CA CA - Chris Giauque, 36, Mendocino County, 9 Aug 2003

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
xi91c6H.jpg

http://humboldtsentinel.com/tag/chris-robert-giauque/

On the evening of August 9, 2003, Chris Robert Giauque went to the Spyrock Road area of Mendocino County and met with an associate near the Iron Peak lookout. This area is located north of the town of Laytonville, California...

Reportedly, the associate gave Chris Giauque a ride into and out of the property. Chris Giauque was reportedly last seen in this area around 9:00 PM. It is possible that Chris Giauque became a robbery-homicide victim.Chris Giauque had made the trip to pick up a substantial amount of cash and it was possible that numerous people knew of the pending business transaction.

Chris Giauque’s pickup truck was located on August 10, 2003, approximately 50 miles north of Spyrock Road and 3 miles south of Myers Flat on the Avenue of the Giants near Elk Creek Road in Humboldt County. This location is north of Salmon Creek where Chris Giauque resided.

http://theava.com/archives/14163

Having been awarded $200,000 from his presumed murdered son Chris’s estate, Bob Giauque says he can think of no better way to spend it than to post a reward to find out who the killer is.

Missing since the night of Aug. 9, 2003, when he arranged to meet a partner to receive a money drop-off related to a Mendocino County marijuana-growing venture, it is assumed Chris Giauque was murdered. Although there’s been an investigation of multiple suspects and persons of interest, police haven’t been able to pin the crime on anyone.

Members of his family have sought information on their own and the newest effort is Bob Giauque’s offer of $150,000 for information leading an arrest and conviction and an additional $50,000 for information leading to the recovery of his son’s remains.

http://www.chrisreward.org/

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/giauque_chris.html

Chris is described as a white male, 6' to 6'2" tall and 150 pounds, with blue eyes and sandy blonde to brown hair worn in 4' long dreadlocks. He had several heart surgeries as a child and had a steel rod in his spine from a broken back.

Skeletal Human Remains Found by Eel River Canoeist

On May 15, 2016 at about 1:00 PM the Sheriff’s Office was notified by a person canoeing on the Eel River of possible human remains found on the Shively side of the Eel River near Stafford. Deputies responded to the location and were able to confirm that the remains were of human origin.

Check the article's comments - someone wondering if maybe these remains could be "Mr Giauque", so I thought I'd post here to watch for ID:

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/may/16/skeletal-human-remains-found-eel-river-canoeist/

I know this is figured to be a robbery/homicide, but I came across Mr. Giauque, while looking for missing people who might match an unidentified with a steel plate in his spine.
https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/3802

He'd voluntarily be way off track if this were he, but the the basic stats match; as well as the steel plate:

Doe is Mr. Giauque is:
Height 70 in., Estimated 6 ft
Weight 145 Lbs., Estimated 145 lbs
Date of death 5-23- 2006 Missing 8-9-2003
Hair: Brown , curly Sandy blonde to brown dreads
Mustache Full beard
Eyes: Blue Blue

There used to be an extensive thread on Chris Giauque. What became of it?

Chris Gianque was reported missing on Aug. 11, 2003. http://www.chrisreward.org/

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/the-humboldt-35/Slideshow/7775076/7775045

chris_robert_giauque_1.jpg
chris_robert_giauque_2.jpg
chris_robert_giauque_3.jpg

• Missing Since 08/09/2003
  • Missing From Spyrock, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 02/02/1967 (50)
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0 - 6'2, 145 - 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A hat, orange/red Carhartt pants and two shirts: one was a red, orange, and white Hawaiian print and the other was of unknown color.
  • Medical Conditions Giauque had several heart surgeries as a child.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Sandy blond to brown hair, blue eyes. Giauque had four-foot-long dreadlocks and a full beard at the time of his disappearance. Some agencies spell his last name "Giaugue." Giauque has previously suffered a broken back and had a steel rod implanted in his spine, with a resulting surgical scar on his back. He may use the alias name James Anthony Beam.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Giauque visited some friends in Spyrock, California during the evening hours of August 9, 2003. He left at approximately 9:00 p.m., driving his blue 1994 Toyota four wheel drive extended cab pickup truck with the California license plate number 5N92992.

He was on Spy Rock Road, headed for home, approximately a two-hour drive away. Giauque never arrived at his intended destination and has never been heard from again.

Giauque was reported missing two days later, on August 11. Two days after that, on August 13, his truck was located near the Avenue of the Giants, four miles south of Meyers Flat. This is north of the place where he was supposed to turn off to go home. There were no signs of either Giauque or any foul play around the truck.

Prior to his disappearance, Giauque was an activist promoting the legalization of marijuana for medical use. He has been arrested and jailed several times and his home has been raided due to his involvement with the drug, and he was on probation for marijuana cultivation at the time of his disappearance.

He sued law enforcement officials because they confiscated an ounce of marijuana at a traffic stop a few years before his disappearance. A judge eventually ordered the police to return the marijuana to Giauque, but the order was not given until after his disappearance.

Giauque reportedly sold over 100 pounds of outdoor marijuana for over $100,000 in cash on the night of his disappearance. He had an additional $1 million buried behind his home.

It is not known whether Giauque's involvement with marijuana has any bearing on his disappearance. His family says he was not involved with any other illegal substances. He is described as a nonviolent, generous person.

Investigators don't believe Giauque left of his own accord. He has never done so before, and he had married two weeks prior to his disappearance and had planned to honeymoon in Maui, Hawaii.

Police theorize that Giauque's disappearance is the result of a robbery/homicide. He was known to carry large amounts of cash on him and was allegedly doing so on the night of his disappearance. No evidence has been located to support the robbery theory, though.

Giauque was declared legally dead in 2010. His case remains unsolved and is being investigated as a homicide.

http://charleyproject.org/case/chris-robert-giauque

I know this is figured to be a robbery/homicide, but I came across Mr. Giauque, while looking for missing people who might match an unidentified with a steel plate in his spine.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

He'd voluntarily be way off track if this were he, but the the basic stats match; as well as the steel plate:

Doe is Mr. Giauque is:
Height 70 in., Estimated 6 ft
Weight 145 Lbs., Estimated 145 lbs
Date of death 5-23- 2006 Missing 8-9-2003
Hair: Brown , curly Sandy blonde to brown dreads
Mustache Full beard
Eyes: Blue Blue
Would you possibly be able to find that link to the unidentified for me? I'd like to take a look at it. If possible. Thank you :)

Chris Gianque was reported missing on Aug. 11, 2003. chrisreward

The Humboldt 35

chris_robert_giauque_1.jpg
chris_robert_giauque_2.jpg
chris_robert_giauque_3.jpg

• Missing Since 08/09/2003
  • Missing From Spyrock, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 02/02/1967 (50)
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0 - 6'2, 145 - 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A hat, orange/red Carhartt pants and two shirts: one was a red, orange, and white Hawaiian print and the other was of unknown color.
  • Medical Conditions Giauque had several heart surgeries as a child.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Sandy blond to brown hair, blue eyes. Giauque had four-foot-long dreadlocks and a full beard at the time of his disappearance. Some agencies spell his last name "Giaugue." Giauque has previously suffered a broken back and had a steel rod implanted in his spine, with a resulting surgical scar on his back. He may use the alias name James Anthony Beam.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Giauque visited some friends in Spyrock, California during the evening hours of August 9, 2003. He left at approximately 9:00 p.m., driving his blue 1994 Toyota four wheel drive extended cab pickup truck with the California license plate number 5N92992.

He was on Spy Rock Road, headed for home, approximately a two-hour drive away. Giauque never arrived at his intended destination and has never been heard from again.

Giauque was reported missing two days later, on August 11. Two days after that, on August 13, his truck was located near the Avenue of the Giants, four miles south of Meyers Flat. This is north of the place where he was supposed to turn off to go home. There were no signs of either Giauque or any foul play around the truck.

Prior to his disappearance, Giauque was an activist promoting the legalization of marijuana for medical use. He has been arrested and jailed several times and his home has been raided due to his involvement with the drug, and he was on probation for marijuana cultivation at the time of his disappearance.

He sued law enforcement officials because they confiscated an ounce of marijuana at a traffic stop a few years before his disappearance. A judge eventually ordered the police to return the marijuana to Giauque, but the order was not given until after his disappearance.

Giauque reportedly sold over 100 pounds of outdoor marijuana for over $100,000 in cash on the night of his disappearance. He had an additional $1 million buried behind his home.

It is not known whether Giauque's involvement with marijuana has any bearing on his disappearance. His family says he was not involved with any other illegal substances. He is described as a nonviolent, generous person.

Investigators don't believe Giauque left of his own accord. He has never done so before, and he had married two weeks prior to his disappearance and had planned to honeymoon in Maui, Hawaii.

Police theorize that Giauque's disappearance is the result of a robbery/homicide. He was known to carry large amounts of cash on him and was allegedly doing so on the night of his disappearance. No evidence has been located to support the robbery theory, though.

Giauque was declared legally dead in 2010. His case remains unsolved and is being investigated as a homicide.

Chris Robert Giauque – The Charley Project

There was evidence that he had been robbed and/or killed. They never found him or his money and they did find his vehicle he had been going to a very remote location where he planned to do a legitimate business deal involving weed, which was to result in him leaving the place in the woods on a mountain which was considered an entire community which was beyond a locked community gate.

Had this actually proceeded to the point of him successfully leaving it would have been likely that whoever was the one purchasing decided that they could probably just keeo the pounds and also basically their money too
Also the possibility that someone else might have been in the know and intercepted him during his departure and robbed him. That's the local concencus anyhow but very sad.

And no one has yet posted the incentive offered by Chris's father--$150,000 reward for info leading to arrest and conviction of Chris's murderers, and an additional $50,000 for recovery of his remains.

Chris's father has upped the ante. The reward is now $200,000 for the arrest and conviction of his murderer(s), and $200,000 for recovery of Chris's remains. MCT: Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Why do I use the term 'murderer(s) above when he is only reported as missing? Well, I invite the Websleuth community to tell us of another case where someone reporting a missing person to the authorities took a lawyer with them. Or where a wife legally widowed herself, and then had her deceased husband's death certificate hidden. And there's some other rather interesting stuff down this link. Feedback is definitely welcome.

Chris's father, dogged soul that he is, has posted the contents of his website in the Anderson Valley Advertiser. I reread the document. It is an objectively written account of all that the father knows about the case. It's a heartbreaker. It can be read at chrisreward.

I found myself wondering at Chris's naivete. He went alone into remote wilderness to split up $150,000 cash, armed with nothing more than a pocket knife. It shows a touching but misguided belief by marijuana activists that others dealing in pot are as ethically nonviolent as themselves. Nor was Chris the only one fooling himself. The Reverend Leslie Crane comes to mind: CA - CA - Rev. Leslie Crane, 39, Laytonville, 18 Nov 2005. So does Jeff Joseph: CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014.

Which is to say, if your mental picture of the semi-licit pot market is of good old boys outrunning the law like Appalachian bootleggers during prohibition, think again. Think of the bootlegging wars in the streets of Chicago during the same era instead.

The weed merchants are beginning to hire heavily armed "security" for their plantations. And the beat goes up. Who will be the next to disappear or die in the wilderness?

Feb 1 2021
23 unforgettable North Coast cold cases and where each stands now
''23 unforgettable North Coast cold cases and where each stands now

Slide 4 of 23
Unsolved cold case: Chris Robert Giauque was last seen at about 9 p.m. on Aug. 9, 2003, near property on Simmerly Road in Covelo that he and a business associate owned, according to the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office. Giauque, who was on probation for marijuana cultivation, was on the property to collect money that he was owed, according to chrisreward.org. Investigators believe he may have been the victim of a robbery-homicide, but his body never was found. In 2018, Giaque’s father, Bob Giauque, hired private investigator Dawn King to help find his son. Anyone with information can contact the sheriff’s office tip line at 707-234-2100. (Mendo)''

Chris's father, dogged soul that he is, has posted the contents of his website in the Anderson Valley Advertiser. I reread the document. It is an objectively written account of all that the father knows about the case. It's a heartbreaker. It can be read at chrisreward.

I found myself wondering at Chris's naivete. He went alone into remote wilderness to split up $150,000 cash, armed with nothing more than a pocket knife. It shows a touching but misguided belief by marijuana activists that others dealing in pot are as ethically nonviolent as themselves. Nor was Chris the only one fooling himself. The Reverend Leslie Crane comes to mind: CA - CA - Rev. Leslie Crane, 39, Laytonville, 18 Nov 2005. So does Jeff Joseph: CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014.

Which is to say, if your mental picture of the semi-licit pot market is of good old boys outrunning the law like Appalachian bootleggers during prohibition, think again. Think of the bootlegging wars in the streets of Chicago during the same era instead.

The weed merchants are beginning to hire heavily armed "security" for their plantations. And the beat goes up. Who will be the next to disappear or die in the wilderness?
Pretty sensational comments. 99.9% of business goes off without a hitch up there

Chris Robert Giauque​

Chris Robert Giauque

On the evening of August 9, 2003, Chris Robert Giauque went to the Spyrock Road area of Mendocino County and met with an associate near the Iron Peak lookout. This area is located north of the town of Laytonville, California.

Chris Giauque was on probation for cultivation of marijuana and reportedly left his vehicle, a 1994 blue Toyota extra cab pickup truck at this location as he did not want to be seen in his truck on the property that he and the associate owned on Simmerly Road in Covelo, California.

Reportedly, the associate gave Chris Giauque a ride into and out of the property. Chris Giauque was reportedly last seen in this area around 9:00 PM. It is possible that Chris Giauque became a robbery-homicide victim.

Chris Giauque had made the trip to pick up a substantial amount of cash and it was possible that numerous people knew of the pending business transaction.

Chris Giauque's pickup truck was located on August 10, 2003 approximately 50 miles north of Spyrock Road and 3 miles south of Myers Flat on the Avenue of the Giants near Elk Creek Road in Humboldt County. This location is north of Salmon Creek where Chris Giauque resided.

To this date, Chris Giauque's body has not been located and his father (Bob Giauque) has established a website to aid in the investigation. The website located at www.chrisreward.org contains additional information on the circumstances of Chris Giauque's disappearance and an established reward.

The investigation into Chris Giauque's disappearance is being handled by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office in conjunction with the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with information in regards to the disappearance of Chris Giauque is asked to contact the Sheriff's Office Tip-Line by calling 707-234-2100.

• Age at time of murder: 36 years-old
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 145 lbs.
  • Hair: Brown
  • Eyes: Blue
  • MCSO Case#: 03-3247
  • Date of disappearance: August 9, 2003

Pretty sensational comments. 99.9% of business goes off without a hitch up there
If 1 out 100 deals go bad, with thousands of deals going on per month during harvest season, those odds still suck. I lived up there, I was good friends with both Les Crane and Jeff Joseph, and I have another friend that went missing as well named Elias Sorokin. That area of the world is like no other. The very first rule I was told when I arrived in Laytonville was to always use K turns in the street if I needed to turn around, and to NEVER use someones driveway to turn around.

The peace, love and hippy vibe, died with greed.

If 1 out 100 deals go bad, with thousands of deals going on per month during harvest season, those odds still suck. I lived up there, I was good friends with both Les Crane and Jeff Joseph, and I have another friend that went missing as well named Elias Sorokin. That area of the world is like no other. The very first rule I was told when I arrived in Laytonville was to always use K turns in the street if I needed to turn around, and to NEVER use someones driveway to turn around.

The peace, love and hippy vibe, died with greed.
I know all three cases of your friends. All very sad. I lived in humboldt for many years and was in "the industry" during my time there. My circles were pretty wide. Violence was extremely rare, more like 1 in 10,000 rare considering the amount of money changing hands every day there.
The hippy vibe died with meth and mafias

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back