Australia Australia - Lucille Butterworth, 20, Claremont, Tasmania, 25 Aug 1969

So terrible and sad that it has taken so long. Better late than never though.

I hope her family and fiance get the resolution they're seeking.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cou...e/news-story/be6bb6a66998bfcac3f9131f159c51b0

It will be up to Tasmania’s Director of Public Prosecutions to assess Mr Cooper’s findings and decide whether to charge Hunt.

The coroner also found that the initial police case, which was treated as that of a runaway, was lacking in effort.

“There is no doubt in my mind that had the matter been investigated properly perhaps in 1969 and 1970 ... then the grief and anxiety experienced by Miss Butterworth’s family may well have been lessened,” he said.

Hear this story all too often. What were police doing back then? I guess today with better forensic technology plus the forced transparency due to social media, awareness about and accountability for corruption etc police can't get away with just brushing things that are too hard under the rug so much anymore.

Coronial inquest uncovers the terrible truth of a four-decade cover-up

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/coronial-inquest-uncovers-the-terrible-truth-of-a-fourdecade-coverup/news-story/4f6043d0a73701c44a9b44e8560fbe77

“It must be said that the approach of Tasmania Police to Miss Butterworth’s disappearance in 1969, and for many years after that, was poor,” Coroner Simon Cooper found this week.

But all of the other shortcomings paled into insignificance when it was revealed one of Tasmania’s most senior and decorated officers actively covered up a confession from the man now found to have been solely responsible for Miss Butterworth’s death.

The witness, now aged in his 60s, has given police a detailed statement in which he claims that as a child he overheard a conversation between two men on a farm in southern Tasmania.

He believes one of the men was Geoffrey Charles Hunt.

He claims the man spoke about dumping a woman's body on the outskirts of Hobart near Granton.

New witness emerges in 50yo Lucille Butterworth cold case

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo