Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So....my son went to the theater to see Purple Rain with me, he was a perfect gentleman and said nothing negative during the whole movie ... Well, except for in the beginning when they played Let's go Crazy and he looked at me and said
" Mom, you are going to get us thrown out of here if you are going to be singing "...lol

When we left I asked him..." Did you hate it ? He said " yes " I said " all of it ?" He replied that Prince was definitely a talented musician and could shred but he hated the movie. We didn't talk about it anymore until today when we had to go n a little road trip... And we listened to Kevin Smiths podcast about Prince on the way home....Chaka mad ?
He critiqued the movie and had me in tears laughing the hardest I have laughed since Prince passed...
Was interesting to see the movie through his 23 yr old eyes...
Prince punches Appalonia and she falls on the ground and he screams at her " don't I make you happy ? "
How did he afford those fancy royal looking clothes on a bar singers budget ?
How did he pay for that new motorcycle on his budget ?
How could he go to work and leave 20 candles burning next to plastic masks and not burn the house down ..
Why did he still live at home when he appeared to,be close to 30 yrs old....
Why did Prince spend half the movie trying to show that he could ride a motorcycle ...
And the two girl band members tell him off and he just takes it ?
There's more I just can't remember now lol

He was really spot on with his analysis ...but I'm so glad I went.
He told me that he went for me cause people he didn't want me to be sad for a week if I did t go...

He did about making me choke on my Coke when we were discussing the Revolutions reunion ..I said that I wonder who they will get to fill in for Prince...he said ..."Adam Lambert " lololololololol

A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
Scenes from an intimate 2014 interview at Paisley Park

“…As we walk along, he shows no sign of reported double-hip-replacement- surgery – no limp, no cane, no apparent discomfort. His brown eyes are alert, and his wit is quick – looking back, it's nearly impossible to square his affect with posthumous rumors of an opioid addiction. He claims not to feel the passage of time, and says mortality doesn't enter his thoughts: "I don't think about 'gone.'" To the contrary, he is immersed in the moment, invested in a creative future that he believes will be long and bright.”

By Brian Hiatt May 2, 2016

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ince-rolling-stones-lost-cover-story-20160502

And don't forget , Vanity died this year as well. She died of kidney failure, but for a long time before and after her death it was speculated that she had AIDS.
Prince was very upset and dedicated a concert to her the night she passed and told many stories about how he was in love with her and she was the finest woman ever to live ...
I'm not being disrespectful by saying this, as for me, it changes nothing .
My most favorite singer everrrrrrr Freddie Mercury died from complications of AIDS , I sincerely am not judgemental about this at all. It is a syndrome caused by a virus and but for the grace of God most of us could have been unknowingly exposed at some point in our lifetime.
Just saying...

I think Vanity really did die from kidney failure, but it was a drug overdose many years ago that damaged her kidneys leading to their ultimate failure. Lamar Odom, are you listening??

I think Vanity really did die from kidney failure, but it was a drug overdose many years ago that damaged her kidneys leading to their ultimate failure. Lamar Odom, are you listening??

Sad....:-(
She was so gorgeous , sultry and exotic ... pshhhhh....Lamar too far gone ..l

Vanity (Denise) was so beautiful..
She said that Prince was the only man she ever truly loved ...
There was an audio of that concert floating around , but I can't find it now.
Here's an article about if that will make you cry, or at least feel like somethings in your eye.
Interesting to hear someone's take on Vanitys illness who would have more insight than me.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r/news-story/d80310448ef160275398c7f36d2f221d

I love this from the article -

"The adoring crowd partied like it was 1979 — phones weren’t allowed or used, and there were no media photographers. It lives on only in memory.

Prince is obviously a genius, but he’s got another commodity that’s been lost today — mystery. He’s the kind of artist who decides to tour on a whim, then reinvents his catalogue on a piano and blows your mind."

I really hope that his last concerts were recorded because the pieces I've heard here and there are total gems.

I'd be very surprised if Prince had a long term illness, that he knew about, like Aids. - End stage of that or any major disease, he wouldn't be world touring, scheduling Pop Up concerts, parties, etc.

But he also wasn't taking care after being hospitalized for an acute crisis, imo.

I kind of think he is as surprised as we are...

I haven't been on Websleuths in over a year or two, but this thread brought me back to post. I'm so happy to see a group of people take Prince's death seriously, and with appreciation for his extraordinary talent. Have been lurking since his death - well done, folks :)

I grew up in the inner city and was a weird? Quirky? Nerdy? Little girl. At age 11 or so I discovered Prince's music via the 1999 and Controversy albums, and I was hooked. That funk plus r&b with a touch of rock really struck me. His absolute refusal to be put into a label both musically (he didn't want want to get pigeonholed into R&B or Black music at the time, because record companies used it to keep black artists off the pop and rock charts) and sexually (gay or straight? As he asked on Controversy) really hit home with me. I loved that unlike most of the "macho" male bands and singers of the 80s he was not derogatory to women in his music; he made himself vulnerable, if you know his lyrics. Here was a man who was not above pleading with women, rather than ordering them around. He sang about what he would do for a woman. It was so different to other male acts of the time.

I really fell in love with both his persona and his music. I took up guitar because of Prince. I dressed like him. My mother, bless her, helped me buy all his albums. Never even raised an eyebrow over Dirty Mind, with its cover of Prince in bikini underwear and legwarmers and trench coat lol, even though I was only 11 or so! And my mom was a slightly darker skinned June Cleaver type lol! And for the last 35+ years I have followed him, so grateful for his music. I followed his protege acts - the time, Sheila e, the Family, Maserati, etc. I am so thankful I finally was able to see him live in 2013. I can't believe it took so long! But he was amazing. He had the moves and voice of a 20something even though he was well in his 50s.

I have been so hard hit by his death that my family is literally sending me condolence cards and calling me to see what I think and if I'm okay! I don't know what to think of the news. I knew about the hip problems - maybe he took painkillers and got addicted? I have heard the AIDS rumors for years. Either way, he was, at heart, a human being, with all our frailties. The best of us can become addicted to opioids even when we take them for the most "legitimate" of reasons. AIDS? In my mind it only means you're guilty of maybe being too trusting. I'm more angry at Larry Graham for converting him in the late 90s/2000s. He preached for two years to a man who was vulnerable after the loss of his infant son - and converted him to a point that perhaps he was more likely to lean on prayer than science. And because of that, he died alone in a damn elevator (ugly irony!), and the world no longer will get to enjoy the fruits of his genius.

Huge loss. Sorry for the ramble. I've been criticized over the last week or two for caring too much about a celebrity. But Prince and his music, his individuality, his independence, were all truly an inspiration to me in so many ways for more than 35 years. I'm still reeling.

Thanks for such a respectful thread here, truly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
Scenes from an intimate 2014 interview at Paisley Park

“…As we walk along, he shows no sign of reported double-hip-replacement- surgery – no limp, no cane, no apparent discomfort. His brown eyes are alert, and his wit is quick – looking back, it's nearly impossible to square his affect with posthumous rumors of an opioid addiction. He claims not to feel the passage of time, and says mortality doesn't enter his thoughts: "I don't think about 'gone.'" To the contrary, he is immersed in the moment, invested in a creative future that he believes will be long and bright.”

By Brian Hiatt May 2, 2016

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ince-rolling-stones-lost-cover-story-20160502

Now I'm crying again.... Great article !

Damn - starting at 11:40 or so, Computer Blue, best track off Purple Rain. Guitar just sings for most of that song. This is the concert from 83 where some of the purple rain album tracks were recorded live at Fifth Avenue. Who is skilled enough to cut an album off a live nightclub performance? Prince!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-O-LsD7czo&feature=youtu.be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garden lady ....I feel ya ...on all of it...especially the Larry Graham part ....

Garden lady ....I feel ya ...on all of it...especially the Larry Graham part ....

Seriously... Whether it turns out that religion played a part in his death or not, I've long been irritated by his "conversion". IMO, Graham preyed on a man who was vulnerable after the loss of a child and a miscarriage. Prince did not need "saving". He had been having a conversation of sorts with God via his lyrics for decades before Larry Graham and religion came along. A more meaningful conversation than knocking on doors and putting out a penalty jar for swearing at paisley park.

Honestly it makes me so angry. And then after all the conversion he dies alone. I so hope he went quickly. For all his need for privacy I think he was profoundly lonely. It comes through in his lyrics. :/

Seriously... Whether it turns out that religion played a part in his death or not, I've long been irritated by his "conversion". IMO, Graham preyed on a man who was vulnerable after the loss of a child and a miscarriage. Prince did not need "saving". He had been having a conversation of sorts with God via his lyrics for decades before Larry Graham and religion came along. A more meaningful conversation than knocking on doors and putting out a penalty jar for swearing at paisley park.

Honestly it makes me so angry. And then after all the conversion he dies alone. I so hope he went quickly. For all his need for privacy I think he was profoundly lonely. It comes through in his lyrics. :/

Yep, he pounced at the most vulnerable time in his life ... It just seemed so extreme ...I've been going through the same mantra in my head ....and I seriously wonder if poor Mayte just could not deal with it all.

Garden lady, in the Oprah interview he was so damn sweet , and just adorable.He knew God, he told Oprah that Mayte made it easier for him to talk to God and to be the man he wanted to be....
Enter Larry Graham and things got extreme very quickly ..,jmo

A real heartbreaker of an article .... The reason the person making the 911 call did not know the address at Paisley Park was because it was someone from a California drug rehab .....

http://m.startribune.com/addiction-doctor-was-to-have-seen-prince-just-before-his-death/378051471/

Heartbreaking. If the painkiller addiction is true, it's all the more sad - he literally drove himself into chronic pain in order to entertain his audiences. As I said before, I saw him in 2013 - well into his 50s. He gave more of himself in that performance than someone half his age. And he'd been doing it for decades. An amazing showman. He must have been in so much pain, the hip problem stories have been around for years. :(

I did not think I could be anymore heartbroken over this.....

So now the statement of saving your prayers for a couple of days makes sense...he was going to need our prayers for rehab ..

We Lost A Spiritual Brother In Prince

This is very balanced article about Prince's life as one of Jehovah's Witnesses and answers many questions. It's interesting that Prince asked Larry Graham to move from Jamaica to Minnesota to study the Bible with him.

“We started studying the Bible on a regular basis,” recalled Graham. “And the more he learned, the more questions he had, like: ‘Why are we here? Where is everything heading? What’s the future for mankind, for the Earth?’ ”
Prince was particularly drawn to biblical messages of a hopeful future, he said. One of his favorite passages was Revelations 21:3-4, which states that God ultimately will dwell with his people and that “death will be no more.”
“A lot of people will remember Prince for his music,” he added. “But he’d also want people to know what he learned from the Bible. We lost a really good friend and a spiritual brother.”

http://m.startribune.com/prince-s-death-puts-spotlight-on-jehovah-s-witnesses/377972981/

A real heartbreaker of an article .... The reason the person making the 911 call did not know the address at Paisley Park was because it was someone from a California drug rehab .....

http://m.startribune.com/addiction-doctor-was-to-have-seen-prince-just-before-his-death/378051471/
Heartbreaking for sure. This article is quite the bombshell confirming more or less Prince's addiction to opioids. So tragic to think help was on its way but not soon enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Heartbreaking for sure. This article is quite the bombshell confirming more or less Prince's addiction to opioids. So tragic to think help was on its way but not soon enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The person that came to help save his life instead found him dead ...oh damn !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea