that conclusion on my own, but now that you have, yes, the similarities are uncanny. Excellent observation, thank you!

This guy is a socio/psychopath extraordinare . sick sick sick is what he is IMO. But there just isn't enough to arrest right now.

So what did happen? Did they find the truth? That beautiful teen deserves closure. Ofcourse my heart wants her to be alive and safe.
But video recordings not being given to the police of the day she disappeared because there was "nothing" in them just seems so not convincing. The 20 20 special makes me feel that step dad has something to do with this. It doesn't matter if so many years have passed, there has got to be some evidence in the house and the piles of stuff collected by the police.

Wow. Step dad did it. There is no doubt.
He would have taken her out of school like he had done before and brought her back to the house and attempted something on her, she probably threatened to go to the police and she is nearly 18 so he snapped and killed her. He may have forced her to write the note, if he didnt forge it himself.
If she ran away, he would show the footage of her leaving the house, there would be footage of her leaving on the inside and then on the outside. You dont run to California with no money or clothes.
I really hope those bones they found bring answers. Have they finished the DNA on those?
All I could find was the girl in the container, but I dont think they are the same ones? This story made out there was only a few bones.

Watching a repeat airing of the 20/20 highlighting Alissa's case. Wow. Step dad makes my hair stand on end.

Watching a repeat airing of the 20/20 highlighting Alissa's case. Wow. Step dad makes my hair stand on end.

Doesn't he, though? He radiates waves of crazy.

I hope they find Alissa and her family and friends can find some peace.

Watched this morning. I believe stepdad is guilty. And IMO this was planned. The letter, her vanishing without a trace for so long and the footage disappearing. I hope that someday the truth comes out. Her siblings need closure and the stepdad needs to be brought to justice.

A story was recently written about this case. Most of it is a summary of the events and circumstances surrounding Alissa's disappearance but it also includes an interview with her sister Sarah.

Missing Arizona children: Phoenix teen Alissa Turney vanishes, killer confesses, explosives stockpile found

Today, Sarah still lives in Paradise Valley, about a mile from where she grew up and where her home was raided.

In a home office, she has a file cabinet filled with documents and records connected to her sister’s case and her father.

She goes through the material every day and writes. She’s been working on a book, she said, about Alissa and her disappearance.

“Writing helps connect all these small dots for me. It’s pretty astonishing when I think about how all the small things become big,” she said.

Sarah said she has been left with many questions after her father was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison in June 2010 for the unlawful possession for 26 pipe bombs.

The old VHS tapes included footage of Alissa at home, but there were mostly ordinary family moments with little impact on her case.

Uncovered audio recordings led nowhere and investigators dug through the backyard to no avail, she said.

The two speak occasionally, she said, through email. At first she would ask him questions about her sister and about what police had found in their home, but Michael would divert the conversation, she said.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons website, Michael is set to be released in August 2017.

“It’ll be an adjustment. I don’t know if I want him in my life at all,” Sarah said.

“I don’t know conclusively. But, everything points to my father being involved. I know that she would’ve reached out to someone by now. But there's the guilt with giving up hope. I want to keep hope alive.”

Authorities believe foul play was involved in Alissa’s disappearance as it is uncharacteristic of runaways to leave behind all their belongings and money. Alissa had left $1,800 untouched in her bank account and left her makeup, hairbrush, keys and phone behind, and never contacted friends or family again.

Michael Turney remains an investigative lead and has not been named as a suspect in Alissa Turney's disappearance, according to detectives.

I just finished watching the 20/20 on this and all I can say is my heart goes out to all the family and friends of this girl!

What Happened to Alissa Turney? Update on Her Arrested Stepfather in 2018
851ec61e3f58039027c60bf597a30ee1.jpg

Missing teen Alissa Turneys case has not turned up any new leads. She was 17 years old when she disappeared, and police believe foul play may be a factor. Her stepfather, Mike Turney was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison.
b8ba85a28c59e2520f6114940e1a76eb.jpg

[...]

She is still believed to be in the Arizona area or in California, and urging people to contact Child Protection Education of America, Inc. at 866-USA-CHILD, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST if they have any information about Alissa Turneys whereabouts.

Timeline at link: https://crimeola.com/what-happened-alissa-turney-stepfather-arrested-2018/

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back